Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Ways in which Morrowind indisputably inclined from Daggerfall

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yeah, Daggerfall is really fun for maybe 15-20 hours but then it starts to wear on you.

The dungeons are the real test in Daggerfall.
They will either break you, or mold you into a badass dungeon crawling hero extraordinaire.
After a while, you will definitely start to notice design patterns in dungeons and you can identify monsters by the sounds they make(very useful for locating the monster, if you have to complete a quest and kill it).

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
You are experiencing the honeymoon phase of Daggerfall, it will pass.
I beat Daggerfall's main quest a few weeks ago, so I don't think so. It's more like I just started playing Morrowind and thinking it's kinda shit. Maybe it'll grow on me like Daggerfall did with some more time.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Keep in mind you are comparing a procedurally generated game (one of the best) with a totally hand crafted game with manually placed statics (one of the best)

Which are completely opposite approaches to creating worlds. What you call incline between them, is linked to design decisions, not skill

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They're both really good and have their own sets of unique strengths and weaknesses. Daggerfall is my comfy autism escapism fantasy life simulator fallback game so overall I prefer it to Morrowind but the two games are so completely different in their approach to the genre that it's hard to even quantify incline and decline between them. I can't think of a single other CRPG that does what Daggerfall does at the scale it has, maybe it seems simple on the surface to a layman because most of the game world and dungeons are procedurally generated but I still find it very captivating to boot up, chuck a new character in and go hang out in some random part of High Rock or Hammerfell. It is just fundamentally not even remotely similar to what sandbox gameplay in Morrowind looks like.

I completed Arena for the first time only a few years ago and already I even have some fond memories of playing that game, even though it is extremely rough around the edges. If you can handle Daggerfall you can probably handle Arena's main quest just for the novelty of it, some of the dungeons are pretty interesting, I recommend giving it a shot.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I completed Arena for the first time only a few years ago and already I even have some fond memories of playing that game, even though it is extremely rough around the edges. If you can handle Daggerfall you can probably handle Arena's main quest just for the novelty of it, some of the dungeons are pretty interesting, I recommend giving it a shot.
Yeah, I played Arena, beat it about a month or two ago. Daggerfall is better in every way, even with its procedurally generated dungeons. I don't know why Daggerfall got rid of the flavor text that Arena had in its dungeons, though; those could be pretty atmospheric, and they even gave hints about where to go. Compare that to the one Daggerfall story dungeon where you have to click on a fucking torch to move a secret wall that doesn't even show up on the automap, or the other story dungeon where you have to click on a skull that's floating over a pit to open a trapdoor 10 minutes away.

Going from literally moving your mouse around like a spaz to swing your weapon to controlling it via arrow (And then realizing there's a handy checkbox to make your character stop slapping people with the side of an axe) was a kind of decline I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom