Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

deuxhero

Arcane
Played Deus Ex and just finished Ocean Lab. Turns out the elevator down to the minisub has no way to bring it up down again. Luckily I remembered as I typed this out I can just swim out of the sub bay so this isn't a softlock.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
On console, I am mixing up Resonance of Fate sessions with Elden Ring sessions. It took me 15 minutes to understand one of the tutorials on RoF. Felt like a moron. Looked it up online, and it turns out that the tutorial could be better at explaining things. Still feel a bit stupid, though.

Should really dig my PS3 from the closet to finally finish Resonance of Fate. Confusion and feeling like an idiot is kind of the feeling I had when playing it at first as well. I think I've started it 2 or 3 times, but never finished the game.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Broken lines, a bad frozen synapse ww2 ripoff.

Generic not German soldier 1:"HANS,the enemy is attacking and killing our own,why are we watching from the high ground?"
Generic not German soldier 2:"Well Friedrick,the enemy obviously hasn't stepped through the invisible start encounter line and you know the rules."
Generic not German soldier 1:"Oh ja,you are right Hans,rules are rules."

Every single area feels like small micro arenas of enemies that you can trigger instead of a actual cohesive playground of destruction.
The pod system nullifies ambushes and is very stupid when you are literally blowing up stuff a couple of meters from a enemy on high ground but he doesn't trigger.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm replaying Toonstruck, which I haven't played since around the time it came out.

I loved the game back in the day and was sort of afraid that it'd be a disappointment to play again. But I actually love it. Now, in terms of gameplay and puzzles, it's not exactly great. In fact, parts of it are pretty bad (the quiz you have to answer on the phone for example). But I have to say that I'm really impressed with the writing, it's actually very funny and holds up extremely well. It's a bit overly talky at times but most of the dialogue is actually witty and very well acted as well. The setting works really well, especially when it goes into slightly adult, absurd territory like the sheep and cow practicing S&M.

The characters are an absolute delight and most of them are really fun to interact with.

In terms of games focusing on humor, I have to say that this one of the best still. And the cartoon cutscenes are still a delight to watch.

Krivol

Magister
After finishing Archolos, I decided to go and finish all Gothic games (1,2,3 - I'm thinking about ArcaniA, but it is not a Gothic game and is shit... I just want to see how creators handled old guys from the colony).

Finished G1 and it was good. Still, after wasting hundreds of hours on G2 (never finished TBH) and Archolos, G1 seems a bit... unfinished - low number of quests and feel of the unfinished game. Mind you, it's a great game, worth playing, with a good atmosphere and story. Everyone should play this ;) .

G2 is now in progress and... it's a superb game, but sometimes it feels like Hack'n'Slash game, with a lot of fights, and VoM is just filled with enemies. I hope it won't burn me out completely.

Testicules

Educated
Archolos. Starting fights with villagers, getting one-shotted by shadowbeasts, luring skeletons to town so guards can kill them and I can grab their high-level cave loot.

God damn it feels good to be playing Gothic again.

:love:

thesecret1

Arcane
Finished G1 and it was good. Still, after wasting hundreds of hours on G2 (never finished TBH) and Archolos, G1 seems a bit... unfinished
The old camp storyline always felt that way to me too, like it was rushed and not really throught through. It was still an amazing game though. I think the most incredible feel is when you're far into the game and start realizing just how incredibly small the map actually is, despite having felt pretty damn large up until then.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Trying out Digimon world 2 hardtype.
I can't beat the tutorial,it is that broken.Stats have been quadrupled and enemies have access to broken skills with unlimited mp.
That is very impressive. Even bad Pokemon romhacks have managed to somehow not break the tutorial.
Extra fuck you to the author for choosing specific types that directly counter you.In the tutorial,where you can't change your team.

Zenithsan

Educated
I'm playing Shadow Tower the Abyss for the second time, trying to 100% this time.
So I'm taking my time to appreciate every texture, enemy, weapon description, and piece of dialogue.

Just the first hour reminded me why this is my third favorite From Software game, such a great game design.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm enjoying Fallen Order quite a bit.

People who liked the Tomb Raider reboot or Uncharted are probably the most direct audience: impressive visuals, elaborate but streamlined platforming, constant dialogues and cutscenes, railroaded main story where the areas you traverse are full of (obvious) secrets that might require a revisit when you get new tools and moves, etc.

It does have some Souls-ish DNA but beyond marketing fluff it's really a stretch to make a big deal out of it.

People interested in Star Wars 3D platformers might also be interested in Lethal Alliance, either on DS or on PSP.
Funny, I could never force myself to play the first game of the new Tomb Raider for more than an hour or two but I liked Fallen Order a lot. Not a great game by normal standards, but compared to most of the shit released in the last decade it's pretty good.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The new Monkey Island talk made me re-play The Secret of Monkey Island. I'm debating whether I want to play the sequel right away next.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Still playing Warlords Battlecry III and wow, has this game got its hooks into me despite being so buggy that if you use one of it's offered features - a Patrol function - it actually crashes within a few seconds, 5 minutes at the most (this is a reproducible bug that I discovered on two different computers when I was chasing my tail trying to troubleshoot all the crashing thinking it was my config) but I'm really digging it. It has enormous depth and some of the early battles feature a boss so powerful she can decimate your entire army with just one or two spells.; at least in the Protectors mod she does. In fact, i had to go back to vanilla because I had bitten off more than I could chew for someone who's not only a noob to the series but has only played about 3 or 4 RTS games in all my years of gaming and never to completion. I have this feeling though that if you master this game, you master any RTS. The base building is fun and involving and once I figured out how to group different army types together then easily select them with a shortcut key, it gave the game a huge QoL boost for me.

Tip: be sure to RTFM because the in-game tutorials don't tell you nearly enough, like optimizing your hero by using aligned allied characters. I'm playing as a druid; a physically weak, squishy character but with decent killing spells. Share your tips if you wish.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Styx: Master of Shadows. It was being sold for peanuts on GOG, so I decided to give it a try. It's surprisingly fun and the level design is great, despite the clear lack of budget. Pity about that repetition everyone talks about, but I'm looking forward to playing the sequel once I'm done with this one.

The Council. The beginning of the game was a bit underwhelming, what with those godawful animations and corny voice acting, but the dialogue system shows quite a bit of promise (I'm still on the very first chapter).

I've also gotten back to Pool of Radiance. Maybe I'll finally finish it this time.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Salt and Sanctuary: pretty much a dark souls in a 2d platformer. Awesome combat and like souls its hard. I know ppl hate souls like games, but this one is actually good. Highly recommend.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm enjoying Fallen Order quite a bit.

People who liked the Tomb Raider reboot or Uncharted are probably the most direct audience: impressive visuals, elaborate but streamlined platforming, constant dialogues and cutscenes, railroaded main story where the areas you traverse are full of (obvious) secrets that might require a revisit when you get new tools and moves, etc.

It does have some Souls-ish DNA but beyond marketing fluff it's really a stretch to make a big deal out of it.

People interested in Star Wars 3D platformers might also be interested in Lethal Alliance, either on DS or on PSP.
Funny, I could never force myself to play the first game of the new Tomb Raider for more than an hour or two but I liked Fallen Order a lot. Not a great game by normal standards, but compared to most of the shit released in the last decade it's pretty good.

I can't say I ever thought about Tomb Raider while playing Fallen Order. Good game though. The sequel will be a definite purchase for me.

JDR13

Arcane
Finished G1 and it was good. Still, after wasting hundreds of hours on G2 (never finished TBH) and Archolos, G1 seems a bit... unfinished
The old camp storyline always felt that way to me too, like it was rushed and not really throught through. It was still an amazing game though. I think the most incredible feel is when you're far into the game and start realizing just how incredibly small the map actually is, despite having felt pretty damn large up until then.

True, but the map wasn't really that small for a 3D game in 2001.

I still love Gothic, but it's borderline unplayable to me now without some texture mods and the DX11 patch.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I finished Enderal and it was excellent.

After that, I finished FoxTail, the first three chapters. It was very good. Very charming and genuinely sweet in the way old adventures were. The developer is fighting in the Ukraine though so the next chapter might not be for a while.

Now I'm playing a game I always wanted to, but forgot for 15 years or maybe 20: Hexplore. It runs on my work PC on Wine so I play whenever something is compiling.

v1rus

Arcane
Still playing Warlords Battlecry III and wow, has this game got its hooks into me despite being so buggy that if you use one of it's offered features - a Patrol function - it actually crashes within a few seconds, 5 minutes at the most (this is a reproducible bug that I discovered on two different computers when I was chasing my tail trying to troubleshoot all the crashing thinking it was my config) but I'm really digging it. It has enormous depth and some of the early battles feature a boss so powerful she can decimate your entire army with just one or two spells.; at least in the Protectors mod she does. In fact, i had to go back to vanilla because I had bitten off more than I could chew for someone who's not only a noob to the series but has only played about 3 or 4 RTS games in all my years of gaming and never to completion. I have this feeling though that if you master this game, you master any RTS. The base building is fun and involving and once I figured out how to group different army types together then easily select them with a shortcut key, it gave the game a huge QoL boost for me.

Tip: be sure to RTFM because the in-game tutorials don't tell you nearly enough, like optimizing your hero by using aligned allied characters. I'm playing as a druid; a physically weak, squishy character but with decent killing spells. Share your tips if you wish.

I fucking love this game. The hero mechanic was brilliant, and Im honestly surprised it spawned no copycats/refinements of the idea.

I played the unpatched game, but, tbh, found the campaign easily abused. Just take a good general, add it to your retinue, and you can 4-man every mission. IIRC, I spammed the Dark Elven general, High elven general, and Dwarven General (good against towers.) Theres also that unique chance in campaign to add a "special" unit to retinue, which also breaks everything down. The demon and vampire general were also fun. Sadly, the game can be broken, quite easily. I remember playing an archmage (I also played a druid, found archmage superior because of the greater spell selection, and thus, ability to abuse) and really, all I ever did was summon thousands of workers with the summoning school, place them in mines, convert asap, and that research tech while the hero and retinue slaughtered everything in their way. Still, an awesome, super fun game.

Krivol

Magister
Quickly? When I posted last time I was in 2nd act already (and after Jarkendar). After that stuff went smoothly, I finished G2 after +/- 70 hrs. Claw of Beliar (and scrolls with fire rain) helped a lot in leveling ;).

Oh and the undead dragon glitched, so I killed him with a crossbow without any problem (so pumping up STR and 1handed weapon 'for the last fight' was useless :P ) but TBH I just wanted to finish that ASAP.

Great game! Oh and going back to the size of the world - Khorinis is not that big either, from the city to Onar's farm or even to the temple ruins you can run in like 2-3 minutes I believe (well if you are not killed by monsters on the road), VoM in G2 is much smaller than in G1 (palisade is blocking a good part of this), Jarkendar is also small but with plenty of valleys, Irdorath is... well... meh I believe.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Verdun is free for a few days and on sale. I like it so I bought the 4 pack for 15 dollars.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I fucking love this game. The hero mechanic was brilliant, and Im honestly surprised it spawned no copycats/refinements of the idea.

I played the unpatched game, but, tbh, found the campaign easily abused. Just take a good general, add it to your retinue, and you can 4-man every mission. IIRC, I spammed the Dark Elven general, High elven general, and Dwarven General (good against towers.) Theres also that unique chance in campaign to add a "special" unit to retinue, which also breaks everything down. The demon and vampire general were also fun. Sadly, the game can be broken, quite easily. I remember playing an archmage (I also played a druid, found archmage superior because of the greater spell selection, and thus, ability to abuse) and really, all I ever did was summon thousands of workers with the summoning school, place them in mines, convert asap, and that research tech while the hero and retinue slaughtered everything in their way. Still, an awesome, super fun game.

Sometimes being grossly overpowered in a game can be all kinds of fun. Now generals are something they don't teach you how to make in the in-game tutorials, only in the manual, so I spent a good part of the early game being curb-stomped by every low-level wanna-be dragonguard dick that came along. Omnipotent mage characters were always my favorite to play in NWN so I should play one here. Did you try the Protectors mod? It ended up annoying me to no end because of the difficulty ramp (even on Easy) since they use a severe gimping mechanic (only lvl 1 keeps permitted until you find the upgrades on the map while the enemy factions have no such restrictions) and I wanted the intended experience for my first play through so I went back to vanilla. But it might be a challenge for Warlords Battlecry vets like you that helps cut down on the cheesing.

Krivol

Magister
Verdun is free for a few days and on sale. I like it so I bought the 4 pack for 15 dollars.
Yet Tannenberg is still expensive :( .

Anyone who never played that - it's great (yet slow and realistic in many ways, like 1 bullet usually means you are dead, so if this is not your kind of game - avoid) online shooter, take it and try it now!

jackofshadows

Magister
Gave a little shot to Dune Spice Wars. Eh, I think this could be fun in multiplayer but definitely not in sp. Also, art-style is total crap. Music too. All in all looks like a mobile game which isn't necessarily a bad thing like I said but if someone was waiting for the new Dune game - forget about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom