Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the scariest games you've played?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Scary can mean different things to different people, and it can be in different forms, like classic jump-scares, sinister and macabre atmospheres and settings along with a scary sound design, tragic stories and truly evil characters and so on.

So I'm almost about to finish Resident Evil 7, and it actually surprised me how scary it was and I got to thinking - What are the scariest games you guys played?

For me the list is something along this, but the order changes sometimes at replays.

1. Alien Isolation
2. Resident Evil 1 + 7
3. Outlast / Outlast Whistleblower DLC
4. The Evil Within
5. Resident Evil 2 + 3
6. Dead Space 1+2
7. STASIS / CAYNE
8. Silent Hill 2
9. SOMA
10. Clive Barker's Undying

Thing's I wanna play: Penumbra series, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Last of Us (most of them are not PC games tho)

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Penumbra Overture and Penumbra Black Plague. But Silent Hill 2 is my ultimate favorite ask anyone

Also thought Silent Hill Homecoming was good despite what the hardcore fans thought.

kris

Arcane
I think it was Dungeon Master I remember. Damn I felt it was tense walking around the corners and down the dark corridors, made worse by knowing there was a dragon somewhere.

Jazz_

Arcane
The first Resident Evil.
Doom III: it was pretty fucking scary until I got used to the whole gameplay gimmick and it became repetitive.
Crysis: not the actual game, but going at the edge of the map in open sea, and going underwater: poor visibility, the sound of the breather, and you know that there are bigass sharks around you, it was incredibly nerve-wracking for me.

Gord

Arcane
Amnesia: TdD, Alien: Isolation, The Cradle in Thief 3, some parts of other games and a couple more I don't remember right now.

To some extend, all of them suffered from the same problem, though, which is that you eventually get accustomed to The Threat (tm) to some extend, or find out how to deal with it and minimize the actual danger.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Alien: Isolation (I love Alien and it is seriously the best Alien game, it's proper terrifying).
Aliens vs Predator (Marine campaign is scary as fuck).
Thief: The Dark Project (not a horror game per se but the absolute immersion, dark visuals, the atmosphere of anguish and insane sound design make this a really scary game at times).
Silent Hill (demo scared me shitless as a kid, played the game later and it's still extremely creepy).
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (the labs, especially X-18, are relentlessly scary).
Diablo (yeah, Diablo, the first game is very dark and you are very vulnerable, plus the music and sound effects really enhance the atmosphere)

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Outlast - It introduced a lot of new things to the horror genre, including mutilating the main characters body for the rest of the game.

Mark Richard

Arcane
There are a few games that provoked a moment of fear (the haunted house in Vampire: Bloodlines, the Cradle in Thief 3, bits of F.E.A.R), but Dark Souls paralysed me and lowered my performance in the game. Approaching a monster for the first time and having no idea what it's capable of can be nerve-wracking, due in no small part to the malevolent and purposeful creature design. You only have to look at a monster and the doubts about your ability come flooding in. A surprise attack by a new creature can be startling, but in its own way trying to work up the courage to approach one in plain sight on the horizon is almost worse.

Sjukob

Arcane
The only horror game that made me nervous was Cry of Fear .

Friday.13

Educated
For survival horror game, i think it will be Resident Evil 2 or Silent Hill2.
If uncanny valley can be consider as horror too, those humanoid in Dead Island make me sick for a few months.

Dux

Arcane
Playing the old AvP way back in the day - as a marine - was pretty damn nerve-wracking at times.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Games where you can punch the bogeyman in the face just aren't scary.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Aliens vs. Predator (1999) and certain parts of Thief: The Dark Project and Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. AvP probably was the only genuinely unnerving one of these, with its lack of mid-level saving combined with very deadly enemies, while Thief had an atmosphere of being in it well over your head. SoC managed to do scripted survival horror right by not making it feel like you were just riding a ghost train.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks to combination of local folklores and movies like The Ring and stuff traumatizing my childhood, I have a subconcious fear for long haired female ghosts. So, I won't touch F.E.A.R. again even if you pay me for it. I only played a few minutes and decided I can't overcome that... fear. Yeah.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks to combination of local folklores and movies like The Ring and stuff traumatizing my childhood, I have a subconcious fear for long haired female ghosts. So, I won't touch F.E.A.R. again even if you pay me for it. I only played a few minutes and decided I can't overcome that... fear. Yeah.
Similar FEAR (heh), but I got over it to properly roleplay as a John Woo action hero. Worth the trauma, in my opinion.

OTOH, I chickened out of Amnesia half-way through.

Hey, you got farther than me. One hour in, and I hit uninstall.exe so fast. I hate getting scared, so much.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I'm not sure I could name an actual scary game. Atmospheric or tense, maybe. I'm usually too busy trying to fuck with the AI to end up scared; it's fun getting the horrible scary monster to walk back and forth like an imbecile due to a coding oversight. I think the closest to a scary game recently would be Dark Souls, with those times you end up deep in new territory, whilst low on healing and carrying a bunch of souls. There could be a bonfire just around the corner, or you could die in the next encounter and lose it all.

Edit: Oh yeah, there was that HL2 mod with a creepy mannequin segment. That was pretty well done, if a tad cliché.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Am I the only one that finds the OP fishy?

It sounds like the opening lines of a YouTube video that counts down "Top 10 Something Somethings of all Time", cobbled together by morons that can't remember history before 2006.

Not to mention that the OP is a newfag that's not even 3 weeks old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom