Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some fun PS1/PS2 games man

hello friend

Arcane
Is this the right forum? I've been messing around with pcsx2 lately, but I've never owned a console and don't know what's good. So. What are some good or otherwise fun PS1/PS2 games? I got Shadow of the Colossus, always wanted to try it. Don't really know what to load up next, have a Diablo ROM here tho. I don't like JRPGs, generally, and I don't like sidescrolling platformers.

Hyperion

Arcane
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics
Resident Evil 4
Okami (this one is being released in HD on Steam soon)
Ico
Devil May Cry
Twisted Metal Black
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Alundra
Vagrant Story
King's Field 4.
Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre make every list regardless of whether or not you like JRPG's. :dealwithit:

Edit: I don't care if you don't like sidescrolling platformers, Symphony of the Night, and Valkyrie Profile are too damn good to leave off. I feel dirty not including them.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't like JRPGs
While I would be snarky and point out why exactly you would ask for games on this subforum, but most console/emulation stuff is moved here anyway so I won't complain. Well for starters you should an emulator that's not PCSX2 for PS1 stuff, I think the best one lately is Mednafen, but I don't use it often.

Metal Gear Solid Trilogy. Story can be a bit silly but I like the gameplay.
Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 - 1 has a great remake on GC if you'd rather play that.
Silent Hill 1 & 2 - Wusses need not apply (me)

If you don't mind 3d platformers.
Crash Trilogy (remakes look dumb)
Spyro Trilogy
Sly Cooper

Fuck your preferences:
Final Fantasy Tactics (although I like the PSP version better, so sue me)
King's Field 4

Also what Hyperion said. Also the Diablo PS1 port is bad, get rid of it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
God of war 1+2. Silly but charming action adventures. Great encounter design, solid riddles, over the top violence, greek mythology setting, Kratos.

Metal gear solid 3. Solid stealthgame

Persona 4 .Its a jrpg/schoolsim but it is one of the few jrpgs i bothered finishing. Good atmosphere.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png
legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-usa-v1-1.jpg
Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_2_cover.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Hybrid (not very good, but still an interesting Doom clone)
Tecmo's Deception
Biohazard series
King's Field series
Shadow of Destiny
Shadow Tower series
Evergrace series
Eternal Ring
Echo Night series
SMT: Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga
Armored Core
Nightmare Creatures (the first game is also available on PC)
Onimusha 3 (also available on PC)
Project Eden (also available on PC)
Chaos Legion (PC port is not very good, so)

JP only:
Baroque
Hungry Ghosts
Fox Junction

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Loaded & ReLoaded
Wipeout
Kula World
Cool Boarders 3
Kurushi
MediEvil 1 & 2
Jumping Flash!
Future Cop: L.A.P.D
Dino Crisis
Mega Man Legends
Parappa the Rapper
Tomba
Klonoa
Herc's Adventures
Demo 1 for dat T-Rex and Manta Ray.

Siveon

Bot
JP only:
Baroque
Hungry Ghosts
Fox Junction

Like clockwork, Zig comes in with the moonrune games nobody can play because it's in an entirely different language, and is dependent on knowing said language. Hungry Ghosts might get an English translation soon, so it has that going for it. Looks like a fun King's Field like game too.

Note: Half of the games he mentions are either from From Software (Souls, King's Field) or like King's Field in some way. Joking aside, do you really like Evergrace and Chaos Legion? I've seen a mixed reception from them.

Demo 1 for dat T-Rex and Manta Ray.

Gud PS1 action games. Brave Fencer Musashi and Einhander should also be played.

The Demo1 recommendation confused the hell out of me, lol.

Hyperion

Arcane
Baroque is available in English on ps2. No idea if it's much different from the original though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Baroque is available in English on ps2. No idea if it's much different from the original though.

It's almost a different game. Sega Saturn Baroque is a FPP and has a badass soundtrack. PS2 / Wii remake is 3rd person and has a worse soundtrack. It really messed up with the atmosphere of the game.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Like clockwork, Zig comes in with the moonrune games nobody can play because it's in an entirely different language, and is dependent on knowing said language. Hungry Ghosts might get an English translation soon, so it has that going for it. Looks like a fun King's Field like game too.
My knowledge of Japanese is none at best so my recommendations are based on personal experience either with a guide or intuitively learning how the game works. Fox Junction is a fun roguelite if you want to spend 20-30 minutes listening to badass soundtrack while murdering robots on randomly-generated maps. Baroque is fun and atmospheric and there is enough information and tiny details inside the game that allow you to identify stuff easily. That is, if your INT is high enough so you can read "HP +30".

Joking aside, do you really like Evergrace and Chaos Legion? I've seen a mixed reception from them.
Evergrace is ok in my book, I've enjoyed it despite its flaws. Gameplay is simple yet nuanced enough to keep me entertained and the aethetics and music are rather pleasant, so I'd recommend it if you are into From Software stuff.
Chaos Legion is very enjoyable if you know what you're getting into. It's more of an action game focused on using Legions, finding weak spots of stronger enemies and enjoying the badass soundtrack than a DMC clone and that prolly disappointed a lot of people. The PC version is atrocious as hell tho.

PS2/Wii version is very different and worse in many ways.

hello friend

Arcane
Wow, that's a lot of suggestions. How many of those feature multiplayer coop?

Well for starters you should an emulator that's not PCSX2 for PS1 stuff, I think the best one lately is Mednafen, but I don't use it often.
Yeah I've got epsxe as well. Is Mednafen a big improvement?

I should have specified that I have no interest in 3d platforming either, had no idea there were so many of them. Don't give a shit about story either most of the time - in fact, I'd rather avoid it unless it's particularly well done. Probably even then.

That Okami looks pretty interesting, very different.

Got Ico and Pirates: Legend of Black Kat

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Playstation
Policenauts (1996; originally 1994 on PC98)
Ghost in the Shell (1997)
Final Fantasy IX (2000)

Playstation 2
Ico (2001)
Shadow of Destiny (2001)
King's Field: The Ancient City (2001)
Zettai Zetsumei Toshi a.k.a. Disaster Report (2002)
Soul Calibur II (2003)
Katamari Damacy (2004)
Shadow of the Colossus (2005)
Okami (2006)
Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2 a.k.a. Raw Danger (2006)

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and Okami all had HD versions released on the PS3.

Siveon

Bot
Since you asked about games for 2nd and 3rd best console ever (with Snes being #1), I think you should check these quality and comprehensive threads:

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

Instead of dealing with every fag posting his favorite, but often obscure and flawed shit, mostly from the genres he likes.
Those lists do the same thing. You have crappy games like Mortal Kombat: Sub-Zero and Star Gladiator, that people still liked aside from the glaring flaws. Though I do like those lists as most of the games are generally good and noteworthy for something. Though the plus with asking personally is that you can ask and better understand why they're mentioning the game in the first place.

Wow, that's a lot of suggestions. How many of those feature multiplayer coop?

None for PS2, but you could get netplay working on Mednafen for PS1.

I should have specified that I have no interest in 3d platforming either, had no idea there were so many of them. Don't give a shit about story either most of the time - in fact, I'd rather avoid it unless it's particularly well done. Probably even then.
No worries. I was being cheeky anyway, I didn't think the turn to 3D would actually interest you either. Though you are dating yourself a bit, 3D platformers were a big deal in the late 90s - early 00s.

hello friend

Arcane
If you were to recommend only one fighting game, which would it be, and why? Pretty much only one I've played is Tekken Tag Tournament and one of the DoAs (3?).

Check out this shit :D

Looks good for splitscreen with some bros and some beers.

Gonna check out Gladius, Monster Rancher 2, and Dynasty Warriors 5. Does anyone know if any of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms ports are any good?

King's Field looks cool.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom