Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse – Earthblood - action-RPG adaptation from Cyanide

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are Cyberpunk 2077 and the last 2 Assassin's Creeds in the RPG area?
I do get it with CP2077 - afaik, the game has actual builds that are different from each other and you can't just maximize everything, the entire inventory & crafting system, etc. It's probably on a similar RPG-ness level as Fallout: NV (minus the story choices, apparently).
It's still an action RPG, sure, but Werewolf doesn't even seem to be an Action RPG - it's really just an action game.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
People who think Bloodlines or any main WoD entry should have been cancelled because medieval fantasy is something we need more of in this world should be shot. I don't even like Werewolf.

Fantasy setting for this kind of game would be even better. Undeniable proof:
117ab1df03033d10d574d5eea37dc5b1.jpg

ghost-season-8-20-1557349716.jpg

Edit: Another idea. Magic the gathering setting with werewolves and darkness sending you doing missions for various customers.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why are Cyberpunk 2077 and the last 2 Assassin's Creeds in the RPG area? The forces of decline know no sleep.
The real plague of 2020 is that every single game is apparently now an RPG on here. It's just random which ones actually get put in this section.

Sorry bro, you have been shot.
Yeah, we need more modern/future settings filled with trannies and dildos.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good to see they're acknowledging their b-title status.

ESRB description:

This is an action role-playing game in which players assume the role of a character on a quest to find his missing daughter. In wolf and human form, players use stealth tactics to infiltrate enemy installations and strongholds, dispatching characters discreetly (e.g., snapping necks, shooting crossbows from afar). Players also engage in combat as a werewolf, using claw swipes and charge attacks to kill guards and other creatures in frenetic melee-style combat. Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire and screams of pain; large blood-splatter effects frequently occur, staining the environment as enemies are killed. Players also perform finishing moves (e.g., Executions) that can result in enemies being repeatedly slashed to death. The game contains references to drugs in the dialogue (e.g., “...[H]e controls the drug trade around here. Might be worth a visit if you need a boost”; “I need a fix…”; "Never stops asking for drugs."); one sequence involves players' character purchasing uppers from a drug dealer. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the game.

Lupus Ex: Werewolf Revolution :M

Avarize

Magister
The whole premise behind Werewolf: The Apocalypse is climate/eco activism.
Not if was set in the middle ages.
wtf are you talking about

are you high bro

werewolf the apocalypse in the middle ages lmao good one bro
Would be a better game without the dumb activism.

It would still have the eco activism
But isntead of destoying oil refineries, you would be massacring villages because of some dumb malthusian argument Werewolf clans make
That Gaia shit as always been part of the Werewolf games
That'd be incline. They could even make a good game with eco terrorist werewolves in the modern day, but the devs will not be able to separate their own politics from it and they will portray the werewolves as righteous crusaders.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good to see they're acknowledging their b-title status.

ESRB description:

This is an action role-playing game in which players assume the role of a character on a quest to find his missing daughter. In wolf and human form, players use stealth tactics to infiltrate enemy installations and strongholds, dispatching characters discreetly (e.g., snapping necks, shooting crossbows from afar). Players also engage in combat as a werewolf, using claw swipes and charge attacks to kill guards and other creatures in frenetic melee-style combat. Battles are accompanied by realistic gunfire and screams of pain; large blood-splatter effects frequently occur, staining the environment as enemies are killed. Players also perform finishing moves (e.g., Executions) that can result in enemies being repeatedly slashed to death. The game contains references to drugs in the dialogue (e.g., “...[H]e controls the drug trade around here. Might be worth a visit if you need a boost”; “I need a fix…”; "Never stops asking for drugs."); one sequence involves players' character purchasing uppers from a drug dealer. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the game.

Lupus Ex: Werewolf Revolution :M
These ESRB descriptions are always subtly hilarious.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So what is this now, a brawler? Stealth game? "Action adventure"??

All of the above plus role playing.

Not everything will be focused around combat; Earthblood will let players talk to different animals in their spirit forms. After all, Werewolves are intimately connected with the Umbra, the Spirit World of World of Darkness. Earthblood will also hook players through the gorgeous natural world at the beginning of the game, set in the outskirts of Seattle (possibly a reference to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2) before sending Cahal out to the dry Nevada desert.

The combat is structured around Cahal's shapeshifting ability. His Homid (human) form is perfect for environmental interaction, particularly technology, and might allow the player to unlock certain areas if they pick the right dialogue option. The Homid form also allows the player to use traditional weapons, like crossbows and guns. The Lupus (wolf) form is ideal for reconnaissance, stealth and sneaking into narrow spaces. However, if Cahal gets too close to certain items in this form (or if the environmental noise or scent is too much for the refined Lupus nose), he might go into a frenzy. Finally, the Crinos (werewolf) form will be mostly used in combat to destroy enemies through the wise rationing of Rage (a resource measured at the center of the HUD) and deployment of clever combos.

That said, many challenges can be solved in different ways, and success will depend on how each player customizes their skill tree. For example, increasing social could help you avoid fighting many security guards. In the same way, failing a conversation will increase the Rage meter, and if that's not carefully managed, it might end in detection and/or massacre.

As I said, a DX:HR-like with more focus on mandatory brawling.

Ninjerk

Arcane
DX:HR was exactly what I thought of when I watched that last video posted. Looks a bit like the Batman brawler games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there any evidence that the game has meaningful stats, builds that substantially alter gameplay, or at least a skill tree?

They have claimed they have character building, but they haven't actually posted any screenshots or videos showing such that I'm aware of.

Skall

Learned
Cyanide's games usually ooze atmosphere, but this is not it I guess :/

I really enjoyed Deus Ex, both the original and the reboot, but this does come across a bit trite and not in tune with the source material. Aren't werewolves the avatars of nature's unbridled rage? If so, why does the video open up with... hacking?

Ironmonk

Augur
I really enjoyed Deus Ex, both the original and the reboot, but this does come across a bit trite and not in tune with the source material. Aren't werewolves the avatars of nature's unbridled rage? If so, why does the video open up with... hacking?

The garou tribes are really diverse and IMHO MUCH better than the vampire clans... In my case, I struggle to find a single interesting vampire clan, I think all of the clans are boring, while in the case of garou tribes, I struggle to choose one because I find all of them interesting. So, if you guys don't know about the tribes, but only the vampire clans, I recommend you check it out.

The Glass Walkers are one of the thirteen tribes of Garou found in Werewolf: The Apocalypse. Steeped in technology, human religion, and the ebb and flow of the city, the Glass Walkers live and die by a creed of progress. While they fear the Apocalypse as any werewolf, they believe that each passing day makes them stronger, that every new invention may be appropriated for their cause, and that every new philosophy might strengthen their resolve. In this way, Glass Walkers are the quintessential Urrah and don't have the strong aversion to human populations that most Garou do.

To the other Tribes, the Glass Walkers are dangerously close to falling from Gaia, turning wholeheartedly to the Weaver. The Glass Walkers themselves, however, maintain that they are the ones that work to keep the Weaver's work clean from the Taint of the Wyrm. Much of the Tribe is in denial how they are slowly losing contact towards the Wyld, and how Camps dedicated to technologies and the Weaver's song are threatening to overtake their Tribe.

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Glass_Walkers

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Still on the fence about pre-ordering it.

Any game about werewolves is going to be a must-buy from me haha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom