Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Whalenought Studios Interview on Shane Plays

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Serpent in the Staglands; Shane Stacks; Whalenought Studios

Joe and Hannah Williams of Whalenought Studios are the guests on this week's episode of Shane Plays, the radio show/podcast run by Codexer Shane "sstacks" Stacks. Shane has been playing Serpent in the Staglands this week, and so much of the interview is spent randomly chattering about various aspects of the game that impressed him, in particular the setting and the monsters. He also asks them a few questions about the game's development, and about how they became game developers.

According to Joe and Hannah, with the help of word of mouth, Serpent in the Staglands has now sold just enough to justify further RPG development. Development on the free expansion, the scope of which has now increased beyond what was originally planned, is set to conclude "by the end of the year", though they're not sure it will be released this year. The expansions from the Kickstarter campaign's unmet stretch goals will unfortunately not be made, but Whalenought do want to return to the Vol setting in the future someday. Their next RPG after Serpent in the Staglands, however, will be something else. Something with a different ruleset and mechanics, a different non-pixel art graphical style, and an "80s sci-fi cyberpunk" theme.

At the end of the interview, Shane once again passes on various questions from Codexers. Joe and Hannah say that yes, Serpent in the Staglands' difficulty is where they wanted it to be, yes, they are considering turn-based combat for future projects, no, they aren't planning on ever returning to mobile game development, and yes, they do plan on changing up their UI design for future projects. Nice.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  2. karnak Arcane Patron

karnak
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
    Nice indeed.
    Even though Cyberpunk is not my scene we definitely need more Sci-Fi RPGs.
    May the gods give them strength for more Incline.

^ Top  
  3. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I wonder what this could be all about... :smug:

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What are you implying?

^ Top  
  5. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Just looking forward to what they have in store next. All part of the :incline:.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  7. getter77 Augur

getter77
    A damn shame about the fate of the unmet stretch goals, but balanced somewhat by this one upcoming expansion apparently getting fortified far beyond the initial scope for it---hopefully picking off choice bits and pieces of The Unmet. That or the hope for a robust sequel should they get to revisit the setting later on down the line. Fantastic that they are at operating strength though, doubly so from the sound of their next project being enticing indeed.

^ Top  
  8. Diggfinger Arcane

Diggfinger
    Yes!

^ Top  
  9. m_s0 Arcane

m_s0
    Clearly, the implication is that Avellone has joined Whalenought full-time.

^ Top  
  10. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Well done Turner! OHH YEAH!!!

I like these guys, good to hear they will made another game. )

^ Top  
  11. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    Clearly.

^ Top  
  12. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    Move to Seattle=Join Shadowrun team.

^ Top  
  13. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    I bought this game precisely because I expect their future projects to blow people away. They have the right idea thay just need to becime trained at turning it into a game. Unlike Obsidian that is opposite of that.

^ Top  
  14. ROARRR Savant Possibly Retarded

ROARRR
    :dance:

:yeah:

:d1p:

^ Top  
  15. Whalenought_Joe Whalenought Studios Developer

Whalenought_Joe
    Thanks for having us on sstacks ! That was a lot of fun.

I scanned the other thread and I think we answered all the questions. We'll have any big updates posted on our blog in the coming months for the expansion or anything else new if you're interested.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  16. sstacks Arcane

sstacks
    What ho, Joe! :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

:takemymoney::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

EDIT: I became a fanboy of this duo when
    Show Spoiler
    at the beginning of SITS I found a tree with a hole....morphed my caster into a cat, walked through the hole, found some weird guy in there, and was subsequently killed once I transformed back to my human form
    ....so great. Can't wait to finish this game once it's fully patched. If they make a TB game then I'll buy two and give one away to spread word of mouth.

EDIT2: Also, sstacks seems to have a good channel. Subscribed. Thanks for the link.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Abandoning the pixel graphics was a given, RIP pixels.

Owners: 3,378 ± 1,476

Hmm and yet Dead State with its $10 higher price and its 58,271 ± 6,130 owners did not sell enough to justify further RPG development. How very interesting.

(yes I know they needed more than two people to make theirs. :P)

^ Top  
  19. Sensuki Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    It's a bit like that when you get snubbed by the media.

^ Top  
  20. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    They will get lots more sales once the game goes on Steam sales and the daily steam sale sells a LOT of copies and maybe they get lucky to get offered one of those by Steam.
    I read post mortem of the Papers Please dev and he earned more money during steam sales than outside of it.

^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, that is quite normal.
    Sales & indie bundles usually earn more income than the normal selling.

^ Top  
  22. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Which is too bad as this is one cRPG that is actually worth full price... :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Papers Please has over a million owners on Steam. I am pretty sure it sold more than 4000 copies long before it went on sale. Comparing the two games is rather silly.

^ Top  
  24. Zetor Arcane

Zetor
    Paper Sorcerer has like 70k owners... but it was a $5 title to begin with, and I'm fairly sure most of those people got it for $1 or less as 'bundle fodder'.

^ Top  
  25. getter77 Augur

getter77
    My hope is that sales will surge with the now big expansion release---few things other than a big whack of new content and whatnot that can essentially give a second shot at life for a game, actual media coverage excuse, and so forth.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.