Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

thelegend

Learned
Finished Forza Horizon 5 - good game for open world racing . Map is highly cluttered with missions and adventure seems fun. Good soundtrack. The problem is that there is no intensity and urgency in the races.

Visuals > Gameplay

Beggar

Cipher
Finished Forza Horizon 5 - good game for open world racing . Map is highly cluttered with missions and adventure seems fun. Good soundtrack. The problem is that there is no intensity and urgency in the races.

Visuals > Gameplay
Dang, and I was itching to play something like Gran Turismo. Now it's useless to download FH

Utfärd

kalib.png

Been playing Neo Scavenger for a couple of days now dying horribly more times than I can count. This is my most successful character to date having made it to the big city... Only to find out no one gives a shit about and go out scavenging you fuck to earn those dollars. Really cool setting in this game, city is like straight out of Blade Runner but the scavenging part is like Hardware (and these shady guys want me to infiltrate some military installation fugg). I've been playing exclusively melee, big strong dumb thugga Tyrone. Spears are really cool but when I see some guy with a boomstick I always run and hide... Well, unless they're close range and I'm hidden or something, in which I go for it and do spear flurry charge because those shotguns sell for like 500 big ones.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
18d9dff8-7cf2-4881-ac42-a82373fc5585.jpg

Finished Ace Combat Zero Belkan War
Amazing fucking game, the final mission it's perfect. The balkan war is the best thing that happened to video games, so many good games inspired by it. Bombing cities NATO style has it's charm.

This song plays as you have a 1 on 1 battle in the final mission. Too fucking good.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Amazing fucking game
I would recommend you play ace combat x for the psp after this,it is pretty good.
Does it have flamenco playing as you fight other aces?
Nope,but it has a dynamic campaign,interesting plane selection and customization and nice guitar rifs:

Might play it after whatever game i'll start now, don't wanna burn out even if they are fairly short games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
BTW since I'm now replaying monkey 1, there's an ultimate talkie edition that combines speech from the special edition and the original game graphics.

http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html
  • It builds a talkie version for DOS and ScummVM out of the Special Edition.
  • No dead ends.
  • Higher quality and some additional sound effects from the SE.
  • Music support for MT-32, brand new General MIDI and AdLib. Including Stan's theme and the extended LeChuck theme.
  • ScummVM support for both, the old CD audio tracks and the SE tracks.
  • Spiffy close-up.
  • Plenty of original bugs fixed.

You can compile it yourself from the above, or do a more extended search and find it somewhere™ already compiled. Speech was the best aspect of the SE, it was very well-made. SCUMMVM is probably the best way to play it.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Though I was never any damn good at RTS, I'm currently playing around with Supreme Commander because, damn it, it looks and feels so right. Waiting for a Steam sale to get the expansion and discover the community.
The addon is good and picks up the pace where the base game campaign ends. Multiplayer is kept alive by the Forged Alliance Forever team, https://www.faforever.com/.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Tales from candlekeep,a video game adoption of the dnd spin off board game.
It is boring as fuck.You literally explore the same boring tile sets until the end of the game.
There is no proper character customization or a proper inventory.You only get to change a couple of abilities at best.
Everything is a passive upgrade minus some items that act as abilities.

The difficulty is where things get interesting.Every single turn you face a bad even dice roll.This on paper encourage a constant pace in order to not die.
Unfortunately,it is mostly reactive with the only active component being the ability to spend some resource to negate the event.Classes don't influence any events.
Speaking of classes,every class can disable traps for some reason.And they are unbalanced hard. The bard sucks ass and the human/lizard can annihilate everything by themselves.There is only 5 classes in the game,how do you fuck that up.
I repeat,this is a video game where the majority of the gameplay is reacting to the events with rng dice rolls.Not a very good idea.
There is no way to create a strategy or interesting encounters because of dice rolls.

All of this would make sense if the level you are in is a a world where you have to rush through to the end with some knowledge what awaits you.
This would enable to formulate a strategy or something.Or just enable some interaction.
All you do here is take the tanky character and put him near the edge,which reveals the next square and potential enemies(which instantly attack,which is another stupid idea) and rinse and repeat until you finish your objective.

Difficulty choices are terrible because of rng. Easy is impossible to loose,hard is annoying and there will be run ends because of shit rng and the hardest difficulty is just praying to rng constantly. Speaking of difficulty,your heroes get a specific amount of resurrections.The problem is that they are wasted immediately on the hero who died.There is no situation where you maybe want to sacrifice the weaker guy in order to leave the rest for the tank.

Also it was made to be a mobile game and then shifted to pc. You have a lot of resources which you can use to passively upgrade your characters.
It is slow and grindy,exactly like a mobile game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Though I was never any damn good at RTS, I'm currently playing around with Supreme Commander because, damn it, it looks and feels so right. Waiting for a Steam sale to get the expansion and discover the community.
The addon is good and picks up the pace where the base game campaign ends. Multiplayer is kept alive by the Forged Alliance Forever team, https://www.faforever.com/.

I don't know why I had the sudden urge to take on an RTS as fairly deep and complex as this when I have no real aptitude for the genre. It's like diving into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim (which I literally actually did once in my childhood at my local Boys' Club; maybe that's the root of all wackiness for me and why I do it - childhood trauma). Maybe I should ease myself back into the genre in the kids' plastic wading pool with Myth II The Fallen Levels or something.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Etherlords 2, ala King's bounty if the combat was like Magic the Gathering.
I abandoned my previous playthrough, got distracted with something else at the time i think. Started all over again and i am having a good time.
I did notice one peculiar thing about the difficulty, mainly is that this game idea of difficulty is to pit you against enemies that can counter everything your shitty starting deck has. The only way to beat certain battles at the beginning, as i understand it, is to pray that your enemy will get a bad hand while you get a good one repeatedly. Between easy and normal the same enemies didn't even appear to be any different, the only difference is that easy difficulty gave me a few flying bugs to start with that made these fights a breeze.
Yeah, i don't feel dirty for playing on easy. Got a lot of cards to play with.

I remember the first Etherlords was more like a hybrid between HoMM and MtG. Wasn't a succesful experiment, methinks it was a poor idea to make it so that any card other than the shitty starting ones are finite(meanin you need to constantly send your heroes back to resupply). I am glad that the sequel removed this and focused more on card collection and duels.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I did notice one peculiar thing about the difficulty, mainly is that this game idea of difficulty is to pit you against enemies that can counter everything your shitty starting deck has.

Strongly disagreed. Most of the enemies you encounter with a starting deck have very little more than what you have. They only start really countering you with nasty shit a bit later down the line once you've earned a bunch of freebies and also got access to shops. For all cases where it seems like you're getting utterly wrecked, you have to examine your deck, their deck and adapt, usually there is a specific set of stuff that lets you win easily. Though the important caveat here is that you have to always buy all the new cards from all the shops you see to have access to these specific builds.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Roguebook,another slay the spire ripoff.
The dlc character requires you to find him.You have a limited amount of resources to actually open up the map and you can never fully explore it.
See the contradiction? Now apply this for finding items/healing and your runs are based on Rng. Much more then the usual card/rogue like combos.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Strongly disagreed. Most of the enemies you encounter with a starting deck have very little more than what you have.
That fucking Фингус(not the first one, second one) definitely wasn't limited to little more than what i had.
They only start really countering you with nasty shit a bit later down the line once you've earned a bunch of freebies and also got access to shops. For all cases where it seems like you're getting utterly wrecked, you have to examine your deck, their deck and adapt, usually there is a specific set of stuff that lets you win easily. Though the important caveat here is that you have to always buy all the new cards from all the shops you see to have access to these specific builds.
Figuring out how to deal with the tricky enemy is indeed the best part of the game. Found it a good rule to get at least 2 copies of each spell i come across, 3 if the spell is really useful.

Naraya

Arcane
For the last few days I've been playing Aliens Versus Predator (2010) by Rebellion. I finished it yesterday.
In the past I've played both AvP games quite a lot but for some reason I never got around to playing this one.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this game, though I did not expect much to start with.

Sure, there are signs of early consolitis like 5 smallish maps that are recycled in all 3 campaigns or simplistic controls but they do not detract from the game and it defends itself as a whole. There also are objective markers but they are more like hints - I never felt like someone holds my hand or railroads me to an objective.

I started with Predator. Nice but not overpowered toolbelt and different vision modes make playing this campaign as good as ever.
Then came the Marine campaign. The sense of dread, fragility and constant danger (even though yes, you can kind of melee aliens which is questionable) was palpable. All iconic stuff including the motion tracker and smartgun are in. In general, this campaign was the most tense.
I was pretty sure I wouldn't like playing as the Xenomorph since as a rule I don't like playing as overpowered monsters in games, here however it was surprisingly *fun* and refreshing. I felt definitely safer than playing a Marine and it was really cool to be able to swiftly leap and jump around the walls (however it can be a bit disorienting at start) and bite off the head of an adversary or harvest them.

I don't particularly care for ultra-realistic graphics (partly because I haven't upgraded my PC since 2015 and I'm still sporting a mere GTX 1060) but I really can't say a bad word about the graphical side of the game. It's dark, it's bleak, it's grimy but also can be vibrant (jungle). Lighting adds to the atmosphere and overall it is perfectly fine for my tastes.
Sound effects are quite impressive. You will be able to recognize every sound from the movies - alien hissing, predator roars and marine machine gun add to the mood and make adrenaline flow faster.
As for the AI - it's not FEAR level AI but I wouldn't say it's stupid. It can prove challenging, especially on higher difficulty modes. I also never felt it was cheating which to me is one of the most important aspects of a well-rounded AI (it is also one of the main reasons I don't care about Alien:Isolation).

I liked playing AvP a lot. One of my gripes is that it could've been longer (you can finish it in ~10-15 hours) and have more maps. I also didn't play any PvP so I have no idea if it's still active (probably not). In my book, it went up there to maybe top 5 post-2000 FPS games that I played.

:4/5:.5/5

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm currently playing SSI Pool of Radiance. My current party consists of 1 paladin, 2 rangers, thief, cleric, and magic user. The paladin and rangers are hacked in via Gold Box Companion. I'm working on clearing out the slums.

Gostak

Educated
recently:
ThieveryUT EU hours sees some online play.
Objects in Space
Streets of Rogue
A pirate quartermaster
tempted to have a play of Super Blood Hockey after a looong while again
might also do the same with Delta V/Rings of Saturn mayhaps
And the STALKER thread tempts me to continue playing that as well

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Tales of Xillia 2. Got all the endings. It has okay combat, with some fun boss battles, but overall, I feel like it's a fairly bog standard jrpg. Too many kids in the game.

I'm playing Avernum 6 on PC. I prefer A4, and A5 over this, but at the same time, it's interesting to see what has happened to areas that you visited in older games.

In Tower of Time, I am 100% done with the first two floors. Making good progress on the third floor. The dwarf packs a real punch, but has died more times than I care to admit. Currently, he feels like the melee equivalent to a glass cannon.

On console, I am mixing up Resonance of Fate sessions with Elden Ring sessions. It took me 15 minutes to understand one of the tutorials on RoF. Felt like a moron. Looked it up online, and it turns out that the tutorial could be better at explaining things. Still feel a bit stupid, though.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I beat Tales of Xillia 2. Got all the endings. It has okay combat, with some fun boss battles, but overall, I feel like it's a fairly bog standard jrpg. Too many kids in the game.

I'm playing Avernum 6 on PC. I prefer A4, and A5 over this, but at the same time, it's interesting to see what has happened to areas that you visited in older games.

In Tower of Time, I am 100% done with the first two floors. Making good progress on the third floor. The dwarf packs a real punch, but has died more times than I care to admit. Currently, he feels like the melee equivalent to a glass cannon.

On console, I am mixing up Resonance of Fate sessions with Elden Ring sessions. It took me 15 minutes to understand one of the tutorials on RoF. Felt like a moron. Looked it up online, and it turns out that the tutorial could be better at explaining things. Still feel a bit stupid, though.
You got me interested in Xilia, never played a Tales of game. How does it compare to others?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

You got me interested in Xilia, never played a Tales of game. How does it compare to others?
If you're going to play a 3D Tales game, either play Vesperia, Graces f, or Berseria.

Vesperia offers the best overall package. Graces f offers the best combat, but shitty story and characters. The combat was miles better than any 3D game in the series. Berseria is a decent game, too.

Xillia 1 is better than Xillia 2. Xillia 1 has more of an adventure feel to it. Xillia 2 has you clear up a debt you get early on in the game. You have a quest board where you do repetitive quests over and over. They share the same world(s), so it feels a bit like a cash grab. Dungeons are uninspired. There are big fields to explore, but in general, I just liked a couple of areas in both games. Combat is solid. I have no major complaints, but at the same time, it feels vety safe. It's fairly straightforward. ToX2 doesn't change much from the first game, other than giving the new character a super power available only to him, and a couple of bosses.
Most new characters added to the second game, I did not like.

If I were to recommend you a game in the series, Xillia would not be it. It's not worst in anything, it's not best in anything. I'd say try Berseria for a more modern Tales game. Graces f, I really enjoyed, but the anime tropes, and power of friendship are huge. Not something most codexers could stomach.
Vesperia has probably the best main character in the series, and is a safe bet (imo).

Be aware that I consider this series to be fast food of jrpgs. I like fast food every now and then.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

If you're going to play a 3D Tales game, either play Vesperia, Graces f, or Berseria.

Vesperia offers the best overall package. Graces f offers the best combat, but shitty story and characters. The combat was miles better than any 3D game in the series. Berseria is a decent game, too.

Xillia 1 is better than Xillia 2. Xillia 1 has more of an adventure feel to it. Xillia 2 has you clear up a debt you get early on in the game. You have a quest board where you do repetitive quests over and over. They share the same world(s), so it feels a bit like a cash grab. Dungeons are uninspired. There are big fields to explore, but in general, I just liked a couple of areas in both games. Combat is solid. I have no major complaints, but at the same time, it feels vety safe. It's fairly straightforward. ToX2 doesn't change much from the first game, other than giving the new character a super power available only to him, and a couple of bosses.
Most new characters added to the second game, I did not like.

If I were to recommend you a game in the series, Xillia would not be it. It's not worst in anything, it's not best in anything. I'd say try Berseria for a more modern Tales game. Graces f, I really enjoyed, but the anime tropes, and power of friendship are huge. Not something most codexers could stomach.
Vesperia has probably the best main character in the series, and is a safe bet (imo).

Be aware that I consider this series to be fast food of jrpgs. I like fast food every now and then.
I kinda understand where you are coming from with the fast food stuff, that's usually what happens when you get into a series during your childhood/teenage years and even if it's not that great you stick with it through the years, i have a couple like that too. I will take a look at tales of graces f.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom