Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What are you working on?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Yo

Loved Grimoire and you showed us 2-3 more games I think

So which ones are you working on? Or are you working on Grimoire 4.0?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I shelved the others (every intention of finishing them) and am going full bore on Untitled Lovecraft Crawler. Very similar presentation to Wiz 6-7 and Elminage Gothic.

With the help of some AI Artwork, starting to look pretty good. Have wanted to do this game for thirty years figured it is time I did it.

Sample NPC Encounter portraits ...

02-administrator.png
06-businessman.png
14-disciple.png
15-drunkard.png
20-financier.png
23-gateway.png

P.S. Instead of hiring Frank Frazetta at $300 an hour and working with him for a year describing these portraits and their styles, I just learned how to correctly express the description with Wombo. Unbelievable.

P.P.S. You may have noticed already, but at one point I began to add "magical realism" and "Berni Wrightson style" and sure enough, that little savant art program figured out exactly what I wanted. Every image tagged with "Lovecraftian setting"

P.P.P.S. If you want to imagine how scary these Terminators are going to be, the last image had "Miskatonic Professor returns from an alternate dimension" and that's what it drew. Imagine something with that kind of intuition hunting you down able to detect odors like a hound dog.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I shelved the others (every intention of finishing them) and am going full bore on Untitled Lovecraft Crawler. Very similar presentation to Wiz 6-7 and Elminage Gothic.

With the help of some AI Artwork, starting to look pretty good. Have wanted to do this game for thirty years figured it is time I did it.

View attachment 30619View attachment 30620View attachment 30621View attachment 30622View attachment 30623View attachment 30624

P.S. Instead of hiring Frank Frazetta at $300 an hour and working with him for a year describing these portraits and their styles, I just learned how to correctly express the description with Wombo. Unbelievable.

P.P.S. You may have noticed already, but at one point I began to add "magical realism" and "Berni Wrightson style" and sure enough, that little savant art program figured out exactly what I wanted. Every image tagged with "Lovecraftian setting"

P.P.P.S. If you want to imagine how scary these Terminators are going to be, the last image had "Miskatonic Professor returns from an alternate dimension" and that's what it drew. Imagine something with that kind of intuition hunting you down able to detect odors like a hound dog.

These portraits look great

Its crazy that AI can do this. Especially maintain artistic cohesion between different portraits

Anyway when can you show us more?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

View attachment 30619View attachment 30620View attachment 30621View attachment 30622View attachment 30623View attachment 30624

Its crazy that AI can do this. Especially maintain artistic cohesion between different portraits

Working on it every day, getting the faux 3D sufficiently retro looking. Hope to have screenshots soon and get the Grimoire home page up and running again to promote the game. To be honest, still not entirely happy with the 3D look, been faffing a while with rimlights and fake fresnel maps to make it look like a graphic comic book. Almost got it right but still needs work.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

How do you maintain consistency between images actually, Cleveland Mark Blakemore ? Did you do some model training by yourself?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

How do you maintain consistency between images actually, Cleveland Mark Blakemore ? Did you do some model training by yourself?
I trained the model until it was getting the same style every time using the same keywords and tweaking it towards or away from what it was generating. When I saw it had done a dozen images the correct way, I made that the foundation style and then started adding modifiers like "Banker who is invested in evil" and "Gruff Old Sailor who has seen things he cannot believe" etc. and incredibly it was guessing better than most artists I have worked with what I was expecting. Again, a beautiful and amazing development for indie game authors but less wonderful if you're a political dissident in that Black Mirror episode METALHEAD and that little dog bot is running software like this. I was thinking of that scene in the original Terminator where it goes to Linda Hamilton's home, kills her mom and starts answering the phone in her mom's voice just hoping she'll call. Is going to run circles around people with this kind of intuition. My Neanderthal tingles pale in contrast to the AI that is coming. It's going to be guessing correctly what you'll be doing tomorrow and where to find you.

I am shocked because last time I experimented with this technology it was drawing images that looked like they were drawn by somebody crazy or retarded. Then in less than a year boom it was now a complete substitute for a graphic artist. I am still amazed that this is even possible.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's going to be guessing correctly what you'll be doing tomorrow and where to find you.
Social psychologists were quite good at this 30-40 years ago already, but I'm sure it could improved a lot by gathering a lot more data points and feeding them to modern algorithms. Of course, they could not guess what you're going to do tomorrow, but looking at a person's background, current circumstances and a lot of other variables they could predict pretty well where that person will be in 5, 10, 15, etc. years (their financial outlook, where they'll probably live, how many kids they'll have, etc.)

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I trained the model until it was getting the same style every time using the same keywords and tweaking it towards or away from what it was generating. When I saw it had done a dozen images the correct way, I made that the foundation style and then started adding modifiers like "Banker who is invested in evil" and "Gruff Old Sailor who has seen things he cannot believe" etc. and incredibly it was guessing better than most artists I have worked with what I was expecting. Again, a beautiful and amazing development for indie game authors but less wonderful if you're a political dissident in that Black Mirror episode METALHEAD and that little dog bot is running software like this. I was thinking of that scene in the original Terminator where it goes to Linda Hamilton's home, kills her mom and starts answering the phone in her mom's voice just hoping she'll call. Is going to run circles around people with this kind of intuition. My Neanderthal tingles pale in constrast to the AI that is coming. It's going to be guessing correctly what you'll be doing tomorrow and where to find you.

I am shocked because last time I experimented with this technology it was drawing images that looked like they were drawn by somebody crazy or retarded. Then in less than a year boom it was now a complete substitute for a graphic artist. I am still amazed that this is even possible.
Grandfathers will dote on their grandchildren. Don't be surprised if the Almighty does likewise. Organic life still has some tricks up our sleeves. We're going to need them.

Mortmal

Arcane

I trained the model until it was getting the same style every time using the same keywords and tweaking it towards or away from what it was generating. When I saw it had done a dozen images the correct way, I made that the foundation style and then started adding modifiers like "Banker who is invested in evil" and "Gruff Old Sailor who has seen things he cannot believe" etc. and incredibly it was guessing better than most artists I have worked with what I was expecting. Again, a beautiful and amazing development for indie game authors but less wonderful if you're a political dissident in that Black Mirror episode METALHEAD and that little dog bot is running software like this. I was thinking of that scene in the original Terminator where it goes to Linda Hamilton's home, kills her mom and starts answering the phone in her mom's voice just hoping she'll call. Is going to run circles around people with this kind of intuition. My Neanderthal tingles pale in constrast to the AI that is coming. It's going to be guessing correctly what you'll be doing tomorrow and where to find you.

If you are into lovecraftian setting use midjourney its more advanced than anything else so far in my opinion, does that and post apoc really good. At 30$ a month its also completely affordable for an indie developper, just have to photoshop a few bits to correct some imperfections.
One exemple with V4 midjourney :
P3eY1PM.png

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Cleveland Mark Blakemore How many images did you have to use to train the AI to make something decent? I've been screwing around with the NovelAI leak on my computer and it pretty much just makes trash. I've been using models trained using images in the 5 and 6 digit numbers and I suspect everything it makes is shit because of the high variety of images the models have been fed, but I don't know if I want to try to download and tag thousands of images that have a similar art style to make my own model.

Telling it to make Sailor Moon came out with this for an example of the kind of results I'm getting
signal-2022-12-16-171421_002.jpeg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Really good story driven blobber, kind of a cross between Visual Novel, Blobber and Elminage Gothic. This is how I would like the Lovecraft blobber to turn out.

https://dungeoncrawlers.org/game/operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy/

Thats good news. Got about 70ish hours out of it. How many hours are you going for?

I think 40 hours of very purposeful narrative should do it. We are guided by our contact at Miskatonic the same way we are guided by the lab in Operation Abyss. Savegames should be something you can purchase just like in that game as well - calls to Miskatonic you put through on an antique candle phone.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
i asked the ChatGPT AI the following:

Describe the setting for a computer roleplaying game set in a world firmly set in Lovecraftian lore using Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar as inspiration. Edit: added : in the way Lovecraft used to write

answer:

Sure, here is a possible setting for a computer roleplaying game inspired by Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar and Lovecraftian lore:

In the dark and twisted world of Arkham, the players take on the role of a group of investigators delving into the mysteries of the ancient city. The city is filled with ancient and forbidden knowledge, and the players must navigate its shadowy streets and crumbling buildings, facing danger at every turn.

As they investigate, the players will uncover the secrets of the city and its dark history, learning of ancient deities and eldritch monsters that dwell beyond the veil of reality. They will also encounter a variety of characters, including mad cultists, deranged academics, and sinister government agents, all of whom have their own agendas and secrets.

Throughout the game, the players will have to balance their sanity against the horrors they encounter, as they struggle to keep their minds intact in the face of the eldritch forces that threaten to consume them. They will also have the opportunity to customize their characters and choose their own path, deciding which skills and abilities to develop and which allies to trust.

The setting for this game would be a Lovecraftian-inspired world filled with ancient and forbidden knowledge, madness, and eldritch horrors. The game would feature turn-based combat and a range of spells and abilities for the players to use. It would also have a deep and complex story, with a variety of quests and side missions to explore.

this game should probably be made

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom