Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
But you only controlled one character per game, right? Then indeed you were roleplaying. EoB has no main character so it's a dungeon crawler with rpg mechanics.

Another one of these people...
You're lucky you're not Chinese, they'd send you to a re-education center.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Oblivion, because

upload_2021-4-8_13-20-11.jpeg

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Those are dungeon crawlers, not RPGs, despite utilizing the AD&D rules.
Back in my day, that's exactly what you did at the table with friends. And it was called RPG! *Shakes his fist like an old man.*

But you only controlled one character per game, right? Then indeed you were roleplaying. EoB has no main character so it's a dungeon crawler with rpg mechanics.
Where did you come to understand that RPG genre is defined by having a main character to play? And are we talking about RPG in general (because PnP is where this term actually came from) or just computer/console games?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It was the year 1990 and I, as a 12 year boy, traveled 800km alone by the train to my brother's college. I wasn't afraid of that at all. It was an adventure. But he presented me this game Eye of the Beholder and insisted I play it. This, I was really scared of. I hade nightmares. really. Because these little buggers kept jumping into the screen without a warning, how evil they looked, how ominious the red color theme was... Everything was very atmospheric back then. Much later it became one of my dearest reruns - EOB1-2, played 6x :D

Eye-of-the-Beholder.png
Have you tried EOB3? I think it is ok. EOB2 was my love, I didn't see the first game until later. Also what do you think of Lands of Lore?

Lands of Lore 1 is a true piece of art of its time. But rly, this game is ageless. Awsomely drawn, riddles to solve, secrets to find, character progression present, story well graduated, combat very ok (for its sub-genre)... I've only praises for it.
I really liked EOB1 and especially EOB2. But as for the EOB3 - that's a strange egg. It aspired to be an open-esque atmospheric game with the feeling of an explorational freedom, but I think it sadly achieved the opposite. It felt empty, clueless and chaotic. I've tried to play it 3x and never got into it. Maybe it's just my feeling, idk. What did you like about EOB3? Maybe you'll inspire me to play it again :D
I like EOB3, the biggest problem was bugs and performance which doesn't really matter on a modern PC. Start is not very fun. There is some puzzle where you have to go through holes in some brambles that is a tedious head scratcher. And the huge open area you start in is quite overwhelming to get right at the start, and there isn't really anything in there, just some arrows and a few potions or whatever, so it was kind of a pain to explore. But any XP is worth having. But mid way you get some dungeons to visit that are like classic EOB1/2. It is bigger and less refined but it is mostly more of the same. You also get to use some higher level magic and I like one of the characters you can recruit, his special ability was nifty.

EOB2 will always be my first love though :)

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Early 2000s, Icewind Dale. My bro gave it to me. He would lick the disk sometimes to clean it, he was odd. I never did get past the Kalahar tombs, until once I did, and it was tough, but man.

Ruchy

Scholar
Morrowind for me, grew up as a console peasant until Morrowind changed my ideas of what games can be. Started my love affair with RPGs.

Ivan

Arcane
I had the privilege of losing it to Fallout. I grew up a Nintendo kid and didn't really get into PC gaming until steam Launched. Which makes me wonder how I got the Fallout disc to begin with. Somehow I found my way to NMA. Anyway, it was a great experience. I mostly remember loving the journey to the Hub and meeting Decker and Butch. I've always loved the voice acting. "Time is money. Chit-chat is not money. You here about the job or what?"

Fishy

Savant
Can't remember for sure because they were likely concurrent, but either Wizardry (1) or Ultima 3, both on Apple //c.

The Ultima 3 character/monster sprites, tactical combat, cities, and huuuuuuge overworld (that's how it felt) completely wowed me. Being young and not a native english speaker though, I wasn't too sure what a Bobbit or a Fuzzy were, or why I'd want to have a 'Lark' when I could have a Fighter, Paladin, Wizard or Cleric. Oh, and the first person dungeons were shit. I loved the top down view and sprites, so I hated that shitty first person dungeon exploring, so I never finished the game.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

You're already gold-medal wrong, you don't need to try so hard. Reserve some energy for the next competition.

Oblivion is one of the harbringers of decline, the fact you drag just one character's sorry ass through a thousand irrelevant dialogue trees and repetitive maps does not make it any better RPG than magnificent party-based RPGs from the last 4 decades. We get it, you liked it, maybe it is special for you for some reason. We all enjoy certain terrible movie or game because we enjoyed it so much with our friends or whatever. Just don't rationalize it into being good.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The beginning of Oblivion is the most visceral murderhoboing you can get. I can imagine it making an impression as a first ever.

Norfleet

Rather than get stuck in argument of whether other examples are or aren't RPGs, I'll just list my first RPG, which is most definitely an RPG: The M20A1 Bazooka.

Semiurge

Cipher
The beginning of Oblivion is the most visceral murderhoboing you can get. I can imagine it making an impression as a first ever.

And so it did. My first memories of it were crawling through some cave near the sewer exit where your tutorial ends and the adventure really begins. Swinging a shortsword at giant rats and goblins in the dark with that atmospheric music was intense. With no knowledge of Morrowind this was peak gaming for me, and it got better with those guild quests. It was the first time I got to experience a fantasy-RPG setting in 3D, not to mention a sandbox world that seemed truly alive.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
my mom introduced me to dungeon siege. i played it a lot on my mom's old compaq circa 2002-2004. i have many fond memories of that game. dungeon siege is still one of the ideal fantasy murderhobo sims in my mind.

when 2006 came around, someone i used to talk to on msn messenger told me about fallout 1 and pleaded me to play it. i downloaded it from the pirate bay, installed it, and instantly fell in love. fallout 1 is still the bar that all crpgs should be judged with.

i was going to cite the very torrent that i used all those years ago, but it got nuked :(

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
probably pokemon red

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom