Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are games that enthrall you with purely their atmosphere

juhotuho

Barely Literate
I have been rewatching a lot Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies lately and being filled with childlike sense of wonder, I wanted to find some games that make you practically foam from your mouth due to their atmospheric brilliance. Ignore all gameplay aspects and just focus on the world itself.
Only ones that I can name are Morrowind and maybe Dark Souls 1, so please educate an uncultured faggot like me by sharing your favorites!

ferratilis

Magister
Gothic 1 and 2
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Mafia 1 (Vavra's work in general)
Witcher 1
Dark Souls 1 and 2
Stalker games

There are many others, but these are the ones whose atmosphere stuck with me the most.

Zlaja

Arcane
Deus Ex
Thief
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
Diablo
Silent Hill
Resident Evil Remake

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
During the first hours of each replay, something about Arx Fatalis always made me feel like I ran an immersive sim fantasy for the first time in my life.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
2181550-out-of-this-world-amiga-arriving-on-an-alien-planet-with-half-of.png
2182828-out-of-this-world-amiga-swing-buddy-swing-or-do-you-wanna-wait-f.png

2182524-out-of-this-world-amiga-a-view-upon-the-alien-city.png
2183351-out-of-this-world-amiga-turning-enemy-into-toasts-or-vice-versa-.png

Another World (1991)

deuxhero

Arcane
Since Morrowind and various games with horror elements have been mentioned, here's some other games where the visual styles is an essential part of the package.
S Tier:
Idea no Hi

Freely embracing its artist's comedic background (one of his works, Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga, even got a western translation and some professional recognition as a brilliant satirical work and continues to have sections passed around on image boards to this day) it both embraces and lampoons jRPG conventions while avoiding "normal" enemies almost entirely. Had it not been for the sheer style of this game it would have been relegated to the dustbin of forgettable SFC jRPGs as its gameplay is merely OK in an era of greats. It's Earthbound before Earthbound, but even more crude and crass in its humor.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (and Origins)
wBf63Ru.png

Taking place on a series of floating islands, each with their own aesthetic, a game that uses its prerendered backgrounds to freely showcase the art while the weird world mechanics spice up an otherwise fairly straightforward story. Unfortunately LOLcalizers ruin the recent HD Re-Release.

The World Ends With You
aPO7gXl.png

Putting Nomura's belt fetish art in the one setting it has any business being in: Modern Shibuya youth culture with an actual no friends protagonist. The fun gameplay is, unfortunately, essentially un-portable due to having been designed to use every weird feature of the original Nintendo DS as actual features instead of just gimmicks. Sequel was ruined by DEI/"ethics department" and being a sequel to a personal passion project about youth where the people in charge clearly had neither passion nor youth.

Freedom Force (and sequel)
yH1IkrN.jpeg

Attempts to imitate and capture the look and feel of a post-war American comic book. It generally succeeds at it, and it does this without depending on gaudy filters or fixed cameras trickery. UI is both super readaable and unique, which is a rare combo.

A Tier:
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
8ZE633V.png

While Suzuhito Yasuda's big titted and same face girls in overly designed clothes is absolutely the weak point of the Devil Survivor duology and clashes horribly with the demon sprites (largely reused from older games with much darker styling), I think it actually works really well here. In general his style translates well to 3D, and the (generally oblivious to what's going on) "real world" humans (most of whom are late teens, several of whom are explicitly into fashion) from non-ruined near future Tokyo are a place where it absolutely fits. These characters pair well with the cyberworld asthetic and bright and colorful toy commerical monsters, all of whom work to contrast the darker monsters that are alien even to the "normal" monsters. Really this only gets this high because the whole game is "low budget but charming" (It was originally an outsourced handheld title that got ports because Vita was essentially dead in the west by the time a translation was ready) and would not be nearly as high if it had a bigger budget.

Akiba's Trip 2
Yl7nbbV.png

A bunch of developers from Akihabara made a game freely embracing the whacky and excessive parts of early 2010s Akihabara and Otaku culture. It's recommended you adjust the lighting options (An in-game set of sliders. The PS4 version the PC version is based on a lot of weird random features like that because it was done to get a hang of the PS4 and its new features) to be closer to the bright and colorful PS3 original instead of the harsh and drab default. Again, molested by LOLcalization in a recent re-release.

Valkyria Chronicles
BdZZnPM.jpeg

Canvas attempts to make the game look like a water color in motion, and it generally succeeds. Unfortunately, it barely does anything interesting with the visual style and it's mostly just a filter gimmick. The very anime and often very modern (instead of quasi 1940s) character designs (who are mostly head swaps with slight height variance) don't really pair with it either, and Canvas is at its prettiest when you look at mechanical objects, structures, flora and faceless goons instead of any of the player characters.

ind33d

Learned
I have been rewatching a lot Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies lately and being filled with childlike sense of wonder, I wanted to find some games that make you practically foam from your mouth due to their atmospheric brilliance. Ignore all gameplay aspects and just focus on the world itself.
Only ones that I can name are Morrowind and maybe Dark Souls 1, so please educate an uncultured faggot like me by sharing your favorites!
Watch_Dogs 1 with the E3 graphics mods

Fargus

Arcane
Gothic games, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, Bloodlines, Stalker, Deus Ex, Metro games have the best atmosphere i've seen in vidya.

Gothic 1 and 2

Gothic games

As much as I love Gothic 2, it's not as atmospheric as the first game.

Why not? I enjoyed both the atmosphere of big city of Khorinis as well as returning to the ore valley to see it changed to something even worse and more dangerous. I think they nailed it.
The one thing Gothic 2 doesn't have going for it compared to Gothic is the atmosphere/setting. Returning to the ore valley for a chapter is the highlight and still not as good as Gothic in terms of atmosphere. I always wanted Gothic setting infused with everything else Gothic 2 related.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Phantasy Star 4. I could rattle off dozens of games I think have great atmosphere, but PS4 is probably the only one where's I'd say that's really it's only redeeming quality. The mechanics are ass, the exploration is mediocre, the pacing is awful. But god damn between the story, music and artwork I've never had anything else that came remotely close to capturing that feeling of being in another world.

Maybe I'll throw in BoF5 as well. The setting of a gigantic underground shelter silo for humanity in a post apocalyptic world had me thinking about it even when not playing, and I still find myself thinking about it and imagining the kinds of stories you could fit in there to this day. The different individual settlements and assorted areas in between required for logistics and maintenance in various states of disrepair or security really made the place feel believable and interesting in a way your standard fantasy does not.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Since they haven't been mentioned yet, and they're a few of my favorite games of all time, Pathologic, Pathologic 2, and Tension (aka The Void). If you like heavy emphasis on atmosphere in games, you owe it to yourself to play all of these.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Final Fantasy XII
Stonekeep
Lands of Lore II
Baldur's Gate 2

Diablo 1
Starcraft
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei III
Morrowind
Bloodlines

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Gothic 1 and 2

Gothic games

Why not? I enjoyed both the atmosphere of big city of Khorinis as well as returning to the ore valley to see it changed to something even worse and more dangerous. I think they nailed it.
The one thing Gothic 2 doesn't have going for it compared to Gothic is the atmosphere/setting.

I still don't see why not?

I don't consider Gothic 2 atmosphere weaker, it's just different compared to the first game. Because lots of things contribute to atmosphere of these games: sound design and music, living world with npcs that have their own schedules and reaction, location design etc. Both games succeed in my opinion.

Gothic 1 and 2

Gothic games

The one thing Gothic 2 doesn't have going for it compared to Gothic is the atmosphere/setting.

I still don't see why not?

I don't consider Gothic 2 atmosphere weaker, it's just different compared to the first game. Because lots of things contribute to atmosphere of these games: sound design and music, living world with npcs that have their own schedules and reaction, location design etc. Both games succeed in my opinion.
They both succeed in all those points, but Gothic has an edge because on top of everything, it's unique and has much more interesting faction dynamics & worldbuilding. Gothic 2 improved many things on the gameplay axis but stumbled into a more generic setting without improving on the story mechanics.

cruel

Cipher
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Planescape: Torment
Gothic
Arx Fatalis

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Instead of searching through my memory banks, I will consult my list of games I have beaten this year and pick ones with awesome atmosphere.

(not my pictures)

Hellslave
ss_961bd822c02cae897d0b336647419c84d2f083ba.1920x1080.jpg

Yonder
Yonder-The-Cloud-Catcher-Chronicles-still.jpg

Plushie From The Sky
Plushie-from-the-Sky-Screenshot-001.webp

Dystopika
dystopika_07.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom