Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood Gameplay Reveal

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cyanide Studio; Julien Desourteaux; Nacon; Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood

Most of the trailers we've seen for Cyanide's upcoming Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood action-RPG have been kind of cringe, including the gameplay trailer from July. The game looks a bit more interesting in the seven minute gameplay video released today by publisher Nacon. Narrated by game director Julien Desourteaux, it offers a good look at the abilities of the protagonist's three forms as he raids various Endron facilities. In human form you can sneak around Splinter Cell-style and even do immersive sim-type stuff with your crossbow, wolf form is for scouting and travelling through vents, and when it's time for a fight you enter werewolf form. The combat system has a focus on stances and special abilities that require building up rage and frenzy. Some of this information is also recounted in a post by Julien at the PlayStation Blog. Here's the video and an excerpt from that:

Unlike a horror movie from the 80s, being a Werewolf isn’t a curse. It offers great power, granting the ability to shapeshift into 3 different forms.

The Human or “Homid” Form
This is the main form you will make use of for anything related to social interaction, hacking computers, and stealth kills. You can quietly get the jump on enemies, perform silent takedowns, or pick off an enemy from afar with your crossbow. With some handy upgrades, you can also use the crossbow to disable electrical systems.

The Wolf or “Lupus” Form
As a human, sometimes there are places you just can’t get into. It’s these times where you’ll be grateful for the speed and agility of the wolf. The Wolf form will help you navigate through vents and move rapidly between cover to avoid being detected by the guards. Speed and agility are the name of the game, and it’s just as valuable when you’re trying to take a stealthy approach.

The Werewolf or “Crinos” Form
This is the form that everyone immediately thinks about when you hear the word “Werewolf”. These towering beasts are powerful creatures, capable of devastating acts of carnage. A Crinos is the ultimate combat machine, and if infiltration fails, it’s time to go big or go home.

Brutal, fast-paced combat
Werewolves are not known for their patience, and your inner Rage will raise as you silently take down enemies. Sooner or later, you will have to fight your way through.

For our first foray into the action genre, we really wanted to design impactful, brutal fighting systems. Something that would bring these powerful creatures to life. We went through lots of iterations, balancing the different moves and enemies, with a focus on strength, power, and aggression. Every move, every animation needed that “snap” and “crunch” to ensure each strike feels heavy and satisfying.

Rage is at the heart of combat: it builds up as you damage enemies and allows you to perform a range of special moves, from unleashing a big area-of-effect attack to rushing towards an enemy.

The Crinos also has two different combat stances, each suitable for different situations.
  • In Agile Stance, you can perform fast attacks and move quickly between enemies. This comes especially handy when you need to get closer to ranged enemies, or when cornered.
  • Heavy Stance sacrifices agility for better strength and resistance, but it’s a chance worth taking to quickly dispose of basic foes and break the guard of tougher enemies.
As the fight goes on, your Frenzy meter will also fill up, and once it boils over Cahal can unleash his fury. Frenzy is a double-edged sword: while active, it increases the speed and power of your attacks and allows you to unleash spectacular, dedicated combat moves. But in return, you can’t block, heal or use any other special move until the Fury gauge empties.​

Earthblood is now available for preorder at the Epic Games Store for $40 with a 10% discount. As somebody on our forums said, it looks janky enough to be promising.

Outmind

Augur
Meh.

We saw a lot of action, but where's the RPG? Also, where does he keep the crossbow when in wolf form?

I don't know, it looks as bland and cookie-cutter as many an action game released in the last 10 years. To be fair, this is just a scrap of gameplay that doesn't showcase everything the game can do. On the other hand, I'm reasonably sure that this is the core gameplay loop, and as such it doesn't seem very engaging.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Werewolves have been eco-terrorists in WoD for quite some time.

Yeah what RichardS said, it's kind of the setting's thing, actually - this isn't some latest craze hot take, it was core to the franchise (defending nature, I think).
I knew it wouldn't take me long thumbing through my old copy:
Werewolf: The Apocalypse said:
This game is about people, all kinds of people, who do their best to make their way through life after the revelation of their nature: that they are not the normal humans (or wolves) they once believed they were. Instead, they are Garou--outsiders, shapeshifters, werewolves, Earth's last dying protectors against a terrible force that grows stronger by the night.

Ironmonk

Augur
Well, they aren't "nature-lovers" without reason, from the wikia:
The Triat are three of the greatest entities in the spiritual hierarchy: the Wyld, the Weaver, and the Wyrm.

In the mythology of the Garou and other changing breeds, these three great spirits are responsible for the creation, preservation, and destruction of all things. As in most mythologies, there are multiple stories of the Triat, many contradictory. Opinions differ as to whether they created or were created by Gaia, and whether all three were created at the one time, had always existed, or created each other in a specific order.

Nature of the Triat
Theurges debate whether the members of the Triat are great spirits or another order of entity entirely, but it is known that, like Gaia and the Celestines, they are beyond the comprehension of mortals. They are never encountered directly, and even the mightiest of their spirit children never claim to speak for their patrons.

The Triat are primal forces rather than gods, and their personification seems unique to shapechanger mythology; mages who are students of Spirit are rarely aware of their existence, even when visiting the spirit world, though they recognize similar concepts in three of the Avatar Essences: Dynamic (Wyld), Pattern (Weaver) and Primordial (Wyrm). By contrast, shapechangers generally see all things as influenced by the Triat, able to detect the "taint" of Wyrm or Weaver on mundane and spiritual things.

Balance
All shapechangers agree that originally the Triat were in balance. Some say Wyld created raw matter, life, and spirit while Weaver gave these creations form and function, and the Wyrm destroyed them to make room for new creations. Others insist that the Wyrm was once known as Balance, selectively destroying the creations of Wyld and Weaver to create harmony from the opposing forces of chaos and order.

Shapechangers also agree that the Triat is no longer balanced: the Weaver draws on the strength of humanity - its cities, technology, industry, and science - and is stronger than ever before. The Wyld's influence retreats as natural resources are plundered, the wild places of the world destroyed, and nature forced to do man's bidding. Most dangerous of all, however, is the Wyrm - it feeds on evil and destroys without distinction. Something holds it in check, but Garou see its power growing and fear the day it will break free to bring the ultimate destruction - the Apocalypse.

Stories differ as to how the imbalance came about, but one of the most common tells that Weaver trapped the Wyrm in her webs, allowing her order to be imposed without being destroyed while the imprisoned Wyrm, unable to escape, fell into madness. In contrast, some claim the Weaver is insane, and the Wyrm's lust for destruction is in order to destroy the overabundance of order.

Relations
As a result of the threat of Wyrm and Weaver, most shapechangers revere the Wyld above the other members of the Triat, seeing it - and Gaia - in need of protection.

There are exceptions, however; the Ananasi, for example, revere all three equally, though each individual champions just one. The Weaver's main allies are human, though the activities of the Technocracy also give it great strength.

The Wyrm has only one group of devoted shapechangers: the Black Spiral Dancers, a tribe of werewolves once loyal to Gaia who were corrupted while battling the Wyrm. Hindu mages and vampires refer to the Triat by the Hindi word Trimurti, and vampires who simultaneously worship all three of the Triat refer to the Triat as the Primordia[1]. As vampires bear the taint of the Wyrm when scrutinized by feral Gifts, combined with vampires' love of cities and civilization (bulwarks of the Weaver), most shapechangers bear vehement enmity against vampires.

And IIRC, the big bad corporation that polluted the environment intentionally did it in both material and spiritual level, and the werewolves fought them on both planes (material and astral).

Delterius

Arcane
Werewolves have been eco-terrorists in WoD for quite some time.

Yeah what RichardS said, it's kind of the setting's thing, actually - this isn't some latest craze hot take, it was core to the franchise (defending nature, I think).
I knew it wouldn't take me long thumbing through my old copy:
Werewolf: The Apocalypse said:
This game is about people, all kinds of people, who do their best to make their way through life after the revelation of their nature: that they are not the normal humans (or wolves) they once believed they were. Instead, they are Garou--outsiders, shapeshifters, werewolves, Earth's last dying protectors against a terrible force that grows stronger by the night.
and that dark force is

fracking for oil and gas coupled with insufficient betting on geothermal futures, the energy of the future (any day now)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So you can't be a corporate werewolf bent on destroying the world and being the mega alpha of your woofs that are left. Also.... can't use guns? Boooooo!!!

Flying Dutchman

Learned
So you can't be a corporate werewolf bent on destroying the world and being the mega alpha of your woofs that are left. Also.... can't use guns? Boooooo!!!

Being a corporate werewolf sounds cool, so therefore, Paradox and White Wolf will axe that idea.

But if you want a Battle Royale game, they are there for you 100%.

Xelocix

Learned
The gameplay seems like it would get incredibly boring/repetitive after an hour or two, and the enemy A.I looks dumb. I can already tell this game is going to need one hell of a story to keep me playing.

Graphics also look super ugly. This game looks like it was made in 2013, not 2020. They should polish up the animations too, everything feels like it's still in an Alpha state.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Only way to know is to play. My bar is far lower than most as I'm hardly even a casual. It looks like a heavy gamepad game more do than keyboard/mouse. (And that's an obvious cosidering the platforms of consoles). If the play is smooth and not janky... might be worth a go. RPG? Eh.... I'm not convinced.... yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Graphics also look super ugly. This game looks like it was made in 2013, not 2020. They should polish up the animations too, everything feels like it's still in an Alpha state.

Why are you expecting big budget quality from a mid-budget Euro-title?

Xelocix

Learned
Why are you expecting big budget quality from a mid-budget Euro-title?

I'm not, I was just expecting more than this. The graphics quality looks little different from Styx: Master of Shadows, which Cyanide released 6 years ago.

At least it doesn't look like they're slapping every post-processing effect in existence over this game like they did with Call of Cthulhu though.

Theldaran

Liturgist
So youre playing an environmentally-aware ....werewolf?

Like a furry Greta???

Dafuc kindda sense does that make:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Werewolf was the Greta 25 years before Greta.

Ofc, Greta has mass appeal and Werewolf is limited to geeks. Just saying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom