Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I discovered in only the last two years or so beginning with Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships that a LOT of older directX games have weird and completely unacceptable framerate drops on modern hardware or Windows 10 even if FRAPS or other FPS software showed at least a constant 60FPS.. The fix was usually to try the DGVoodoo2 wrapper. 9 times out of 10 it corrected the issue for me. Star Wars: Republic Commando for example is so loaded with microstutters on even the most powerful hardware that it's pure cancer to play it normally. DGVoodoo fixed it right up.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    Man, I don't know why I haven't played these games in so long. I really should get back to them. Saw this on YouTube recently and it was good for a guffaw. I played about 1/4 of Deadly Shadows when it first came out but my system wasn't up to snuff. I hated the constant stuttering. I remember digging it though.

^ Top  
  3. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    New Xen is pretty fucking neato
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Wyatt_Derp Arcane

Wyatt_Derp
    I was wasting my time with Ultimate General Civil War until I lost one battle during the Wilderness Campaign and the defeat screen pops up. Screw branching campaigns and screw that game. I don't often rage quit, but I made an exception there.

^ Top  
  5. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I dont see there anything worth bottle of vodka.
    I dont doubt that Deadly Shadows level design is decent or even good and much better then "Thiaf" but the problem is still the bad UI, the visuals and the movement. If I didnt play first two games just before playing Deadly Shadows I probably wouldnt mind but it feels like going from driving a car to driving a tractor.

So yeah Im going to wait some time until I try playing that game again.

^ Top  
  6. Comte Arcane

Comte
    Yeah I rage quit this game a few times and then never revisted it.

^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The interface is made to work with a gamepad of course, something I'm used to at this point, but I can't say I remember the movement being weird.

^ Top  
  8. dextermorgan Arcane

dextermorgan
    Felt like shooting things in the head so went through my library and settled on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl with ZRP mod. It's a very different experience from what I remember, now that I know the ins and outs, but it's still quite satisfying, especially shooting things in the head part.

Yesterday I put on my SEVA suit and loaded the Vintar BC with SP-6 rounds and made my way through the Red Forest and all the way to the Brain Scorcher complex. The sight of that thing is still fucking amazing. The sniper on top of one of the towers interrupted my enjoyment by taking potshots at me so I had to shoot him in the head too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    I'm playing a Gloomhaven campaign on Tabletop Simulator because I couldn't hold myself to wait for the digital version. The game's so good to scratch the tacticool itch.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Vlajdermen Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I downloaded the eDuke32 mod for Duke Nukem 3D, which gives it modernized, Half-Life style controls. It's how Civvie played it, and he was right to do so. It plays like a dream. I can't wait to finish it and move on to Blood.

Show Spoiler
    Shadow Warrior plays like a dream even without mods

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  11. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    Ok I have finished with Outher Worlds (finished playing, not finished game). This game is disgusting...

As I wrote here before, I am huge FNV fan and I was really happy to try this game, especially if Tim Cain was one of it's creator. And... oh my god, why all old game creators turned to shit? Garriot, Molyneux, Gollop to name a few... And now Tim Cain - e tu, Brute?

Gameplay is not good - ok, FNV shooting was not great neither, but at least you could build your character in a fun way. Here it's... extremally easy. And Hardcore mode - in FNV it only added perma-death to your companions and you had to eat, drink and sleep (and also healing was harder). Here it affects save system, which is totally idiotic in my opinion. Why not give player control of what parts of hardcore mode he wants to add to his game?
    And game is easy. Easy as fuck. Fights? If you read perks and skills descriptions, you will breeze through your enemies. Skill-checks? Laughable.

Writing? OMG, I know this game was ment to be lulzy, but it is not FNV with wild wastelands level of lulzy. IT'S FUCKING FALLOUT 3 LEVEL OF LULZY! Everyone is a moron. Literally everyone.

Well except... few women because game has netflix level of char creation - white guys = morons and bad people. Women of colour = good, caring, intelligent, strong.

Oh and companions. Shiiiit! Fuck! Remember Cass? Remember Boone? E-DE? Or my favourite Raul? Forget about them, OW gives you boring she-engineer, boring she-doctor, boring he-priest, boring he-adventurer and cool robot. And some red-head chick I haven't checked, cos I ragequitted when reached city she is sitting in.

Worldbuilding is related to writing - if everyone is moron, then you can't expect world being well-created. It is not. It's bullshit.

Oh and the worst. You know which game is the most similar to this in terms of maps and exploration? Fucking Ass Defect.

Rating - Oblivion/10 . Don't buy it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    That's actually a good idea. I'll try it out too.

Personally I'm playing Legend of Grimrock II [EDIT] and it's pretty awesome. Didn't know that series before and it was suggested to me recently.

Krivol Thanks for saving me some money.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    Well according to the credits there were several writers besides Cain and Boyarsky:

Kate Dollarhyde ... (narrative designer)
    Paul Kirsch ... (narrative designer)
    Chris L'Etoile ... (narrative designer)
    Daniel McPhee ... (narrative designer)
    Carrie Patel ... (narrative designer)
    Nitai Poddar ... (narrative designer)
    Megan Starks ... (narrative designer)
    Marc Soskin ... (additional narrative designer)

However the poor combat and overall gameplay structure is down to them.

^ Top  
  14. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Dodge dem swings. And flaming spears. And telegraphed but devastating flame rings.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. forumvisitor#451 Arbiter

forumvisitor#451
    Enjoying the shit out of some modern stealth games:

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes (want to finish this to 100% before jumping to Phantom Pain) - great graphics and controls. Game has as well as Phantom Pain lots of hidden mechanics that you just do not get to see anywhere else, lot of content and possibilites. Quite a challenge to get all missions S-ranked. I am still finding out what game actually reacts to.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - replaying second and bank level - finally they ditched chaos and you get to fully embrace your powers. Cool design, AI is very advanced, reacting to all kinds of stimuli. While the world-building is cool, it is too edgy in this one and story sucks. But it does not ruin the fact that levels are great (even though Dishonored 2 levels were better) and game just invites you to experiment.

Hitman 2016/18 - this hit all the right tones in me. I could not get into Hitman 2: Silent Assassin because of unpredictable AI, this time it actually is predictable and gameplay is more precise. Opposite of Dishonored in terms of mood - it does not take itself seriously and there are some hilarious moments. Optimal way to play for me is just turn off all the prompts/opportunities/story missions, look around the levels, figuring where am I allowed to go in with a gun and/or in default disguise and slowly working way towards targets which are rough at first and then I get more and more efficient until I know the map inside out. The feeling when you finally know how to do at first seemingly impossible run with only suit, no evidence and only targets killed is thrilling. And once you pull it off and go calmly towards an exit as the music builds up... just awesome. And then I think - is it even possible without any distractions and KOs? And on even higher difficulty? And of course it is. I am amazed how well it is actually designed so that you can approach things in hundreds of ways. And if it gets less challenging you can go with any of the Escalations or Contracts... just so much content. I even liked some of the "worse" maps - like Colorado. That was super challenging on Master. I was not hooked in a game like this since Underrail came out. Also mention deserve graphics - shit looks tight on PC. Just the correct use of effects - very spare but done properly. Downside are loading times (maybe tied to internet connection?) and always on-line shit.

I like alternating between these as each has something quite different to offer. All of them feel like they perfected their formula and are at its peak.

I got Hitman and Metal Gear Solid V from website cdkeys.com which had them in total for 35USD (20 USD for Hitman 2 + Legacy Pack and 15 for MGS V Definitive Experience). Money well spent. Time well spent :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh you're in for a good time if you don't give tuppence for the story.

^ Top  
  17. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    Absolutely adoring Hades (EA); Supergiant's depiction of the Greek pantheon is very endearing, and the game is so good it's hard to believe it's an Early Access title. Speaking of, a similar game that's decent is Curse of the Dead Gods (EA). Both fun roguelites, both of them really benefit from using a gamepad for the analogue directional controls.

Them aside, finally started my retro FPS binge. Wolfenstein 3D (1992) was surprisingly still playable. Blowjob's facial expressions are oddly satisfying. Though it was Doom (1993) — run through crispydoom — that really impresed me. That was fucking great. I found Doom II: Hell on Earth (1994) kinda disappointing at times though. Too much making the weird secret-hunting shit part of simply finishing the levels. Still got a couple levels left though, mayme it'll turn around. Looking forward to Doom 64, though not sure whether to play that or Final Doom or Heretic next when it comes to idTech1 era games. Just finished playing through the first chapter of Duke Nukem 3D (1996) on hard, and damn this game aged well (albeit with the world tour edition at least).

Kinda wanna jump ahead to DUSK and similar, but I know I should at least play the original Quake first.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Squid Savant

Squid
    Yeah I want to get DUSK too but I gotta finish Quake II now. Never played Wolfenstein or Duke Nuke Ems or anything though. There's quite a bit of retro FPSs I'm wanting to get around to but after Quake II I think I'm just getting DUSK. I dig the style.

^ Top  
  19. forumvisitor#451 Arbiter

forumvisitor#451
    Oh I know. I have skimmed through some hours of
    Show Spoiler
    pirated version of
    game and decided I want to experience it whole from start. Also because on certain site, people say GZ is better. Story is just there for me. Not interested in it but at least you have motivation for what you do.

Btw. I have checked some comprehensive tips from seasoned players, but is there a strategy guide? I know Konami made one site but there was not much things in it, I am especially looking for all those hidden mechanics - like explaining what exactly shower does, how to make enemies paranoid of you etc.? Kojima is autistic about hidden mechanics and not telling you about them.

^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It increases your damage threshold, the time in reflex mode, and most importantly it rids you of the stink you'll accumulate from staying in the AO too long.
    In what sense? There's plenty of tools to fuck with their heads, if that's what you're after.
    You'll find a lot of stuff all over, even on the codex thread, but I don't know that it's documented in a quantifiable manner anywhere.
    There's a lot of room to experiment, so don't prepare yourself too much for it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    IKR? DUSK, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, and Wrath are the reason I went back to play these old games to begin with. I'm really glad I did.

But squaddie m8, you gotta get Duke Nukem 3D. The first level (pick Come Get Some for difficulty) will leave you screaming for more, I promise. And it's on sale for nothing atm.

^ Top  
  22. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The game's complete lack of any difficulty is really baffling. I enjoyed the other aspects more than you, but it can't be denied the game is so easy it ruins any hope for the RPG systems mattering at all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    God, playing FNV for the shooting ain't the way to go. If that game didn't have VATS it'd be unplayable.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Wait, what? Why? I have tons of hours in NV and used VATS very rarely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Theodora Arcane Patron

Theodora
    Because the combat is otherwise terrible.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.