Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Denim Destroyer Educated

Denim Destroyer
    Finished Kingdom Come and decided to give Trine out since I bought it 8 years ago and haven't played it. Its alright but it cannot keep my interest for long. The wizard has the most interesting premise with the ability to create platforms by drawing shapes on the screen. If the game had some more bite it would definitely be a lot more enjoyable. I will end up trying another game I bought almost a decade ago and haven't touched, Fallout 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. 0wca Learned

0wca
    Replaying this:

[​IMG]

Then moving onto this:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    I was talking more from an enjoyment perspective. You can get to more than decent level with a keyboard, but that's way less fun imo. And gitting gud takes time with any input device.

^ Top  
  4. Nathir Savant

Nathir
    Keyboard is perfectly fine anyway.

^ Top  
  5. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    I just discovered the Sega Forever package for mobile, where you can download old sega games and save for the price of watching an ad. I downloaded the Phantasy Star set and have been generally enjoying it.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I was going to play a few PS+ games, but instead, I am replaying Albion and Way of the Samurai 3. I have a four week vacation. No plans to do anything. I'll play games for ten hours a day.

In Albion, I made sure to get the gun early on, and gain two levels. Being level five, instead of level three will surely help. I'm also reading everything, because my memory of the game is so-so. (I posted screens in the other thread from my alt. account.)

In WotS3, I am dicking around on my first run. A few hours in. I'll maybe do 10-15 endings, all endings might be a bit much.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    The rate you post about games at, I figured you were on a permanent vacation...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They're easy enough that you can do most of them under an hour. The real fun of the game is in the sword making anyway.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Vlajdermen Arcane

Vlajdermen
    My thoughts on some consolefaggotry I've been catching up with these days

Ape Escape 2
    The core gameplay loop of searching and catching monkes in non-linear Mario 64-style levels is fun, the art style made me slighty nostalgic for Digimon, Yu-gi-oh and other weebshit that was popular when I was little, and I found the prevalent banana motifs cute, but it all got old after a while. Might finish it later.

God of War: Ascension
    The combat is decently involved with a solid enemy pool, surpriisingly good boss battles, and just the right amount of difficulty, but the other elements of the game fall short of the previous god of war games. Not bad, I still enjoyed it from beginning to end, I just remember the previous games being more interesting. The story and art style are among the better in the series.

Nights into Dreams
    If I were a cynic I could complain about the game all day, but the core gameplay is so fun that I don't want to. It has all the best characteristics of the patron saint of autism Yuji Naka.

God Hand
    It really grew on me. The combat is deep and involved, with just the right amount of randomness and unpredictability to not get repetitive, but make each outcome a result of skill, not of luck. The presentation is neat and legible, and the campy style of the cutscenes works well. Some of the lines made me laugh, but most are just fun to watch.

Devil may cry 3
    What I said for God Hand combat still applies here, but the controls aren't as tight, the level design doesn't work as well and the view is a little muddled. On top of that, everything besides the gameplay (story, visuals, writing, music) is irredeemably awful. I get why others like it, but I don't. That's just the way it is.

Crash Bandicoot ans Uncharted trilogies
    Will give my opinions later, in a dedicated post

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Exhuminator Augur

Exhuminator
    Right now I am almost 30 hours into Mass Effect 3 (the 360 version not that censored remastered bullshit). I am almost done with the fourth and final DLC, then I'll wrap up the main campaign. I loved ME1 and ME2, but there's something about ME3 that kind of bores me. Ultimately I think it puts too much emphasis on cover shooting, the game feels like 95% of the time that's what you're doing. Which is fine if it was supposed to be a cover shooter and not an RPG. Not saying it's awful, it's still reasonably fun. But I'm not addicted to it like I was with the first two. I kind of have to make myself play it honestly.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nathir Savant

Nathir
    Demon Souls on the RPCS3 emulator. It's kinda funny seeing how many elements were repeated in Dark Souls. Pretty good game. Bosses are more like puzzles in this one, instead of tense action fights like in later DS installments. Which is fine. The level design is a lot more treeacherous here though, and the run up to a boss is sometimes harder than the boss himself. Tower of Latria is the best stage ever though. Legitimately scary. Emulator is amazing too. Easy to set up, no problems with the game. Runs amazing, the only time it lags is when i break enviromental stuff. Camera is a bit wonky but it's fine. Just need to finish Valley of defilement and then go back to Boletaria. Wish world tendency was explained anywhere though. I went in completely blind and essentially locked myself out of getting pure white stonefang tunnel tendency.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tower of Latria is great, isn't it? The level design is cool, but the freakiness is what made it memorable for me. First, you hear these ominous bells, and you wonder wtf is going on. You're cautious, and then BAM! These Cthulhu-esque monsters slowly come at you, and you just want to NOPE out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tower of Latria is the best set of levels in any of the Souls games.

• Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Maybe.
    But still, Dark Souls > Demon's Souls.

• Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ELEXmakesMeHard Educated

ELEXmakesMeHard
    Scratching an MMO itch... playing the New World beta & the Ashes of Creation alpha. But both will end very soon. Then I'll check out the "Remnant: From the Ashes" expansion, and maybe try a hardcore run of Valheim.

^ Top  
  16. NerevarineKing Educated

NerevarineKing
    Tower of Latria is one of the best things FromSoft has ever done.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Lordran is better.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Started playing Albion. I've had fond memories of it from when I first played it over 20 years ago, but I've always been concerned about revisiting it because I never made it past the first dungeon where you gotta find the runaway assassin. Well I just finished said dungeon and I have to say I like the game quite a bit. It's got some annoying kinks to it, but I particularly appreciate the worldbuilding - it feels like an actual alien world that you land on. In this sense it's very similar to Morrowind (furries also contribute to this impression).

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    Lurking: Immortui (PC)
    Really excellent RPG so far, very heavily influenced by the Ultima series (specifically U3-5). You really need to take good notes in this one, as like Ultima, much of the early game involves traveling to towns simply to gather information. The game does provide redundant information from multiple characters, so missing a few characters here and there doesn't bring the game to a complete stop (so far anyway). It has an automap, but you are only able to see the area around you—this makes exploring a bit easier but not too easy. I like it.

You get full party creation right from the start, where you assign points to stats and skills. In addition to typical magic spells, you also have bard songs, and it's useful to have a character devoted to each.

Combat is not too exciting, but it's also infrequent enough that it's not very annoying. It's typical Ultima 3-5 style combat, but can be annoying in that a character only gets EXP when the killing blow is landed, and enemies almost always run away when they are near death. It's impossible to catch up to a fleeing enemy, so many combats end up with you injuring the monsters with your melee characters, only to have the monsters flee and therefore you get nothing. Kind of annoying.

Artifact Adventure (PC)
    A really great console style RPG. This also has full party creation (though you simply select classes), but what starts out seeming like a Dragon Warrior 3 ripoff ends up being surprisingly open and nonlinear. You can select from several artifacts at the beginning of the game, one of which is an airship. That gets you access to the entire game world, which means you can fly around doing things completely out of order, as long as you can survive. The game is not completely gated by character levels and equipment either—you find artifacts all over the world that give you abilities such as powerful spells and abilities, and you can use these to take down much more difficult enemies to get massive EXP gains (or survive difficult dungeons to find powerful equipment). It's really interesting playing a console RPG that is this open, and it proves that even basic turn-based combat and EXP-based leveling can be a blast if you just give the player some freedom in how they approach things. Really surprisingly good!

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    I'm also replaying it. I currently have five characters in my party. The game certainly has a unique feel to it. You can read a lot of lore stuff from subjects available to you in dialog, but it's mostly optional.
    Combat is okay, and exploration has been fun. It's interesting that one of my characters can't train in one area, because he doesn't speak the correct language. I also found (and still do) it amusing how your characters
    learn new languages during boat trips.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Steel Soul Literate Patron

Steel Soul
    Strap Yourselves In
    I played the shit out of Phantasy Star back in the day. In my defense, I was young and didn't know what a JRPG was.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Two more games beaten.

World End Economica episode 2, and Maneater. First one took me nine hours to read through, the other took me 15.5 hours to 100% it.

My backlog is now under 400 games.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Catacombs Magister Patron

Catacombs
    Slow and steady...

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. NerevarineKing Educated

NerevarineKing
    I think I would go insane if I tracked my backlog. I just kinda play what I'm feeling at the time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Rookie numbers lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.