Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I played it some more and there is a lot of procedural generation like holeeee shiiiiieeeet.....on new playthrough places and names of places on the world map are randomized, enemy loot, container loot, even patrols (it would explain horses and various entities ending up on rooftops and stuff (it's Witcher 3 all over again)). Story important places and names aren't but the rest kind of are.

Also funny thing: you can meet a witch as you travel and she says she has a book whatever, she praises it a lot. She then asks is you want to buy it and if you say yes, the price is always your current amount of money + 1. If you're like me and decline in order to cheat engine her witchy ass then you have to initiate the dialogue again that leads to the book and then the price will modify according to your new amount. If you repeat this a few times there will be a new line of dialogue where you can ask "what's up with the price?" and she says "prices fluctuate with supply and demand. That's just the law of the markets. Sorry." Bitch, this is just the dev's anti cheat crap. How do I know this? Because this whole random event only happens once. You only meet her once and discuss the book. But yeah, eventually you can cheat engine this, with enough patience and can click the option to buy the book but that just cancels out the dialogue, it's like clicking exit or quit.

Another crap thing: if you get into a random event where you're ambushed by bandits and your horse flees the map once bullets start flying (your own or the foes') he is fucking GONE. He's noping out of the game for good. The only way that I know of to prevent this is to kinda hope he gets stuck in the environment (which happens pretty often) or to use the collision system of the game to push him somewhere to get him stuck. This can happen with any horse you buy.

Also for anyone interested: money, relics, aces are 4 bytes type and nuggets are a simple byte type and they can be found when scanning in a stack of 5 not the total you have in your inventory.

Still a low amount of bugs. I'm doing a almost no kill run where I sneak around, ghosting, only using chockeholds if necessary and so far it's absolutely possible mainly because of the higher jumping perk, I seriously can't stop praising this enough. It's honestly even easier than taking out enemies plus you can find out new routes into places (they're there if you turn the whole areas upside down), you can find keys and safe combinations (for most of the locked doors or safes). Pretty cool.

Edit 1: forgot to mention that amulets (equivalent of bonecharms from Dishonored) are also randomized, even those that are stored in your safety deposit box in the bank....yeah, shitty.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played it some more and there is a lot of procedural generation like holeeee shiiiiieeeet.....on new playthrough places and names of places on the world map are randomized, enemy loot, container loot, even patrols (it would explain horses and various entities ending up on rooftops and stuff (it's Witcher 3 all over again)). Story important places and names aren't but the rest kind of are.

And this just killed my boner for the game entirely. God fucking damn it.

Well, if he didn't even realize it until now...

Jinn

Arcane

I guess you have a point. Also wonder if the generation is seeded at the start of a new playthrough. Still, would absolutely prefer hand-crafted and hand-placed content, particularly in a game like this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I guess you have a point. Also wonder if the generation is seeded at the start of a new playthrough. Still, would absolutely prefer hand-crafted and hand-placed content, particularly in a game like this.

Blame the people who praised Mooncrash to the heavenz over base Prey.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You're also not gonna find every weapon rarity in one playthrough. For example I bought a legendary bow which I didn't even know existed before. Some stores didn't sell items they did the first time I played. So yeah...

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Now that I think back there were some signs but it wasn't until I started a 2nd playthrough that I can pretty much confirm it. They disguised pretty well still.

Edit 1: about amulets, there were some really good ones that I wanted to save and that's why I put them in the safety deposit box and when I went back (with a different character IIRC) they were changed with other ones. That sucked. IDK if the same happens if you put them in a character's inventory and you retrieve them with the next one you play as. I'll have to try that.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Dropping amulets on the ground and then progressing to another character and coming back to where you dropped the amulets, it doesn't randomize them, they have the same effects, they don't get randomized. But putting them in your safety deposit box for use with another character randomizes them.
:abyssgazer:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Forgot about these: no inventory sorting, items don't stack properly leading to more inventory slots being occupied than normal, shopkeepers get duplicated as you progress to new characters, I found a legendary version of an amulet (one thing with the oneirist is that you can read ancient language on massive blocks that reveal temple locations in which you can find all sorts of stuff), no local map but then again the places aren't big enough to warrant one with some exceptions, reputation is fucked especially with the third character (I recommend doing bounties and sidequests to get your rep high as it will get lowered by random crap happening and it will make your life harder), some locations disappear off the world map as you progress with characters so make sure to explore as much as you can with one character.
I'll take a break from this, I'm done for now.

Again, to me it just sounds like an unpolished and slightly buggy beta. With three months to polish I would hope most of these issues would be addressed. Doesn’t mean it will happen of course, but I remain cautiously optimistic. Raph hasn’t made a bad game yet.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This sounds shitter by the minute.
The Child played the whole game, forgetting technical flaws until he was doing another playthrough, and you call this sounding shitty?

Man if the game was shitty he'd be bashing it for these flaws right away to pile on it. No, what he said shows the game was interesting enough to overlook those flaws. Sound like a rough gem to me.

bobocrunch

Educated
Been playing through the leaked version on Hard and enjoy it a lot, I'm interested in how the rep system turns out, stuff like executing a gang member in a jail cell made me lose some and gave me a description about 'execution before trial' which was cool. If there's any depth to character vendettas / friendships besides them saving you at low health it can be like a midpoint between Shadows of Mordor and Far Cry 2. The interaction and mobility within the environment is engaging, stealthing through windows and rooftops feels fluid and thieving loot is usually interesting enough that it's worth it. It's a buzzword but it feels very soulful, there's clearly a good amount of heart put into the game. The randomization is a minus but maybe there's enough stuff to warrant it.

The tone of the game reminds me of Red Dead Revolver in how it mixes goofy and gritty, I'm enjoying what little story I've gone through so far.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane

Edit 1: forgot to mention that amulets (equivalent of bonecharms from Dishonored) are also randomized, even those that are stored in your safety deposit box in the bank....yeah, shitty.

This doesn't sound shitty this sounds great. Is there also a permadeath mode?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Is there also a permadeath mode?
No, just the three difficulties with no modifiers.
That sucks. What you describe sounds perfect for ironman runs. Annoying that they incorporated so many roguelike features but not the central feature of roguelikes. Hopefully there's enough interest in the game that mods come out. If they do someone's sure to add that. It's too obvious.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
These motherfuckers are trying to tempt me to pre-order this game with a unique horse. I do wish people would stop pre-ordering games. Just why, when physical copies aren't even a thing anymore?
That horse (called Calamity) isn't any different that any other horse you can buy, unless they change something for the final release. And your horses are gonna die or just nope out of any fucked up situations. If they run out of the map, you can still travel on the world map as if you're using a horse but you won't have actual access to the horse and it won't spawn on whatever map you're loading.
I meant it when I said to keep multiple saves, you're gonna need them if this particular bug isn't fixed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

The fourth video in the Road to Weird West series focuses on the frontier laws of the Weird West, from interactions with the world's notorious lawmen, to making allies and creating adversaries.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol: You can knock NPCs unconscious by dropping down on them.

Though it's pretty weird how that one pigman he broke out of jail was hostile and attacked him before getting into his "Thank you!" dialogue.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Creative Director Raf Colantonio and Lead System Designer Gael Giraudeau play through parts of Weird West's second journey featuring the Pigman in this deep look at their upcoming action RPG x immersive sim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom