Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Whalenought Studios Interview on Shane Plays

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Serpent in the Staglands; Shane Stacks; Whalenought Studios

Joe and Hannah Williams of Whalenought Studios are the guests on this week's episode of Shane Plays, the radio show/podcast run by Codexer Shane "sstacks" Stacks. Shane has been playing Serpent in the Staglands this week, and so much of the interview is spent randomly chattering about various aspects of the game that impressed him, in particular the setting and the monsters. He also asks them a few questions about the game's development, and about how they became game developers.

According to Joe and Hannah, with the help of word of mouth, Serpent in the Staglands has now sold just enough to justify further RPG development. Development on the free expansion, the scope of which has now increased beyond what was originally planned, is set to conclude "by the end of the year", though they're not sure it will be released this year. The expansions from the Kickstarter campaign's unmet stretch goals will unfortunately not be made, but Whalenought do want to return to the Vol setting in the future someday. Their next RPG after Serpent in the Staglands, however, will be something else. Something with a different ruleset and mechanics, a different non-pixel art graphical style, and an "80s sci-fi cyberpunk" theme.

At the end of the interview, Shane once again passes on various questions from Codexers. Joe and Hannah say that yes, Serpent in the Staglands' difficulty is where they wanted it to be, yes, they are considering turn-based combat for future projects, no, they aren't planning on ever returning to mobile game development, and yes, they do plan on changing up their UI design for future projects. Nice.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something with a different ruleset and mechanics, a different non-pixel art graphical style, and an "80s sci-fi cyberpunk" theme.
Nice indeed.
Even though Cyberpunk is not my scene we definitely need more Sci-Fi RPGs.
May the gods give them strength for more Incline.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Their next RPG after Serpent in the Staglands, however, will be something else. Something with a different ruleset and mechanics, a different non-pixel art graphical style, and an "80s sci-fi cyberpunk" theme.
yes, they are considering turn-based combat for future projects
tumblr_lt1a476ufi1qht847.gif

getter77

Augur
A damn shame about the fate of the unmet stretch goals, but balanced somewhat by this one upcoming expansion apparently getting fortified far beyond the initial scope for it---hopefully picking off choice bits and pieces of The Unmet. That or the hope for a robust sequel should they get to revisit the setting later on down the line. Fantastic that they are at operating strength though, doubly so from the sound of their next project being enticing indeed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I bought this game precisely because I expect their future projects to blow people away. They have the right idea thay just need to becime trained at turning it into a game. Unlike Obsidian that is opposite of that.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
According to Joe and Hannah, with the help of word of mouth, Serpent in the Staglands has now sold just enough to justify further RPG development.
:dance:

Development on the free expansion, the scope of which has now increased beyond what was originally planned, is set to conclude "by the end of the year"
:yeah:

Their next RPG after Serpent in the Staglands, however, will be something else. Something with a different ruleset and mechanics, a different non-pixel art graphical style, and an "80s sci-fi cyberpunk" theme.
:d1p:

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Thanks for having us on sstacks ! That was a lot of fun.

I scanned the other thread and I think we answered all the questions. We'll have any big updates posted on our blog in the coming months for the expansion or anything else new if you're interested.

Mustawd

yes, they are considering turn-based combat for future projects

:takemymoney::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

EDIT: I became a fanboy of this duo when
at the beginning of SITS I found a tree with a hole....morphed my caster into a cat, walked through the hole, found some weird guy in there, and was subsequently killed once I transformed back to my human form
....so great. Can't wait to finish this game once it's fully patched. If they make a TB game then I'll buy two and give one away to spread word of mouth.

EDIT2: Also, sstacks seems to have a good channel. Subscribed. Thanks for the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Abandoning the pixel graphics was a given, RIP pixels.

Serpent in the Staglands has now sold just enough to justify further RPG development.

Owners: 3,378 ± 1,476

Hmm and yet Dead State with its $10 higher price and its 58,271 ± 6,130 owners did not sell enough to justify further RPG development. How very interesting.

(yes I know they needed more than two people to make theirs. :P)

ArchAngel

Arcane
They will get lots more sales once the game goes on Steam sales and the daily steam sale sells a LOT of copies and maybe they get lucky to get offered one of those by Steam.
I read post mortem of the Papers Please dev and he earned more money during steam sales than outside of it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Papers Please has over a million owners on Steam. I am pretty sure it sold more than 4000 copies long before it went on sale. Comparing the two games is rather silly.

Zetor

Arcane
Paper Sorcerer has like 70k owners... but it was a $5 title to begin with, and I'm fairly sure most of those people got it for $1 or less as 'bundle fodder'.

getter77

Augur
My hope is that sales will surge with the now big expansion release---few things other than a big whack of new content and whatnot that can essentially give a second shot at life for a game, actual media coverage excuse, and so forth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom