Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Albion, Lands of Lore, Albion, Lands of Lore, Albion, Lands of Lore (where am I, oh!), Lands of Lore, Albion, Albion, Albion

Gostak

Educated
[...]
One short of ten as of now. :O[...]
Okay, who am I kidding?
The other one I have to add to my list is:
UnReal World

Despite some of its shortcomings and negative points I just love it.
Some might have picked Cataclysm: DDA or Slaves to Armok II Adventure Mode instead of this
but at this point for me it has to be UrW.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Albion, Lands of Lore, Albion, Lands of Lore, Albion, Lands of Lore (where am I, oh!), Lands of Lore, Albion, Albion, Albion
Is lands of lore good? The graphics are really nice but I almost never hear anybody talk about it unlike M&M or Wiz or any other dungeon crawler.

Eisen

Learned
Is lands of lore good? The graphics are really nice but I almost never hear anybody talk about it unlike M&M or Wiz or any other dungeon crawler.
It's a watered-down Eye Of the Beholder, which is a watered-down Dungeon Master. However, graphics, music and the voice acting has a charm.
If you like RT Blobbers, try it

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
It's a lovely fairy-tale with a decent RPG approach. I happen to have re-runned EoB I+II for about 10 times. On those grounds, I dare to dismiss the notion of LoL being a watered-down EoB. The riddles are on par, the combat system is the same (same company), with some added hidden mechanics. The game's lenght is similar, the graphic design is arguably beautiful, and there is at least some story. The latter is hardly the case with either of the EoBs :D

Last edited:

Profane

Novice
1. Fallout 2
2. Gothic 2
3. Fallout New Vegas
4. UnderRail
5. Arcanum
6. Dark Souls
7. Pathologic 2
8. STALKER SOC
9. Metal Gear Solid 2
10. The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I just saw Forbidden Planet again so the Robbie Robot in FO3 sounds appealing again. If only i had an army of them. I don't recall if the FO3 version could lift 10 tons of lead with one arm though like it was nothing.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I don't think there is 10 good RPGs. Should have been like top 5.

1. Fallout 1 (Fallout 2 had too much BS mixed in)
2. Arcanum
3. Planescape: Torment
4. After this I don't know. You could say Vampire Bloodlines but that game was deeply flawed and only had atmosphere
5. Mask of the Betrayer. Made NWN2 not shit anymore

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
1. Fallout(and Fallout 2)
2. Arcanum
3. Baldur's Gate(and Baldur's Gate 2,despite some issues)
4. Temple of Elemental Evil
5. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
6. Daggerfall
7. Dark Sun:Shattered Lands
8. Deus Ex,but does it count as a proper RPG or a melange of different genres?
9. Icewind Dale(including its sequel Icewind Dale 2)
10. System Shock 2

M. AQVILA

Arcane
In no particular order, as they come to mind:

Tale of Wuxia
Baldur's Gate 2
Dragon Age Origins
TES Morrowind
TES Oblivion
TES Skyrim
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Neverwinter Nights 2
Planescape Torment
SW Knights of the Old Republic

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Why are so many people mentioning Dark Souls? I really like the series, but I'd never categorize those as RPG games, it's as much RPG as Far Cry 3 or Metal Gear Solid V. Is it a meme?

As for me, I would have hard time making such list, but in a short attempt:

1. Gothic 2 (with the Addon)
2. Fallout: NV
3. Gothic
4. Witcher 3
5. Enderal
6. Kotor 1
7. Witcher 1
8. TES: Morrowind
9. Kotor 2
10. Dragon Age: Origins

Laz Sundays

Educated
First I need to trigger everyone and their brother by saying that I like Lilura. Hope you're still alive and well.

1.Gothic 2
2.Deus Ex
3.Fallout 2
4.Icewind Dale 2
5.ToEE
6.Arcanum
7.Vampire: the Masquerade
8.Lionheart:LotC
9.NwN
10.Fallout NV

1 to 3 being the only truly wholesome cRPGs I've played.
4 and 5 for the best D&D cRRGs.
6 to 8 for trying something new.
9 and 10 exist. Played them and had fun at the time. Watered down versions that suck, a modern take that ultimately failed to do anything better. The best I could say would be - they were baby steps into the future.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
knights of the chalice (i wish this game had more than 3 challenging fights)

Would you be so kind to name them?

Also, would there be more challenging fights if you didn't exploit/farm random encounters and crafting wands?
Because if you don't, the whole blockade is full of challenging fights, so is the first city, the chalice's tower, the extra post game fight, the ambush after the blockade, Maphistor, etc.

Humbaba

Arcane
1. PST
2. Wrathfinder
3. BG 2
4. New Vegas
5. Grimrock 2
6. Wizardry 8
7. Dragonfall
8. BG 1
9. Fallout 1
10. Fallout 2

JA2 would be number 2 if I considered it an RPG, which I don't, JA2 very clearly is a strategy game with heavy rpg elements.

Testicules

Educated
In no particular order:

1. World of Xeen
2. Might and Magic VII
3. Gothic
4. Gothic II: NotR
5. Archolos
6. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines
7. Deus Ex
8. Legend of Grimrock II
9. Fallout
10. Diablo

I don't think the inclusion of Archolos is recency bias either; it really is that good.

barricade

Educated
knights of the chalice (i wish this game had more than 3 challenging fights)

Would you be so kind to name them?

Also, would there be more challenging fights if you didn't exploit/farm random encounters and crafting wands?
Because if you don't, the whole blockade is full of challenging fights, so is the first city, the chalice's tower, the extra post game fight, the ambush after the blockade, Maphistor, etc.

so i'm retarded and now you wanna talk to me? lol

anyway, about those challenging fights: the first one was that fight vs the spider queen during the first quest. i remember rushing into that cave at the very begining, with shit gear etc it was a nightmare, didn't expect it at all. second challenging fight was the orc raid at the very begining.
after those 2 fights the WHOLE game was disappointing. what disappointed me the most was those weak wizards and dragons. what's the point of dragons in this game since they're as weak as gnolls??

ok, there were some kinda "hard" fights here and there but i wouldn't go so far as to call them challenging. that last lich near the end was challenging tho, also that last optional battle, and the ambush in corinth maybe. but that's it.

for what it's worth, i only played with the classic party: 2knights/1wizard/1 cleric. found the wizard way too op, so op it wasn't even fun after a few hours, even had to stop using some spells in order to make some battles in little bit more challenging. NEVER EVER used any crafting wands/scrolls. learned that from toee. i also never farmed any XP on that disgusting world map (might be the WORST world map i've ever seen in a video game, being an indie game isn't even an excuse at this point).

didn't exploit anything at all. had to create some challenge myself by avoiding some spells etc, but that game wasn't hard at all. it's not my fault if you struggled with it.

__scribbles__

Educated
Why are so many people mentioning Dark Souls? I really like the series, but I'd never categorize those as RPG games, it's as much RPG as Far Cry 3 or Metal Gear Solid V. Is it a meme?
It's one of those games that fit in many categories at the same time, like Jagged Alliance 2 and Deus Ex.

FriendlyMerchant

Here's my list:
1. KotC2: Hearkenwald module
2. Knights of the Chalice 1
3. Temple of Elemental Evil
4. Fallout 1
5. Arcanum
6. Fallout 2
7. Wizardry 1
8. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
9. Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
10. TES2: Daggerfall

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here's my list:
1. KotC2: Hearkenwald module
2. Knights of the Chalice 1
3. Temple of Elemental Evil
4. Fallout 1
5. Arcanum
6. Fallout 2
7. Wizardry 1
8. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
9. Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
10. TES2: Daggerfall
Alright since you posted yours I'll post mine too:
1) Dungeon Rats
2) Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury Of Chaos
3) Ravenloft: Stone Prophet
4) Age of Decadence
5) Shadowrun: Dragonfall
6) Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
7) Colony Ship: A Post Earth Role Playing Game
8) The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos
9) Pillars of Eternity 1
10) Icewind Dale 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom