Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Weird West releasing on January 11th, now available for preorder

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Devolver Digital; Raphael Colantonio; Weird West; WolfEye Studios

Back in July, Devolver Digital announced that Weird West, the upcoming isometric immersive sim from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio, would be launching this fall. The gaming press got an extended look at the game later that month and were impressed by what they saw. However, apparently it needed a bit more time. Yesterday, Devolver unveiled the first in a series of Weird West deep dive videos, in which Raf demonstrated some of its immersive sim mechanics and open world RPG elements. At the end, he announced that the game is now scheduled for release on January 11th.

Weird West is now available for preorder on Steam and GOG for $40. Those who preorder get to start the game with a unique horse named Calamity, whose saddlebags come packed with some bonus consumable items.

Shin

Cipher
While mister Colantonio hasn't fully convinced me of the 'RPG' part in Weird West ("you can travel anywhere" isn't quite up to my standards), there's a 95% I'll be getting thing at launch. If I were to become emperor of the world, I'd mandate that at least 30% of all games released should be classified as an immersive sim and 100% of games should strive to include immersive sim elements into their design.
As Raphaël Colantonio is pretty much the French bastard child of Warren Spector (who has grown old and feeble at this point, judging from his output) he carries a heavy burden of responsibility to keep the genre alive and kicking. Although Weird West hasn't managed to "wow" me with its pre-release footage, I'm sort of banking on Raph's immersive-sim chops to not screw this up.

ADL

Prophet
The way the game has been marketed makes me think this is going to be a vignette game with a high amount of replayability but relatively short segments. I'll need to hear more about the structure before I spend forty fucking dollars on it no matter how good it looks.

In the first video Raph said it's a 40 hour game so with five characters each segment would be an average of 8 hours.
I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
isometric immersive sim
fakenews.png

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, same Alexander DeLarge. I was pretty much all in until they revealed the vignette-style structure. I'd be absolutely fine with it as long as some form of character, equipment, or monetary progression follows over to the next character you play. Otherwise, I hate that feeling of making good progress, only to have it taken away from you in the next segment of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The way the game has been marketed makes me think this is going to be a vignette game with a high amount of replayability but relatively short segments. I'll need to hear more about the structure before I spend forty fucking dollars on it no matter how good it looks.

In the first video Raph said it's a 40 hour game so with five characters each segment would be an average of 8 hours.

Falksi

Arcane
Give me more Hard West please.

You will never get any more of the Hard West you want again, so you might as well stop asking.

How come. Last I read they were laying the foundations for a sequel?

Didn't all the Hard West devs and designers leave the company?

No idea. I've not really been paying any attention to it. I just remember reading a piece saying it was in the offing around 18 months back. Maybe they've fucked off elsewhere since though.

ADL

Prophet
I don't know the story but it definitely exists and the depots are being updated daily.
https://steamdb.info/app/1282410/info/
CreativeForge Games To Publish Hard West 2 With External Development Team
Short name of the issuer CREATIVEFORGE GAMES S.A. Topic Signing a letter of intent regarding the performance of Hard West 2 on PC Legal basis Article 17 paragraph 1 MAR - confidential information. Contents of the report: The Management Board of CreativeForge Games S.A. with headquarters in Warsaw _"Company"_ informs about signing on 21.02.2019 a letter of intent to create a game with the working title Hard West 2 _"Game"_ with an external development team.

From preliminary findings, the Company guaranteed its revenues at the level of 50% of revenue from the Game, in exchange for transferring the license to play Hard West, while not participating in the costs of producing the Game.

The company also plans to be the publisher of the above-mentioned Game.

Well there you have it

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah but I think Jinn's point was probably related to what I was saying about a lot of the original talent being gone.

Who knows, maybe they'll turn out something passable.

Jinn

Arcane

Yeah but I think Jinn's point was probably related to what I was saying about a lot of the original talent being gone.

Every developer - as far as I know - that worked on Hard West, has left the company. The IP is now in the hands of the hacks that run the company now. There might be something in the works, but don't expect anything good. Hard West was a good game that needed much expanding on by proficient hands. Whatever is left of the IP won't be left in such hands.

Falksi

Arcane

Every developer - as far as I know - that worked on Hard West, has left the company. The IP is now in the hands of the hacks that run the company now. There might be something in the works, but don't expect anything good. Hard West was a good game that needed much expanding on by proficient hands. Whatever is left of the IP won't be left in such hands.

Shit. Ah well, thanks for the update. Having just had a quick refresh of their website, their other games do look totally out of synch with Hard West, so I can totally believe what you're saying.

Bunch of cunts.

Jinn

Arcane
Shit. Ah well, thanks for the update. Having just had a quick refresh of their website, their other games do look totally out of synch with Hard West, so I can totally believe what you're saying.

Bunch of cunts.

Hey, not all is lost though. The head developer of both Hard West (great!) and Phantom Doctrine (pretty good...) started a new company when he left CreativeForge a couple years ago.

You can find it at https://www.artificer.com/

They don't have anything to show yet, but I've been following them closely. I like the guy. He used to post here. He could be a little more open to criticism maybe, but hell, once a codexer always a codexer - ever if you leave the codex forever like he apparently has.

Falksi

Arcane

Bunch of cunts.

Hey, not all is lost though. The head developer of both Hard West (great!) and Phantom Doctrine (pretty good...) started a new company when he left CreativeForge a couple years ago.

You can find it at https://www.artificer.com/

They don't have anything to show yet, but I've been following them closely. I like the guy. He used to post here. He could be a little more open to criticism maybe, but hell, once a codexer always a codexer - ever if you leave the codex forever like he apparently has.

Nice one. Ta for he heads up on this. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I think if they wanted to make first person or 3rd person game, the budget would go so up it would go as AAA which Raf said he had hard time making Prey.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Not necessarily. A first person indie imsim doesn't need to be a high budget graphical powerhouse. Look at Gloomwood using its faux-retro minimal artstyle.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Ouch, 40 euros. Also 5 characters. Prefer having one to build up, also I think story works best with one character.
That and having to wrestle with the camera like in Seven: The Days Long Gone are the major sticking points for me. I'd love to support Raf so I'll shill his game for free or whatever, but I don't know if I'd enjoy playing it myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom