Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Ways in which Morrowind indisputably inclined from Daggerfall

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
a lot of codexers might scoff at it but not metagaming/powergaming will greatly increase your enjoyment
Very true! My current Knight playthrough is the most I've ever enjoyed this game. I had a similar experience with Morrowind - I kept trying to create the perfect custom class that would allow me to use combat and magic, because I figured I'd be missing out if I couldn't. I burned through 3 characters like this and didn't enjoy any of them. Now I'm playing a Nord Barbarian and having a great time. I have multiple weapon skills as primary skills, but that just encourages me to be more varied in my weapon usage. I have multiple armor skills, and so I have different types of armor equipped (that I also coordinated to make him look cool and in-character as a Nord). People say the preset classes are bad, but that's just because they're used to their powergaming. This is how Bethesda intended these games to be played.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Biggest problem with Daggerfall, imo, is that after a few hours you've seen everything. Every randomly generated quest and dungeon just blurs into a blob of samey monotony, and all you have is the main quest. Morrowind being entirely hand crafted of course fixes this problem completely

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
- While Morrowind's "wiki-style" dialog system isn't the best system ever made, it's a step above Daggerfall's which only serves as a way to ask for directions and nothing more.
Wrong, you can ask for quests, tips and gossip just like in Morrowind and with different tones:
yvn7nnc83fl51.png

There is also no handholding here by not showing how much he likes you.
Compare it with Morrowind:
1-Morrowind_2012-01-09_16-51-14-78.jpg

While a lot of dungeons are too tiny to really make use of it (most ancestral tombs are just three hallways, that's it), there are several dungeons with really cool features where levitation becomes useful
Sadly none of them compete with Daggerfall hand-crafted dungeons.
It should be mentioned that Daggerfall had choices and consequences compared to Morrowind.
quest.gif

questmap.gif

That said you are right on everything else.

Last edited:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Wrong, you can ask for quests, tips and gossip just like in Morrowind and with different tones:
yvn7nnc83fl51.png

Morrowind shows you the disposition of NPCs because it's actually mechanically relevant in that game. NPCs in Daggerfall are bipolar: you can save someone's daughter, but they'll still insult you to your face if you speak in a polite tone rather than a blunt tone. Morrowind NPCs also properly react to you depending on your race. While it may seem like Morrowind NPCs do the same, in reality they will insult your race no matter which one you are. I picked a Breton, and the game is mostly set in High Rock, home of the Bretons, yet NPCs regularly insult my character for being a Breton, despite presumably being Bretons themselves. Daggerfall's dialogue system is also never used in quests, since all quest dialogue is delivered through non-interactive pop-up boxes, while Morrowind's NPCs consistently speak to you through the established dialogue menu.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
yvn7nnc83fl51.png

Morrowind shows you the disposition of NPCs because it's actually mechanically relevant in that game. NPCs in Daggerfall are bipolar: you can save someone's daughter, but they'll still insult you to your face if you speak in a polite tone rather than a blunt tone. Morrowind NPCs also properly react to you depending on your race. While it may seem like Morrowind NPCs do the same, in reality they will insult your race no matter which one you are. I picked a Breton, and the game is mostly set in High Rock, home of the Bretons, yet NPCs regularly insult my character for being a Breton, despite presumably being Bretons themselves. Daggerfall's dialogue system is also never used in quests, since all quest dialogue is delivered through non-interactive pop-up boxes, while Morrowind's NPCs consistently speak to you through the established dialogue menu.
You actually get a +5 bonus to disposition if you are of the same race as the character you are interacting with.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
And what is the issue with that?

We know MK and Rolston were the creative fathers of Morrowind

Meanwhile Todd was the creative father of horse armor

Codex Year of the Donut

normal person:
ah yes, this seems right, he created the game
shroombrain:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY FAVORITE GAME WAS NOT MADE BY TODD HOWARD NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Funposter

Arcane

normal person:
shroombrain:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY FAVORITE GAME WAS NOT MADE BY TODD HOWARD NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Todd designed Seyda Neen and finished the Imperial Legion questline after Douglas Goodall fell behind. Goodall fell behind on that because he designed and wrote The Great House questlines, the Fighter Guild, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild, Tribunal Temple and Morag Tong. Ken Rolston was in charge of the Main Quest and the Imperial Cult. Mark Nelson did all of the non-fiction side quests, Daedric quests and Vampire stuff.

So, did Todd really "make" Morrowind?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

normal person:
shroombrain:
Todd designed Seyda Neen and finished the Imperial Legion questline after Douglas Goodall fell behind. Goodall fell behind on that because he designed and wrote The Great House questlines, the Fighter Guild, Thieves Guild, Mages Guild, Tribunal Temple and Morag Tong. Ken Rolston was in charge of the Main Quest and the Imperial Cult. Mark Nelson did all of the non-fiction side quests, Daedric quests and Vampire stuff.

So, did Todd really "make" Morrowind?

Rolston wrote the outline of all the quest lines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom