Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sullynathan

Arcane
yea, extracting guys from camps is already starting to get annoying especially with this save system but MGSV AI is more consistent than when I played it 2 ears ago, maybe there was a patch? There's also a lot of mechanics in this game that would work in a splinter cell game

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALRUGHT BROS STARTES SHADOW OF MORDOR

GOOD ENOUGH FOR WHAT IT OS

PLAYING DEVILS CRUSH TO GREAT GANME TO JUST ZONE OUT WITH

gaussgunner

Arcane
Grim Dawn.
Trudging through another swamp or desert, mowing down hundreds of skeletons and giant bees in a hail of fire and bullets, mostly obscured by worthless yellow and green loot drops......
Then I pass out from boredom and wake up 500 milliseconds later to find a boss gloating over my dead body.
Back to the nearest rift gate. Now what? Try again before the enemies respawn, do some xp/loot farming, or call it a night?

A damn fine ARPG, but like Diablo and its clones and its roguelike progenitors, it's a huge grindfest after the first few hours of gameplay. I wanted to say it's what Divine Divinity should've been, but it doesn't have that charm. It's just solid production quality, nicely done 3D "iso" graphics (fuck the camera rotation though), and no game-breaking quest glitches so far.

DD, VtMB, JA2... I wonder what other flawed gems I've missed. PS:T, I suppose...

Blonsky

Prophet
Moero Chronicle
Its a dungeon crawler with monster girls.
But there is 50 monster girls to capture/convince to join you, and each has 4 different outfits that change their skills and they have unique weaknesses/advantages, and on a highest difficulty it just turns into very hard game if you dont have the right monster girl leveled up and equipped for every specific dungeon.

toroid

Arcane
Tried playing Dishonored, again, for the third time in three years. Each time I play I make it through the sewers and the hub area before deciding that it's actually incredibly boring and mediocre. Finally convinced me to give up on it and uninstall. I could waste time wondering "how can so many people be so wrong about this game" but no, fuck this boring piece of low-risk mainstream console garbage.

Then I thought "since nothing could be as boring as Dishonored this is a great time to try Elite Dangerous again". I was right! Enjoyed Elite for much longer this time. Did enough missions to get an Adder and some upgrades before taking a break to play something else. I'm sure I'll come back to this before too long.

Tried to get back into Dark Souls 3. Couldn't.

Came back to Dying Light after a long break and have nearly finished The Following expansion. Pretty satisfying for a dumb action game.
Decent world design, good combat, plenty of easter eggs, writing and voice acting are surprisingly non-shit. It's fun.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I am playing this thing called RVE a Revamp Extension mod for Supreme Commander 2. I didn't like the base game because it is quite dumbed down compared to the first game, and also the maps were too small, but this revamp mod fixes all of those things and adds lots of great new stuff. I am enjoying it but not sure if I will like it long term.

I also am playing through C&C Generals and Zero Hour single player campaigns. Still waiting to play Battle Brothers. I bought it already but when I tried to play it, it said it wasn't compatible with Avast, and I only just got Avast because my last AV had incompatibilities with ISboxer so I replaced it only recently and don't want to replace it again.

Ivan

Arcane
Halo Combat Evolved SPV3 mod

First time playing Halo. I loved the first half of the game. It's mostly set it in tight spaces where the enemy AI truly shines. I love how many of them roll and sidestep to avoid your projectile attacks, very reminiscent of Unreal. I loved the mayhem you can create with grenades. You can send bodies and weapons fly across the room with a well throw nade. I feel the game suffered in the more open areas, particulalry the ones where the game encourages to use vehicles. They handle poorly and aren't fun to use. Tragically, this is the level design that makes up the second half of the game. There's also a whole lot of map recycling in the second half of the game, the gimmick being that a new enemy type is introduced.

All in all, I loved the first half, and would have wholeheartedly recommended it, however the second half is a HUGE nosedive in quality, particularly level design. It really feels like they got lazy and just hashed it out as quickly as they could. All in all, check it out, but I would clock out after you finish The Silent Cartographer.

:3/5:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Steve Jackson's Sorcery 1-4,interesting CYOA video games based on the original pnp games,I haven't played the originals so I can't comment how good the adaptation is but I had fun with them although some times you have to to a lot of backtracking.

Status Update on...

Ever Oasis (3DS-2017)

-
Story so far (Continued)-

With the exception of one plot twist that did manage to catch me off guard the story continuously proves to be a rather standard affair. Any semblance of a larger narrative hook either at this point remains deceptively elusive or may not even exist, though I still hold out some optimism. This impression is only compounded by how tedious the story became to finally get to said minor plot twist (repeat the same story objective 3 times, with only minor variations).

-Gameplay so far (Continued)-

The "challenge labyrinth's" I expressed curiosity in from my previous post are tied to items I forgot to mention since my lack of knowledge in their significance was prevalent.

Early in the game you can acquire objects known as slabs. Each slab has 3 preset color ranges (bronze, silver and gold) and animal types (beetle,snake, etc.) each signifying the difficulty of enemies you will fight in these dungeons. You choose between 3 of any combination (ex. bronze, silver, silver) and proceed inside the labyrinth. This will set the enemy types by room randomly, except for mini and main bosses which will be whatever highest level slab you chose from. And speaking of random enemies that also go's for most rooms you explore as well. One minute you have to chose between two enemy room types and the next you can be choosing between a trap room or a healing room, which will heal all party members upon using the font stored inside. Deciding which room to travel through will also (in most cases) be permanent as previously explored rooms will lock behind you, forcing a steady and at times challenging form of force progression. Thankfully if you feel as though you need to take a break or are near death you can teleport out of the dungeon by using the "retire" command on the 3DS touch screen. This will function similarly to the Aqua Gate command, however you will lose all your progress and need to reset the dungeon with new slabs in order go back in. This entire setup is rather useful for those who wish to level up Oasis members that have lagged behind in levels (such as shopkeepers) who have not experienced combat in a while.

Speaking of shopkeepers readers of my previous post may have noticed my mentioning of a lack of convenience in acquiring dewadems (currency). Thankfully there is a faster, but imperfect method of speeding this process up that you unlock. A special "post" of sorts (think magical lamppost that absorbs money) can be grown in each section of your Oasis that houses shops (provided you have enough space to place and dewadems to purchase) One quick use of your Oasis leaders special ability (Magic Whirlwind) will absorb all collected dewadems. However this is only a temporary resolution to the issue since these objects can be filled to bursting, meaning if full shops will continue to acquire dewadems individually as per usual adding only more downtime to obtaining money. And unfortunately while you can (as previously mentioned in the first post) auto stock supplies in shops you do not have a similar process for collecting dewadems, which feels like a missed opportunity considering how trivial it can be to collect resources and get rich later on in the game.
And even then this is an imperfect process since sending out explorers to gather resources can net varying amounts of resources per expedition, and merchants with specific items only showing up within the Oasis at different intervals.

Bonus Notes: This game has an in-game universe equivalent of an achievement system. Every time you complete a preset goal (defeat rare enemy, dig 500 holes, level up Oasis by this much, etc.) You have a check added to a checklist. Once you complete 3 of a set of goals for an individual checklist you unlock statues that can be erected at your main entrance to personalize your Oasis ever so slightly further. There is also a similar feature for collecting enough items to create road types as well.
To add to the note of collecting items you are also given the option to "synthesize" (craft) certain items such as weapons, healing items and clothing, once you have gathered the required resources to craft the item of your choosing.

-Overall thoughts so far (Continued)-

With the exceptions of a few upgrades to my Oasis here and there (and story progression to add to that) nothing particularly major has occurred. My Oasis has become rather crowded leading to a lack of space for new shop keep's, leaving me no choice but to send them to work in the garden (those resources won't farm themselves!). I've also run into another potential dungeon that may be tied to the story that is a sort of temple of trials. However as of now my ability to enter has been roadblocked by prerequisites that I lack at this current time.

-Side notes-

While I would have preferred to update on this forum sooner, my focus on studies outside of gaming (and needs for breaks from the game by substituting it with other games) have slowed progress to a point. Fortunately I am of firm belief that my progress has reached past the halfway point and from what it seems.

In the downtime from this game I have played (or completed playing):

Medal of Honor: Airborne
and
Wizards and Warriors (PC RPG from DW Bradley, not to be confused with the NES game series)

Pablosdog

Prophet
Trying to finish Divinity Original sin 2. I'm currently at Arx atm, been infrequently playing it a few times a week. Will probably give Elex a go next.

Might replay a Mind forever voyaging again, as I've been getting interested in text-based adventures.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Finished Elex and thought I'd rest but started playing Geneforge instead, just met the little servants and I'm really interested to see how this develops.

Finished Elex and thought I'd rest but started playing Geneforge instead, just met the little servants and I'm really interested to see how this develops.

Geneforge is something I’ll have to get back around to eventually. It has an interesting world and game mechanics that give it a unique flavor, which more than made up for it’s obviously limited budget.

Since I alluded to the potential completion of one of two games in my previous post I may as well elaborate on the non-CRPG

Medal of Honor: Airborne (Xbox 360 - 2007)

Developed primarily by EA Los Angeles, who were formally developers of the original Medal of Honor games under the title of Dreamworks Interactive, Airborne is a fairly enjoyable if flawed continuation of the series.

-Campaign Story-

Generally standard affair for a WWII shooter, that is unfortunately saddled by some of the most abrupt, irritating, unnecessary and at times unintentionally funny cut scene's I've ever encountered in an FPS. (Side Note:The establishing cut scene's for dropping into battle do not suffer from this.) Most of the time they will merely appear in situations that don't require explanation and at worst they will force you into situations that will take away control. For instance during one cut scene you're squad is entering a small coliseum that has been transformed into a military post. You can enter into this area from a few separate routes at different times before and during a required objective at said location. The only trouble is regardless of whether or not you enter into the area from the logical location for the cut scene to activate you will be teleported into the spot regardless. This puts the player at a cheap unfair advantage for an upcoming ambush in a game that (somewhat) actively promotes non-linear versatile level design and objective tackling, especially for a typical FPS.

Not counting the cut scenes the story, and all chapters within said story, are relatively long for individual levels in this type of FPS but altogether roughly the same length as most short FPS games (5-10 Hrs. Long). Characters with personality are non-existent, and the overall pacing of the story is a by the books mission-to-mission affair.

-Gameplay-

Single Player
Mostly the same as a majority of WWII shooters, with the inclusion of a few fun (if limited) ideas to level design thrown into the mix. For one you can start any mission with whatever loadout of preset and discovered weapons on the battlefield, giving added versatility. You can also obtain upgrades for said weapons by obtaining "Marksman points" which will unlock new addons (such as scopes) to certain weapons. A good incentive to better accuracy, but slightly annoying when achieved since it both slows down time, creates screen blur, and obscures your view with text to inform you of the accomplishment.

Side Notes: Weapons all have considerable kickback; You can also lean around corners and obstacles, but only if you are aiming down the sights, making this a much needed but irritating and unintuitive mechanic.

Then there are the missions themselves, alongside how you insert yourself into them. Airborne lives up to its subtitle by allowing the player to drop into nearly any available location on the map, secure or dangerous.This can include anything from landing directly into an enemy squad or finding a special Drop Zone that is out of the way of immediate danger (some rooftops, hidden openings). Once you make it to your drop point of choice you can proceed to finish a number of starting tasks in any direction you want, adding to player agency. Unfortunately this freedom is later gridlocked into more linear sections the further you progress towards mission completion. For example during one mission you are tasked with opening a fence from the other side of a location. The player needs to work their way through the enemy stronghold to get to a lock to break on the fence, but this lock is clearly visible (and should be breakable) on the side of the fence you start on. On top of that once you break the lock and allow your teammates to progress into the compound the mission is practically over.

Fortunately you have AI teammates! Unfortunately you are beholden to realizing how unreliable they can be, and in turn how ruthless (and inconsistent) the enemy AI is as well. Sometimes both friend and foe alike will either not progress at all or charge head first into death giving me flashbacks of the worst types of enemy behavior in Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect ("I will destroy you!"). Other times fellow brothers in arms will collectively suffer temporary blindness and fire at walls instead of enemies. You are, on most occasions the only soldier that matters and considering how accurate the enemies tend to be in this game that only adds to the challenge (and frustration of completing it) not to mention a few infuriating occasions where enemies will respawn out of certain sections of a map, further slowing down progress.

Multiplayer
Surprisingly (not counting the free version influx of players) still active on 360!

This portion of the game plays roughly the same as the single player, with the typical game modes of this genre (Team Deathmatch, Control the Flags, etc.) you come to expect.
The only major downsides to this are some serious lag and connectivity issues, team killing and the lean feature being rendered nearly useless by limiting the scope of range for leaning. Despite those issues still very fun to play with and against others and get a break from the bots in single player.

-Overall thoughts in Conclusion-

Medal of Honor: Airborne is a prime example of "for every step forward, take one step back" for the series. Which is not at all surprising given its slowing sales numbers and competition (Bioshock,COD 4, Crysis, Halo 3, Ghost Recon AW 2, Portal, Rainbow Six: Vegas, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Unreal Tournament III were all released in the same year). Despite this and the numerous issues and lack of major or meaningful polish or innovation the game still managed to be enjoyable for what it was. And if your're like me and have a certain level of nostalgia for this era of WWII-centric gaming you might find some mild enjoyment out of it.

The game is currently available for free on Xbox Live for the 360.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
I'd wait for superior version to go free on Origin, previous ones were already and reboot was in 1$ HB tier, only this one left.

I'd wait for superior version to go free on Origin, previous ones were already and reboot was in 1$ HB tier, only this one left.

Better overall performance on PC, I take it? I don't usually mention graphics or graphical fidelity when discussing games but the performance on 360 (alongside some texture pop-ins and other issues) did seem sluggish on occasion. Or is there something else about the PC version I'm unaware of?

passerby

Arcane
Better overall performance on PC, I take it? I don't usually mention graphics or graphical fidelity when discussing games but the performance on 360 (alongside some texture pop-ins and other issues) did seem sluggish on occasion. Or is there something else about the PC version I'm unaware of?

No, nothing special. Do you even have to ask ?

Unless console port is completely broken, every action game is at least slightly superior due to graphic fidelity, fast loading/streaming and above "cinematic" framerate.
Even as shitty port as Dark Souls for example, is still superior.

Every First Person Shooter is *much* better by definition, gamepad for an FPS is a joke.

Peasant.

Unless console port is completely broken, every action game is at least slightly superior due to graphic fidelity, fast loading/streaming and above "cinematic" framerate.

Every First Person Shooter is *much* better by definition, gamepad for an FPS is a joke.

Peasant.

It's also wierd how console peasants get pissed when their "beloved" action games go to PC and rant about how Pc gamers will just "destroy" it even if the PC community gives more love for the game.
Example. Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma, Jade Empire.

sullynathan

Arcane

Peasant.

It's also wierd how console peasants get pissed when their "beloved" action games go to PC and rant about how Pc gamers will just "destroy" it even if the PC community gives more love for the game.
Example. Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma, Jade Empire.
Don't remember console players getting mad that Vanquish came on PC after nearly a decade or DD after nearly 5 years, by that point not many are still playing said game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom