Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
9) Dark Hearts of Uurkul

Steve_Urkel.jpg

?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've noticed on the first page a tilt to tactical combat RPGs. I guess there's nothing wrong with that and I'm wondering if I should gauge my list on:

Combat Style
Inventory Management
Story and interactions
Open world vs railroading my choices
Interface usability
Sound & Music
Graphics & charm
Party Management vs Solo
ENJOYMENT

This is a wide spread and I'd hate for nostalgia to cloud my judgement. Hell some people consider action rpgs as little more than button/mouse testers than true rpgs.

How much of role-playing is in the RPG? I mean, it seems a lot of games come down to an arms race of power grinding and only kill the big bad foozle or trigger end game sequence.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
:hmmm:
Now that is a surprise,didn't expect Lilura to have played whole 10 games,i am impressed.

Just because I've posted 100 write-ups on a three RPGs, doesn't mean I haven't played thirty. Also, I don't just play RPGs. I play shoot 'em ups, grand strategy and Breakout clones, too! Right now, though, I'm playing X-COM.

1.Drakensang:River of time

lol

Darth Canoli

Arcane
  1. Wizardry 8 (wizfast + fastanim)
  2. Fallout 1 & 2 (with Sfall or Fixit)
  3. Temple of Elemental Evil (with Temple+)
  4. Isles of Terra
  5. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
  6. Arcanum (UAP 2.0.2)
  7. Mandate of Heaven (Latest Greyface patch)
  8. Planescape: Torment
  9. Knights of the Chalice
  10. Prelude to Darkness
Special mention :
KotC 2, ATOM RPG, Wizardry 6 & 7, Might & Magic series up to 8, KotOR, Drakensang: River of Time, Wasteland 2 and Baldur's Gate 1

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I wouldn't play vanilla TOEE ever. I tried and said fuck this abyssmal darkness. Maybe it was too evil. Dunno.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I agree,jap RPGs are disgusting garbage!
They can be fun sometimes, but for the most part, they're not really RPGs because you can't make any real choices in them.
So if you've got some linear weebshit on your list placed above any Troika game (for example) then it is a pretty shitty RPG list.
Sure,but they are all the same really,if had played one you had played them all. There is zero evolution in them. I do play jrpg shit from time to time,but i have never managed to finish them, They are identical,the same grind,the same boring press x dialogue,the same linear levels,the same retarded enemy design,etc etc.

Yeah, this kind of sweeping generalizations are always sign of knowledge and deep thought! I mean, everyone knows that "Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions" == "Dragon's Dogma".
I honestly have no idea which pile of shit you are assuming that it is a good game. Go quarantine yourself in the weeb jrpg forum lol.

Just because I've posted 100 write-ups on a three RPGs, doesn't mean I haven't played thirty. Also, I don't just play RPGs. I play shoot 'em ups, grand strategy and Breakout clones, too! Right now, though, I'm playing X-COM.

1.Drakensang:River of time

lol
Nobody plays only RPGs :). But this is a RPGs list,not a shooter or strategy.

Also you are not an authority on RTwP game till you beat Drakensang on hardest

That's... a very bold choice.
Well i am a bald man :lol:.

Joke aside,didn't put them in actual top ten list,as first meaning the best. There is plenty of good rpg to just make a top 10 list. Oh and Drakensang are top tier games,most posers here haven't even played them. Most retards here are just fallowing the muh AAA studious and don't bother with other RPGs.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Joke aside,didn't put them in actual top ten list,as first meaning the best. There is plenty of good rpg to just make a top 10 list. Oh and Drakensang are top tier games,most posers here haven't even played them. Most retards here are just fallowing the muh AAA studious and don't bother with other RPGs.
I loved The Dark Eye and I immediately bought River of Time as soon as it came out, but I never bothered to play it. I might give it a chance in your honor.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
* Some pre-1995 RPGs are fine but loading the list up with old Wizardry and Ultima screams super-thick poindexter nostalgia goggles, and possible dementia. Same goes for blobbers other than a select few.
  • Dungeon Master (1987)
  • Chaos Strikes Back (1989)
  • Captive (1990)
  • Eye of the Beholder (1991)
  • Black Crypt (1992)
  • Hired Guns (1993)
  • Lands of Lore (1993)
  • Legend of Grimrock (2012)
  • Legend of Grimrock II (2014)
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (2017)
:troll:
:nocountryforshitposters:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe it was my monitor but the game was so dark even on brightest monitor settings. I couldnt see shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Nobody plays only RPGs :). But this is a RPGs list,not a shooter or strategy.

I daresay I've played more RPGs than you. Not as many as Jarl, but more than I should have.

But the point I was making is that my tastes stem from monocled lineage of RPGs, whereas you are pedigreeless; a mutt.

Also you are not an authority on RTwP game till you beat Drakensang on hardest

It's more prestigious to have mastered 7.62 High Calibre. :obviously:

And it's even more prestigious to have mastered ToEE, Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and X-COM. :obviously:

Viata

Arcane
crpgaddict likes Skyrim. His opinion is worthless and the only reason to look at his blog is to see how shit his taste is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom