Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What ARE outdated mechanics?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by IronicNeurotic, Apr 8, 2011.

1. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    As everything gets dumbed down we hear more and more that the mechanics of old are outdated. For me outdated means mechanics that have become obsolete due to more efficent/better mechanics that do the same thing.

So why is "outdated" used for every fucking thing?

How can turnbased be outdated when other options don't allow the same tactical depth?
    How is top-down view outdated when other mechanics don't give the same overview over the battlefield?

^ Top  
  2. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Any game mechanics that aren't in World of Warcraft are outdated.

^ Top  
  3. Gord Arcane

Gord
    Outdated in management-speak means that less people will buy the game (or so they fear) because they cannot grasp the concept/find it too boring due to ADD.

OTOH, how well a certain mechanic works depends a lot on it's implementation.
    E.g. turnbased mode in Fallout Tactics was great in hard and/or important fights because it was much easier to issue commands to your squad. Cleaning up a whole map in TB however could take ages and became somewhat repetitive, which is why I switched to realtime for this, even if it meant taking more injuries and wasting more ammo.

^ Top  
  4. waywardOne Arcane

waywardOne
    what outdated should mean:

"back in 'xx when we made GameZ, we really wanted to do Y and G but [the technology wasn't available -- OR -- we didn't have the budget/time/freedom]."

what outdated usually means:

"we heard gamers liked feature X but [we suck at coding -- OR -- we want to sell to the masses of idiots feature X would exclude if properly implemented]."

examples would be complex rock-paper-scissors relationships between weapons and armors.

^ Top  
  5. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    IMO, outdated mechanics:

Instant heal potions needs to go away.
    Those are generally bad for game balance. Any avenues of healing that are instantaneous makes for poor combat. *See Fallout series*

No cool-down potions are somewhat good for balancing, but...I feel they should penalize players for chugging down potions, make them gain less benefit and at the chance of inflicting harmful effect instead. Just like overdosing on some medicines, I guess.

Otherwise...hmm. I'm not sure what else is there.

^ Top  
  6. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Outdated mechanics:
    1. numbers
    2. non mana based spellcasting
    3. non cooldown based skill usage
    4. healing and resurrection
    5. non 3D gameplay

At least according to the mainstream.

^ Top  
  7. Falkner Thread Decliner Patron

Falkner
    Wasteland 2
    The Witcher did this nicely with the toxicity. There was no cooldown for your potions, you just couldn't chug your whole inventory down in one encounter and had to rest to get your toxicity levels down again.

DA2 on the other hand...

^ Top  
  8. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Uh. DA: O was terrible in this aspect, I feel. DA2 might have longer cooldowns but nobody really needed to worry about that unless they play on hard or nightmare. Normal is just a breeze for anyone willing to focus fire.

I played Witcher and I know what you're talking about. There is a potion to reduce toxicity to counter-act it. But all in all, in-combat healing is harder to achieve in Witcher, and I like it for that. Too bad the combat is turning me off from replaying it again. Perhaps I'll pick it up again to export a safe to Witcher 2. (Must. Not. LP. Another. Game.)

^ Top  
  9. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    That potion also purges all positive effects from your system, so it's not that bad [​IMG]

^ Top  
  10. Black Arcane

Black
    Real-time.
    Shit is so inferior to turn-based :obviously:

^ Top  
  11. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    bosses that can be talked down

bosses that do not require a pattern

friendly fire

ammo

isometric view

accuracy

non-combat skills

^ Top  
  12. Karmapowered Augur

Karmapowered
    I think you must be confused.
    If all of the above had to be outdated, that would be a FPS setting you'd be talking about.

:rpgcodex: = cRPGs, right ?

To me, outdated mechanics in modern cRPGs =

1. awesome buttons. Stick to your console shooters, please.
    2. instant healing/mana potions, definitely, in a shape or another.
    3. enemies dropping out of thin air, popping in the room/corridor behind that you just cleared/explored.
    4. being forced by the game to walk up to enemies when detecting them. First thing I'd want to do when I see an enemy is to shoot, not to listen to idiotic babbles/taunts that the Devs thought cool to implement.
    5. iron-man, I can do it all, savior of the world games. I want to face tactical situations, that I can handle only thanks to a multi-talented team squad (see Wastelands/Darklands/Fallout/BG/Planescape/Arcanum, etc).

I am fairly sure I could find dozens more, but I am gonna stop here, or this will sound like "yet another DA2 thread" again.

^ Top  
  13. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    There are no 'outdated' mechanics. There are only those good and bad, well or badly implemented.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gord Arcane

Gord
    I get what you mean, but insta-heal is an (outdated?) feature that has been present since the dawn of cRPGs, including some of the best games from the genre. Certainly debatable, but ultimately depends on the balancing of the game I guess.
    And that other point is definitely an option in some of the examples you mention.

^ Top  
  15. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Why do you talk about multi-talented team squads and then list games that can be easily finished with a soloing PC?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    Selling less than 3 or 4 million copies is a prime example of outdated game mechanic.

^ Top  
  17. I.C. Wiener Educated

I.C. Wiener
    What? I don't get what you mean. Are you talking about being forced to initiate conversation?

^ Top  
  18. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    To read what happened, open manual at page 25 paragraph two.

^ Top  
  19. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    He specifically means DAO. And possibly its successor. Your entire fucking party approached every talkative enemy in that game and stopped, like, 2 or 3 meters from that enemy. Exceptionally jarring in the Ser Cauthrien fight, but some daemons also wanted to chat with you, bringing the party into the middle of a bunch of enemies.

^ Top  
  20. Karmapowered Augur

Karmapowered
    That would be correct (but could be extended to many other cRPGs out there).

There is stuff I can bear, and then there is stuff that just screams "I am a fucking lazy ass designer, and I don't care about creating a good game" to me :

1. Player perfectly knows that there is an enemy behind the next door
    2. Player character reloads incendiary ammo, prepares team to throw some grenades inside room, positions every member of the team so that they can cover each other, whatever
    Note : You may adapt the above to "cast short-timed protective spells (buffs) and mages prepare to nuke the hell out of whatever is behind the door" if you prefer a more fantasy-like setting

This sounds fairly good so far, right ?

Well, tough luck, Buyoware's lazy designer #3 just happened to walk by, and thinks it is fun to trigger cutscene #63412 :

1. the whole team switches back to idle stance, casually trots into the room, handshakes everyone, before getting taunted by DaEvil guy #54623 with ultra-smart one-liners
    2. Battle inevitably ensues, with enemies surrounding the team this time

:x

Such stupid level design gives me the hives, and makes me want to punch whoever is responsible for it in the face twice : once for thinking this could be fun to any kind of player to start with, and twice for wasting my time.

This bullcrap has to go from good cRPGs, once for all.

^ Top  
  21. Karmapowered Augur

Karmapowered
    That is precisely my point.

If the game gives me a team to work with, it should be more than a weak excuse for pixelized romances : it should be a true, almost essential, asset for anyone (barring the masochist min-maxing power-freak, that doesn't mind to reload 5 times every 30 seconds).

The games I mentioned came closest to such an experience to me, even though I probably ought to have added Jagged Alliance and Ufo X-Com to it.

^ Top  
  22. Karmapowered Augur

Karmapowered
    Not going to argue here.

There should be more satisfying concepts out there however, some that would apply to a cRPG without munchkinizing it.

I believe it is time to give those newer mechanics a fair chance to be researched, and experimented upon in games.

Guild Wars 2 might just be that pioneer.

^ Top  
  23. zeitgeist Magister

zeitgeist
    Because it's a handy euphemism for "we don't need to spend time and money on feature X anymore and the game will still sell just as well if not better because we've shaped the minds of our audience to be dull and undemanding"? Words like these are used in PR/marketing in every industry, and it's scary how many people mistake them for statements of fact and try to use them as basis for logical arguments.

Anyway, in terms of cRPGs, "outdated" should ideally be anything that ignores the advances made in the fields of gameworld complexity/simulation, character customization, the relation between the character and the gameworld, and generally emulating the pen&paper RPG experience and all the things that are theoretically possible to do in a pen&paper RPG session. So one example would be: static NPC quest dispensers should be considered "outdated" in favor of NPCs with actual jobs, schedules, and proper interactivity with the rest of the world and the PC.

Of course, all this depends on the focus of the game, since it's pretty much impossible to make a game "with everything", sometimes it's necessary to abstract some things that have been done better/more complex in other games with a different focus, or of a different subgenre of cRPG.

But in general, everything that doesn't consciously reach towards the ideal (by, if not mimicking, at least analyzing and being aware of the advances in a specific field through the cRPG history, and implementing it to the best of their abilities/adapting it so that it meshes well with the rest of the game's feature set) should be considered "outdated", and depending on the reasons behind it, as either a catastrophically uninformed or an outright malicious action on the part of the developer.

^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    This is why zeitgeist is on my BRO list.

^ Top  
  25. Befuddled Halfling Educated

Befuddled Halfling
    Outdated (adjective) mechanics (noun, plural): Video Game Publisher synonym for Features that require use of the human brain.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.