Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you do with your old save games? Do you delete them? Hoard them? Save games what?

Vorark

Erudite
Only keep them if there's a sequel with save import feature or if interested in some sort of New Game+.

So do I, but the amount of save games and placing them in their correct location has made reinstalling OS the horror for me.

The lack of an standard save location is indeed very annoying. On Windows games usually write to Documents, AppData or the game folder itself. If you use Steam, there games which opt to store the saves in \Steeam\user\gameID folder.

For example, Pathfinder Kingmaker saves are written in \AppData\LocalLow. Who the heck even checks this folder? You're better off creating junctions or symbolic links pointing to your data drive so the saves don't end up gobbled by an eventual image restore or OS reinstall.

sullynathan

Arcane
Save all of them in a dropbox folder. There are many games that if I want to replay, I don't want to recollect everything.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Old games (IE titles and blobbers) conditioned me to hoard saves indiscriminately. On an external drive mostly. Nowadays, I do that only if there is a chance for a sequel or some other possible future use. And a lot of stuff syncs with the cloud anyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I can't believe people actually delete their games considering how many RPGs import saves from previous games now.

Even with the rare ones that do that, I'm fine with a default and developer chosen world state. The only one where I really cared was Mass Effect.

mondblut

Arcane
I have a folder with final saves that goes back to mid-90s. You never know when somebody would release a sequel to a 30 years old game that supports party import...

ed: what's wrong with you, people? this was supposed to be "despair" and "fabulously optimistic" harvesting.

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I usually hoard them because of the occasional screenshot I sometimes need to take, and because I like to load older files when I replay an RPG or strategy game years later, but only for a couple of minutes for nostalgia reasons, since I would never play with older characters. I don't even like to transfer characters from previous games, since I find character creation and early-game decision making the most enjoyable parts of most RPGs.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Ive been hoarding my saves for a shitton of time. I like opening a game i played 10 years ago, and trying to figure out wth was going through my head back then. You also get regular blasts from the past and such. I also keep save games before beloved scenes (Attack on Kaer Moren, end of Arcanum, half the bloody Kotor 2), so i can replay those things on a whim.

Whats your take on this?

Also, fellow hoarders - how do you manage your saves?

Yup this is the right way IMO

I still have ToEE/Wizardry/Avernum saves from 10 years ago

HansDampf

Arcane
Never really thought about it until recently. I've begun archiving saves from games I want to keep my scores, records, or creations of, like my solutions in Zachtronics games. It was all stored on an SSD, which is now 6 years old, and you never know... Of course, I keep games installed when I'm expecting DLC or a sequel to import my saves.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I have a folder with final saves that goes back to mid-90s. You never know when somebody would release a sequel to a 30 years old game that supports party import...

ed: what's wrong with you, people? this was supposed to be "despair" and "fabulously optimistic" harvesting.
I have on my hard drive saves from my first playthrough of Daggerfall, which can still be loaded and played, as well as a few other games from the mid-90s. Not to mention the many floppy disks containing saves for Amiga games. +M

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dont hoard anything because most of the time I really dont replay games and when I do, I start over, but it is very useful to hoard, you wanna go back and refresh the memory of a section of the game you played without replaying the whole thing again.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have a lot of savegames but I no longer know where they are. CDs, DVDs, old harddiscs, sticks, etc, all that junk I will probably never open again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom