Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Ultima VII - The Black Gate. I had no idea what an RPG was and I couldn't read English. Playing the game consisted of me and my cousin murdering people in Trinsic, stealing candles from the church, then dragging the bodies to an empty house to perform "satanic rituals". Some of the best fun I've ever had.

Shitposter
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja STORM
flushed-face_1f633.png
smiling-face-with-heart-eyes_1f60d.png
flushed-face_1f633.png
smiling-face-with-horns_1f608.png

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I started out playing JRPGs back in my teenage years (my very first one was probably Pokémon Blue) but I almost hated them at the time, I was only playing that crap because of the hype surrounding it back then, and because defining characters with numbers intrigued me, even if Japan never did anything interesting with such a concept.

Ten years later I found the Master System port of Ultima IV and immediately fell in love with it, which was the push I needed to start playing PC games and stop being a consoletard. Before that, I was dumb enough to think that western RPGs were just stupid hack and slash games like Diablo.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I had played Monkey Island 1+2 and an Indiana Jones adventure, but I wasn't into gaming. The day I had the box of Fallout in my hands, I knew this was my game. I had no idea what an RPG is. This game set the rules of what works best for a RPG, for decades to come. Firing the first bullet was orgasmic.

Drowed

Arcane
I don't really know. I remember playing Ultima 5 when I was a kid, but I didn't know English at the time so I probably just walked randomly around doing nothing. I am also almost sure that I played a bit of Rogue... In fact, I probably watched my father play it, I guess. Since I had a NES (a clone of it called 'Top Game' that ran the NES games), most likely I must have played some JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

Probably the first RPGs I played, that I understood something of what was happening because I had already learned the basics of English, were in the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive). Shinning Force, Phantasy Star, Beyond Oasis and Light Crusader were some of the first games that technically we can call RPGs that I could play, because at that time computers were extremely expensive around here and I had no authorization from my parents to use it for "useless" things. So videogame was for games, and PC was for rare and very specific things, usually related to studying.

In my teens it was when computers finally began to become more affordable and popular. With the expansion of the internet, which arrived here in third world countries long after what must have arrived to more privileged places like Europe and the USA, using computers to play and go online has become more common. I can't say for sure which was the first RPG I played on the PC, but no doubt the shareware version of Castle of The Winds is at the top of that list. I played this version for years until I got a pirated version of the "second half" of the game with a friend.

demoman

Educated
Cute thread!

First game with RPG mechanics was either SLH (Superhero League of Hoboken) or Quest For Glory : Shadows of Darkness. Had em both bundled with many others on a Warez CD my dad got me.
Still, since i was like 10 at the time and English is not my native language I didn't really play them as much as I brute forced through them with sheer willpower and lemming-ness(copyright pending).

First actual wRPG was Fallout a few years later.

A few months later they got me Pokemon for the GB so that was my first (and one of the very few) jRPGs.

krilcebre

Learned
I'm not really sure, but I remember playing Neverwinter Nights (didn't even know what RPGs were back then). Or maybe it was something like Throne of Darkness, I remember thinking the cover was super cool when I bought it for dirt cheap while I was looking for some computer magazine.

waken

Educated
I think my first CRPG was Betrayal at Krondor but it might have been Daggerfall. I played them within a few months of each other. Although I liked them I had no idea RPGs would become my primary gaming genre a couple of years later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom