Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need to start our own thing (Codexjam 2021 recruitment)

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Bloodeye, maybe you should start by making a google doc listing Codexers who've expressed an interest in participating? Along with their relevant knowledge and abilities.
I'd love to sign up, I can certainly write for the setting/dialogue etc well enough, but of course it's the the actual "game engine" part I don't know how to handle :lol:
How hard can Unity or RPGmaker be anyway? I have at least done some very minimal assembly language hex editing for AoW1, and making an RPG would be a very fun long term hobby.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Bloodeye, maybe you should start by making a google doc listing Codexers who've expressed an interest in participating? Along with their relevant knowledge and abilities.
I'd love to sign up, I can certainly write for the setting/dialogue etc well enough, but of course it's the the actual "game engine" part I don't know how to handle :lol:
How hard can Unity or RPGmaker be anyway? I have at least done some very minimal assembly language hex editing for AoW1, and making an RPG would be a very fun long term hobby.
Wouldn't doing that doxx my gmail? I'd have to make another email account. For now I'll just add an "interested parties" section in my OP.

I think a private chatroom or Discord server could be a good way to get to know each other without codex personas (I'd suggest not using real names though). I doubt I'll emerge as the leader of this thing (whatever it ends up being), I just want to get it started. There's precedent for that. I started an indie film making club when I was younger and we did ok for a while. Had lots of fun anyway.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Ok we've got a couple people interested who can write and draw, and one coder. I'm going to leave the thread up for a couple more days to see if anyone else bites, then make a Discord. I'll PM everyone whose expressed interest when I do that. I've not made a Discord before. I've barely used it. Still it's probably pretty easy right?

I still think, as we're likely to have more writers than anything, we should start with a tabletop module. If we can make a good tabletop module we've at least shown we can work together and achieve something. Once that's done, if we're still up for it and have the people, we could talk about making it into a cRPG. I think that's a good way to get started but this is just my opinion. I'm not electing myself leader.

I am really intrigued by the old school renaissance indie DnD campaigns people are publishing right now. This could be something to look at doing, if we all like DnD.

Shin

Cipher
I suspect you'll end up with a lot of 'idea guys' and not a lot of 'active development' guys. Making a game requires a lot of hard work, resources, adept project management etc. It's a lot easier to put up with a lot of shit (dealing with both ego's, apathy and pipe dreams) when you're getting paid for developing such a game, very hard to do so if it's done by a bunch of (remote) volunteers.

Having said that, as someone who likes RPG's and likes weird shit, I might be one of the few potential customers. It's doubtful that an "Alternate history Lovecraftian Hilterjugend Dungeon Crawler" will be a commercial success, but hey, at least ya'll will be able to temporarily bathe in the tears of outrage.

Comte

Wouldn't doing that doxx my gmail? I'd have to make another email account. For now I'll just add an "interested parties" section in my OP.

I think a private chatroom or Discord server could be a good way to get to know each other without codex personas (I'd suggest not using real names though). I doubt I'll emerge as the leader of this thing (whatever it ends up being), I just want to get it started. There's precedent for that. I started an indie film making club when I was younger and we did ok for a while. Had lots of fun anyway.

Dude you a glownigger?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
A word of advice is to design the mechanics and world at the same time. Also avoid the insane stat inflation that you see in modern RPGs. Take a look at SSI Gold Box games and see how a simple system like AD&D 2E was implemented. You can legally use an already published game mechanics in the US since they can't be patented. Copyright only applies to that specific expression of the rules.

Never let graphics overshadow the writing. They should be complimentary to each other.

Use an outline for the writing of the world and mechanics.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I suspect you'll end up with a lot of 'idea guys' and not a lot of 'active development' guys. Making a game requires a lot of hard work, resources, adept project management etc. It's a lot easier to put up with a lot of shit (dealing with both ego's, apathy and pipe dreams) when you're getting paid for developing such a game, very hard to do so if it's done by a bunch of (remote) volunteers.

Having said that, as someone who likes RPG's and likes weird shit, I might be one of the few potential customers. It's doubtful that an "Alternate history Lovecraftian Hilterjugend Dungeon Crawler" will be a commercial success, but hey, at least ya'll will be able to temporarily bathe in the tears of outrage.
The advantage of working alone is that you don't have to cajole a volunteer programmer to implement all of your ideas.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Oh no, the thread is filling with the "idea guys". Everybody has ideas you fucking faggots.
I really hope this turns into something. Think of the potential for comedy.

I'm not an idea guy. I'm a doer guy and this is my experience in creating RPGs. I'm working on my second setting book. What have you accomplished?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
You need to blacklist everyone outing themselves as nothing but an "Ideas Guy" right fucking now. People who can only 'contribute' by sitting back and bloviating vague concepts everyone else has to worry about implementing are nothing but dead weight. If they can't pull their weight by programming, writing, designing, animating, illustrating, composing or directing then they need to go to hell.

bionicman

Liturgist
I'm not the best musician, still learning how to compose in a DAW, but if this project ends up a CRPG, then I may donate some music tracks!

Also, I have a lot of ideas!

Viata

Arcane
I have stopped reading, watching or playing any modern thing(Cleve and Iron Tower dev being different because I don't think they will ever go woke). I tend to just try to make those things myself. Simple arcade games(I love arcade games, anyway), writing short stories(not like I expect them to be great, but can't get good if you don't write stories) and so on.

Israfael

Arcane
At some point there was a joke that you can deter islamic terrorist attacks with a picture of a swine, I guess adding a paladindu or a tranny is a way to deter some free-thinkers™© and enlightened right-wingers :lol: (also, Paizo/WoTC/etc liberals ain't left, they don't care about the masses or the economy, only about their ego and personal salvation through the worship of pozz). On a serious note, you can just try to mod the Owlcat engine, maybe it's possible to create a module of your own with it (or better yet, lobby the devs to release some sort of modmaking tools a-la NWN toolset)

LudensCogitet

Learned
I'm a programmer (web dev by trade, C by choice in my free time) and a student of game design. That sounds really pretentious but all I mean is I've read a bunch of books, listened to a bunch of talks, and I make my own computer games as a hobby.

I'd enjoy being part of this Discord channel. I really appreciate the sentiment, and I'm actively trying to make games without woke shit in them myself.

However, I am highly pessimistic about this going anywhere. Getting a motivated team of strangers who will stick together and work together until something is actually finished (in their spare time and with no money) sounds very, very unlikely.

That being said, I want it to work, and if I'm invited to the continuing conversation I won't go out of my way to bring people down.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Welcome to the Kali Yuga mother fucker just bend over and enjoy the ride.
A day like 9/11 in particular recalls to mind the awareness of the inevitability of karmic consequences.

20 years ago I was sitting there playing Ultima 9, a shitty RPG.
Yesterday I was sitting there playing Wrath of the Righteous, a shitty RPG.

I need to rethink my life.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I'm a programmer (web dev by trade, C by choice in my free time) and a student of game design. That sounds really pretentious but all I mean is I've read a bunch of books, listened to a bunch of talks, and I make my own computer games as a hobby.

I'd enjoy being part of this Discord channel. I really appreciate the sentiment, and I'm actively trying to make games without woke shit in them myself.

However, I am highly pessimistic about this going anywhere. Getting a motivated team of strangers who will stick together and work together until something is actually finished (in their spare time and with no money) sounds very, very unlikely.

That being said, I want it to work, and if I'm invited to the continuing conversation I won't go out of my way to bring people down.

That's a realistic attitude to take. I think the same. I'd still like to try and if this falls through I'll still try to make a PnP module on my own. I'll just have to look elsewhere when it's time to make a computer game of it, and probably get a mortgage or something to pay for the art. I'll add you to the contact list. It's Sunday in New Zealand. I'll give it until Tuesday for more people to read the thread, then I'll make the server.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
You need to blacklist everyone outing themselves as nothing but an "Ideas Guy" right fucking now. People who can only 'contribute' by sitting back and bloviating vague concepts everyone else has to worry about implementing are nothing but dead weight. If they can't pull their weight by programming, writing, designing, animating, illustrating, composing or directing then they need to go to hell.

I'm not setting the bar for entry to my future Discord server so high. If idea guys have ideas they'll be listened to. It's not like I have to pay someone a salary to have ideas. But if an actual project takes shape there will need to be a project manager who assigns roles based on KSAs rather than ideas. I'd still rather have 1 idea guy than 20 realists telling me why the idea is stupid and I should just keep playing old games. I'm going to keep playing old games, but I'm also going to try to do something about the lack of new games. Because I lack talent all I can think of to do is try to bring talented, likeminded people together and see what happens. Maybe nothing. If so I lose nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom