Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game are you wasting time on?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Trash, Oct 8, 2010.

1. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    I'm playing through Tyranny right now.
    I'm not sure what to think of it. I like the sort of Greco-Roman inspired setting (not many setting like that, usually its just medieval Europe of some sort), but the combat is a real slog and there is way too much of it. The mechanics just aren't really good. Archers can still shoot at your healer even if you're face fucking them in melee, companions stop what they are doing and break formation to cast a buff on a character who doesn't need it, and everything just takes way too long.

The companions you get aren't great either. You have one real tank and he's disfavored only. And you need a bloody tank because of how many enemies they throw at you. Kills in Shadow is pretty useless because she's a stealth character in a game where stealth is an overall pointless mechanic, and Sirin is just meh overall. That means you're basically stuck with 4 useful companions, all of which you get early on.

• decline decline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Denim Destroyer Learned

Denim Destroyer
    I have been playing through the Blue Planet mod for Freespace 2 right now which minus a few issues has been fun. I like the idea of having a named protagonist who has wingmates they build a relationship with during the campaign. While this isn't something I wish the original games had I don't think it would work with the tone Freespace and its sequel were going for. As this is the first Freespace mod I have played I cannot offer a comparison but I do hope other mods aren't crash prone as Blue Planet can be. Some missions have ended with multiple crashes with one in particular crashing seven times. I wish an update would come out to address technical issues.

As I cannot seem to progress through Blue Planet since the mission I am on right now crashes every time, I thought of picking up Ultima 5 again but I am currently in a bind where I need to get better gear but lack money which necessitates me to grind. Unlike Ultima 4 this shouldn't be too bad as the combat in the fifth game isn't completely terrible.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Riskbreaker Arcane Patron

Riskbreaker
    I've been playing Northern Journey, I'm not even sure how to describe the thing. Oneiric, drug-fuelled Hexen-like FPS? The combat is rough, enemies having erratic movement patterns and blending in with the environment seems to be a feature and not a bug. But the environments can be stunning, there's a lot of clever interconnectedness to their layouts, backtracking and "puzzles" aren't overbearing. And the whole thing is just so strange and unpredictable.

^ Top  
  4. YldrE Educated

YldrE
    Painfully slogging through Final Fantasy 7 on PS1.

I can't remember the last time I played a story-heavy game where the writing was so bad. The way other characters constantly enable the writer's pet is really sad, especially in supposedly confrontational dialogue. "Cloud, I know you're cool and dark and broody and mistarious, and it's your right to be cool and dark and broody and mistarious, but you better not be less awesome than usual during the mission. All right guys, let him be cool and dark and broody and mistarious in peace".

It was groundbreaking at the time I suppose, so it would be unfair to badmouth how tedious the mechanics are, but the writing is so impossibly poor it might as well be a 90s Sonic fanfic where the writers are taking for granted that their clown characters are actually super badass.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. samuraigaiden Cipher

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    YldrE

There's a fan translation out there that's supposed to improve it. The original English text is absolute garbage when it's intelligible at all

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Recently finished Prey 2017 - far better than I expected. Phenomenal game. First half is stronger than the second one but still an enjoyable experience overall.

Also finished Elex - pretty good, but like with Prey, much better in the first half.

Currently playing Anachronox. The combat sections of the game are such a slog they make me want to kill myself. But everything else is very charming and enjoyable and mostly worth slogging through the shit combat. The combat wouldn't even be that bad if it was faster. Apparently you can speed it up by pressing "\". I don't think that worked on my game, but maybe it's because I don't use an english kb layout. I dunno.

• Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    I played ff7 for the first time around 2008 to see what the hype was about for the past decade. And oh boy, everything about that game was unbearably shit, from gameplay to writing to character models and especially the shitty MIDI that gave me headaches.

I suppose it was a game that was at the right place at the right time - it was everyone's first "rpg" when they were 10-14 and they have fond memories of it.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. I'm Big Into Anal Arcane

I'm Big Into Anal
    last epoch

its good if you like TQ, T2, Grim Dawn and PoE

still in early access but nicely supported by the devs with frequent updates

still in the honeymoon period but 4/5 at this stage

^ Top  
  9. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    It was also a console game so people who never saw Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Elder Scrolls, Ultimas, Underworlds, M&Ms, Eye of the Beholders, LoL, etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Dysmantle came out of EA the other day and as I said before, despite the rather dated concept it plays fine. Im enjoying it.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    Yeah it was definitely a moment in time. Remember, we were coming off super nintendo for the most part, so while today the music and graphics are pretty rough, back then it was a hell of a jump. The world seemed so big, it felt so cinematic... and honestly we weren't paying that much attention to the terrible dialog and stories, we were already accustomed to that from pretty much every other console RPG.

Many people who owned consoles did also own PCs, so it's silly to say all those people never played a "real" pc rpg, but they certainly didn't have the same epic feel. Now, today, I'd rather play through fallout 2 or baldur's gate than go through FF7 again, those games certainly aged better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Finished Batman Arkham Asylum, City and Origins in a row. Certainly it's good popamole. Fun, forgettable trash.
    I just started Arkham Knight. It's more of the same, more refined maybe? Specially now 6 years after release, without all those ugly bugs and performance issues.
    It looks great, I think it's the best-looking game I (personally) have ever played.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ezekiel Magister

Ezekiel
    The post-game stuff in Celeste is annoying. I collected the four B-side hearts needed to go to the center of the mountain, beat that level and am now a third of the way into chapter 9, which is this moon/space level with new mechanics. Already spent way more time on this game than I planned to. Might call it quits soon.

I knew something was fishy when I read "Maddy Thorson" in the credits. A born woman would never make a game this hard.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Playing Fallout 1.5. Just did Sedit quests and took a caravan to a new town, but when saving after a hard fight, the game crashed and corrupted the save. I have one right before the fight, but that was such a pain in the ass I've lost the will to play further for now.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    I already played Fallout by the time FF7 fanboys were claiming it was the best thing ever. I did need to buy a PSX because my PC needed a big upgrade and parents did not understand that back then. Long story short I got to play all the good games so Master Race bullshit does not apply.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Endemic Arcane

Endemic
    [​IMG]

Less effort to get this working than most WinXP-era games :P

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    I started playing Operenica : The Stolen Sun and its been fun so far but I am only 2 hours in. I like East European games because I enjoy the different types of mythology and the overall fantasy interpretation

And they not worried about beautiful women in their games :cool:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    Mgs 1 integral and 2.
    They suck hard because of level design and camera.

MGS 1 level design is the msx game copied.It is small and the backtracking only makes it worse.
    Levels are a small containment of 2-3 guards and a couple of rooms,it feels like a snes game instead of a psx 2 disc game.
    Each level has a one time gimmick.In fact,this might be the only game in existence that never iterates on anything.Everything is just a one time use gimmick.
    MGS 2 level design is just boring.
    It feels like the same thing copy pasted a hundred times.It lacks the original levels's unique theme.
    The smaller additions like lockers are nice but that's it.
    The water level certainly isn't a grand masterpiece worth adding.
    It is certainly a improvement over the smaller original but,it just feels boring to play.

MGS 1 Camera is a terrible choice for a stealth game.
    Isometric means you will be reliant on the radar since you can't see jack shit minus constantly pausing to activate first person view.
    Removing the radar shows how much the game relies on it for basic information.
    Constant fp mode from integral is not good.You can see further,but corners and going near anything will trigger the third person back.It is a novelty that the game wasn't designed around.
    The shit isometric view also makes the ai have shit vision,which makes the game a joke.
    MGS 2 Camera is practically the same with the addition of fp shooting while standing still.
    It is certainly a improvement but,a small one since the bigger issue is still around.And having to constantly go from tp to fp feels kinda jarring.
    The radar is also removed until you do some shit.Which adds a little bit of a needed challenge.
    There are gimmicks like radio chatter and ai shakedown,but those are gimmicks that get boring quickly.

Personally mgs3-s is where the series actually gets gameplay right.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. otteaux Novice

otteaux
    Just finished up playing The Ascent. Really fun double stick shooter that is a mesh of Blade Runner and Diablo.

Pretty good writing and surprisingly deep lore. Some nasty difficultly spikes at times, but it never kills you enough to force a rage quit.

Hopefully the devs will make a sequel, as the world is definitely interesting enough to support one.

^ Top  
  20. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I have to ask myself what I am not playing. I'm juggling a crapton of games.

On PC, I am playing Betrayal at Krondor. I don't hear enough talk about its writing. I really like it. Combat is fun, the word lock chests are a fun distraction, and I love the music. An excellent game.

I'm also playing Freespace 2. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I played a game solely focused on aerial combat. It's my first time playing, but it has aged well in my eyes. Controls work well, and and the mood is great.

I recently beat The Legend of Heroes: Tits2, which was much better paced than the first game. The turn-based combat is fun, and I liked tinkering with orbments.
    The third game, which I have started playing is also good, but it's more a dungeon crawler with long cutscenes mixed with exploration. The structure of the game was a bit of surprise for me, but I'm okay with that. There are no side quests or exploring the worlds /villages/towns/cities, talking to a crapton of people.

I stopped playing Solasta some days after release, but I've gone back to it. There are some things that I greatly enjoy, while there are other things that need improvements. I will probably share my opinion once I beat the game.

As the weakling that I am, I intend to beat The Knights of the Chalice II with easier settings. I never beat it when it released, which I sort of regret. In the early game, my psion is by far the most useful party member.

On Nintendo Switch, I am trying to beat Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle before starting SMT V. I was expecting a piss easy game, but it has been fairly challenging. You can't afford to mess up your turn. It's a bit easier now that I have found a trio of characters that seem to compliment each other well.

On PS5, I'm finally giving Yakuza: Like A Dragon the attention it deserves. It is not my favorite game in the series, but it's not far behind. It's just as batshit crazy as you can expect from the series.

Other than that, I am giving The Last of Us a try. My PS+ subscription is ending soon, but I have no intention of renewing it in the forseeable future. That's why I'm trying to try as many games that the service has offered. I remember when I bought five years of PS+ in 2017, for $25/year. Those were the days.

I have probably 10 more games started that I need to get back to.

Oh, I've also made a new save file in Championship Manager 01/02... fuck.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi
    How are people playing KOTC2? Pre orders?

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Denim Destroyer Learned

Denim Destroyer
    It is possible to buy a key from the developer by emailing him.

^ Top  
  23. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I backed the game on Kickstarter. It is also possible to contact Peirre, and buy it that way.

^ Top  
  24. spectre Arcane

spectre
    I've been playing this, looking to scratch an Street Rod itch:

It's like Car Mechanic Simulator with freeroam and actual racing, or My Summer Car without vaccination.
    Nice game if you want some sort of an entry-level gearhead experience, without having to sperg about tightening every single bolt.
    It's still detailed enough as far as I'm concerned with the major parts being represented and able to fail
    (figuring out what exacly failed or is about to fail through in-game feedback is good fun, so is experimenting with which parts you can actually do without).

The game is basically about buying wrecked cars, pulling useful shit out of them and throwing it together into something that's driveable,
    eventually turning it into an actually decent ride.

As you progress, you unlock a bunch of new tracks and racing modes, some are fairly typical like a simple oval for offroad races, there are also drag and street races.
    Each track typically has a reversed version to spice things up, and some races come with a twist, like limiting your HP, part selection or car make.

If you want, you can also play mechanic with a tow truck, you can also accept orders like fixing cars while sticking to a given budget. The cheaper you get it done, the higher your profit.

Brands are all made up, but inspired by a bunch of stuff from the 70-80s. Not a bad thing.

The bad: graphics are dated (especially for a 2017 game), it's not bad in the garage view, but becomes noticeable during freeroam, which also suffers for rather obnoxious artificial fencing you should totally be able to run over with a 4x4, but nah.
    It could also use some more visual variety and a few more cars. It's not exactly bad since you can customize the rims, paintjobs and the dashboard as well as get convertible variants, but
    more is better in this type of game.

In short: this genre always seemed very polarized, games are either very arcade-y or turbo autistic (like automation + beamng.drive). This one rests, rather comfortably, somewhere in the middle, without feeling like shovelware.
    The devs are actually still doing content updates, but there are also talks about a sequel, but I imagine the game is less popular than it probably should.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. YldrE Educated

YldrE
    [​IMG]

Tomb Raider: Legend is a massive improvement after the painful disaster that was The Angel of Darkness.

Movements, animations, camera, platforming, combat, they fixed almost everything that was tedious or broken. Admittedly their platforming engine could still use some fine-tuning, I sometimes miss trivial jumps for no discernable reason; someone sensitive to that kind of shit should consider playing it on PCSX2 or Dolphin for save states.

The plot is still somewhat disjointed but the environments are really beautiful so it's nice to move on to the next part.

I'm on PC but I played the DS version a few years back. It's little more than play&uninstall fodder but it truly deserves praise for how faithful it is despite being a 2.5D conversion, you can recognize almost every environment and setpiece. Good job. Tomb Raider: Underworld is still one of the best 2.5D platformers on DS and I'll be curious to do the same comparison with the PC version once I'm done with Legend.

Of note: on PC, the Kazakhstan level is known to cause several crashes-to-desktop. Disable the "next-gen" setting until you get to the motorcycle part.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.