Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Cross

Arcane
It didn't even occur to me this could be anything other than a first-person game, but after seeing the last attempt at 'immersive sim on an indie budget' (Ultima Ascendant), isometric is probably for the best.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Trailer music by Raf's band Weird Wolves:

She is very talented.

Probably as good as Raf's design skills.

Jordan-Peterson-e1522721818956.jpg

"Too much lipstick"

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It didn't even occur to me this could be anything other than a first-person game, but after seeing the last attempt at 'immersive sim on an indie budget' (Ultima Ascendant), isometric is probably for the best.

The Steam page also doesn't list any support for Full Audio. Not sure if this is a mere oversight, or have they consciously opted to do text only, so that there can be more of it?

Either way, it will be a D1P anyhow.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In my opinion "immersive sim" elements are just RPG elements of gameplay that -while still depending on your character stats- aren't abstractions, as you execute them directly on the gameworld by acting with your character rather than throwing dice and having a text box telling you what happened. That's why it's immersive, it has nothing to do with FP.

Well, it looks like I was wrong. https://web.archive.org/web/2017070...or-created-a-genre-and-set-games-free-w485404

He spent two weeks locked in a room with Garriott hammering out a story and design document for 1990's Ultima VI: The False Prophet, which Spector considers to be the first immersive sim.

Guess perspective doesn't matter after all. Immersive sim away then. :M

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't think of it as a genre, since technically Deus Ex is a shooter with RPG and "sim" elements, same as System Shock. It's exactly what it is: "sim elements" and any game can inherit it.
It's a subgenre.

What I find important is that no immersive sim developer ever called Ultima 6/7 that because it lacked the first person view.
I think of it as a certain game dev philosophy rather than a genre or a subgenre. Many games use these elements nowadays, so it's hard to tell what is IS and what is not. Far Cry 2 is probably one of the most notable examples that is somewhat outside of what an IS fan would play.

I was aware of what Warren said back then about Ultima VI, but it would be cheap on my part to quote him just to be right. I just find it logical that camera view doesn't matter. Also I don't remember that anyone said that it's a mandatory.

Terenty

Liturgist
Its actually exciting to see what they will be able to pull off without publishers breathing down their necks and without concentrating their efforts on cutting edge graphics but on content

orcinator

Liturgist
I wonder if they'll finally manage to make the gameplay interesting instead of just giving you three ways to get to each location.

cel shading is the bane of my existence

I think the worst part about it's implementation here is that is looks exactly like several other games, none of which I can remember the names of.

Harthwain

Magister
Guess perspective doesn't matter after all. Immersive sim away then. :M
Perspective does matter. Just look at flight simulators. Or ARMA. But you can have an immersive sim without FPP too, like NEO Scavenger. It's largely the matter of what you want to accomplish.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm a sucker for spaghetti western and even in my signature i reference this. But everything besides the isometric perspective is off putting for me. The person who came up with the stupid teen girl voice in the trailer and the music for this abomination should be hanged. It is clearly made by someone who does not understand the genre and its atmosphere. Fuck i will not even touch this with a 10 foot pole and it should be put with all the other hazardous toxic and radioactive waste to the rest. EOR.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

It's mostly about their musical gigs, but there's a bit about the game. Raf says this game is not big in a sense of production budget but it will be huge, might be his biggest game.

Also he played The Outer Worlds because it's a type of game he's interested in and is looking forward to Baldur's Gate 3 and Wasteland 3.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

It's mostly about their musical gigs, but there's a bit about the game. Raf says this game is not big in a sense of production budget but it will be huge, might be his biggest game.

Also he played The Outer Worlds because it's a type of game he's interested in and is looking forward to Baldur's Gate 3 and Wasteland 3.

His music has that special flavor of a pack of howling dogs. It's Weird West after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom