Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Spacer's Nugget Educated Patron

Spacer's Nugget
    Strap Yourselves In
    Going through my GOG backlog. :cool:

^ Top  
  2. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    Borderlands isn't a very high bar to clear. I found Bulletstorm mediocre in most aspects. The only sequence I really liked was the chase scene when you're on the train.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    The campaign's so fucking lazy, though. They didn't even bother naming the player character for many of the missions, and a lot of it feels like it wasn't playtested at all.

Still pissed off that I bought a new computer to be able to play it. Then I did the same thing when Arma 2 came out, and got disappointed again... Oh well, countless hours were wasted playing around with the mission editors, at least.

Lately I've been playing a bit of PES 6, but mostly I've been trying to not suck at chess.com.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    That is true. I did actually play Bulletstorm lnot too long ago and found it lacking. It did not age well at all.
    The only thing I appreciate was the kill skill mechanic, and they didn't even do that much with it because the game is so damned short and scripted.

^ Top  
  5. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    I confused Bulletstorm with Rage. I think I tried Bulletstorm about 8 years ago, hated it after 10-15 minutes, then never gave it a second thought. Then last month I saw Rage on sale, got it, but worried, "Is this that shit game I tried to play 8 years ago and abandoned?" So the good news is: I played Rage, and it wasn't that game I played 8 years ago. The Bad News: I hated Rage at least as much as I hated Bulletstorm. Now I will remember to avoid both games in the future so will never be confused again.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Rage Rage x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Yeah Rage is pretty lacklustre too. I remember how dull it was, every all those years back then. At least with bulletstorm I had to play it again to remember how mediocre it is. Don't have that problem with Rage.
    And ID created it too, can you imagine that? How the mighty have fallen.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    I played Arma 2 with the expansions but didn't get too far though I loved its totally unforgiving, hardcore approach. I think I ended up getting the DayZ mod soon after buying Arma 2 and going online and got sidetracked and never went back to the official campaigns. I have Arma 3 in my collection but last week I went to run it and was disappointed I couldn't play at highest detail settings (yes, I'm a graphics whore that likes beautiful things) without stuttering since the engine didn't seem that much more advanced than the one used in Arma 2. Even my new i9 cpu at 5 GHz didn't make a difference when many other games that used to struggle have a noticeable improvement due to brute forcing with the processor. So now I know it's a gpu bottleneck issue and will probably play Arma 3 when I upgrade from my current GTX 1070.

^ Top  
  8. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    After Operation Flashpoint they seemed to lose all interest in single-player campaigns. Cold War Crisis was a genuinely great campaign that clearly had thought and effort put into it, whereas the one in Arma felt like they just quickly threw something together in the mission editor and called it a day. Arma 2 was a bit more interesting with its more open-ended missions, but it just focused on a small group of marines and didn't come even close to the scope of OFP, only really having a handful of good missions before fizzling out. There are the expansions and the fan missions, some of which are great, but for me those can't replace a long, official campaign.

^ Top  
  9. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    I never played an Operation Flashpoint game - mostly played stuff like the earlier Medal of Honor and Brothers in Arms series - but I noticed that its GOTY edition has all three early games, including CWC. I should probably check it out. I like a good campaign with some depth that actually makes you feel a part of something big & hectic happening.

^ Top  
  10. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Ah, the first ARMA. Where installing a sound mod fucked up the objective triggers in the campaign. And by fucked up I mean they didn't trigger.

^ Top  
  11. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's a great big caveat emptor for even the highest rated user-made mods, modules, TCs and remasters, in all game genres, else you might just discover that those beautiful new 3D character and monster models chasing after you that put the original ones to shame can no longer fit through the door and you're a bit too safe in your journeys. Or as the late Jon Pertwee (the 3rd Doctor Who) once said: "I never much cared for the Daleks... all you had to do to get away was just go up a couple of steps and they were screwed."

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    ^ Top  
  12. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Still playing the excellent NFS Heat. I finished up the main story, which was pretty interesting, especially for a racing game, but obviously that's not why anyone plays them. Just continuing to unlock and upgrade new cars and doing the harder races. I really enjoy every type of event except the drifting. Not to say that it's bad, I've never liked drift events in any racing game.

Also just finished Wasteland 3. Not much to say really. I liked it a lot more than Wasteland 2. It's like a 6.5/10 kind of game. I liked it but I doubt I'll go back

Currently I'm about an hour into Enderal and I already like it more than Skyrim. The scale of it is very impressive for a mod. I was just kind of testing the waters when I installed it, but I see myself completing it now, and maybe trying Nehrim afterwards

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BROS RIGHT NOW CODE VEIN

LOLLOLLOLL!! 11! LOVE MY AMINE WEEABOO LOVE TOY

[​IMG]

BROS COMBAT IS FAST AND OK BUT EXTRA BROS HELP

DARK SOULS WITH WORSE MECHANICS BUT STORY FAG BETTER.

• Excited! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • feels good man x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Yldr Educated

Yldr
    Tomb Raider VI: Angel of Darkness, how to put it...

A cursory Internet search shows very mild complaints like "the controls aren't the best". Talk about an understatement.

It looks like every single aspect has been designed to be laborious. The UI, the level design, the puzzles, but really it's the basic controls that take the cake, they have to be the worst tank controls ever: movement is as janky as can be and every single animation take forever to resolve, the most minute action becomes an excruciating exercise in tedium while you slowly position your character properly and then spend half an hour watching her push a fucking lever.

It's one thing to be banal shit boring, you can just put one foot in front of the other, watch the end credits and move on. This game is actively twisting your balls constantly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • quality shit quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. samuraigaiden Cipher

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    GTA 5 really is just more GTA.

^ Top  
  16. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    Back when I first played it, somewhere near release, I kept thinking, not that the controls were bad, but that the setpieces and the platforming were awful. Like, jees, I keep failing this platforming bit, or this fireball is impossible to run away from. But reading what you said, yeah, that's it, the game just controls badly. I think that, like myself, most people are thinking of it not like the controls are bad, but just that the game is too hard. That makes me wonder if the game would have been good if it controlled well or if the game would have been bad even if that handicap was fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Replaying Dark Souls again (again [again {again}]). It's From's best game by far. Infinitely replayable, perfect length, atmosphere, level design etc. As close to perfect as it gets for a relatively complex game.
    I've also been playing Dirt Rally again, superb racing game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've started playing Avernum 4. If I wasn't a fan of the older Vogel games, and I didn't know any better, I'd probably gouge out my eyes.

Syberia II is currently free on GOG. I beat the first game not long ago, and I've had my eyes on the sequel. Downloaded it. Time will be spent on it later in the evening.

While browsing my GOG library, which needs more attention, Way of the Samurai 3 was downloaded, and will be played. My goal is to get as many endings I can get before putting it down.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Recently got Doorkickers 2. Decent game that's in early access, so not a huge amount of content yet. Great if you like tactical shit.

^ Top  
  20. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Remind me Ligth Crusader on SEGA!111onetwothr

Those games refused to lauch in 1996-97 just as in 2010, eh... Plot of first game suspiciously similiar to what we have today...

Underrail again - ironman of domination with chem guns, already past Depot A. I don't really expect to Ironman whole game, but at lest familiar parts...

^ Top  
  21. wyes gull Learned

wyes gull
    Streets of Rage 4. Now, I'm not a fan of sequels (even though almost all my favorite games are sequels, SoR2 among them), let alone sequels in name only that involve nearly none of the original people, that just exist because brand recognition. Neither am I a fan of DLC. Surprising, then, that SoR4 not only hits all the right notes from the get go but the DLC is actually more than worth the money.
    I think I compared it to a really good tribute band last year when I first played it. A year and change later, I don't think it matters. Not only do I still have it installed, it's the game I've played the most since (on par with ck3 probs) even though the genre doesn't lend itself to extended play. I'd still regularly give it a whirl every now and then even before the DLC that came out yesterday. With it, I reckon it'll still be worth a whirl a year from now, maybe more. SoR4 is excellent.

The bosses from SoR1 on Survival can fuck right off tho.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Barabus Learned Patron

Barabus
    [​IMG]

• Brofist x 3
    • decline x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ultimanecat Arcane

ultimanecat
    Been playing through Jedi: Fallen Order, which at $14 is a pretty good deal and yet still more than anyone with Gamepass would have paid. :negative:

Not sure why it needs to be Dark Souls, since it doesn’t really commit to it in character building or weapon diversity, but I’m still enjoying it. Started out on the highest difficulty and combat is challenging and punishing. Had to break out the controller eventually like it tells you to once I reached the first extended fight with a lightsaber wielder because the mouse just wasn’t keeping up. After all is said and done, it feels like Star Wars more than most Star Wars released in the past decade, especially once you mod a permanent helmet on some of the lulzy characters so you don’t have to look at them.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :abyssgazer:
    Today, I spent 10 hours playing Avernum 4.

• Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. NerevarineKing Educated

NerevarineKing
    I've been playing Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. I've never encountered The Dark Eye before so it was a bit of a learning experience to make a decent party. The combat is kinda like Gold Box except from a worse angle. Other than that, the game seems solid so far. I'm currently exploring the world for different leads on solving the main quest. The survival aspects are a nice change of pace and make exploration more enjoyable.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.