Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. maximusriley Literate

maximusriley
    Playing Civilization 4 scenarios on Diety. Nothing but frustration and aggravation for the most part, but I still keep clicking that End Turn button...

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Kabas Erudite Patron

Kabas
    Stronghold HD
    One of those childhood games that i kinda missed. That mission where you need to kill everyone in pig castle under a time limit made me realise just how much i hate the pathfinding in this one. Other than it's a pretty good game, looks beatiful and it didn't take long for the adviser quotes to burn into my brain.

Rune classic
    This one i did try a bit during my childhood but very barely. Didn't even leave the starting village or something? Can't remember.
    So, now i am playing it properly. A lot of "I want to avoid using the rune powers and have fun because of how rare they're and i can beat this encounter without them anyway". And a lot of lizard eating.
    [​IMG]
    I hope i am not missing out on anything because i choose to play the classic version instead of gold one. I heard that the some levels were simplified a bit compared to the old version. Intro logo was definitely way cooler back than, this i can remember.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Finished Mafia 2. It's alright, I dunno. Very immersion focused, probably to a fault, but it works most of the time. Nailed the setting and such, but the story is pretty basic and just copies mafia movies most of the time. Combat is Gears of Mafia, which didn't bother me a ton since it's not really the focus of the game but it's pretty meh.

Quickly played through Splinter Cell: Conviction again. What a shit game. I had vague memories of it having some fun predator style "action stealth," which I guess it does here and there, but overall it feels like a clunky cover shooter. There are segments you can do in pure stealth early on, but the second half of the game they just throw huge waves of enemies at you one after another with no real way to stealth the encounter. Even if you want a Gears of Clancy game, it's not a good one because of its clunky feel and poor shooting mechanics outside of headshots. The story is also pretty boring and basic, with Fisher not feeling at all like the great character he was in the first three. Also the fucking thing had framerate variances all over the place even on modern hardware, going from 120fps to 55fps depending on which way the camera's facing (a well known issue according to google). Just kind of a dire experience, I blew through it action style in like 4 hours and wondered why I did.

Just installed Prey. I pleasure delayed this motherfucker for years, time to bang that hottie...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. mk0 Educated

mk0
    Done with System Shock 2, again I would've enjoyed this more if it weren't for the respawning enemies. The game also started to drag near the end, same issue that Alien Isolation had funnily enough, oh well.

So, Thief Gold... I was having an amazing time with it until I reached the Thieves' Guild, that level is fucked up.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Today I'm planning to see how long it takes to finish DQ1 on NES if I play the game the whole day, without stopping. No guides, too. It's been a long time since I played it, but the game tells most of what to do by talking to NPCs.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ghulgothas Magister

Ghulgothas
    Decided on a whim to install and sample Dark Messiah of Might & Magic for the first time today. It's the only one of Arkane's catalogue I haven't touched yet, and I've been hungering for a fresh immersive sim to dig my teeth into since I wrapped up my GMDX playthrough a month ago. I'm also playing with the Unlimited Edition mod installed without any of the mini-mods it's packaged with.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Viata Arcane

Viata

• Funny Funny x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Finally survived a run in This War of Mine. It was only my second attempt, but that first attempt was years ago. I lost a character deep into the game and was too demoralized to continue like that. This time things went smoother. I used the starter team of Marko, Bruno, and Pavle. Was on the way to a pacifistic run, but a civilian who was peaceful before decided to attack me when I returned to the location, so I wound up putting them down with a shovel, which put bitch ass Marko into the 'broken' emotional state. That was the biggest hiccup in the game. Pavle almost died in a scuffle because I thought an icon I clicked put me in hiding, but it was just cover. That was easily treated with a bandage and a couple days of sleep, so not a major setback. Resources presented little problems. I want to do another run, but go the opposite way being scummy and aggressive. Now that I have a clear under my belt, I feel free-er to experiment with mechanics, take risks, explore the locations completely, etc. One of the best indie games I've played, easily.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Wyatt_Derp Cipher

Wyatt_Derp
    Broke my no-buy early access game covenant with Grand Tactician: Civil War. And yep, it's early access alright.

^ Top  
  10. pakoito Arcane Patron

pakoito
    Root Digital is an adaptation of the popular boardgame. It's an asymmetric wargame lite, and the adaptation is serviceable. Recommended :d1p:

^ Top  
  11. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yakuza 5
    I've completed all taxi driving missions. Well, I did fail one mission, but I didn't bother to retry. I was driving a passenger that had an urgent need to pee, and he was also late to his job. I failed, he peed himself, and on top of that, he's now unemployed. I checked my completion % and it still counts, so I'm good. Now, I have two out of nine races left. I'll deal with those in time. Did all the training sessions with Komaki, and I'm almost level 20. I picked up all the trash I need to get an S rank, and I have finally moved on with the story. Kiryu is best Yakuza, but I can't wait to play as Akiyama. His fighting style is the most fun, imo. The game seems to be massive.

Geneforge 3
    I'm just plowing through this. I don't think that I have that much left. This time around, I am playing as a shaper and I have 4 creations with me. It makes things easier overall, but I do reload if one of them dies. It's a pita to level them up again.

Eye of the Beholder 2
    This is so far better than the first game. I imported my party from the first game, and I've already recruited a companion. There have also already been more variety in monster than the first hour of the first game. I would also say that the difficulty is higher in this one. So far, I have had three game overs, and I don't think that I'm even that far in. Srew gelatinous cubes, over and out.

I'm also slowly getting through Underrail and Dragon Quest XI. Once two of these five games are beaten, I will go back to Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Dungeon Rats.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. I played and completed SOMA. Not bad for a walking simulator, and very atmospheric even though I felt like I had seen most of it done before. It had a nice take on the nature of consciousness and what "you" are, and the conclusions it seemed to draw mirror my own thoughts on the matter.

Worth playing if you can buy it cheaply.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    If you've reached the Gelatinous Cubes, you're already 4-5 possible companions in.

I've recently come to realize that EotB1 is by far the best game in the series due to its game- and level-design. Six races and six classes, but no mandatory requirement or needless restriction placed upon any of them in regards to viable party builds. A party of four Mages is a plausible (but slow) method to beat the game, just like a party of four Fighters. It's extremely difficult to achieve a Living Dead-failstate, where you're incapable of beating the game because you missed an item somewhere.

The level design is very fluid and free-flow, once you reach the third floor you begin to find alternate paths to take through the dungeon, which then branch out and branch out. You can even skip a few floors and still beat the game! There are virtually no artificial barriers in place.

Compare that to EotB2. With only a handful of minor exceptions you are set upon the One Path, with Artificial Gates in place to make sure you don't run ahead and skip anything. You must first descend into the dungeon, you must then ascend the Silver Tower (better find all those bugels!) and so on and so forth. And there are several occasions where you can miss out on an essential item and either find it very difficult, or outright impossible, to backtrack to retrieve it. At least the six races and classes are still free-form and non-restrictive, but I'm unsure whether a pure Mage-party can survive some of the traps on EotB2 - so many of them solely consist of tanking unavoidable damage. But because EotB2 looks so much cooler (those cutscenes are gorgeous!) and becomes quite atmosphereic at times, everyone proclaims it as the best one in the trilogy.

(Things get even more bizarre if we add EotB3 into the mix. Let's just say that while EotB3 sucks ass, it's not that far from its prequel.)

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I've always put Eob1 ahead of Eob2 mainly because of the level design, I'm glad you appreciate it as much as I do. I pretty much agree with you about the other aspects as well, Eob2 looks so much better and is more challenging, the traps are more devious, but I think that aspect of design being better does not compensate for the sheer joy of Eob1's multiple approaches and solutions to problems. There's a ton of content in Eob1 that you can miss without even realizing it's there.

I think Eob3 is the worst not just because its design is the same linearity as Eob2 but poorer, but also because the engine tries to look and feel the same but is much clunkier, and at the time it was MUCH more hardware demanding for no apparent reason. The game does have some original tricks (like the underwater level).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Since you bring up EotB3 (and I state some of these for the nth time here on the Codex)... the four biggest problems with EotB3 are:

1: The needless restrictions and limitations put upon character races and classes, thereby both impacting character creation/progression AND in-game actions.
    2: Unbalanced monsters... with most of them being underperforming, merely serving as minor obstacles instead of being challenging threats to a high-level party.
    3: Pants-on-head retarded decisions in both level- and game-design, most of them centering on the Mausoleum, but a few other honorable mentions also cause a scene.
    4: The All-Attack button.

Back in the day you could add the fifth problem, the AESOP-engine that drives the game, but 'recent' breakthroughs by the Vogons have made the 16-bit engine into a 32-bit one, thereby removing all of the bottlenecks. With their Aesop-patch EotB3 runs just as smoothly as its prequels did. (And in case you're wondering, GOG already has it installed.)

I could write a veritable wall o' text on the above four points - but I think I'll do that over in the Eye of the Beholder-thread, rather than here.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. LarryNeff4eva Barely Literate

LarryNeff4eva
    I started a new Fallout 4 campaign because it seems like with everything that is happening all around the world, a fallout is inevitable. I just hope I'm wrong with my assumption.

• Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Five years ago Newgrounds held a game jam where the theme of the competition was Deception. This game took the top spot:

Recently a full and commerical title was released:

I would post the trailer, except it's spoiler-y as fuck. Just play the freeware version above (it should take you about 15 minutes at the most) and if it interests you, know that the non-free title is more of the same, but still not the same game. (Consider the freeware-title to be a prologue of sorts.)

I played the freeware title, and immediately picked up the full-price game afterwards. I was not disappointed, because it's damn fun (even though it's a French game) and it's targeted at us old-timers, so expect rotary phones, codewheels and CRT-monitors... and that's just Chapter 2 (out of 6). The voice-acting is excellent, another brilliant example where a good narrator (in this case, the programmer himself) can truly elevate a game. This game is a work of passion, and it shows.

So far my top (and only) game recommendation for 2020.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • sad sad x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Still been playing a lot of DDO. It's becoming my favorite D&D-based cRPG.
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tancred Learned

Tancred
    I've finally finished Deus Ex after getting to Hong Kong about five years ago and flaking out. Re-installed with GMDX and started again, in the end I chose Tracer Tong's new dark age ending. Feels like an oddly prescient game considering current events.

Right now I'm in the middle of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I like it, but fuck me its a bit janky. My horse threw me when I tried to ride past a group of bandits + cumans fighting each other, and then I slid 80 meters down a frictionless hill unable to stop and get back up while the bandits + cumans forgot about each other and chased me down the whole way before ritually beating me to death. Good times.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Been recently playing Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force, the Raven Software shooter from 2000.

God this game is so simplistic yet so good. Stalking through those desolate quarters on that Klingon vessel is so atmospheric. And bumping off those Borg drones with the IMOD never gets old one bit. There are always just enough twists and detours during missions that keep you from getting bored. For some reason the game didn't sell too well back then at release.

Mandatory "They just don't make shooters like these anymore" commentary.

:negative:

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ebPD8PePfC Learned

ebPD8PePfC
    Playing a lot of chess. After an embarrassing amount of hours I finally got 1000 rating in blitz. I've probably peaked, so it's time to move on to other board games.

Kill me

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Funny x 5
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Finished this. It's best considered to be a point-and-click adventure sorta between the classical Sierra On-Line/LucasArts-titles, and the first-person mystery-solving adventure games like Myst. With non-stop running narrator commentary.

If you are a game developer yourself, then this has extra something for you. You won't truly see it until Chapter 6 though.

My previous words stand: This is my first game recommendation for 2020.

:greatjob:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Dux Cipher

Dux
    Xenonauts

I got a (one-way) ticket to the Dreadnought and managed to kill the High Praetor. I neglected destroying the power cores, though. So my surviving squad - backs to the wall - basically had to resort to this in the face of a limitless Reaper horde:

[​IMG]

Better dead than assimilated.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Naraya Prophet

Naraya
    I have just finished playing Summoner 2, for the first time.

I won't go into details. I'll just say that I have enjoyed this game immensely. Memorable characters, enjoyable combat, cool spells and the story just oozing atmosphere left and right, gripping to boot. Not everyday you play as a goddess and can party with a monk or a golem/android, among others.

Do yourself a favour and play this game, you won't regret it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Padzi Scholar

Padzi
    I started playing Greedfall. 6 hours in at the moment. It's pretty decent so far. I really hope Spiders won't try to spoon feed me any SJW bullshit later on though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.