Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are some non MMO RPG-s where you can equip your character witha ton of different gear at once?

Outmind

Augur
Aside from games such as WoW, and maybe Baldur's gate and the like, what are some sprpg-s where your character can not only carry a ton of stuff, but an equip a ton of stuff as well?. The more equipment slots, the merrier!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Rage of Mages 2

rom2684.jpg

Helmet, armour, greaves, gauntlets, pauldrons, sword arm, shield arm, amulet, 2 rings OH GOD ITZ HEAVAN

Rpgsaurus Rex

Rage of Mages 2

rom2684.jpg

Helmet, armour, greaves, gauntlets, pauldrons, sword arm, shield arm, amulet, 2 rings OH GOD ITZ HEAVAN

I could never seriously bring myself to buy/equip the hat on the right, even if it had ridiculously good stats.

It just looks... like a mini wizard on your head.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Half the fun of Pimpin' of Mages 2 was to set up the most ridiculous outfits possible.

And besides, it's not like the other wizard hats looked much better either :lol:

rom2202.jpg

:thumbsup:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Might and Magic series let's you equip quite a lot of items.

Helmet, armor, gauntlets, belt, sword and shield arm, amulets and 6 ring slots, if I remember correctly. Not too much, but it's a start.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It would be cool if looks of character were somehow integrated into gameplay. I wonder if it's possible to make algorithms for recognizing aesthetics.

Sul

Savant
It would be cool if looks of character were somehow integrated into gameplay. I wonder if it's possible to make algorithms for recognizing aesthetics.
Morrowind had this. And it was somewhat vital for Hlaalu quests if you did not had a very high charisma and persuasion. Nobles would have more disposition if you were using expensive clothes and the poor folk would like you more if you dressed like them.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Morrowind had this. And it was somewhat vital for Hlaalu quests if you did not had a very high charisma and persuasion. Nobles would have more disposition if you were using expensive clothes and the poor folk would like you more if you dressed like them.
I thought mainly about compositions, different fashions, different factions, etc.
For example there could be aesthetics which would care mainly about composition, fashionistas which would care mainly about current trends, symbolics, etc.
And you'd have to compose your own clothing sets like in dress-up games except that all of that would be mechanically meaningful.

Are you a masochist or something Awor? You spend all your time in GD complaining about fashion discrimination and how it should be a crime but you think it would be an interesting mechanic in a computer game?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Are you a masochist or something Awor? You spend all your time in GD complaining about fashion discrimination and how it should be a crime but you think it would be an interesting mechanic in a computer game?
The game could about an aesthetic underground fighting against the hordes of fashion with their superior design or something :D .

The main potentially interesting setting that I can think of where fashion related mechanics might be interesting would be in a social-oriented Victorian era RPG. This is a setting I would really like to see in a game anyway, but I imagine the whole dressing up appropriately as you attend lavish dinner parties trying to mingle with aristocratic elite and impress them though your speechcraft and good fashion sense might be quite fun, especially if you have a mild touch of sharp observational humour running through it all.

Fashion in this modern era though, that would just be mundane.

Anyway on topic, the OP presumably means ones about dressing up, so any of the later Elder Scrolls games probably can't be beaten in that respect just considering all of the content available from modders. No need for individual equipment slots if there are just so many types of clothing available that you will be too tired to look through it all.

GaemzDood

Educated
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, the amount of customization is the shit.
0.jpg
Also, Ultima VII let you become an unstoppable god if you find the easter eggs; watch Spoony's review.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The main potentially interesting setting that I can think of where fashion related mechanics might be interesting would be in a social-oriented Victorian era RPG. This is a setting I would really like to see in a game anyway, but I imagine the whole dressing up appropriately as you attend lavish dinner parties trying to mingle with aristocratic elite and impress them though your speechcraft and good fashion sense might be quite fun, especially if you have a mild touch of sharp observational humour running through it all.

Fashion in this modern era though, that would just be mundane.
How about it happening in modern era, but the player being able to create incredibly elegant out of time costumes that would make the enemies commit suicide from shame?

Norfleet

For example there could be aesthetics which would care mainly about composition, fashionistas which would care mainly about current trends, symbolics, etc.
And you'd have to compose your own clothing sets like in dress-up games except that all of that would be mechanically meaningful.
Are you seriously suggesting that aesthetics is even quantifiable? Fashion makes no logical sense and no computer will ever understand it. Most PEOPLE don't even understand it. You know it happens in real life: People are regularly seen wandering the streets in stuff that you'd think would have to give massive stat boosts, because you wouldn't be caught dead wearing that unless it did. But no, for some reason, they actually think this is a good idea.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Are you seriously suggesting that aesthetics is even quantifiable? Fashion makes no logical sense and no computer will ever understand it. Most PEOPLE don't even understand it. You know it happens in real life: People are regularly seen wandering the streets in stuff that you'd think would have to give massive stat boosts, because you wouldn't be caught dead wearing that unless it did. But no, for some reason, they actually think this is a good idea.
Well, it would be aesthetics which would be quantifiable in some way, but fashion would be completely irrational. They are the bad guys after all.

Phelot

Arcane
Half the fun of Pimpin' of Mages 2 was to set up the most ridiculous outfits possible.

And besides, it's not like the other wizard hats looked much better either :lol:

rom2202.jpg

:thumbsup:

Yeah, you could set up some atrocious looking outfits. The wizard garbs are just ridiculous and of course the best looking ones always end up being the worst.

EDIT: Also, Mount and Blade :smug:

Seriously, any modern game that allows something other than one slot for armor is a blessing.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Party based games will naturally out-inventory any other game. Take Wizardry 8 for example. 10 equip slots+2 for alt weapons +8 carried items for consumables and such. Now multiply all that by 8.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

And good old Crassius Curio would have more disposition if you wore no clothes.

Rpgsaurus Rex

And good old Crassius Curio would have more disposition if you wore no clothes.

Hahh, that was a classic moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom