Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Unpopular RPG Opinions?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
You mean like all those copy-pasted interiors in BG and encounter maps in DA:O? You can find copy-pasted (or randomly generated) environments in a lot of games and nobody complains about it, yet somehow in DA2 it's a crime.
Come on man, you can't compare those. DA:O, BG1&2, Pathfinder, etc. all have recycled maps, but DA2 is so much more egregious than any of these. DA2 didn't even bother to change the HUD minimap for the maps it recycled. I remember searching for "secret" doors that simply didn't exist because of that - which was sometimes true and sometimes not, since the minimaps were exactly the same everytime, too.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
DA2 didn't even bother to change the HUD minimap for the maps it recycled. I remember searching for "secret" doors that simply didn't exist because of that.
Fair enough. I'm sorry for not being as insulted by buggy minimaps as a lot of other people apparently were.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
DA2 didn't even bother to change the HUD minimap for the maps it recycled. I remember searching for "secret" doors that simply didn't exist because of that.
Fair enough. I'm sorry for not being as insulted by buggy minimaps as a lot of other people apparently were.
No need to apologize, it's just that it represents a degree of laziness* over and above that of the other examples you gave.
Yes, I understand this was at least partly due to the compressed development schedule.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
it's just that it represents a degree of laziness* over and above that of the other examples you gave.[/spoiler]
It's just nearly every game I've ever played had some cut corners somewhere in it, and if I were to choose the corners that must never be cut, having correct minimaps would be pretty low on my personal list of priorities.

Going back to DA2 as a whole: the game certainly had flaws (including serious ones like the obviously rushed Act 3), but those flaws were less disastrous than the haters tried to paint them. There are much worse games that are less criticized and more readily accepted.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
it's just that it represents a degree of laziness* over and above that of the other examples you gave.[/spoiler]
It's just nearly every game I've ever played had some cut corners somewhere in it, and if I were to choose the corners that must never be cut, having correct minimaps would be pretty low on my personal list of priorities.

Going back to DA2 as a whole: the game certainly had flaws (including serious ones like the obviously rushed Act 3), but those flaws were less disastrous than the haters tried to paint them. There are much worse games that are less criticized and more readily accepted.
Sure, to be honest my main problem with DA2 was that the endgame was essentially the same regardless of which side you chose.
But I think it was strictly inferior to DA:O, and a different-kind-of-just-as-bad as DA:I. The lack of map variety (not just minimaps) was part of that.
It was just really disappointing after DA:O was a pretty good game with some clear (and fixable) flaws.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But I think it was strictly inferior to DA:O
Ironically, the combat system in DA:O had much bigger issues. 2H warrior was almost useless (poor survivability, low DPS). Ranged rogue was bad until very late (which in practice meant it was a poor choice because of the usual inverted difficulty curve). The highest sustained DPS for melee rogue was auto-attack (those fancy moves gave you a burst of big numbers but long animations made them inferior in the long run). Mana Clash, Blood Wound and Paralysis Explosion were insanely OP (basically, "I win" buttons).

and a different-kind-of-just-as-bad as DA:I.
DA:I was bad because Barrier and Guard made the combat incredibly tedious. It was a classic war of attrition where nothing really mattered except how much B/G you could generate on your party and strip from your enemies. DA:2 combat was about carefully using crowd control. In DA:I it was about outliving enemies while trading blows which made 1 sword-and-board warrior + 3 mages the ultimate party (in fact, on Nightmare+Trials it was impossible to beat some early encounters with any other setup).

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Romances in RPG's, done well, add a nice layer of depth to the game.

Fucking a space vampire & dying in Mass Effect 2 a particular highlight.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I wouldn't call it depth, but having a romance system forces the dev to give more than two shits about a character. It usually leads to the bangable character having much more dialogue, a more interesting backstory and better personal quests than other cookie cutter characters, as the devs know a lot more people will "interact closely" with this character specifically.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I wouldn't call it depth, but having a romance system forces the dev to give more than two shits about a character. It usually leads to the bangable character having much more dialogue, a more interesting backstory and better personal quests than other cookie cutter characters, as the devs know a lot more people will "interact closely" with this character specifically.
And yet romance is probably the best bellwether for overall decline in RPGs. Nobody with good combat, quests, or exploration in their game has any time for that.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
And yet romance is probably the best bellwether for overall decline in RPGs. Nobody with good combat, quests, or exploration in their game has any time for that.

Radiant/Randomly generated quests would like a word with you.
Also BG2 has romance, and while I would definitly call it worse than BG1 it isnt decline by any means. PF:K is the best kickstarter rpg and it has romance, albeit terrible one.
It's just that Bioware got famous for their Coom content over that Mass Effect alien sex thing, and now a lot of rpgs copy Biowares style, which definitly isn't the homework where you want to write off pages.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Also BG2 has romance, and while I would definitly call it worse than BG1 it isnt decline by any means.
It's decline because you can't romance the talking sword.

Dragon Age: Origins romances are fine and I will fight IRL anyone who says otherwise.

It's pretty much the best example for what I am talking about, Leliana, Morrigan and Zevran are much more interesting than Wynne, Oghren and Sten. Their quests are much more creative and they will talk a lot more with you just in general.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i've tried to get into legend of grimrock and i've had some success... but i'd probably like it a million times more if it was purely turn-based. grid-based dungeon crawlers really aren't meant to be real time

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also BG2 has romance, and while I would definitly call it worse than BG1 it isnt decline by any means.
It's decline because you can't romance the talking sword.

Dragon Age: Origins romances are fine and I will fight IRL anyone who says otherwise.

It's pretty much the best example for what I am talking about, Leliana, Morrigan and Zevran are much more interesting than Wynne, Oghren and Sten. Their quests are much more creative and they will talk a lot more with you just in general.
Don't know about Zevran. I'm gay, but not THAT much.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Don't know about Zevran. I'm gay, but not THAT much.

Didn't fuck him either, but I am pretty sure he is the only character in the game that leaves you when your favour with him is too low. I occasionally swapped him in because I liked his gameplay, and then when
When he betrayed me and got killed
I was genuinly impressed. I didn't think Bio had the balls for that up to that point.

Cat Dude

Savant
Wizardry is great, especially the ones after 5.
I prefer the ones before it, but still love those after it too.

They are much better without anime, though.
Can't be a japanese game if they are not trying to sell the game to japanese people. Still, the anime art is just a thing, a great game is a great game no matter what is the art style being used. If not, AoD would be shit since its 3D model are quite meh.

I dislike anime tropes but Trails series rekindles my excitement to play jrpg again. Can't wait for Trails of Cold Steel 4 English version to get released on PS4.

Cat Dude

Savant
Trails of Cold Steel 3 is actually better than anything suggested by codexers here.

JRPG

Like 10 of this trash is released for 1 actually RPG game.
The same happens to crpg. Go on steam right now and you are going to find thousands of shit crpg released just this year. People think every crpg is great while every jrpg is shit, but both are full of shit and good games.

At least most JRPG on Steam don't seem like they are released in 1986.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trails of Cold Steel 3 is actually better than anything suggested by codexers here.

JRPG

Like 10 of this trash is released for 1 actually RPG game.
The same happens to crpg. Go on steam right now and you are going to find thousands of shit crpg released just this year. People think every crpg is great while every jrpg is shit, but both are full of shit and good games.

At least most JRPG on Steam don't seem like they are released in 1986.

But they do seem like they were made by a 5 year old.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Sex is a part of life and I like when RPGs address it. My problem is when they either get super soap opera dramatic about it, like a lot of Bioware titles, or when they have awkward looking polygon sex scenes.

The Jester

Cipher
Well well well, what do we have here?
I'd rather play Oblivion than PST.
Do you have a moment, buddy? A friend of mine wants to talk to you.

Well, given that PST is just a visual novel, it makes sense that someone would want to play a game over a VN. +M

How the fuck is PST a visual novel? it has dungeons, boss battles, trash mobs, cool shit to loot, classes.
PST ain't DE, And that "This is a VN" is a myth made by those who never played it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So is going to the bathroom.

Seeing those pre-plumbing toilets in Dishonored was pretty cool, yeah. Most fantasy games pretend shitting doesn't exist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom