Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. alighieri Educated

alighieri
    Wow, this game is already 15 years old? I remember looking in awe at the graphics of this game as a teenager thinking it couldn't get any better and trying to get it to run on my underpowered PC.

^ Top  
  2. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    Disagree about the atmosphere. I thought the BGM and ambient sounds made for some great atmosphere at times. Especially in the dungeons/crypts.

Yeah, it was a beast to run at release, but part of that was just due to poor optimization. I remember still having issues with stutters even years later on systems that far exceeded the recommended requirements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    Time flies, doesn't it? I was barely in my teens when this came out, but I never got to play it back then. Didn't really appreciate CPRGs at the time.

On its own, I'd agree the game's atmosphere is passable, though I wouldn't really call it "great", just good. The issue is that Arkane's immediately preceding game is Arx Fatalis, a work that simply oozes atmosphere from every single pore. In that regard, Dark Messiah just feels like a massive downgrade.

^ Top  
  4. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    I actually found them similar in terms of atmosphere, though Arx has better BGM imo.

^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    And on top of all this, the quest for the perfect sword continues.
    Show Spoiler
    Nearly 50 custom swords and I can't stop. Send help. :despair:

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    haven't played alpha, but i've read an interview with Swen, where he said that BG3 will have a "modified" 5e. Don't know what does that supposed to mean, maybe BG3 will feature a larianized 5e with randomized drops.

Pillars is 40 hours long though.

^ Top  
  7. curds Prophet

curds
    My thoughts too. Combat's great fun, everything else is just alright. Whereas Arx Fatalis excelled in several areas.

^ Top  
  8. NeptuneGames Neptune Games Developer

NeptuneGames
    Excuse me, what do you mean as "item fever"? Is that the randomized item spawn?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    Sank back into the warm, inviting folds of CS:GO.

Tried pretty much every other competitive shooter with any amount of active players on Steam and they're all either even more autistic or are just plain bad.

There's a certain comfort in going back go CSGO, a familiarity that radiates from the semi-realistic, plain, clean levels and art design. You know what you are in for, there are no misguided expectations, no marketing hype, no mechanics you may or may not like. So it's a pretty pleasant relapse after years of disappointment, chasing pvp shooters and finding only momentary haven in Rising Storm 2 Vietnam.

Plus, they've removed bots from competitive, so now angry kids can't kick you for failing to clutch a 1v4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. NeptuneGames Neptune Games Developer

NeptuneGames
    Ok, got it. In my opinion, "item fever" isn't the best way to handle equipment in a cRPG... but it's a necessary evil in aRPGs. In a cRPG, handcrafted items are far superior.

That said, I think DOS2 handled the randomized item very well.

^ Top  
  11. Ezekiel Magister

Ezekiel
    God, I forgot how trashy the difficulty in Nier: Automata is. Normal is way too easy. Boringly so after you have leveled up a little while. Hard takes ridiculously much health from you with every hit. I wish this game didn't have character levels. That all you upgraded/unlocked was the weapons and chips. That way they could have kept it more balanced throughout.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    Yoko Taro's games never go anywhere near anything resembling balance - intentionally. Any madman capable of committing Drakengard 3's final boss to disc is either a massive troll or just a psycho who derives sadistic glee from torturing players.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Caim Arcane

Caim
    I gave Ring Fit Adventure a shot because I'm a fat fuck that needs to work out more. I can see this helping in the long run, but it's gonna take time.

In Ring Fit Adventure you find a talking pilates ring that sets your hair on fire and has you fight a furry muscle fetishist's dream come true. It's a turn-based RPG where the power of your attacks is linked to the power of your squats. In between battles you run a course and collect coins to unlock new outfits (that improve your power) and tokens in more out-of-the-way places to get more experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Derringer Erudite

Derringer
    9 gets worse past disc 2 after the fat ass butt ugly smurf queen gets blown up by bahamut, the plot sort of just disappears and then gets retarded when they get to Terra, the best thing about the game is the budget dedicated to the art assets.

^ Top  
  15. Twiglard Poland Stronk Patron Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Strap Yourselves In
    Played The Forgotten City. It was originally a Skyrim mod. Quests weren't too hard but there was no hand-holding either. For something that was originally made by modders, it's actually decent. Still, I can't recommend it unless you have nothing fun to play right now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Good news, I am now dealing damage in Elex. Bad news, it's too easy.
    There's like, no difficulty curve.
    Also, the fact that having high Cold forces me to side with the Hybrid is dumb. Like, one second Jax is like "death to the Hybrid" and then after one dialogue option he's like "you know what, the Hybrid is a pretty cool guy".
    That's kind of dumb. Elex isn't a bad game and does have a lot of charm, but is it prime eurojank.
    It's more polished than Hellpoint, but it's still pretty jank.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Demo.Graph Savant

Demo.Graph
    I've tried returning to Dark Souls 1 (the remaster) after an extended pause. Again, first hours are great: the level aesthetics are great, the enemies force you to pay attention and the lore is decently mysterious.
    And then, again, it all falls apart. The levels are small and empty, the enemies are repetitive, the game is linear, combat mechanics are gimmicky and the lore is a taoism sparcely powdered with western fantasy elements. Worst of all, it lacks characters with an agency.
    I would really like to like this game, if only for aesthetics.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    The areas are small and empty? Sounds like you're not exploring enough or are still in the early game. Blight Town and Anor Londo are huge, for example.

^ Top  
  19. Demo.Graph Savant

Demo.Graph
    I did quit precisely at Anor Londo.
    The level is big, but empty. It has what, 20-30 enemies, 1-2 NPCs and a lot of running around. When you progress through the level it becomes even emptier. Kill the gargs and central tower has absolutely nothing. Open a shortcut wicked gate and you have no reason to get into the temple living rooms again. You pass through the painting cathedral maybe two times per game (during the first walkthrough and en route to DLC), but there's nothing to do there. Also, living rooms, in my opinions, is one of the weakest parts of the game design-wise.

Same thing is true for Blight Town. You pass through it once to get all the items and that's it. There's no reason to return. For comparison, the Swamp is completely different - it has Quelana and that samurai guy, it's a crossroad of sorts and you can farm shards there. You have some reason to spend time there except being stuck in front of a new challenge.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    There's also the hidden area in the swamp, which you may or may not enjoy depending on how you feel about platforming.

^ Top  
  21. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    Full C# rewrite of Ambermoon - it's a great game I have never finished. Have a nice time playing it now.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. Naraya Prophet

Naraya
    Interesting. I assume you mean this? https://github.com/Pyrdacor/Ambermoon.net

Mmm, this game has SUCH a cosy art style.

^ Top  
  23. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Had a tough nut in Wordfeud (Norwegian, which is actually more fun than English) with seven consonants. There was a free "I" on the board, but I had problems finding a word that would get me the maximum score possible in that situation. Then I thought "What would Crispy do in a situation like this?" And then suddenly I saw the right word: KRISPT.
    It's nice to me a member of such a friendly community where people help each other even without knowing it.

• nice nice x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Yldr Educated

Yldr
    Looks like you're on the casual side of the Dark Souls audience (people who mostly want the Dark Souls formula as a vehicle, not an end in itself), so I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy 2 and 3 much more than 1.

The environments are huge and varied, with absolutely stellar visuals and skylines, and populated with enemies more on the traditional end of "heroic" fantasy. It's no wonder DS2/3 alienated fans of DeS/DS1, you can find their objections to the world design and underlying mechanics everywhere, but to me the series just kept getting better.

The basic Dark Souls formula is so good that I've never understood people who say a casual/EZ option would ruin it. I don't really think you can "ruin" such solid fundamentals, in fact I often look at other mediocre third-person a-RPGs, old and new, and keep thinking how much better they would be if you remastered them in the Dark Souls engine.

Shit like Bound by Flame or Crusaders of Might & Magic are prime examples: they would still be much easier than DS, with poorer level design and atmosphere, but it would still make them worthwhile simply because the basic 101 combat would be so orgasmic.

^ Top  
  25. Krivol Magister

Krivol
    Yes, that's the version I am playing now.

The game looks great for something made almost 30 years ago for 16bit systems. And plays awesome.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.