Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What’s Your Favourite post-Morrowind Bethesda Game ?

What’s Your Favourite post-Morrowind Bethesda Game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I know they only published it, but I'm going with New Vegas. Gun to my head, I'm going with... uh... Skyrim, I guess. Oblivion had that shit influence wheel, retarded writing, and a goofy boring landscape. Never played Rage, and '76's rep kept me miles away, if the MP state of it wouldn't have anyhow.

MWaser

Arbiter
Oblivion's quest design was for the most part considerably better than Skyrim's, but it's not saying much because Skyrim's quests were scraping the bottom of the barrel of creativity. I thought I was going to fucking die when I got Keening in Skyrim and holding it without wraithguard gave me -5 max health. At least with Oblivion's quests for the most part I've got a positive opinion of somewhat in recollection, their attempts at creativity weren't perfect but quite fun often enough. As I said before though, nothing about that is good enough to consider these games good because they all excel at various aspects of being garbage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
While Tribunal had a pretty neat story (IMO) the design of the maps and the city was outright lazy. Bloodmoon had a much nicer stretch of land, IMO.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Tribunal and Bloodmoon had both major issues, for example Tribunal's plot that made you run around with the idiot ball, and Bloodmoon's proto-Oblivion dungeons. Both are fine expansion packs with interesting setups but overall vastly inferior to the main game.

Oblivion's quest design was for the most part considerably better than Skyrim's, but it's not saying much because Skyrim's quests were scraping the bottom of the barrel of creativity.
I don't know if it was better per se, but it definitely had more variety. Skyrim is undoubtedly a better game, but its content is so dull and repetitive that I can't be arsed to play it even with Requiem or other mods. Even the Thieves Guild (which has Oblivion-tier writing, by the way) sends you into draugr dungeons like every other damn quest in the game, and you'll finish the entire quest line in a couple of hours anyway.

PsychoFox

Educated
My answer is Skyim. Before you stone me to death, you should know that I consider everything about Skyrim that is not it's worldspace or mod-ability to be worthless, but it just to malleable of a modding platform to not love it in that way. Again, whatever Bethesda has done with the game in terms of RPG, story, interactions, characters is just a pile of poop.

MWaser

Arbiter
My answer is Skyim. Before you stone me to death, you should know that I consider everything about Skyrim that is not it's worldspace or mod-ability to be worthless, but it just to malleable of a modding platform to not love it in that way. Again, whatever Bethesda has done with the game in terms of RPG, story, interactions, characters is just a pile of poop.
Well the community has certainly made Skyrim very... interesting as a result of its high moddability potential

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did you liked any post-Morrowind bethesda game ?

If you mean developed rather than just published, then Skyrim is the only decent one I have any experience of.

I'm sure Fallout 4 is okay in the same way, but they decided to weigh down the monotonous hiking sim with some monotonous cell phone game, immersion breaking civilization building mechanics, so my optimism isn't very high.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
In any other RPG, you spend a long time to grow your skills and get the gear you need to do the historic end-game things, like killing a dragon or a death claw.

In Skyrim and Fallout 4, you do that in the first 15 minutes. After that, it's all downhill.

And Morrowind is the only Bethesda game you can play unmodded.

PsychoFox

Educated
Did you liked any post-Morrowind bethesda game ?

If you mean developed rather than just published, then Skyrim is the only decent one I have any experience of.

I'm sure Fallout 4 is okay in the same way, but they decided to weigh down the monotonous hiking sim with some monotonous cell phone game, immersion breaking civilization building mechanics, so my optimism isn't very high.

Fallout 4 is a total retardation of everything both the Fallout franchise and the TES franchise have been all about. It's even a retardation of the Bethesda formula since its railroady story prevents you from "go where you want, do what you want" philosophy Dud Dotard always touts. It really is an awful game no matter how you look at it. People will tell you that Far Harbor is good, but they are judging it next to the base game. It's all equally degenerated.

Lemming42

Arcane
Tribunal and Bloodmoon suck ass, Tribunal moreso. Couldn't get the fuck out of Mournhold quick enough, and Solstheim wasn't much better. Not to mention the main quest for Tribunal railroads you into being an actual dumbass - all Morrowind quests suffer from railroading but at least the base game's main quest doesn't force you to be a complete dipshit.

Not to mention the laugh-out-loud funny addition of the Dark Brotherhood chumps who attack you the instant you go to sleep outside Seyda Neen, go down with a few smacks to the face, and drop you some quality armour that sells for a fortune. And then do the same thing a few hours later, over and over.

Open Path

Learned
Howard-tastes-b.png

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
Voted "All bad". Morrowind wasn't great in first place, but at least there was effort to make engaging video game. I'll say the drop from Morrowind to Oblivion was the most jarring, so much that I didn't really care about whatever Bethsoft shat out afterwards. I want to say Skyrim is marginally better than Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I won't bother to argue if somebody thinks other way, they're all sorts of unplayable garbage to me (I refuse to call them RPGs or video games). Never played Fallout 4 and 76, maybe they're the masterpieces everyone's been waiting, but at this point I gave up and moved on many years ago.

Codex Year of the Donut
Oblivion because there's a major lack of RPGs where you aren't the hero. You're a hero by the end of the game, but really just a footnote.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I kind of started to like Skyrim over the years. The more you ignore the story (or most quests), the more fun it gets just running around and exploring.

I just wanted to play a hunter, but then I turned into a headhunter, plundering the hideouts of bandits and buying myself a house from the loot. If you don't activate the dragons, Skyrim is a really fun game about exploring and clowning around (the game does that itself, I remember when my horse ran the stairs of a stronghold up and killed the guards for me. No, really, that happened), a game you can play for an hour and then do something else and it is fine.

And in hindsight the skill-system of this game does work better than the random stats-up stuff in Morrorwind.

Last edited:

Robert Erick

Educated
I'll instead tell you what my least favorite post-Morrowind Bethesda game was: Fallout 4. From the moment I heard the sad piano version of Fallout 3's theme I knew exactly what kind of game it was going to be, and as I was fighting the Deathclaw I was already bored to tears. I played for about 2 hours, then I quit and never thought about it again.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Every post-Morrowind Bethesda title: Just ignore all the quests and the story and the factions and just run around creating your own fun! It's so much better that way!

This is the truth, but it raises the question of why bother playing these games. I think if it weren't for mods, I wouldn't have finished any of them.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is the truth, but it raises the question of why bother playing these games
Because no other games really offer the same experience, sadly.
Bethesda may be shit at it, but nobody else is even trying to provide open world RPGs. The handful of ones we've had(e.g., ELEX, KCD) have been great.

I think if it weren't for mods, I wouldn't have finished any of them
I've never finished a post-morrowind Bethesda game :positive:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
This is the truth, but it raises the question of why bother playing these games. I think if it weren't for mods, I wouldn't have finished any of them.

Because it still looks pretty and I think people enjoy that kind of wanderlust. And Bethesda games can really work as silent narratives, with all the dungeons and stuff. I think they would really profit from less NPC's and more wandreliefs and stuff to tell a story. Skyrim could really work as post-apocalyptic game in a time after a terrible ice age and suddenly there would be, I dunno, depth?

Lemming42

Arcane
It's true, though - Skyrim is one of the better open world exploration + combat + loot games to come out of this decade. I'd go as far to say it's in the top 20 games of the decade too, but that's possibly more a condemnation of the 2010s than it is praise of Skyrim.

I blame the Codex for making me hate it as an RPG when it came out, rather than enjoying it as an action game (and it is a competent action game) and sandbox exploration thing. I mean honestly, Morrowind's RPG mechanics weren't exactly hot shit - in fact, they were cold, useless shit - and Daggerfall's were lukewarm shit due to patchy implementation, so it's not even like we should have been expecting anything gameplay-wise from an Elder Scrolls game beyond "has stats", "numbers go up when you do things", and "big swords better than little swords".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom