Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

axx

Savant
Bought Noita on GOG and having fun.
Also after years I'm playing Escape goat again.

Ivan

Arcane
I shelfed Resonance of Fate after 70 hours. I was no longer having fun for the past five hours. Some of these side quests are not fun at all. The combat itself is fine, but some spikes in difficulty are too much. It's less of a be good situation, and more of a, please grind situation.

I might come back just to do the main story.
kudos on knowing when to quit something that's past its best

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Ultima 4 really is a lot easier once you look at the map instead of just wondering around like an idiot. It's cool that most of the world map is immediately available for the player. I thought I was advancing fast because I found a couple of runes and meditated on the shrines, but now a NPC told me about the stones so I guess there's way more to this game than I assumed. I have a four character party already and I still haven't visited all the towns, at least I'm doing well on that front. I wish the moongates didn't take so hecking long to show up.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Ultima 4 really is a lot easier once you look at the map instead of just wondering around like an idiot. It's cool that most of the world map is immediately available for the player. I thought I was advancing fast because I found a couple of runes and meditated on the shrines, but now a NPC told me about the stones so I guess there's way more to this game than I assumed. I have a four character party already and I still haven't visited all the towns, at least I'm doing well on that front. I wish the moongates didn't take so hecking long to show up.
One aspect of the Ultima games I find myself continuously praising is the open ended nature of world exploration. From the get go you have access to most of the game-world with the only exceptions being logical and well choreographed.

SumDrunkGuy

I messed around a little bit with Cyberpunk 2077. I suppose it's not the worst thing ever made. I'll give it a chance...

Cael

Arcane
The moongates are tied to the moons' phases, but the timing of the phase shift is dependent on your machine's speed. On modern computers, it should be pretty fast...

spockthewok

Novice
Unironically, Fable: TLC.

Is it a good RPG?
No.

Does it have any sort of difficulty or challenge?
No.

Is it a comfy game with a great soundtrack and lots of charm?
Definitely.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Got gifted Besiege.

Was surprised you get all building parts from the beginning with no limitation. But the difficulty ramps up quickly and having all tools at hand is a necessity. Also doesn't limit creativity in any way which is good.
Challenges vary a lot and you have to adapt and sometimes think out of the box. Sometimes brute force works well too. The games does a good job at introducing new concepts with minimum fuss.

It is also very comfy and charming, nice music and visual, and very snappy. I'm now in the middle of the third island and I'm still having fun.

Curratum

I seem to have become something of a Rebellion fanboy, in addition to a third-person casualish shooter fanboy, both of which I find to be very out-of-character things for me.

SumDrunkGuy

I dropped Cyberpunk like a bad habit. Not that I hated it or anything but I got back into playin Conan Exiles and I'm hooked. It's got that same sense of aimless adventure that Zelda: BOTW and Elden Ring have. I absolutely adore that kind of open world RPG. No fuckin arrows telling me where I need to go. MORE games like these plz!

Machocruz

Arcane
I dropped Cyberpunk like a bad habit. Not that I hated it or anything but I got back into playin Conan Exiles and I'm hooked. It's got that same sense of aimless adventure that Zelda: BOTW and Elden Ring have. I absolutely adore that kind of open world RPG. No fuckin arrows telling me where I need to go. MORE games like these plz!

Hell yeah, just started it this weekend. The Xbox version on Game Pass cloud though, so no bare ass for me. At first I thought it was too aimless and not sure if I would continue past getting a small home, armor bench and leather armor, until I sacked up and started venturing further north instead of staying south of the river like a little bitch. Started finding all sorts of cool shit including a yuge iron deposit directly north of my starter camp. Think I'll set up a major camp there and get all my iron gear knocked out. Lots of antelope, hyenas, and stone to mine. Fuck I wasted so much time running east to find iron. So far I think they nailed the atmosphere of the Conan desert adventures.

SumDrunkGuy

Hell yeah, just started it this weekend. The Xbox version on Game Pass cloud though, so no bare ass for me. At first I thought it was too aimless and not sure if I would continue past getting a small home, armor bench and leather armor, until I sacked up and started venturing further north instead of staying south of the river like a little bitch. Started finding all sorts of cool shit including a yuge iron deposit directly north of my starter camp. Think I'll set up a major camp there and get all my iron gear knocked out. Lots of antelope, hyenas, and stone to mine. Fuck I wasted so much time running east to find iron. So far I think they nailed the atmosphere of the Conan desert adventures.

Tbf you're probably having an immensely smoother experience with it than I am. Unpatched the game is a complete mess. Just today it froze on me 4 times and crashed about 3 times. It just crashed on me now as a matter of fact while I was in the middle of a huge battle inside a temple. I've also had my corpse disappear a few times so it was impossible for me to recover my items. But whatever, the sacrifice must be made. I refuse to give up my tiddies and arse.

Fuckin game did it to me again. I got overwhelmed and died, and when I rerurned to my body it just fell through the earth or some shit so I lost all my stuff. If this was any other game I'd lose my shit but you can build your stuff back pretty quick so whatever. Helps that I have a giant stockpile of resources at one of my safe houses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Attempting to play Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition because I want to stretch and showcase my RTX card. I heard it was open world, but WOW; going by the first 30 minutes or so, it feels like one long cut scene or barely interactive movie that makes even weeboo games feel reserved. I've never played a game like this that was so bad with that. Does it get any better or should I just quit? I was playing on Extreme settings but this is the first game I ever played where I actually lowered my settings to Ultra because the game is so drab and washed-out looking (despite running at 60+ FPS for me on my GTX 3070) because it helped cut down on the ugliness. Though it's the first Metro game I tried, Stalker it ain't, kids

Machocruz

Arcane

Tbf you're probably having an immensely smoother experience with it than I am. Unpatched the game is a complete mess. Just today it froze on me 4 times and crashed about 3 times. It just crashed on me now as a matter of fact while I was in the middle of a huge battle inside a temple. I've also had my corpse disappear a few times so it was impossible for me to recover my items. But whatever, the sacrifice must be made. I refuse to give up my tiddies and arse.

Fuckin game did it to me again. I got overwhelmed and died, and when I rerurned to my body it just fell through the earth or some shit so I lost all my stuff. If this was any other game I'd lose my shit but you can build your stuff back pretty quick so whatever. Helps that I have a giant stockpile of resources at one of my safe houses.
No technical problems at all. Just the usual hiccups of forgetting to place a bedroll and getting gangbanged by hyenas

SumDrunkGuy

No technical problems at all. Just the usual hiccups of forgetting to place a houses.
No technical problems at all. Just the usual hiccups of forgetting to place a bedroll and getting gangbanged by hyenas

Have you made the medium armor yet? It looks dope.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Attempting to play Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition because I want to stretch and showcase my RTX card. I heard it was open world, but WOW; going by the first 30 minutes or so, it feels like one long cut scene or barely interactive movie that makes even weeboo games feel reserved. I've never played a game like this that was so bad with that. Does it get any better or should I just quit?
Exodus is split into chapters and each chapter has a vastly different pacing.

The prologue is an on-rails CoD-like sequence, the first chapter on Volga is a semi-open world STALKER-lite, the second chapter on Caspian sea is Far Cry-lite where you clear bandit outposts, the third chapter is Dishonored-like where you must use stealth to traverse a non-linear terrain, and then the game ends with another on-rails sequence.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Attempting to play Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition because I want to stretch and showcase my RTX card. I heard it was open world, but WOW; going by the first 30 minutes or so, it feels like one long cut scene or barely interactive movie that makes even weeboo games feel reserved. I've never played a game like this that was so bad with that. Does it get any better or should I just quit?
Exodus is split into chapters with vastly different pacing. The prologue is an on-rails CoD-like sequence, the first chapter on Volga is a semi-open world STALKER-lite, the second chapter on Caspian sea is Far Cry-lite where you clear bandit outposts, the third chapter is Dishonored-like where you must use stealth to traverse a non-linear terrain, and then the game ends with another on-rails sequence.
Well, thanks for that sum-up. It seems like I should continue then since the other games you mentioned (but not CoD) are the types I actually like. In fact, I just finished Far Cry 6 and as bad as it is compared to FC 1-4, I enjoyed it, though it can only be played with the mod that nixes regenerating health. It also did ray-tracing right, imo, and it's my first game that really showed off what it's all about. It's a shame that Metro Exodus seems much less impressive in that area, but since I'm still in the prologue maybe that gets better too. I really should be playing OGSR instead but I'm waiting for a new large screen TV to go on sale that has g-sync and will allow tear-free smooth(er) gameplay at 120 FPS. For some reason, that old xEngine, even x64, runs terribly for me at anything less than 120 Hz. Must be the early implementation of DirectX 11/12.

Lorebrok

Educated
I waste too much time on valorant because of friends. Otherwise Im actually considering trying ironman on poe1.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
In fact, I just finished Far Cry 6 and as bad as it is compared to FC 1-4, I enjoyed it, though it can only be played with a mod

That's every Far Cry game that's ever been released, even 1.
You talking about the regenerating health thing? Funny, I don't remember that in earlier entries in the series but I don't doubt you. One problem with FC6 is how its entire loot/weapon upgrade mechanic is based on acquiring "Supremo" weapons which are ridiculously overpowered so I thought I'd try to play with as few of them as possible. Bad idea since some of the higher-level combat content sometimes seems balanced around them and you might find it a struggle to do without. The game has way too many tower defense sequences too compared to previous entries. I hate tower defense. However, it was enjoyable seeing Gus from the Better Call Saul-verse as the main baddie where they don't even dare change his real-life appearance. The ending was unexpectedly grim for a FC game with more than just the main villain being vanquished or killed. I don't regret my time with it and I've even been playing some of the post main game content though I finally had my fill yesterday, I think. and want/need something else now. But what? That iz zee question.

Puukko

Arcane
Been playing Chorus on game pass, psychic dogfighting in space. I've been positively surprised by it, the combat is fast and solid and very tight to control. You get stuff like short distance teleportation and a drifting maneuver that takes a bit to learn. Story has some interesting hooks and while the MC looks like she could fit in a cinematic Soyny experience, there's actual character development there. You're essentially playing as a psychic former cultist who oopsie'd a few billion people and struggles with some inner demons while now fighting said cult. Not really a fan of her physical design though.

The game seems well polished and looks good while being well optimized. Fast, snappy vehicular action at a high framerate is a killer combo.

BruceVC

Magister
I have just finished my second play through of Oblivion with mods. I spent about 240 hours on the game and it scores a 80/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "

Mods like Maskars Overhaul and Ultimate Levelling really address all the shortfalls like level scaling and Ultimate Levelling makes advancement based on XP so its makes exploring and questing both rewarding and worthwhile

Now Im faced with that exciting question that only us gamers get to answer " what to play next " and I have many options from my long list of unplayed GOG and Steam games :salute:

Codex Year of the Donut
I have just finished my second play through of Oblivion with mods. I spent about 240 hours on the game and it scores a 80/100 on the globally respected " BruceVC game rating system "

Mods like Maskars Overhaul and Ultimate Levelling really address all the shortfalls like level scaling and Ultimate Levelling makes advancement based on XP so its makes exploring and questing both rewarding and worthwhile

Now Im faced with that exciting question that only us gamers get to answer " what to play next " and I have many options from my long list of unplayed GOG and Steam games :salute:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sureais-new-project-enderal-the-shards-of-order.73191/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom