Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Ultima 4 is a wacky ass game.

I answered the question earnestly and ended up with a ranger. Not sure this is a good thing or not. I entered Skara Brae, talked to everybody, couldn't get anyone to join me, gave money to the bums, figured out the mantra thing, talked to the ankh and got the hint. No idea what to do next. Waited around for a moongate. I wonder about in a continent, killing orcs and thieves, find a town called Valern or something. I bought some gems, I hope those are peer gems. No hecking idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

THIS is an RPG. :5/5:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Just finished Mission Critical. It was excellent. See the Adventure game forum for my review.

mission-127.png

Now going though American McGee's Alice, which is a blast. The level design and music are superb.

20220605001908-1.jpg

20220605002433-1.jpg

Naraya

Arcane
Bit the bullet and bought Quake Enhanced. "Machine" map packs are simply glorious and once again reaffirm my opinion that Quake is THE best FPS game ever created.

I've now also almost completed The Punishment Due map pack and jeez, the title is so apt... Monsters DO hurt and I'm pretty sure their behaviour is tweaked in this mod to be more deadly. For instance, Ogres are even more ridiculous than usual in lobbing grenades, Vore homing missiles are more intelligent and Death Knight's ranged attack covers wider arc so it's harder to dodge. I highly recommend this pack!

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finished Ashes: Afterglow on Survival difficulty.

Friendship ended with Fallout. Now Ashes is my best friend. :love:

Zlaja

Arcane
Now tossing up whether to purchase Risen 2 or have another crack at Gothic 3.

If you've already played Gothic 3, then you should skip Risen 2 and get Risen 3 instead. Risen 2 is by far the worst in the series. Risen 3 on the other hand is decent and underrated on the Codex. Not as good as the first half of R1, but an improvement over R2. Game also has a few really hilarious moments, like the one where you can use voodoo to mind control a guard and then interrogate a prisoner and prank him. Had me in stitches.

curds

Magister

If you've already played Gothic 3, then you should skip Risen 2 and get Risen 3 instead. Risen 2 is by far the worst in the series. Risen 3 on the other hand is decent and underrated on the Codex. Not as good as the first half of R1, but an improvement over R2. Game also has a few really hilarious moments, like the one where you can use voodoo to mind control a guard and then interrogate a prisoner and prank him. Had me in stitches.
I've heard mixed reports about R2/R3. Some agree with you, but others say R2 is the underrated gem while R3 is the turd. Besides that, if I'm playing a series I would never skip over an entry based purely on word of mouth (like what often happens to DS2 and STALKER Clear Sky). I like to find out for myself if something is shit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

I've heard mixed reports about R2/R3. Some agree with you, but others say R2 is the underrated gem while R3 is the turd. Besides that, if I'm playing a series I would never skip over an entry based purely on word of mouth (like what often happens to DS2 and STALKER Clear Sky). I like to find out for myself if something is shit.
If you haven't played The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos, do it now. It's on par with G1 & G2 NOTR and far better than anything else Piranha bytes has made.

curds

Magister
If you haven't played The Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos, do it now. It's on par with G1 & G2 NOTR and far better than anything else Piranha bytes has made.
I started it the other day. Played for 9 hours straight in my first session. I was originally waiting for a mate to finish G2 so we could experience Archolos for the first time together, but in the time he's taken to start G2, I beat that game, had a solid crack at G3, and beat Risen. So fuck him.

It is indeed very good, though I rate it below the original Gothics. Might be just as well crafted as those games, if not better, but I think nostalgia wins in the end. It just doesn't quite reach the atmosphere of the originals, IMO. It's better than Risen, though.

It's amazingly content-rich, which I adore. I know some people find it un-immersive when you can't walk 10 steps without bumping into a quest, but that's something I love in an RPG. That first 9 hour session was spent almost entirely within one village.

Also, the secret-behind-the-waterfall approach of Piranha Bytes is cranked up to 11 in this game.

elverkongen

Learned
Just finished Mission Critical. It was excellent. See the Adventure game forum for my review.

mission-127.png

Now going though American McGee's Alice, which is a blast. The level design and music are superb.

20220605001908-1.jpg

20220605002433-1.jpg

I can't seem to find Alice anywhere - Steam, GOG.. is it PC?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
You can get an Origin copy of the original Alice with the Madness Returns Complete Collection. It's only available on third party resellers like G2A and at least for my pocket it's way too expensive.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity

mission-127.png

20220605001908-1.jpg

20220605002433-1.jpg

I can't seem to find Alice anywhere - Steam, GOG.. is it PC?

You can play the old Alice if you have the sequel, Alice: Madness Returns. You can get that on Steam. Someone is hosting the old game files for public download, which you can add to a dir and edit some files, which allows to launch Alice 1 from the main menu of Madness Returns.

See this thread on Steam how to do it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1940077685

Copied from that thread:

1. Download and install Alice:Madness Returns from Steam
2. Run the game at least once
3. Download Alice1 from this link:

* https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1P54riPxUKFMFYR8ifhoK30xx89nSzfRK?usp=sharing
4. Copy the Alice1 folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Alice Madness Returns
5. Go to C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config
6. Look for AliceEngine.ini file
7. Edit it with notepad,replace the entire [AliceGame.AliceGameEngine] seection with these lines:

[AliceGame.AliceGameEngine]
Alice1Path=..\..\Alice1\bin
GIsSpecialPCEdition=TRUE
8. Launch Alice:Madness Returns again
9. Select option to play American McGee's Alice

HansDampf

Arcane
My resolution for this American Summer is to play through some of the Squad-Tactics/TRPGS/MilSims/Autism Enablers this place holds sacrosanct, starting with Silent Storm.

Fun stuff, I will admit that as someone who'd only really played both Nu-XCOMs before touching this that the Point Bank, Fire Mode and Stance System took a few hours to integrate into muscle memory. There's also some inherent jank with audio mixing and sightlines; several fireplaces are so loud I thought the buildings containing them were on fire and the Wehrmacht have mastered the art of blending in among the corpses of their fallen comrades. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying my time with it, though I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to mod a save mid-campaign; the Swiss Factory with those walking refrigerators and my incompetent engineer are making me rethink some things. Guess I'll save that for the Axis run.

I think Steam updated the listing for S2 and S3 sometime after I bought them, rolling the latter into the former as part of their Gold Edition, no idea how to access Sentinels from that but I'm assuming it'll unlock after I beat the first campaign.

Wondering if I oughtta begin with Jagged Alliance or Jagged Alliance 2 after that, the two look worlds apart.
Start with JA2. I remember, when I tried JA1 a few years ago, all I could think of was: "Why am I not playing JA2 again instead?"
But don't install the 1.13 mod for your first playthrough (or ever). It's so bloated, you'll spend more time digging through all the options, not knowing what any of it means, than actually playing or even finishing the game. Just install Straccialtella. The game has enough depth and complexity as it is. You can give 1.13 a try after you finished the game at least once.

Zenithsan

Educated
I finished Choro Q HG 2, now trying to 100%

This section is a fucking whore

Played Choro Q HG 1 a few hours, not an adventure game.
Just plain racing. It's okay.

latest

Also played Choro Q HG 3.

That's a bit of an odd game. It's an adventure game. But with big interconnected maps instead of an open world.
Think of the overworld of Crash Team Racing, but with npcs and quests.

The progression is more rpg-esque because you start REALLY BAD and every new piece of gear is very impactful.

But ultimately the racing is super barebones and awkward, I never felt good racing here, even with all the upgrades.

The writing is better, more interesting. One quest, you have to recruit different musician cars to make a band, and every member has to blend well with the other instruments. So you put the metal guitar with the heavy drums and so on. Pretty fun stuff.

latest

Now for the last main series game in PS2, I tried Choro Q HG 4.

That was the worst one of all.

The racing is better, more fluid, more fun. But the world and adventure is long gone. Instead of that, you have a glorified menu in the form of a square city.

You gain like 800 gold every race and some parts are like 20k. Just not worth the grind.

61AVSV4C2ZL._SY445_.jpg

Now I'm halfway through with The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Love the dialogues and the atmosphere.
Perhaps the best movie related game I ever played.

114844-the-chronicles-of-riddick-escape-from-butcher-bay-windows.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I started Fallout: New Vegas (more like a test play rather than an actual dedicated playthrough, we’ll see).

It’s so hard to play. Everything is completely different compared to F1/2. There’s so much shite everywhere, and it’s triggering me. Music, graphics, and gameplay. Playing with JAawyer’s patch.

WHERE IS GIFTED AT, HUH?

Its almost worth playing for the story and quests... well almost its still shity Fallout 3/Oblivion engine after all.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I made it 50 hours into Total War: Warhammer before I found myself curious about the Wood Elves and the Norsce. I am pretty sure I can just wait for them to go on sale because although this dev does good work they are also scummy and I really don't like giving them my money. 15 bucks for the base game which should be much cheaper already annoyed me enough.

Ivan

Arcane
CrossCode

an enjoyable action RPG that's visually reminiscnet of Chrono Trigger. The conceit of the game is that it takes place in an MMO game world, so they can excuse having formulaic/boring fedex quests and shit like that. Gameplay is solid, featuring real time combat, huge skill tree, the game's carried by its cute music, presentation. I particularly enjoy the puzzle heavy dungeons. I could see myself dropping it, seeing it as a sort of comfort food on my plate before the steam summer sale.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I shelfed Resonance of Fate after 70 hours. I was no longer having fun for the past five hours. Some of these side quests are not fun at all. The combat itself is fine, but some spikes in difficulty are too much. It's less of a be good situation, and more of a, please grind situation.

I might come back just to do the main story.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I played a few hours of Fury of Dracula Digital Edition in single player,it's a good adaptation of the boardgame,the main issue I had is that the vampire hunters' AI isn't that good,Dracula's was better imho.I haven't played the multiplayer so I dodn't know how good the netcode is.If you like the boardgame or want to try it check it out if it's on sale

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom