Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Weird West Gameplay Developer Commentary Trailer

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Devolver Digital; Raphael Colantonio; Weird West

Indie publisher Devolver Digital broadcast their wacky annual event today. Weird West did not make an appearance during the stream itself, but they did hide a new trailer for it in their free Devolverland Expo promotional game, which was soon uploaded to YouTube as well. It's a feature trailer narrated by Raf Colantonio that offers an overview of the game's primary features - simulation, setting and visual direction, a dynamic event system, and permanent consequences that can't be reverted by reloading a saved game.

If you'd like to hear more, Raf also spoke about Weird West in an interview with GameSpot and in a quick Q&A with PC Gamer, both released last week.

• Shit x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Interesting.

I just finished Prey, looking forward to what they do with this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Seems like a pulp take on it.

Deadlands, the PnP RPG is like that.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Geisler Educated

Geisler
    Muh "akshun aarpegee", cell-shaded 3D top down, pulpy campy setting.

:killit:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Glop_dweller Augur

Glop_dweller
    [​IMG]

...the rest? Meh.

^ Top  
  6. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    All I want is a Shadowrun-esque game set in the Wild West, but it is such an unexploited setting I guess anything is fine by this point.

Immersive sim is welcome too, but I don't know about an immersive sim that isn't first-person.

^ Top  
  7. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    If the devs' previous games are any indcation, this will be a gameplay-driven game rather than narrative/dialogue-driven, which is usually a plus. Not many devs are good at the no-handholding sandboxy choose-you-own-path design, so this is why I'm interested in what happens with it. It might also be why he's calling it an aRPG rather than a RPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    "Simulation is like a religion to us" :cool:

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Isak Educated

Isak
    "Red Dead Diablo" looks pretty interesting.

This looks very interesting indeed. I’ve always thought the supernatural in the wild west was a fertile, unexplored frontier.
    Excellent mechanics, love the development so far. Hope the line of sight is optional. reloading reloading ‘oh shit’ did i do that.

If you're interested in this, Hard West was another pretty good weird west game that this seems reminiscent of. It had its problems, but it was still a fun and unique game.
    Another game that this reminds me of is this isometric immersive sim RPG called Seven, which is interesting as well (if somewhat flawed).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    no, it was perfection

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Iluvcheezcake Arbiter

Iluvcheezcake
    Hard West was pretty gud, could never get into Seven properly

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Mr. Magniloquent Savant

Mr. Magniloquent
    Definitely a hyphenated RPG now, but looks fun. I have always liked top-down shooters. Will add to the list.

^ Top  
  13. urmom Educated

urmom
    So now we have regular GTA, medieval GTA, and western GTA?

^ Top  
  14. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    3d arcade with stats

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    I guess if you can't think up a good title you can just use your setting as a title.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Whisper Arcane Vatnik

Whisper
    You can save-load in this game?

^ Top  
  17. samuraigaiden Savant

samuraigaiden
    I hope this is good. I also hope they change the perspective to first person.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. supervoid Arcane

supervoid
    No reloading sounds gimmicky. Combat mechanic might be fun, everything else is almost guaranteed to be bland due to sandbox and permanently locked out content.

^ Top  
  19. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not a fan of forced saving systems like that.
    By all means, design your game around a certain way of save game behavior, make that the default (and only way to earn achievements, etc.), but allow players to choose what they prefer on a new game.

This just sounds like you could accidentally cause all kinds of unwanted crap to happen by pressing "shoot" instead of "interact", etc.

^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    To me it sounds like it's a kind of roguelike, although notice how Raf carefully avoids using the term "procedural" when describing the dynamic event system "tailored to each player's experience".

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. samuraigaiden Savant

samuraigaiden
    Might end up being a Dark Souls style forced ironman mode. He does say you ressurect after dying.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Seems okay.

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.