Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need more Classic music and latin music(with Choir) in RPG and in Video games in general

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

Duralux for Durabux

Recently, i was listening the Arcanum's soundtrack (Bloodborne soundtrack too )and i was stunned by how amazing it sounded. I have never listened to something like that in video games before , it so melancholic(Arcanum) or intense (like in Bloodborne), it tells so much emotions to the player when you play. Why no other gaming companies order to musicians to make such soundtrack in RPG and in video games ?
Of course i understand it has to fit to the context of the game but there is such a wasted potential with the lack of music like this in games.
https://youtu.be/NlQcKBUcgmA
https://youtu.be/ftvpi-6Z6qw
https://youtu.be/ICSk8-pJkX8

Edit: i forgot Civ5's soundtrack
https://youtu.be/QJ_YUJ4vXvA
https://youtu.be/WQYN2P3E06s
of course ancient music too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat Dude

Savant
Western developers have always done half ass job regarding music theme. I still remember FF7's Sephiroth theme until today.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We don't know how ancient music sounded like. What we do have is vague approximations using the 12-tone equal temperament. At least the most popular ones. We have recreations of other tunings, but it's an educated guess at best. As for classical music, most video game music follows those formulas, unless you mean literally copying the musical language of whatever period, which is indeed rarer. I wouldn't confuse Arcanum's soundtrack with a "classical" quartet, it's still a modern soundtrack. I think what you mean is certain chamber arrangements like string quartets, piano quintets, etc.

Duralux for Durabux

We don't know how ancient music sounded like. What we do have is vague approximations using the 12-tone equal temperament. At least the most popular ones. We have recreations of other tunings, but it's an educated guess at best. As for classical music, most video game music follows those formulas, unless you mean literally copying the musical language of whatever period, which is indeed rarer. I wouldn't confuse Arcanum's soundtrack with a "classical" quartet, it's still a modern soundtrack. I think what you mean is certain chamber arrangements like string quartets, piano quintets, etc.
Yes.
By classic music (old music or music with choir), i mean music made with the good ol' instruments (guitar,luth,piano, violin,etc...) or orchestra with tenor and soprano.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really wish more games had soundtracks inspired by the period they're trying to emulate. A lot of fantasy is medieval, but the soundtrack is usually modern orchestral stuff or a modern perception of what sounds medieval.

Gimme medieval fantasy with music like this:

Takamori

Learned
Well problem is hiring a good orchestra to do this is either heaven or hell. You got either a bunch of amateurs or even musicians inside the dev studio that try their best or you got actual orchestras but only AAA studios have the funds to hire then.
Choirs at least if you got good contacts with the catholic church it should be affordable.

Duralux for Durabux

Well problem is hiring a good orchestra to do this is either heaven or hell. You got either a bunch of amateurs or even musicians inside the dev studio that try their best or you got actual orchestras but only AAA studios have the funds to hire then.
Choirs at least if you got good contacts with the catholic church it should be affordable.
Troika weren't rich and even with a tiny budget and one Artist(Ben Houge) they succeeded to deliver a wonderful soundtrack.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Classical music helps set the mood. With the proper game (and some coffee, tea, or booze) it can get you there. I'll take that any day over blasting JayZ while playing Fortnite or some nu-crowd garbage.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I really wish more games had soundtracks inspired by the period they're trying to emulate. A lot of fantasy is medieval, but the soundtrack is usually modern orchestral stuff or a modern perception of what sounds medieval.
Sorry, but this is literally impossible to achieve, at least with current archeology, because majority (if not all) instruments of this age was destroyed and musicians died without ability to record sound of their music and pass to later generations. Violin (for example) differs in sound from master to master, let alone region and century. "Modern perception of what sounds medieval" is all we have for better or worse.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry, but this is literally impossible to achieve, at least with current archeology, because majority (if not all) instruments of this age was destroyed and musicians died without ability to record sound of their music and pass to later generations. Violin (for example) differs in sound from master to master, let alone region and century. "Modern perception of what sounds medieval" is all we have for better or worse.

Yeah but compare the average medieval fantasy soundtrack with the songs I posted above. We do have medieval notation so composers can do a better job than what we currently get.

Hrymr

Educated
Assuming an unlimited budget, I would like to see RPG with some operatic elements thrown in. Instead of normal cutscenes at major points of the plot you would have important characters singing (in Italian, ofc). Would be p. cool to listen to something like this before a boss fight:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like it when it feels that the soundtrack has an actual connection to the game. Hymns, I also like hymns.

(Arcanum is my favorite game OST, but it has too few tracks.) King of Dragon Pass has a cool OST. Some Japanese games have some classical sounding tunes.

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

Gimme medieval fantasy with music like this:

Not exactly the same, but:

The Lazarus version is also great, although it doesn't match with the more depressing tone of the game as well.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I've always been partial to waltzes. The more sorrowful, the better.

Mechanicus still reigns supreme when it comes to organs and chanting. At least for 2018, that is.

AlsGaming

Novice
Dominions 4's is entirely medieval / folk music, makes for one of the most charming soundtracks I've listened to.

Darkzone

Arcane
Yeah but also no. (Google historically informed performance short HIP, musicological research, Neume).
From the common practice period of the tonal system ( around 1650-1900 ) and despite the evolution it brought, we can derive the earlier forms of tonality. Also we got still some medieval preserved instruments and the treaties. And through the living practice in monasteries many of the sacral songs have been preserved. And from this we can derive how many songs should have sounded during this times.

But if we go by your standard for violins then every piece sounds different when performed by a different instrument and musician, despite being the same piece (same text and musical notes).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom