Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
snip Seiklus snip
One of my all time favorite game is Knytt, a similar looking and maybe playing exploration game, so your post really pumped me up. I gave it a quick try but the controls really are wonky. It feels there is a small lag while jumping that is really annoying. Plus there seems to be a heavy use of invisible platforms and traps. Not a big fan I Wanna Be The Guy type games, so I don't think I'll carry on.
Thanks for the head up anyway, was worth a try.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are exactly three instances of invisible platforms in Seiklus (two minor and one major) and if you can find the correct treasure first, the platforms are revealed to you (but are still kinda hard to spot).

The traps are another matter, but I'm thinking it's mostly the caves. Again, find the proper treasure (hint, go upwards where there doesn't appear to be a passage) and the traps will be revealed to you.

There is nothing difficult about Seiklus, you only have to be patient and perservere. It's not like you can die in this game anyway...

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh ok, if you can have them revealed I will try again, I'm a sucker for this kind of laid-back exploration games.

Zenithsan

Educated
I'm playing Matsuno's Dark Souls
SLUS-01040-2022-06-23-00-18-18.png

El Pollo Diablo

Educated
I just finished Bard's tale IV (Director's Cut) and, oh boy, what a mixed bag. The initial impression was absolutely horrible. The overworld exploration feels like it was made by a 12-year-old with the Unity engine and an asset pack (not saying all Unity engine games are like that, some do manage to have an unique feel, but this one is not among them). The map design is on the same level of sophistication with invisible walls, unopenable doors, parts of the map you can see but can't reach, clearly unfinished areas etc. in abundance. And it's all filled with the most generic puzzles the "designers" could think of. Legend of Grimrock this is not. The only aspect of the game that appears to have any actual effort put into it is the combat system, but even that feels clunky and more like a pile of random ideas than a coherent thing some of the time.

Yet despite all of the above, I'd be lying if I said I didn't get any enjoyment out of it. I like solving puzzles, even if they are generic ones. And I did get some enjoyment out of combat as well. Hard difficulty hit that sweet spot of character progression for me where I was struggling with some of the encounters early in the game, but as my characters levelled up and I became more familiar with the system I ended up with a pretty powerful party that could handle all of the challenges later in the game easily (well, except for Redcap. I'd have to reroll my characters for that one).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle a few moments ago. While it is fairly easy compared to other turn-based tactics games, it still offers a decent enough challenge in some fights. But overall, it wasn't too hard. You just need to be careful about the movement and placement of characters. I did die a couple of times (only one game over) because I overestimated the capability of my characters, and underestimated the strength of some enemies. You have enemies that you need to attack from the back, or the sides. You can dash into enemies for damage, and Mario can jump on enemies for damage. There are some melee enemies that will move closer if you attack them, and they hit pretty hard. Some enemies drag you closer, and a few more types. Boss fights were fun, with the final fight being the best in the game. It was in this fight that I got my first and only game over. The fight consists of three phases. I focused the boss, and didn't go for the goons. The only problem is that there are more goons summoned for each phase. On my first attempt, there were simply too many goons on the map. The way I played, it was basically impossible to win the third phase. On my second and successful try, I beat the goons for every phase, before moving on. Much easier, a cakewalk, even.

It was fun enough that I might get the sequel (when on sale).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I beat Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle a few moments ago. While it is fairly easy compared to other turn-based tactics games, it still offers a decent enough challenge in some fights. But overall, it wasn't too hard. You just need to be careful about the movement and placement of characters. I did die a couple of times (only one game over) because I overestimated the capability of my characters, and underestimated the strength of some enemies. You have enemies that you need to attack from the back, or the sides. You can dash into enemies for damage, and Mario can jump on enemies for damage. There are some melee enemies that will move closer if you attack them, and they hit pretty hard. Some enemies drag you closer, and a few more types. Boss fights were fun, with the final fight being the best in the game. It was in this fight that I got my first and only game over. The fight consists of three phases. I focused the boss, and didn't go for the goons. The only problem is that there are more goons summoned for each phase. On my first attempt, there were simply too many goons on the map. The way I played, it was basically impossible to win the third phase. On my second and successful try, I beat the goons for every phase, before moving on. Much easier, a cakewalk, even.

I played some of this but put it down not far into it because I can't stand the rabbids. Some of the most annoying characters ever created. You post makes me think I should give it another shot some time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I played some of this but put it down not far into it because I can't stand the rabbids. Some of the most annoying characters ever created. You post makes me think I should give it another shot some time.
I mean, if you have it, and didn't hate the gameplay, give it another shot. I didn't have much of an opinion on the Rabbids.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm replaying New Vegas and also playing Duke Nukem 3D.

With New Vegas, I've pretty much finished my mod setup. All I'm doing now is rebalance food items as I play through the game, because I knew that they were unbalanced. What I didn't know is that their value was also fucked. Rebalancing them and also making many of them (reasonably) more expensive makes economy and the game considerably harder.

I'm enjoying Duke Nukem 3D, but I would lie if I said I don't miss "pain frames" from Doom. Often it feels like enemies shrug my attacks. It sucks that Holoduke is only ever useful in multiplayer, because it's a neat gimmick.

Arbiter

Scholar
Playing Dark Sun: Shattered Lands for the first time. I cleared Dagolar's lair before my holidays and now I am returning to the game. Read all guides on GOG on how to avoid the game breaking bug at the end.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Picked up UFO Aftermath and Aftershock during the steam sale. Aftermath is pretty neat so far. It's slow and a little jank, but I like the gameplay and the mutant design is nice.
The strategy layer is an interesting take on the xcom system. You have multiple bases, but you have to specialize them to be either research, engineering or military. So you have to juggle between fighter coverage, research and production. Early game though there doesn't seem to be much production; I've only had two projects so far.
There's interception missions, but they're kind of crap, you don't really seem to have any control over the combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
eh stayed up late to finish gothic 2.
game drags on a lot towards the end with a lot of "go back to X place and kill new enemies!", guess that's probably why I didn't finish it before. Difficulty nosedives after ~act 2. Itemization is... well, nearly nonexistent. You're overflowing with LPs about halfway through. Final area was... OK. Major issue with all the chests having random crap in it, no reason to even bother looting them. See before about itemization.
Cool world & lots of reactive characters though. Easily had the most fun just interacting with characters in the town.
:5/5::2/5:, decent polish game.

the expansion was tied into the base game really well btw, few games have ever managed to do it so seamlessly, so, kudos there

and yes, I went all the way back to Greg to ask him to be my captain :argh:

Last edited:

curds

Magister
One of the most frustrating/retarded things in a game (at least in a game I actually like). Pretty sure I did this both times I finished this game 'cause those playthroughs were far enough apart for me to forget.

It would be fine if he just said no, but not even being able to ask the one guy you know who is literally a captain is just :retarded:

BruceVC

Magister
Guys Im looking for some feedback around what I should play next, I have been through my GOG and Steam unplayed game list and I have narrowed down my choices to 2 games

• DA:I
  • BG1
I have already started doing some research on mods for Dragon Age: Inquisition and I have the EE edition for BG1 so I dont know if I need to mod it?

All advice is welcome but ideally Im looking for input from people who have played both and why you recommend one over the other

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
If you want a low level D&D with good sense of exploration and adventure, pick BG1.

If you want an offline MMO with timed quests and dispatches, pick DAI.

Sunri

Liturgist
Guys Im looking for some feedback around what I should play next, I have been through my GOG and Steam unplayed game list and I have narrowed down my choices to 2 games

• BG1
I have already started doing some research on mods for Dragon Age: Inquisition and I have the EE edition for BG1 so I dont know if I need to mod it?

All advice is welcome but ideally Im looking for input from people who have played both and why you recommend one over the other

It depends on if you want harder combat in BG, if u want more tactical battles install Sword Coast Stratagems.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
After circa ten years, I am done with Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume for the Nintendo DS. This has been very on and off. The blend of tactical rpg and Valkyrie Profile button combination attacks was rather interesting. On my first run, I sacrificed a lot of chracters to the Plume, so I could get past some battles. On the second route, not as many, and on my third run, everyone got to live.
There's the usual Seraphic Gate side dungeon that I can do, but I am not dabbling with that.

I will either start Luminous Arc or Sands of Destruction. I had planned to be done with my DS/3DS library this year, but that won't be happening.

Codex Year of the Donut

• BG1

If you want a low level D&D with good sense of exploration and adventure, pick BG1.

If you want an offline MMO with timed quests and dispatches, pick DAI.
Genuinely found Mass Effect Andromeda to be a vastly better game than DAI as far as nu-RPGs go. The negative backlash MEA got but DAI didn't receive is astounding.

MEA has a lot of tight, fairly well designed areas to explore when they could have just as easily used the planets for MMO-tier DAI-style exploration. And for the areas that are bigger, they give you a vehicle that's actually fun to use. The game has a lot of issues, but DAI was way worse.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
One of the most frustrating/retarded things in a game (at least in a game I actually like). Pretty sure I did this both times I finished this game 'cause those playthroughs were far enough apart for me to forget.

It would be fine if he just said no, but not even being able to ask the one guy you know who is literally a captain is just :retarded:
Script Patch added dialogue for it if you go and ask him :incline:

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I bought Holdfast Nations At War due to the sale putting it under $10. So far I only have a couple hours in it but the game has managed to fill the hole in my heart that Mount & Blade Napoleon left. Now to figure out how to aim.

Falksi

Arcane

• BG1

I replayed BG1 only a few months back, still a cool game but it was just too sparse and low-level for me now. It felt like a lot of my time was wasted doing nothing.

But compared to DA:I it was choca full of good content. The combat isn't good but can be a bit fun in DA:I, and there is around 20 hours worth of good gaming in there too, but fuck me do you have to wade through some bollocks padding. Throw in sickeningly OTT SJW bullshit and it got painful to play at times. With all that said though it did have some merits, unlike DA:2.

I'd go BG1 myself and just play a bitesized action game like Streets of Rage alongside it.

jackofshadows

Magister

• BG1

If you are eager to explore big, dull, empty maps and occasionally to whack some kobolds, go with BG1. If you want to see some long, hawt, funny and cringe cut-scenes and some flashy shit in between then choose DA:I.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom