Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Causes You to Die in Games?

You Notice A Cloaked Figure Wielding A Scythe in Your Peripheral Vision

• Me Not Get Gud

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Only Play Games That Make Me Stronger

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Boredom/Familiarity

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Multi-Tasking Too Much

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Developer Retardation

• Covid-19

• Kingcomrade

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
Going to throw off another bone : Avellone, when he created Torment, did it around one idea - ... creating a game where player death wouldn't just mean a reload.

Because running through the maze for 78th time is sooooo exciting and fun. :roll:

Even the second time is one too many. Fucking self-indulgent hipsters, to the F9 your le 2deep4u postmortem gameplay goes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Acts of God.

One of the most novel ways of dying is getting a heart attack while casting spells in Aleshar: World of Ice.

Metronome

Learned
With fps games, it's getting sick of cautiously traveling each time I die, resulting in me carelessly rushing the enemy just to actually play the game. In roguelikes, it's getting tired of the repetative early-game and just trying to rush through it to get the interesting part.

I die because I don't want to waste time doing the same thing over and over, ironically resulting in me doing the same thing over and over. Patience is a virtue, but it makes for some really dull gameplay.

Latro

Arcane
Carelessness, I'm the type that usually plays their best when things are about to go to shit rather than playing well from the start.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Playing on too hard a difficulty too early. Some games are not meant to be played on hardcore iron man extreme mode without a decent knowledge of the games structure.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What Causes You to Die in Games?

Getting lost & delirious in huge, convoluted areas with more obscure puzzles & hidden switches (that need solving in order to progress) than God has angels. It's... soul crushing. I die from boredom.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mainly it is my kidos and waifu distracting me from play or just checking this new vidya of Mongolian throat singing on Jew-tube while in middle of fight so I guess its familiarity/boredom and Multi-tasking Comrades.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Lack of hand-eye coordination, I can't play anything that isn't turn-based or slow. Don't know why, I'm fairly dexterous IRL but will die 50 times on the first screen of super mario.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I usually die in video games because I do something but instead I should have done something else.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Quicksaving right as the killing bullet reaches my head. I love desperately trying to avoid it.

Another thing regenerating health has ruined.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom