Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What’s Your Favourite post-Morrowind Bethesda Game ?

What’s Your Favourite post-Morrowind Bethesda Game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I blame the Codex for making me hate it as an RPG when it came out, rather than enjoying it as an action game (and it is a competent action game) and sandbox exploration thing. I mean honestly, Morrowind's RPG mechanics weren't exactly hot shit - in fact, they were cold, useless shit - and Daggerfall's were lukewarm shit due to patchy implementation, so it's not even like we should have been expecting anything gameplay-wise from an Elder Scrolls game beyond "has stats", "numbers go up when you do things", and "big swords better than little swords".
Morrowind and Daggerfall had some of the coolest magic systems out there, and especially Morrowind was goddamn great with its utility magic that made you feel like a god. Oblivion had a dumbed-down version of that, which was already kind of shit, but Skyrim just threw the whole thing out of the window and had you mostly shooting fire, ice or lightning out of your fingertips like in any other game out there.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah, the removal of many non-combat alternation/illusion spells, and the removal of the spellmaker entirely is definitely one of the big weaknesses of the game.

I think the simplified shoot-flames-from-your-hand system does serve the overall combat decently well, especially with the new system that lets you equip one thing in each hand, but the magic downgrade is for sure one of the areas where Skyrim loses out to previous TES games.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's true, though - Skyrim is one of the better open world exploration + combat + loot games to come out of this decade.
There's two bullshit quantifiers here. First, "open world exploration + combat + loot" is a ridiculously specific "genre". Second, "this decade" has been mostly shit.

Lemming42

Arcane
There's two bullshit quantifiers here. First, "open world exploration + combat + loot" is a ridiculously specific "genre". Second, "this decade" has been mostly shit.

Well, yeah. I already pointed the second one out. As for the first one, that's the game's strength. There really are no better games for people who want to have completely unguided exploration of a well-detailed world in an interesting setting (it doesn't have anywhere near Morrowind's level of lore built into the world, but it's a pretty reasonable and mostly canon-adhering representation of the Elder Scrolls setting, unlike Oblivion was), fight a decent range of enemies, have a huge level of freedom in what they choose to do and how they choose to do it (along with many different combat builds, pure stealth and several magic builds are viable, and the playstyles for each feel fairly distinct from each other), there aren't really any other games that offer that experience.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
LOL THEY ALL SUCK !!!! HERE'S MY REVIEW:

TES4: SHITTY SHITTY POO POO

FALLOUT 3: LU0OOLOLOLOLL I SUCK MCA DICK I SUCK MCA DICK

FALLOUT 4: LOLOOPILLLO LL L OL LGAARGLE GARGLE SLURP SLURP MCA DICK YUMMU YUMMU

TES5: POOPY POOPY SHJIT SHIT

I think, he's kaputt.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Gallery_OE17.png

There's an Elder Scrolls after Morrowind?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am a bit later but let me answer the title question: My favorite is Uninstall.exe

Or if I have to give an answer: Fallout Shelter. It is free and it at least provided some mild fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom