Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. deadmeme Learned

deadmeme
    It is excellent. Areas you visit are beautiful I also enjoy the soundtrack. There are even some puzzles there. You also learn a lout about the settings lore. I only played UT' 99, 2004 and 4 before.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    The expansion is great too, at least if you like more challenging gunplay.

• incline incline x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Vlajdermen Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I beat Starcraft 2 a while back, I'm very conflicted on it. On one hand I can't deny I enjoyed having an RTS I could beat - I'm a total retard when it comes to this genre and I wasn't able to beat the original - but I can't deny it's an objectively inferior game due to its casualized campaign structure and bloated gameplay mechanics. There's too many units, simply put. The likes of the Reaper and Hellion become obsolete before you know it. The presentation was also a downgrade, in both the art style and voice acting. It's too soft and Halo-esque. There was still parts that I liked - some of the missions were fun and interesting, there's some cool unit quotes, certain units like the Raven were good ideas, and as bloated as it is, the gameplay was still fluent and fun. I'm still somewhat tempted to play the expansions but I'm not sure if I'd rather do that or git gud and beat the original first.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gandalf Learned

Gandalf
    You might like Warhammer 40k Dawn of War games or try Ground Control if you want to go simpler way.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Yeah, they're for multiplayer, basically (early game harassment).
    The zerg expansion as far as I remember mostly implies small scope and rpgish type of gameplay, a nice change of pace (and the protoss one mostly full epic scope, yeah). So you might try the zerg one I'd say easily. But the original game (and campain) is worth it, I don't think you have to learn much in order to beat it - perhaps your micromanagement is lacking? Just watch a few vids regarding that.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Ground Control is nice and simple~

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    The main problem I had with starcraft 2's campaign was that it wasn't representative at all of the multiplayer game. Different units, things work differently, no macro mechanics... Starcraft 1's campaign sort of taught you the basics of the game, all the units in the campaign were real units usable in multiplayer.

The campaign was hit or miss in places, storywise and mission quality wise. The terran campaign was mostly fine, but kind of boring to me. Still, the missions were unique, the writing was... fine...

I loved the zerg campaign. I dunno, I always liked the zerg anyway. I preferred the missions that played more normally vs the RPG like missions. The missions were pretty unique and fun for the most part.

The protoss campaign was terrible on every level. Plus, and this may just be personal preference, I just didn't enjoy the protoss units at all in SC2. And the missions were practically all the same, secure 3 sites, capture 3 artifacts, press 3 buttons. They were all kind of structured like puzzles, there was a "right way" to do things, and it was obvious that I was supposed to play it that way.

I suppose that last part was an issue for me throughout all of SC2's campaigns. They were designed more "tightly" than SC1's maps, for the most part. There was usually some kind of time limit, resources were tight, unit selection was limited, etc. Rather than just letting the map play out organically, like many of SC1's campaign maps. In SC1 I felt that I had come up with a way to win. In SC2 I felt like I found the intended way to win and then followed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Vlajdermen Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    You mean like Rexxar's campaign? That sounds killer, I loved that part as a kid

I'm with you. What little you get to see of them in WoL, they really failed to impress, especially the Phoenix.

Yes, it's why the game feels so "7th gen". There's less room for imagination, and the faux-nonlinearity of inbetween-mission upgrades diminished the "git gud or git rekt" approach of the original. It's similar to what happened to shooters after Gears of War, albeit not as extreme.

^ Top  
  9. Demo.Graph Savant

Demo.Graph
    You're probably overestimating SC difficulty. I'm sorta crab myself and I remember completing zerg campaign with "almost mono" lings (I've used a pack or two of hydras/mutas for anti-air). It won't be possible in Brood War, but vanilla SC was easy.

^ Top  
  10. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    Yeah the vanilla SC campaign was pretty easy. Brood war was definitely harder, you did have to think a bit sometimes. And fuck that level where you have to wipe out the protoss base within X time limit.

But in both, the optimal strategy typically boiled down to: Make many barracks/factories/lairs/gateways, make many units out of all those buildings, throw 200 supply worth of units at enemy base, win.

^ Top  
  11. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BROS

I MADE CALADRIA GREAT AGAIN LOLLOLOL TOOK ALL CITIES NOW GAME KEEPS FREEZING SO I MIGHT NOT GET THE CHEEVOS

PLAYED HALO REACH FUN ENOUGH FOR WHAT IT IS

STARTED HALO ODST BUT MY SAVE POINT GOT FUCKED I THINK I HAVE ENOUGH HALO

MIGHT JUST FUCK AROUND WITH RANDOM THINGS LIKE UPDATED RESOLUTIONS TO EVRY NINETIES SHOOTER I OWN LOLLOLLLL

WAS GONNA PLAY PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN BETHESDA BUT FUCK IS THE GAME SLOW AND JANKY

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Won ToME4 with Ghoul-Solipsist Insane difficulty.

• nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Bastion (replay) :3/5:

Bastion is carried by its presentation and unique, reactive narration. It's been many years since I've last played, and it was the narration that instantly resonated with me. It was like listening to that one band you liked in high school and find, to your delight, that you were right in liking it in the first play. I had forgotten the little bits of reactivity they included in the script. The game feels like a sluggish action game in these times, especially after playing Supergiant's lastest title Hades, but it's definitely cool to see the foundation that was established here in Bastion. You've got you dashing, parrying, guns, melee weapons, projectile throwing, all of these elements are present here. The game doesn't do a good job of letting you switch your toys mid-level, instead relegating that to very specific areas that aren't present in every level. I would have loved to have been able to switch and modify weapons on the fly. Also, the game has a pretty big lack of boss encounters. I wish they had enemies that made better use of your pretty expansive arsenal. I think Supergiant should venture into this direction in their next project after Hades. I would love to have a large world to explore, with puzzles and encounters that make you utilize a vast toolset.

Endgame: mechanically, I forgot that Bastion drops the ball so hard here. Yes, most will probably remember the "emotional" finale of carrying Zulf back to the Bastion. What I had totally forgotten was that the game forces a new heavy weapon on you that limits your movement speed to an absolute crawl. It doesn't last too long, but this totally left a sour taste in my mouth as the game drew to a close.

In the end, Bastion has all the ingredients that I'd love to see incorporated in a more ambitious game. I think with the success of Hades, I have my fingers crossed that Supergiant take a stab at delivering such an experience. They have the mechanics, the arsenal, the art, and the music down. Now I want to see them iterate on a contiguous world design.

Ghostrunner :3/5:

Ghostrunner feels and looks like a AA take on the 1hp room-clearing genre. It has more in common with Hotline Miami, where your only means of manipulating the AI is by line of sight, even then though they will just wait you out. A bit of a shame since I would have loved to see more stealth oriented mechanics, given the whole ninja motif. Unfortunately, its levels are super linear, which make the more platforming oriented levels a bit of a bore. This is especially true in the VR sections of the game which don't mesh with the core gameloop at all. These sections feature puzzles and disable your dashing ability. I think they meant these to be palette cleansers but they stick out like a sore thumb and wish the game did without them.

The combat experience: you know what to expect if you've played Hotline Miami. 1 hit and you're dead, 1 hit and they're dead, rinse and repeat. You get a few new moves as you play: a new projectile weapon, bullet time, the same shit you've come to expect. The one thing GR nails down best is FEEL. The wall running, the spider-man like grappling, the sliding, it all looks and sounds very slick. I do wish you could use your body to interrupt enemies. Say, sliding into enemies, or tackling enemies coming out of a wall-run. Unfortunately, the game's combat encounters all have this same feeling of being in a linear racing circuit. The fact that the game just repeats this over and over makes me wish that the sequel opens up the playsapce and allowed for more exploration. The enemies are a bit of a mixed bag. There are few erratic enemies that result in some cheap deaths: melee types that can lunge at you across large distances and kamikaze enemies (whose timer I as never able to quite figure out how to activate). Considering you die in 1 hit, I would have liked more audio tells to give them not just more personality, but give the player more warning of them taking aim at you. Speaking of little details, I do wish the enemies had more varied death cries, perhaps more exaggerated blood effects, blood smearing on your sword. I'll commend the game's boss encounters. Each one felt unique and made use of the movement mechanics in fun ways.

I'm not sure if this game needs the 1hp system to still retain its thrilling gameplay when everything is working. I think it would be neat to acquire some sort of armor so you can tank 1 or 2 hits, as it's pretty frustrating to get killed by a lame stray bullet after a long encounter and have to restart. Also, I wish the rails were more magnetic, as there were plenty of times where I felt like the game wasn't registering where I was trying to move. Again, when it works, it's amazing, when it doesn't, eh, at the worst you're just looking at a quick restart.

My biggest hope for the sequel is more for expansive playspaces and greater interactivity between your body and the enemies. I would love to be able to stip enemies up with the slide, or land some cool kills by falling from great hights. I really don't want to see the same "race car circuit" level design all over again as the ingredients are all right here for them to apply it to a more open level design. Also, please axe the VR sections, or at the very least don't use them for boring puzzles. Platforming gauntlets (like the finale of the base campaign) would be great, but nothing that kills the momentum.

TLDR: when the game's clicking and responding to your inputs as you intend, it's a great time. at the very worst, when there's a disconnect between what you intended and the game kills you, eh, you're just a mere second away from giving it another try. A solid foundation upon which a great game could be built.

Deadbolt (replay) :5/5:

Deadbolt is as excellent as I remember. I think it's the combination of the awesome bluesy/punk soundtrack, the sound design, and the simple but easily readible art style that make this one of my favorite titles in the 1hp room-clearing genre. As stated before, this game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game. The campaign is composed of 3 chapters that introduce new enemies and mechanics. Each level gives you a few mechanics to play around with to mess with the AI to isolate them and go in for the kill: noise (knocking on doors, or firing off a round to attract nearby enemies), toilets/vents to zip to other exits around the map, line of sight (you can play peek-a-boo with enemies by quickly opening and closing doors). The campaign is pretty brief and it makes me wonder how much more content they could have added to the game since there are few cool ideas/weapons that only appear once in the game. For instance, there's only one "booby-trap" level where you carefully have to read the environment and navigate it just so to skirt around the traps. There's another that introduces landmines, which bring in the fun dilemma of whether you'd prefer to navigate around them or spend ammo on them.

I have my fingers crossed that we'll see a Deadbolt 2 in the future. I think the chances could be pretty good, considering the devs did a follow up to their debut title Risk of Rain. In sum, if the sound of Hotline Miami + Gunpoint sounds palatable, don't hesitate to give this a shot. Definitely one of my favorite indie games.

loved:
    -the gore/gibs when killing different types of enemies (organics vs skellies), liked how each enemy had a unique color of blood

-the simple but effective audio design. aside from the music, the game is very quiet, which allows the gunfire to take front stage

minor issues: dropped items near doors can be a pain, b/c the game sometimes won't be able to tell which you want to interact with

would have liked: I think enemy barks, simple text above their heads, would have added more personality and humor to the game

thoughts on Hard mode: I've really had to learn to make the most of my tools, particularly melee weapons. Melee weapons can be swung indefinitely, but if you use them as a projectile they're gone. Hard mode tweaks the encounter design, such that you have to spend more thought on how you are going to use your tools to outlast the enemies, as most missions task you with clearing out all enemies (but not always). You definitely don't want to be left empty handed as swinging your fists at anything larger than the average goons is a recipe for disaster. Another nice change with the remixed encounters is that you're probably going to need to spend your currency on unlocking some of the beefier starting weapons. While you can get by fine on the normal difficulty with the base pistol and by looting as you go, I really had to think about my loadout toward the endgame. There was even one level where I has just enough rounds to complete the mission. Definitely a refreshing way to experience the game in a more demanding, but more gratifying fashion.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    [​IMG]

Finished JA1: Deadly Games. Pretty cool. Serves as a nice bridge between JA1 and 2 mechanics-wise, and adds or fixes a lot of things that were annoying about JA1 - now dudes heal a bit between each day instead of having to take an entire day off to heal even the most minor wounds, dudes are able to spot mines without metal detectors, grenade launchers give you much more options for using grenades while enemies carry a lot less grenades on them in general, you can now crouch and shoot, you can buy and sell stuff, etc.

It's primarily a mission pack, so there's no big map to conquer, but it still has a whopping 34 missions to go through, and some of them can be big. One interesting thing is that all the maps run on a hard time limit (which varies for each mission), and while in a few instances I'd manage to achieve the objective only on the very last turn, the time limits felt very fair. The curious thing is that hard turn limits in turn-based tictacs nearly always result in something bothersome to me, but here it feels like the timers were balanced just perfectly to force you to keep going without being annoying. And if you disagree, the game lets you set longer timers anyway.

Also, since Dadly Games is mission-oriented rather than about "conquest", and with actual objectives in each mission, it's not entirely as obsolete compared to JA2 as base JA1 is.

• Brofist x 10
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. the_shadow Arcane

the_shadow
    Anachronox - Finally got around to finishing this one after dropping it when I was close to the ending due to real-life obligations. When I started playing this one I thought it was mediocre at best, the beginning is perhaps the worst part of the game. You're introduced to horrible JRPG combat when you only have one party member, the starting map is rather sparse, and you get some annoying side quests where you need to take photos of landmarks.

However, once you get off the first planet the game really gets interesting. The combat always remains the weakest part of the game, but the story, character and world building are probably some of the best I've even seen in a computer game. It's one of those games where you are close to the ending and look back and thing 'Wow, I've really come a long way'.

:5/5:

DRL - A rogue-like that is based on Doom. It's simple enough to be able to just pick up and play in one sitting, while being complex enough to be engaging. I've haven't been able to beat it yet because the completionist in me has tackle each challenge area, even if it would be more prudent just to skip them.

Pathfinder Kingmaker - I'm currently up to Chapter 4, and so far this is probably one of the best RPGs I've played in the past decade. Good RTwP combat and character development, an engaging story, and a base building component that isn't bare bones and just shoved in like it was in Pillars of Eternity of NWN 2.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Finished Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology using the Citra emulator.An interesting game,the story and gameplay is mostly about time travel and various possibile worlds,the graphics are just passable since this is the Enhanced Edition of a DS game after all,the grid based combat and the turn manipulation is an interesting idea,the characters are ok and sometimes are a bit two dimensional and the story is good enough.Overall an interesting little game

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gilius Thunderhead Learned

Gilius Thunderhead
    So, I've been playing all the Carmageddon games after about 20 years since I played the second game, the only one I had familiarity with. So here's a tl;dr post about it.

The first game has the best core gameplay and aesthetics. By core gameplay, I mean that it's the one where running down people and crashing into other cars is the most satisfying. Unlike later games, peds are basically sprites that blow up when you touch them. While you can't play around with them as in Carma 2, it's more rewarding of stylish driving where you don't nencessarily hit peds full force but rather mow them down using all parts of your vehicle. More importantly, peds are often positioned in large clusters just begging you to spin or powerslide into them.

As for the the graphics, they hold up to this day. The cars have good models and deformation (remember this is a 1997 game), peds' animations, particularly as they splatter their organs all over your screen are very fun and original, and the tracks are large, diverse and interesting with plenty of secrets to discover. Exploration is rewarded in all but the Hard difficulty mode, which punishes you too much for losing time and using the recovery button (if you've never played Carmageddon, you can fix your car on the fly or set it right again if you land on your back, which will happen a lot if you explore). It's easy to forget how impressive it must've been to see your car turn into a deformed rust bucket and then slowly restore it back to normal with the press of a button back in 1997.

The handling of cars is very similar in all of the games and it takes a bit to get used to. Controlling your car as goes past 60 mph is extremely difficult, but you'll spend most of your time doing U-turns and driving kamikaze into a ramp or another vehicle, so for that purpose it works. Still, I think that the handling of most other vehicles other than the Eagle and the Hawk, your starting choices, lacks some optimization in the first game and for the most part I don't find them fun to drive.

This is different in the expansion, the Splat Pack, which has a lot more interesting choices for vehicles and I found them to handle a bit better. The Splat Pack is a worthy expansion, due to the number of new vehicles it introduces and several new tracks. The tracks vary in quality, but some are just as amazing as in the original and they tend to have large concentrations of peds for added customer satisfaction. I've only dipped my toes into the expansion proper, as I'd rather use the Meldpack, which seamlessly integrates main game and the expansion and straight out of Windows at that. I'd also recommend the Windows Restoration Project to run the original game and expansion, as it helped me with frame rate issues and crashes I was having in DosBox.

A word about the soundtrack, containing several instrumental tracks from Fear Factory's Demanufacture. While I'm not a huge fan of the band, nothing goes better with Carmageddon's mechanized mayhem than this. The second game's Iron Maiden soundtrack doesn't fit nearly as well to this kind of game.

Moving on to Carmageddon 2, one of my adolescent obsessions. In all fairness, there are several things it does better than the first game. the damage models are much improved, now including detachable parts that fly out when you crash into things; peds are now fully 3D, which means you can do stuff like push them over ledges and send them flying into air, sometimes into other peds; the environment is a lot more interactable with breaking glass and props like traffic vehicles, trains and even airplanes you can crash into or send absurdly flying while in Pinball mode; there are more vehicles to choose from, they have great designs and handle better than in the first game, and you can also have more opponents in the same race. The maps are still pretty good and reward exploration to a even greater level than the original.

In other ways the gameplay has suffered. While the selection of lighter vehicles is great, you'll struggle to get the bonuses from running over peds as they're likely to get up unless you hit them full force. The peds are also placed more randomly throughout the map, instead of clustered like the first game, with less opportunities for driving feats where you crash into +5 peds at once. I've also found it more difficult to get special bonus like Extra Syle, compared to the first game. The game is made much easier due to the Player activated power ups, which are often a great idea but give you an "I win" button after lining up against the opponent. Opponents are generally more fragile, as while before the most effective way to destroy them was by a head on collision at high speed, now you can rather easily piledrive them against a wall for massive damage. Their position is also persistent throughout the map, instead of spawning near you like in the first game. This is good in principle, but the AI is so stupid it will get stuck at the bottom of a lake or even blow itself up with mines.

While the first game hit the right spot between sadism and silliness, the second game is perhaps too much on the silly scale. The gritty atmosphere of the scenarios is replaced with a lighter one, peds are given a lot of additional funny conditions like "big heads" and "stick figures", the interface is brightly colored and, as mentioned before, the soundtrack lacks an appropriate tone compared to the first.

Oh yeah, and there are the missions. I still have PTSD from those. Now, every 3 scenarios you're forced to pass a mission. While the rest of the game is all about non-committal fun, here you're forced to do very specific things while relying on luck and borderline exploitation of mechanics. Just use a cheat, like timer freeze, and "enjoy" them at your leisure is my only advice.

All in all, a great game, but nostalgia wasn't enough to make me see the first game is still slightly better.

Let's not talk about TDR. I decided to skip to Carmageddon Max Damage right after the second game. This was Stainless's long postponed effort to copy their own game, which they managed to do to some extent. In its favor, together with your shiny graphics you still have your trademark large exploratory tracks, the diversity of scenarios, the absurd sadism, etc. For the first time, they managed to make the AI cars actually race, although this is only likely to happen in the dedicated racing scenarios. There's more variety to gameplay modes, with racing and other modes where you have to accumulate points by hunting certain peds or chasing random checkpoints, or steal those same points from your opponents by wasting them.

This is all quite nice, but what about the core gameplay? Here my expectations deflated like a balloon, as I found out that the game now discourages you from crashing into other cars. Now even a modest hit against your rear bumper will waste you. Meanwhile, wasting other cars has been made extremely difficult and costly to yourself unless you use powerups such as the anvil launcher, in which case it's very easy. So basically the game consists of hoarding powerups and using them to nuke your adversaries opportunistically. Peds retain the Carma 2 problem of being difficult to waste in light vehicles and I wasn't able to get an Extra Style bonus by sliding into them. While the tracks seem good enough (I've only played 3 scenarios), they have too much of a theme park feel for my taste (why ramps and other stunt props in a city centre?). The OST is forgettable and the art (in character portraits for example) is definitely lower quality than before.

All in all, it's an entertaining game and I paid about 5€ for it, so I'm not complaining. It's a sincere effort, I just don't believe it lives up to the Carmageddon name. If you have the Steam version, you may be interested in the Experimental Beta Patch, which was an attempt by a lone developer to fix some of the most glaring issues using fan input, as well as the amateur mod that depends on it, STShotgun's C-MD Overhaul. From what I read, this would make the game worth playing for me. I haven't tried it since I don't have Steam.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jacob All Men Are King Kong Patron

Jacob
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Megaman Zero is downright cruel bro, even fpr megaman games standard. A fucking escort mission? You must be joking.

^ Top  
  19. what am i doing Arcane

what am i doing
    Reinstalled Dead Space 2 and decided to finally give it a Hard Core run, which I've never done before. Prior to that I'd played it for around 40 hours, mostly on Zealot, so the game itself wasn't particularly new to me, but my skills were certainly rusty (couldn't consistently catch a Puker's projectile anymore, for example). For logistics purposes, DS2 often works best if you keep the number of weapons used low (easier stacking in the inventory since enemies mostly drop ammo for weapons you have equipped), ideally one primary weapon plus the Contact Beam, which you keep solely for the ammo drops to sell in the store; my chosen weapon was the Ripper, as it's very ammo-efficient and tends to protect you from getting overwhelmed. The Ripper does suffer somewhat when dealing with distant enemies, and during the Tormentor sequence it is, as far as I know, broken - neither fire mode will hit the Tormentor's limbs, so you do need to bring an alternate weapon for a short section of the game there.

My first attempt ended at the Solar Arrays in a room where there's a glass panel that breaks when you trip some security beams (unavoidable) and I fumbled my gun. I don't actually recall if the Ripper's alt-fire actually can be used to close decompression blast doors, but I accidentally set off primary fire and by the time I had secondary almost ready it was too late. Back to the start of the game.

On my second playthrough I was more cautious at that point and set off the decompression while outside the room, so I could just stand and wait until it finished (I was also more conservative in general, prioritizing stasis and melee to conserve resources until I got the Ripper). Made my first save right after landing back in the Sprawl. This turned out to be a rather good choice as I died again shortly thereafter by TK-ing a fuel canister towards myself while I had a ripper blade out and spinning. Died another time by getting too close to a stasis'd Guardian planning to saw off its tentacles with one blade - turns out they can still insta-kill you when stasis'd if you get up close. On the third attempt everything went smoothly, and I made my second save game right after the escape pod crash. Proceeded with no issues all the way to Government Sector and made my third and final save right after the bit where EarthGov security forces are blocking you, but before pulling the power, leaving me with basically one chapter to go.

Here's where I hit some snags - the first time, I made it through the entire chapter smoothly and then got overwhelmed by the Pack in the final boss fight... I'd hit the core for two cycles and probably only needed one more. Could have postponed my third save until closer to the end, I guess. But, second attempt, I screwed up and blew up an Exploder arm when it was too close to me, and I guess that could just as easily have happened on the first try if I hadn't saved. Third attempt I made it almost to the final boss fight but let an enhanced Slasher get too close to me and died, and that's where I've left off for now (I think I also undersupplied myself that time - spent all my money upgrading a Force Gun thinking it would help in the boss fight and ended up with not enough ammo / medkits). I think for the fourth attempt I'll conserve whatever Contact Beam ammo drops through the chapter and use alt-fire to deal with the Pack on the boss fight.

Edit: finished. Didn't do anything special on the boss fight for the last try, just used Contact Beam. It worked fine. I think the first time I tried the boss fight I was just one short short of finishing it.

I really like Dead Space 2. It's not a scary game (except that bit at the end with the Ubermorph where you sort of have to run from enemies) and owes almost all of its "horror" aspect to the music, but it is a really good action game and a really good sci-fi game. The whole thing is well done - gameplay took DS1 and tightened it up. Almost all of the guns are both viable and fun to use (flamethrower is the exception, and maybe the Rivet Gun - funny how that one ended up being insanely overpowered in DS3). The voice acting is top-notch; I'd go so far as to say it has some of the best voice acting in any video game - even the audio logs are really well done. The setting has a lot of depth in the background lore, and feels real. They went to great lengths to make the Sprawl feel like a lived-in place, with all sorts of fictional brands and stores, incredible amounts of environmental detail, etc; it feels like there's more to the world of Dead Space than just the games, and when you feel that way about a game, the developers succeeded in building their world. Graphically it still holds up; texture resolution isn't as high as a modern game but it's not something I tend to notice when playing DS2, possibly because the lighting is so good or because there's so much visual detail.

Shame what happened with DS3.

Seconding this, DoW is really simple and easy to play, on top of being a great game. Probably one of the best "casual" RTS games that can be easily picked up and played without having to learn an intricate economy or any of that sort of thing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. thelegend Literate

thelegend
    Finished Freespace series. One of the best games I have played.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Swordflight, a module for NWN1.

It blows any of the official campaigns out of the water (either NWN1 or 2, including expansions). Great reactivity, build feasibility, no rest spam (honestly, this makes such a difference it's not even funny), tense resource management (tied with the previous point), good encounter design, high (but fair) difficulty, actual puzzles that aren't braindead, a decent plot, this thing has it all.

It's amazing how much of a better campaign a lone (very talented) guy using free tools can make than studios spending millions of dollars on trash. I'm only at the end of Chapter 1, but I already feel it's one of the best RPGs I've played in recent memory. Its only setback is the single-PC nature of the engine itself, unfortunately the companion AI is very bad and I suppose there wasn't much the developer could do about it.

However, the engine does have its advantages - it plays very fast and is pretty responsive for your player character. I don't even think it looks bad at all, it has aged pretty decently (certainly much better than NWN2's).

Anyway, congratulations rogueknight333, this is truly a masterpiece and belongs to the same echelon as the original Baldur's Gate. It really is that good and I can't wait to play the followup chapters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    edit: finished it. The last (optional) fight was pretty intense, I could only get past it because I used pretty much every buff I had access to (use magic device is a must in this campaign, so I had to take a rogue level for my dwarven fighter), especially a Flame Weapon scroll that made all the difference.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

I finished at level 5. Looking forward to Chapter 2, which spans up to level 17 from what I understand - must be a lot longer than the first one, which was basically a long and excellent dungeon crawl, with more enemy variety than most full games.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Informative x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Interesting x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. curds Erudite

curds
    playing disco elysium for the first time.

just died from kicking a post-box. I hadn't saved because there seemed to be no immediate threat of death in this game.

• Funny x 3
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    I've been enjoying Deadfire more than I thought I would. I don't want to hear any negative comments after that Fallout 4 post was brofisted either.

• Balanced x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • sheeeeiiiit x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Axecack Literate

Axecack
    EYE Divine Cybermancy - 3/5

Just beat this recently for the first time. I spent the majority of my playthrough wishing this game was Deus Ex with better gunplay. It wasn't. It had all the ingredients to be one, but settled on being a mindless horde shooter with a purposely confusing plot to make it seem deeper than it was.

To be fair, I enjoyed the earlier levels where you spend your time exploring environments, talking to people, and completing objectives, but even during those levels the "RPG" aspects of the game were barely holding on. Once you enter the last few levels of the game, it drops all pretense and fully transforms into the janky mindless shooter that it always was.

I still rather enjoyed my time with it and it certainly has great gunplay... that is until you start fighting "armored" enemies that are immune to all but 3 guns and enemies which can just randomly one-shot you with hitscan weapons. I did enjoy the hacking and cyber powers and being able to run as fast as a motorcycle. But it all just seems so surface level and unfinished. Clearly the developers had a vision and just didn't have enough time and money to finish it. This is what sequels are for! But they moved on to entirely different projects, unfortunately, so EYE will most likely remain an awkward, promising protoplasm of what should have been a masterpiece.

• nice nice x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    Recently finished a run of ToEE, and now I'm messing around with Far Cry 5.

I'm not a fan of Ubisoft games. I find them much too gamey for my taste, and FC5 is no exception. That said, I'm having fun atm just running around and killing these crazy hillbillies. Not sure if I'll actually finish it. In fact, I don't think I've ever finished any game by Ubisoft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.