Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you do with your old save games? Do you delete them? Hoard them? Save games what?

v1rus

Arcane
Ive been hoarding my saves for a shitton of time. I like opening a game i played 10 years ago, and trying to figure out wth was going through my head back then. You also get regular blasts from the past and such. I also keep save games before beloved scenes (Attack on Kaer Moren, end of Arcanum, half the bloody Kotor 2), so i can replay those things on a whim.

Whats your take on this?

Also, fellow hoarders - how do you manage your saves?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Usually during an uninstall I click YES when it asks if I REALLY want to delete saves. Every once in a while you might get a game that offers a PLUS game save with bonuses for a restart, but it's rare. For myself, uninstalls aren't done very often, and when I one do it's purposeful. I can only think of a handful of games that get repeat installs (usually smaller sized strategy and wargames). I'm kinda OCD anyway, so leaving extra bits of data around bugs me. In fact, I think there's some recent debris still in my user folder right now that needs some spring cleaning.

v1rus

Arcane
Usually during an uninstall I click YES when it asks if I REALLY want to delete saves. Every once in a while you might get a game that offers a PLUS game save with bonuses for a restart, but it's rare. For myself, uninstalls aren't done very often, and when I one do it's purposeful. I can only think of a handful of games that get repeat installs (usually smaller sized strategy and wargames). I'm kinda OCD anyway, so leaving extra bits of data around bugs me. In fact, I think there's some recent debris still in my user folder right now that needs some spring cleaning.

But how do you handle OS reinstall?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Haven't had to do one in quite some time. Not sure what you mean. Are you asking if I do clean installs/total hard drive wipes? If so, the answer is yes. I backup what I want to keep onto disk or flash drive, and then do the fresh OS reinstall.

v1rus

Arcane

Haven't had to do one in quite some time. Not sure what you mean. Are you asking if I do clean installs/total hard drive wipes? If so, the answer is yes. I backup what I want to keep onto disk or flash drive, and then do the fresh OS reinstall.

So do I, but the amount of save games and placing them in their correct location has made reinstalling OS the horror for me.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I usually delete all saves when I feel like I'm finished with a game. It's rare that I replay games, and when I do I usually start from the beginning, so no need for older save games. For lots of older RPGs you could import parties from previous games, but since that's almost never done these days there's no point to it sadly

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Usually delete all unless there's a chance of an upcoming expansion, major DLC or a sequel with save import. I still might end up replaying the game anyway.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I delete saves after finishing a game. Even if I ever do replay a game, which is rare, I'd start over from the beginning anyway.

Exception: I held onto all my winning Wiz 1-3+5 saves.

Falksi

Arcane
I save mine coz I often return to great games, and after I've played through it a second or third time I like to compare how I ended up with the first run.

Maxie

For the longest of time I kept my Legendary Witcher level 50 max inventory and truckload of money TW1 save game when CDPR announced save import, gleefully ignoring the fact that my hoard will inevitably be devalued for the sake of game balance, only to get very distraught with dlc loot being better than my imported Raven Armour, my hoard of money turning into two hundred orens, and TW2 being a bad game

Lambach

Arcane
For the longest of time I kept my Legendary Witcher level 50

How did you manage this, a couple dozen hours of monster grinding? I've recently finished the first Twitcher, done pretty much every side quest, contract, grinded monsters for alchemy drops and still finished at lvl 36.

Maxie

For the longest of time I kept my Legendary Witcher level 50

How did you manage this, a couple dozen hours of monster grinding? I've recently finished the first Twitcher, done pretty much every side quest, contract, grinded monsters for alchemy drops and still finished at lvl 36.
Raven's Tomb in Act V, I must've spent several hours there - a single run gives you about one third of a level and takes up to five minutes, eventually I memorized the layout so well I did not need to use the Cat potion (or to fix my screen brightness) to see anything

Comte

I usually delete them. I do have a save from my failed underrail pistol run. My character is broke and can't afford a personal shield. So he is probably a lost cause. Dude is probably panhandling in Core city waiting for me to come back.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I always delete saves, with one exception.

There was a WWF Smackdown game for the Playstation 2 which allowed for the creation of custom championship belts. If I were to take a Playstation memory card containing such a belt over to a friend's house, and then lose a championship match, that belt would be transferred over to their memory card. It would no longer be mine.

Ever played marbles for keeps? Not me. I was always too afraid to lose a possession, but somehow I was talked me into a four-way hardcore match for my custom belt. There was a special rule - the belt could change hands multiple times in a 20 minute time limit, and whoever held it by the end would be the winner. From the outset my friends formed a temporary alliance and ganged up on me. Hard to blame them, I was a weasly little maggot. My best friend pinned me around the 12 minute mark. At 19 minutes and 49 seconds, I pinned him back. I went home laughing like the villain who narrowly avoiding getting his comeuppance.

The memory card with the custom belt is stored in the attic. My best friend didn't get a rematch, and he never will. :D

Cerulean

Cipher
I delete out of habit, and I'm trying to think of any cases where I wished I had saved them so I could go back for a bit of nostalgia... but I can't think of any. Usually if I want that feeling, I just start the game over from scratch. If I picked it up in the middle I couldn't remember the important things; the key-bindings, what characters are who, what the quests mean, the value of the items in my inventory, etc. It would be like re-reading a book series by jumping right into the middle of book #2, so to speak. Glad it works for you, but it's not for me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hoard saves but when I re-start a game 3 years later I delete them all before starting from the beginning, because I forgot what I had done in those old saves anyway :M

I'm generally a data-hoarder though. The oldest folder on my hard disk is from 2004.

Reality

Learned
I used to hoard saves, but then I started using Factory Resets on my computers instead of just uninstalling things one at at time.

Black Angel

Arcane
Depends. If it's in hundreds of savefiles, I delete them when I finished the playthrough.

Unfortunately I've been unprepared for OS re-installs with how many times my laptop died, but luckily it always occur when I'm not really in the middle of a playthrough.

I'm a bit of a hoarder. I always back up my documents directory before reinstalling the OS. I also still have this huge box of floppies with all the programs and games I had on my 386DX back in the day, and files as old as 1993 in my docs that have been moved from my 386 onto my Pentium II, and then onto my Athlon 64, and then onto my i7. Need the ARJ or pkunzip versions from 1993? Microsoft Works for Windows 3.1? Windows 3.11? MS-DOS 6.20? I still have all that stuff. Megatraveller saves too, I played it from a floppy. Still have U6 and U7 saved games from my first PC on my current computer's HDD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When I finish a game and uninstall, the saves go with it. If I ever replay the game I'll be starting over anyway. Only time I keep save files is if I'm reformatting or something and haven't beaten the game yet, or if the sequel uses them like Witcher 2 and Dragon Age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom