Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Unpopular RPG Opinions?

Zer0wing

Cipher
Jagged Alliance 2.
Man of Prey. Inshallah!
maxresdefault.jpg

Diggfinger

Arcane
What are your Unopular RPG Opinions? Is X game overrated? Is X series overrated? Does x thing make game bad? You tell me.

Planescape: Torment is overrated. Besides excellent (!!) story the game had dull combat and little to no meaningful character customization possible. Yes I know you can become a thief or a mage of youre ready to lose a fuck-ton of xp.

Deus Ex is way overrated. While it has a cool setting and multiple play-styles, they're each bland on their own> shooting feels unsatisfying, sneaking seems random etc. etc. Oh, and there is wayyy less C&C than nostalgia-turds like to tell themselves (i.e. killing noone in a mission will still prompt generic "too bad you went on a murdering spree" type message in next mission).

Richard Garriot has not made a single worth-while product since ultima 7, that includes IX which we cant blame EA for. All the crap hes released since like Shroud leads me to beleive that he f'd up 9 entirely on his own.

Might & Magic IX is fun and worthwhile. Every MM fan should play it!

Semiurge

Cipher
Having a single immutable storyline is better than having one with branching paths.

Even branching paths are good if it's possible to experience all content in a single playthrough, but with the questlines in a slightly different order. In Witcher 2 I detest how you can't complete both Roche's and Iorveth's (much more entertaining) quests AND rescue Triss, which makes more sense from Geralt's perspective. Sure, time is supposed to be tight but must it really be?

Lilliput McHammersmith

PB games aren't good
Finally someone had the balls to say it. Gothic 2 is probably the most overrated RPG on the Codex.
No that’s Pathfinder Kingmaker. As much as I enjoyed the character-building (which is indeed excellent) the surrounding game is rather dull and filled with trash encounters. The companions are boring, the story is boring, the setting is boring.

Maybe my opinion will change after August 18th, where I’ll give it another shot for the TB mode, but somehow doubt it.

Fishy

Savant
What are your Unopular RPG Opinions? Is X game overrated? Is X series overrated?

It's a bit of a stretch to call the X series RPGs in the first place (but then, if Clicking Simulator Diablo qualifies...), and I'm not sure how one would call it overrated. It has both its fans and its critics, and Rebirth was almost universally shat upon until late patches sort of salvaged something from it. It's a neat middle ground between the lone pilot space trading and the tycoon management, which deserves its praise, yet deserves the shit it gets for the shoddy buggy state in which each new iteration launches.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
No that’s Pathfinder Kingmaker
Nah, Pathdfinder Kingmaker is a modern classic that doesn't hold your hand for anything.
I've said it previously, it's better than BG2 that it seeks to emulate, and more difficult as well, assuming no meta knowledge.

Lilliput McHammersmith

No that’s Pathfinder Kingmaker
Nah, Pathdfinder Kingmaker is a modern classic that doesn't hold your hand for anything.
I've said it previously, it's better than BG2 that it seeks to emulate, and more difficult as well, assuming no meta knowledge.
Except that BG2 is far more compelling, with a much better hook and early game, with far superior companions. Look, they’re nothing special, but they’re at least not boring. Viconia, Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, etc. and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Kingmaker has one companion that I actually enjoyed, and she is the DLC companion tiefling twin thing. I have heard that Nok-Nok is great, but the rest of the game was so boring that I couldn’t be arsed to get far enough to get him.

Like I said, the character building is fantastic, but it wasn’t enough to keep playing the game. I spent quite a few hours playing the rogue like DLC, but the combat encounters were, again, boring.

Maybe when I try it again I’ll team up with the evil gnome just to get rid of Linzi

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Except that BG2 is far more compelling, with a much better hook and early game, with far superior companions. Look, they’re nothing special, but they’re at least not boring. Viconia, Aerie, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, etc. and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Kingmaker has one companion that I actually enjoyed, and she is the DLC companion tiefling twin thing. I have heard that Nok-Nok is great, but the rest of the game was so boring that I couldn’t be arsed to get far enough to get him.
I mean sure, BG2 does have better writing in general, but the companions AREN'T better. Most of them are just annoying as fuck, and not in a good way. Yoshimo and Jan are alright, but the rest of them suck dicks. Yes, including Minsc. I'll take bland and boring over annoying any day of the week.
Like I said, the character building is fantastic, but it wasn’t enough to keep playing the game. I spent quite a few hours playing the rogue like DLC, but the combat encounters were, again, boring.
There's one thing Pathfinder does exceptionally well, and it does so to a level that's unprecedented in other RPGs, and that is the character building. The combat encounters are fairly difficult even by CRPG standards, especially on your first blind run through the game. Half the fun is figuring out the solution to the puzzle.

Not liking the combat in PFKM, it'd be akin to saying PS:T sucks cause I didn't like the story. Of course you're not gonna like a game if you don't like its focus.

And I should also note that I view the quality of combat, largely, as directly tied into character building options.
If the character building sucks, the combat sucks as well.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kotc1 is barebones
Age of Decadence is bad
Morrowind is bad
Fallout 1 is boring
Trails in the Sky is boring

Oblivion is good
Torment: Tides of Numenera is good
Edit: JRPGs are good

That should be every single (on the codex) unpopular rpg opinion I hold.
I am replaying Fallout 1 atm since I am running out of stuff to do, so that might move up. Maybe KOTC1 somewhere in the far future aswell, when I finish KOTC2 and move back. As for Trails, I do plan on playing at least cold steel some day. Rest is set in stone.

Last edited:

Lilliput McHammersmith

I mean sure, BG2 does have better writing in general, but the companions AREN'T better. Most of them are just annoying as fuck, and not in a good way. Yoshimo and Jan are alright, but the rest of them suck dicks. Yes, including Minsc.
There's one thing Pathfinder does exceptionally well, and it does so to a level that's unprecedented in other RPGs, and that is the character building. The combat encounters are fairly difficult even by CRPG standards, especially on your first blind run through the game. Half the fun is figuring out the solution to the puzzle.

Not liking the combat in PFKM, it'd be akin to saying PS:T sucks cause I didn't like the story. Of course you're not gonna like a game if you don't like its focus.

And I should also note that I view the quality of combat, largely, as directly tied into character building options.
If the character building sucks, the combat sucks as well.
Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree there because I love a lot of the BG2 companions. They’re not the greatest of all time, but there were very few that I actually found annoying, unlike Kingmaker. I even like Anomen more than most of Kingmaker’s companions.

But I did say that I love the character building, it’s just a shame that the combat encounters don’t do much with it. Not that I’m surprised, because combat encounters in many many RPGs are lackluster (especially compared to tactical games), but other elements can make up for lackluster combat encounters. Typically these are lore, setting, story, characters, etc. Unfortunately, none of those are Kingmaker’s strength. And if all I wanted was a 3.5 simulator, I would play TOEE. Ultimately, the game, as a package, was boring to me. Like I said, I’m giving it another shot, based purely on the strength of its character building alone. (Too bad the divine casters suck in Kingmaker, yet another area that BG2 vastly outclasses Kingmaker. Cleric and Druid are amazeballs in BG2, and very sucky in Kingmaker, IMO.)

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree there because I love a lot of the BG2 companions. They’re not the greatest of all time, but there were very few that I actually found annoying, unlike Kingmaker. I even like Anomen more than most of Kingmaker’s companions.

But I did say that I love the character building, it’s just a shame that the combat encounters don’t do much with it. Not that I’m surprised, because combat encounters in many many RPGs are lackluster (especially compared to tactical games), but other elements can make up for lackluster combat encounters. Typically these are lore, setting, story, characters, etc. Unfortunately, none of those are Kingmaker’s strength. And if all I wanted was a 3.5 simulator, I would play TOEE. Ultimately, the game, as a package, was boring to me. Like I said, I’m giving it another shot, based purely on the strength of its character building alone. (Too bad the divine casters suck in Kingmaker, yet another area that BG2 vastly outclasses Kingmaker. Cleric and Druid are amazeballs in BG2, and very sucky in Kingmaker, IMO.)
Well I do want 3.5 simulators and the more the better. Ultimately I think it's a pretty simple matter, either you enjoy the character building and combat, and if not Pathfinder doesn't really have much to offer beyond it, and that's fair enough I guess. I fucking absolutely adore it though.
And to be fair, divine casters suck everywhere when compared to BG2. They're alright in PF:KM.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Well I do want 3.5 simulators and the more the better. Ultimately I think it's a pretty simple matter, either you enjoy the character building and combat, and if not Pathfinder doesn't really have much to offer beyond it, and that's fair enough I guess. I fucking absolutely adore it though.
And to be fair, divine casters suck everywhere when compared to BG2. They're alright in PF:KM.
Well but I enjoy the character building of Pathfinder, and I don’t enjoy its combat. Because the encounters are not that well designed, in my opinion. I didn’t see the whole game, it’s possible that I am mistaken, but from what I saw, it was mediocre at best, aside from the character building itself. Some memorable encounters from BG1/2 include the Beholder with the Sahuagins, the Beholder under Athkatla, the Silver Dragon in the Underdark, the Shadows that are destroyed by the light pillar outside that one temple, pretty much every Vampire encounter, when you come across the hordes of the undead next to Sarevok’s lair, etc etc. Some of those are even near the beginning of the game (and I didn’t even mention the myriad of Lich encounters, which are also pretty cool)

Zlaja

Arcane
Guys, there's a thread called "Trigger the codex with a statement". That's where you can go when you feel like saying stupid shit. Or at least, more stupid then usual.

Nas92

Augur
I have a few that are considered unpopular on the dex:

The Witcher franchise is shitty, books and games alike, and that includes the first game.
Fallout 2 is when the decline of the Fallout franchise actually began.
I just don't see the appeal of Age of Decadence. The whole CYOA design is off-putting to me and the dialogue often comes across as cringy.
Pillars of Eternity is a good game. It has its flaws, but it's been probably the only RPG of recent years that I actually found interesting and enjoyed.
Kingdom Come Deliverance is probably a good game, and I support the devs and all, but the writing is off-putting to me. It's as if it was written as some kind of educational aid, it's full of stupid "As you know..." lines. Also, not sure if unpopular, but Vávra was a cuck for not going immediately for a game centered on the Hussite Wars.
I love Jagged Alliance 2, it's a great game, but it's not an RPG.

That's about it.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Because the encounters are not that well designed, in my opinion
They might not be well designed, but they're certainly memorable after you get your ass handed to you if you're not prepared for them, which I guess some people might regard as bad design as well. I will concede that there is a lot of trash, but the difficult fights are good imo.
Bad design for me is giving arcane casters so many tools to play with that the difficulty of the game is essentially rendered inconsequential so long as you can rest, and since you're pretty much never penilized for resting...
Up against wizards? Cast breach and laugh.
I also don't like that BG2 starts you off at lvl 8. You roll a mage and you've got fireball right off the bat.
Every game has its flaws, I wouldn't say PFKM is any more flawed than BG2.
Oh no. I hope Lilura doesn't see this.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Because the encounters are not that well designed, in my opinion
They might not be well designed, but they're certainly memorable after you get your ass handed to you if you're not prepared for them, which I guess some people might regard as bad design as well. I will concede that there is a lot of trash, but the difficult fights are good imo.
Bad design for me is giving arcane casters so many tools to play with that the difficulty of the game is essentially rendered inconsequential so long as you can rest, and since you're pretty much never penilized for resting...
Up against wizards? Cast breach and laugh.
I also don't like that BG2 starts you off at lvl 8. You roll a mage and you've got fireball right off the bat.
Every game has its flaws, I wouldn't say PFKM is any more flawed than BG2.
Oh no. I hope Lilura doesn't see this.

I am not at all saying that the combat encounters are poorly designed because they are difficult. I agree with you there, difficulty is a good thing. They're just boring. Plain. Lacking in substance. Who wants to fight Bandit Group #5 for the 16th time? Is this Skyrim?

Honestly the only encounters I even remember from PFKM are the bear thing at the temple with Tristian and the Stag Lord showdown. Both were pretty meh, in my opinion.

At least BG2 had a wide variety of encounters you could come across.

Lurker47

Savant
I didn't like LISA: The Painful. I thought RPG Codex would mostly agree with me but I was wrong.

overly excitable young man

Kotc1 is barebones
Age of Decadence is bad
Morrowind is bad
Fallout 1 is boring
Trails in the Sky is boring

Oblivion is good
Torment: Tides of Numenera is good
Edit: JRPGs are good

That should be every single (on the codex) unpopular rpg opinion I hold.
I am replaying Fallout 1 atm since I am running out of stuff to do, so that might move up. Maybe KOTC1 somewhere in the far future aswell, when I finish KOTC2 and move back. As for Trails, I do plan on playing at least cold steel some day. Rest is set in stone.
I AM SO TRIGGERD RIGT NOW!!!!
I WILL DROWN YOUR HAMSTER IN MY TOILETT!!!

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The best story ever told in a mainstream videogame, including all RPGs in the Codex 101 list, amounts to little more than a light novel aimed at teens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom