Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Cahal has three different forms: human, wolf, and werewolf. The first two are used while traversing the world, as the wolf form can cover a lot of ground quickly, while the human form has access to some stealth abilities which are invaluable when the player wants to avoid combat. In human form, Cahal can also use his crossbow to take down enemies silently.

So, human will let you play as stealth character,
wolf form is pacifist way,
and werewolf form is brutal.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I get the logic behind it. Two missing forms (Glabro and Hispo aka near-human and dire-wolf, respectively) would muddle the waters between their roles and a brawler RPG can get away with it.

Werewolf5forms.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Cahal has three different forms: human, wolf, and werewolf. The first two are used while traversing the world, as the wolf form can cover a lot of ground quickly, while the human form has access to some stealth abilities which are invaluable when the player wants to avoid combat. In human form, Cahal can also use his crossbow to take down enemies silently.

So, human will let you play as stealth character,
wolf form is pacifist way,
and werewolf form is brutal.
I think wolf will be for stealth and human will be for diplomacy and hacking and shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think wolf will be for stealth and human will be for diplomacy and hacking and shit.

It appears to be human for the silent takedown, wolf for ghosting/navigating places a human can't reach.

J1M

Arcane
Kind of embarrassing to blab about your game for a year and not have any screenshots to show.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So it's not purely an "arcade brawler". I skimmed one preview, and I see talk of "dialog-heavy sections", "player choice and consequence" but only "two distinct endings", with "quest givers" and a "skill tree".

Might still turn out interesting. Hell, the combat might even be more fun than RTwP trash.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kind of embarrassing to blab about your game for a year and not have any screenshots to show.
Journos got to see it in action, we don't. Those Frenchies probably don't want to cause a Bloodlines 2 situation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/werewolf-the-apocalypseearthblood-is-a-game-of-anger-management/

Werewolf: The Apocalypse—Earthblood is an action RPG of anger management
Checking out an early build of the World of Darkness RPG.

mWW7TsSEdfgzTJncUc3kbh-320-80.jpg

Werewolf: The Apocalypse—Earthblood is all about rage. Protagonist Cahal is, as you may have guessed, a lycan and can shapeshift from human to wolf to werewolf with the press of a button. During a hands-off demo of the action RPG at E3, I watched as Cyanide Studios game director Julien Desourteaux slunk around an arid Nevada compound midway through the game, swapping forms and taking a quiet approach on his way in. You can scout areas and go through crawlspaces in wolf form, and as a human you can use a crossbow to silently eliminate guards from the high ground. But taking the less confrontational route has a cost.

"Stealth is a resource," Desourteaux said. You're constantly fighting your rage, indicated by a slowly-filling circular meter in the lower right of the HUD. Avoid picking up pills, or stray too closely to corrupted objects on the map and Cahal loses his inner battle and you'll go into beast mode. Literally.

Cahal turned into a hulking werewolf, ripping enemies to shreds with a flurry of melee attacks. It's hard to tell how how the combat feels without sitting at the keyboard, but from the looks of it, there's a decent amount of variety to moves and combos. Eventually Desourteaux went head-to-head with a human in a quasi power-loader exoskeleton. After that? He tore through another captain type character, a member of the werewolf faction that, unlike Cahal, is no longer worried about keeping their baser instincts in check. Clear the area of enemies and you'll return to human form.

There's an awful lot of lore to digest from White Wolf's World of Darkness pen-and-paper RPG universe, but if you haven't kept up with the source material here's the basic gist: Werewolves are eco warriors fighting to protect Gaia and reclaim the natural world from evil corporations. So, you'll be doing things like taking out fracking sites and destroying power generators disrupting the natural world and its fauna.

Those power generators at the Nevada facility, for instance, passively affect Cahal's rage level by giving him tinnitus. What might be mildly annoying to you and me is amplified exponentially given Cahal's superhuman hearing. Spend too much time nearby without destroying them and you'll lose your cool. No more stealth—it's business time. And if you need help figuring out exactly where these objects are, you can activate a sort of heat vision that lights them up in red on the screen.

Rage is something that you have to keep an eye on outside of combat scenarios, too. This wasn't part of the demo, but Desourteaux said that during dialog scenes you'll have to contend with your aggression. If you make the wrong conversational choices, your rage meter will fill. You can either punch the person you're talking to in the kisser to relieve the tension and end the conversation, or, let the rage build and watch what happens next.

"Sometimes you don't care and you want to rip off his face," Desourteaux said.

There will also be sections of the game where the developers hamstring you, taking away key powers—filling your IRL rage meter—only to give them back shortly thereafter so you can obliterate a room full of enemies. And of course, it being an RPG, there are attacks to level up and new powers to acquire along the way. Desourteaux's favorites weren't on display in the demo, but they sound just as cathartic as those that were. One will freeze time, locking enemies in place, giving you the opportunity to shred them apart as you wish. Another acts like a vortex and sucks adversaries toward you so you can go into a Wolverine-like berserker attack. Brutal.

Earthblood isn't exclusively aggro, though. The demo's second section took place in a hub area near the game's opening, set in a peaceful forest outside of Seattle. Here, wild animals like deer roam about freely and it's where you'll plan your next moves with your pack. After making his way down craggy paths and through the glade, Desourteaux came upon a precipice overlooking a chasm, and beyond that bulldozers, other construction equipment, and a dam.

"We want you to see the beautiful nature," Desourteaux said. "Then you go to Nevada and it's all about nature suffering." To his left, a bear (massive compared to Cahal's human form) overlooked the destruction beyond, while a wolf slept lazily off to the right. Unfortunately you won't be able to pet any of the animals, even as a human. Instead, Cyanide's goal is to allow you to let you talk to the animals' spirit forms. And seemingly in a nod to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, you can even talk to and walk inside a towering tree. It'll give you new missions, and serve as a space to unlock new skills and upgrade existing ones.

Given that the game shares a universe with Vampire: The Masquerade—Bloodlines, you might expect some crossover characters and Easter eggs for fans. If they exist, Cyanide is keeping coy.

"Maybe," Desourteaux teased.

Even in this early state, the game looked great stretched across a huge 4K display. The demo was a pre-alpha build and had a few rough edges, like a camera that misbehaved during close-up attacks in combat, and animations that aren't quite final, but it was running at a locked 62 FPS according to Desourteaux, via a GeForce RTX 2080Ti. With that card, Desourteaux said the game can run with an unlocked framerate in the 100s, but will dip into the 70s, hence locking it for the demo.

What I'm most intrigued by is the way Cyanide is balancing the internal push-pull struggle between giving into bloodlust and keeping your rage in check. Especially since it extends well beyond combat scenarios and seems to be the game's defining gimmick. That it's apparently not a shallow morality system where you're arbitrarily choosing between being the good guy and the bad leaves a lot of room for you to fill in the gray areas as you see fit.

I always loved hitting the Renegade interrupt during dialog scenes in the Mass Effect series and seeing what would happen. Sometimes it was throwing someone through a plate glass window. Others it was committing cold-blooded murder with a bullet to the head. Knowing that I can act out however I want in Earthblood and rip someone's face off once a conversation goes south has me giddy.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was mildly looking forward to this, like a type of Shadow of Mordor distraction. But reading about this rage meter thingy, makes it sound more like a retard meter.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
lots of action rpgs have a similar mechanic. fill up a bar, you get a burst of superpowers and can murder everyone.

i guess it could conceivably be ok. action rpgs revolve entirely around if the combat is fun since you have to do so much of it, and it's hard to judge that from some retard reporter's article

Well to be fair werewolves went to wars and even genocided other weres over misunderstandings, so this kinda makes sense

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
An action game where don't want to fight too much because it might have negative consequences.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get the logic behind it. Two missing forms (Glabro and Hispo aka near-human and dire-wolf, respectively) would muddle the waters between their roles and a brawler RPG can get away with it.

Werewolf5forms.jpg

Someone should copy + paste a chihuahua over that wolf in the last transformation. More stealthy and less destructive right?. Also - is the werewolf holding a weapon? WTF?.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Werewolf5forms.jpg

Someone should copy + paste a chihuahua over that wolf in the last transformation. More stealthy and less destructive right?. Also - is the werewolf holding a weapon? WTF?.
Not just any weapon, it's a magic weapon. I'm not even joking here, that's a Klaive, which is basically a silver knife with a War Spirit inside it. They also have magic anime swords, which are Grand Klaives (same thing, just big anime swords instead).

Silly picture, it’s Hishu to Dalu to Gauru to Urshul to Urhan now.
Wrong game, Werewolf: The Apocalypse isn't the same thing as Werewolf: The Forsaken. The different terms for the forms is one part of this, Hishu/Dalu/Gauru/Urshul/Urhan is an easy example of this.

For those not in the know of either game and setting, the cheeky short descriptions are:

1) Werewolf: The Apocalyse is edgy gothpunk Captain Planet with werewolves and pop culture Native American stereotypes.
2) Werewolf: The Forsaken is edgy gothpunk Ghostbusters with werewolves and pop culture Native American stereotypes.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Also - is the werewolf holding a weapon? WTF?.

When everyone's a badass killing machine no one is. That's where massive silver weapons come into play because silver deals aggravated damage to werewolves.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Aggravated damage is almost always aggravatingly stupid.

Also - is the werewolf holding a weapon? WTF?.

When everyone's a badass killing machine no one is. That's where massive silver weapons come into play because silver deals aggravated damage to werewolves.
Though sort of amusingly this isn't really a big step up since their claws do Aggravated damage to each other as well. IIRC Klaive's only deal the same damage as claws too, and Grand Klaives just one dice higher. There is a bullshit excuse that using claws in personal combat is a huge faux pas, which is just silly.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Though sort of amusingly this isn't really a big step up since their claws do Aggravated damage to each other as well.

They do? Wasn't it just the bites? Makes even less sense to have klaives then... although I suppose smaller ones are good choices to deal aggravated damage when not in Crinos form.

Incendax

Augur
Wrong game, Werewolf: The Apocalypse isn't the same thing as Werewolf: The Forsaken. The different terms for the forms is one part of this, Hishu/Dalu/Gauru/Urshul/Urhan is an easy example of this.
Yes, I’m cheekily suggesting Forsaken is a vastly superior game in every aspect since 2E and Apocalypse is best forgotten (unlike Masquerade that has a large enough following to justify continued sales).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom