Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need to start our own thing (Codexjam 2021 recruitment)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just play JRPGs...
Most Japanese align with you lot in their political ideas, even the young techies are right wing there.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What ever you end up trying, if you ever get that far, make an attempt at broadening the systems regulated gameplay beyond just combat, direct or indirect combat buffing, and gated dialog.

Humbaba

Arcane
Got a pitch? This project of yours will not go anywhere without strong leadership.

I for one once made a little blueprint for an RPGmaker game with a setting and everything and gave up once I realized how much of a pain making art assets is. As far as ideas guys go I am literally the best and smartest of them all and I could let you borrow some of my very great proposals if you actually mean to go forward with this. Fair warning though I am not much of a racist.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Got a pitch? This project of yours will not go anywhere without strong leadership.

I for one once made a little blueprint for an RPGmaker game with a setting and everything and gave up once I realized how much of a pain making art assets is. As far as ideas guys go I am literally the best and smartest of them all and I could let you borrow some of my very great proposals if you actually mean to go forward with this. Fair warning though I am not much of a racist.
I'm not a racist. People of all races are welcome. Gay people are too by the way. I don't care if a man is gay. It's attention whoring little fags who want to make everything about them that make me rage. Movies, TV, games. It has to be all them, all the time. So gays can participate, so long as they are able to shut the fuck up about being gay and don't even breathe the word "representation". I'm not calling for right wing games. Just non-pozzed games.

I'll say right now I don't intend to make Codex 2.0. It's a space for discussion of development of PnP RPGs and cRPGs, as well as playing DnD and socializing (hopefully, we'll need a good GM to join and nobody has volunteered for that role).

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I'll add you to the contact list, and I'll send you the link once the server is up. Feel free to drop by.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Hey man, I sincerely hope you guys get started on this. I would 100% love to see folks work hard to start providing a challenge to woke imperialism.

Work hard, talk less is a good mantra.

I'm not a racist. People of all races are welcome.

So, basically, you are just guaranteeing that you will be co-opted if you are ever successful. Ya know what, forget I said anything.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anyone is serious about this then a game written by a literate chimpanzee will be a standard game eveyone enjoys over woke shit. But of you want true incline, you have to find a great writer. So the Codex should create a writing contest (thread?) where people write a passage or two about established characters we all know and love. And then vote on the best one.

Something like a page of Minsc bantering with various characters in BG. Or some Fallout lore and dialogue with Marcus. Like Marcus telling a story about the old days of a battle between him and a certain Paladin of the Brotherhood of Steel.

Edit: It will also be a good measure any nepotism/coruption within the Codex to see the results and to gauge whether people can get things done within a timeframe.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Hey man, I sincerely hope you guys get started on this. I would 100% love to see folks work hard to start providing a challenge to woke imperialism.

Work hard, talk less is a good mantra.

I'm not a racist. People of all races are welcome.

So, basically, you are just guaranteeing that you will be co-opted if you are ever successful. Ya know what, forget I said anything.
White left are not welcome. Black people can be cool. Not many like RPGs so I doubt there will be a problem with that. I'm not calling for Nazi games. Not gonna say I'd hate them as much as leftist games. But they wouldn't be good.

Humbaba

Arcane

I'm not a racist. People of all races are welcome. Gay people are too by the way. I don't care if a man is gay. It's attention whoring little fags who want to make everything about them that make me rage. Movies, TV, games. It has to be all them, all the time. So gays can participate, so long as they are able to shut the fuck up about being gay and don't even breathe the word "representation". I'm not calling for right wing games. Just non-pozzed games.

I'll say right now I don't intend to make Codex 2.0. It's a space for discussion of development of PnP RPGs and cRPGs, as well as playing DnD and socializing (hopefully, we'll need a good GM to join and nobody has volunteered for that role).

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I'll add you to the contact list, and I'll send

Was not being sarcastic, I would definitely be interested in collaborating with a group of determined sigma males. Pushing back against pozzism in video gaming is right up my alley.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
If anyone is serious about this then a game written by a literate chimpanzee will be a standard game eveyone enjoys over woke shit. But of you want true incline, you have to find a great writer. So the Codex should create a writing contest (thread?) where people write a passage or two about established characters we all know and love. And then vote on the best one.

Something like a page of Minsc bantering with various characters in BG. Or some Fallout lore and dialogue with Marcus. Like Marcus telling a story about the old days of a battle between him and a certain Paladin of the Brotherhood of Steel.

Edit: It will also be a good measure any nepotism/coruption within the Codex to see the results and to gauge whether people can get things done within a timeframe.
That's not a bad idea. Any suggestions as to the format/time limit? I could buy the winner a game of their choice on STEAM, if there's a way for me to do that anonymously. I wouldn't want the winner chosen by forum poll though, we'd need a better way of judging than that. The results would just get manipulated or everyone would pick a joke entrant just to get me to waste my money on bullshit.

Edit: I'm thinking two categories. Serious and comedy. One entry per category, per person, though the winner of both categories can theoretically be the same story (in which case they'd get two games). I'll give a game each to the winners of those categories. If people want more categories they can provide the prizes. I'm a poor student. Don't try to exploit winning by asking for a super expensive game. Standard edition new release at the most, no season pass ultimate bundle shit. No train simulator etc.

I just don't know how to judge it. Are any of the better reviewers on the Codex still posting here? All I see on the frontpage are newsposts these days. No opinion pieces or reviews. If we chose people to judge it I'd trust that over a forum poll.

Last edited:
Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Bloodeye, maybe you should start by making a google doc listing Codexers who've expressed an interest in participating? Along with their relevant knowledge and abilities.
I'd love to sign up, I can certainly write for the setting/dialogue etc well enough, but of course it's the the actual "game engine" part I don't know how to handle :lol:
How hard can Unity or RPGmaker be anyway? I have at least done some very minimal assembly language hex editing for AoW1, and making an RPG would be a very fun long term hobby.
Wouldn't doing that doxx my gmail? I'd have to make another email account. For now I'll just add an "interested parties" section in my OP.

I think a private chatroom or Discord server could be a good way to get to know each other without codex personas (I'd suggest not using real names though). I doubt I'll emerge as the leader of this thing (whatever it ends up being), I just want to get it started. There's precedent for that. I started an indie film making club when I was younger and we did ok for a while. Had lots of fun anyway.
I think you can just make extra gmail accounts linked to your IRL account but with whatever display name and @ you want

Chippy

Arcane
Patron

That's not a bad idea. Any suggestions as to the format/time limit? I could buy the winner a game of their choice on STEAM, if there's a way for me to do that anonymously. I wouldn't want the winner chosen by forum poll though, we'd need a better way of judging than that. The results would just get manipulated or everyone would pick a joke entrant just to get me to waste my money on bullshit.

Edit: I'm thinking two categories. Serious and comedy. One entry per category, per person, though the winner of both categories can theoretically be the same story. I'll give a game each to the winners of those categories. If people want more categories they can provide the prizes. I'm a poor student. Don't try to exploit winning by asking for a super expensive game. Standard edition new release at the most, no season pass ultimate bundle shit. No train simulator etc.

I just don't know how to judge it. Are any of the better reviewers on the Codex still posting here? All I see on the frontpage are newsposts these days. No opinion pieces or reviews. If we chose people to judge it I'd trust that over a forum poll.

Dunno. Maybe petition Lilura to pick the winner? And insist that any writing only be inspired on games within her blog?.

Gastrick

Cipher
ask Varg if you can use Myfarog
Or better,
pic522215.jpg

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Bloodeyes :lol::lol::lol:

I'd stick to people just submitting stuff and see if anything really stands out. I would'nt bother with giving anyone a reward either. What you want is for someone to post a paragraph or page or so to see if they can imitate the tone and style of a game like BG and the characters therein. If you can find someone who can write Minsc at least as good as Gaider without any adult humor, and can match the tone of Lucas Kristjanson, then you might have the guy. Or gal. ???.

Maybe if you organised it, you could pick a range of characters with different personalities. Like Xzar, Minsc, and Yeslick. Because everyone has their favourites, but then you ask them to write Nalia or Jan Jansen and they find it hard. Personally I can't stand those last two, so if I entered a passage for them, would suck at it and would probably vote down anyone else's writing of them as well.

So yeah, if you go ahead, maybe just keep it simple.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Actually, I know who should judge this. The only person on the Codex whose judgement none can question. Because he's literally been right about everything since before I even came to this place. You know who I'm talking about before I even say it.

I'd ask privately if he accepted PMs, but he doesn't do I'll ask publicly. It's a hell of a thing to ask, and he doesn't need the payment. He'll still get it though, if he agrees. Work should be paid. Cleveland Mark Blakemore You don't have to read all that shit. I'll pick the ten finalists, you pick the winner. One category only, can be serious or funny or both. Only limitations are word count (750 words) and no female entrants. It's a men's writing competition.

Entries would be open for a week. You'd have a week to read the ten stories, pick the best, and make a brief post explaining your reasons why. Payment delivered to winner by STEAM gift, arranged VIA PMs. If someone enters just for the chance of doxxing my STEAM ID... good on them I guess.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Bloodeyes Not that I want to take the wind out of the Codex's sails, and an entirely new game would be awesome, but have you considered modding something we already have access to? Like remaking Siege of Dragonspear. You get a dedicated guy who can pull the game apart and break down what everyone in the team has to do. And then I expect that would be overseen by a general manager type.

So for each chapter/segment of the game they would tell a writer what dialogue needs to be written: NPC questions, banters, context, items, etc. Then if other modders want to get in on the act they can maybe change the encounters a bit. Maybe just to build up a Codex team that can work together.

As I say; I'm sure a totally new game would be great, but if it takes too long, some of the old-timers here might not live to see it such a Codexian masterpiece.

Imagine that.

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom