Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Tavernking, Nov 23, 2020.

1. barghwata Savant

barghwata
    Oh......... god forgive me....................... it was Oblivion that took my maidenhood. :negative:

• Despair x 6
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 3
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. whydoibother Cipher

whydoibother
    Fallout: Tactics demo. I had been playing video games before, but I couldn't understand enough english to actually play narrative or mechanically deep games where the systems aren't obvious.
    I installed FOT, well, because I'd try all demos I could get my hands on, but also because I thought its a strategy game. Had no clue what an RPG is. Some elitists here would insist Tactics isn't even an RPG, I'm sure, but if Diablo passes, then FOT passes too.

^ Top  
  3. ValeVelKal Arcane

ValeVelKal

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    My first RPG were TERA and The Bard's Tale 1 (in French). I remember remembering reading in the manual that "robes" could stop "old knifes" and wondering whether the weapon the skeletons were using were indeed "old knifes", because well back then I did not know RPG conventions about AC and DR.

After that I remember playing in no particular order Ring of Zilfin and Le Maître des Ames. Ring of Zilfin I think we did not have the codes so it became insanely difficult at some point, or maybe I just sucked back then.
    Le Maître des Ames was incredibly atmospheric, and had something no other dungeon crawler I know ever had.

And then, there was Fallout 1, Ultima VII and Lands of Lore - and I got into the "early classical era".

That's like the 6 RPG of when I was a kid.

(Edit : Forget the Bard's Tale

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ismaul Citizen First Class #3333 Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Fallout 1 demo. Short and sweet intro to the character system and the world. I'll forever remember that minigun and the over the top dismembering animations, the doc and his body parts business, etc. I played it many times.

I was too young and too poor to buy the game at the time, but it had firmly taken my virginity.

Not sure if there was something before it. I played Diablo before the full game though, since someone gave it to me as a gift (my first owned game, I had also been playing the 2-lvl demo for too long lol). Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe my first was Might & Magic 6 after all, since a buddy of my father lent him the discs...

^ Top  
  5. Aemar Magister

Aemar

^ Top  
  6. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    Curse of the Azure Bonds on C64.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    [​IMG]
    The Dungeons of Moria
    That was also my first taste of Tolkiens universe. When I read LotR for the first time a few years later the section in Moria didn't exactly match up with what I was expecting.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Tavar Educated Patron

Tavar
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Technically, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail or Pokémon Red were the first, but Diablo II was the first which really made an impact.

• decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Trashos Arcane

Trashos
    Fallout.
    Then Fallout2, the BGs, and PST.

I could call that initial bunch "false advertising" for the rest of the genre. But later I found the Codex, and it guided me to more incline.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  10. snoek Augur

snoek
    Fallout: I read about it in the game magazines, tried the demo and then got the full game months later after begging for it for months.
    I was very young still and I didn't 100% get the game all the time but that was the main one. I completed it like 2 or 3 years after I first got it and gave it another shot.

^ Top  
  11. ShaggyMoose Learned

ShaggyMoose
    I suppose these aren't really "true" RPGs, but it was probably Castle followed by Crescent Hawk's Inception, and then Dungeon Master.

Betrayal at Krondor might have been my first traditional CRPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Saerain Augur Patron

Saerain
    Diablo. My dad came home with pirated games all the time from work, and for some reason thought Diablo was definitely the one to give the 10 year old boy on the week of Christmas. He was very correct.

Nothing much of an RPG, but it was my gateway to more proper RPGs, probably, starting with Baldur's Gate. Not to mention devil worship and tits.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Hamster Arcane Patron

Hamster
    Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
    Diablo, then Baldur's Gate and Fallout 2.

There was also Stonekeep before that, but i did not understand how to play it at the time.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    ^ Top  
  14. eli Educated

eli
    The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion had kidnapped me, a 15 years old virgin, and molested me for several replays. after my escape from being a bethsdafanboy i have tried several other games like NV or the witcher, both of which give a much better sex experience. (they can not put a fight against DoS2 relationship simulator tho)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. buffalo bill Prophet

buffalo bill
    not 100% sure, but I think it was quest for glory 1

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    Console : Phantasy Star

CRPG : Ultima VIII (I didn't know any better)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Salvo Savant

Salvo
    Gothic 2. My father bought it for me when I was a kid. Another reason why I love that game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Diablo 1

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Pentium Novice

Pentium
    Hate (love) to break it to you but having started with Skyrim it would seem you are still an RPG virgin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kalin Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Kalin
    Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JackOfOwls Erudite

JackOfOwls
    Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (1988) for the Commodore 64.

[​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. MajorMace Arbiter

MajorMace

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Started playing on my dad's computer as a toddler when he brought day of the tentacle back home. Later, he bought a packard bell and got free games shipped with it. Among them were titles like MDK2 and Baldur's Gate.
    Spent all my time on Baldur's Gate, I thought the Nashkel Mines were the end of the game :lol:

I probably spent an unhealthy amount of time on Day of the tentacle because I remember something like 10+ years later booting it on my pc and realising that I knew every single solution to every step of the game. This was such a weird experience to feel the unquestionable need to put an hamster in an ice cube tray.
    I did everything naturally while discovering the story. It was some Jason Bourne shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Hmmm.

Ultima Underworld is technically the first RPG I put my hands on, but I was too young to grasp much other than the long adark hallways were spooky, I hated fighting enemies, and everyone in the 'towns' were disgusting filth.

Baldur's Gate I think was the first actual RPG I played and grasped, which I then traded a copy to a guy for Baldur's Gate II in what was possibly the greatest trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever. Really delved into BG2, but the story/setting wasn't much my jam.

Then two games simultaneously nuked my life: Morrowind and a pirated copy of Fallout 2. I think these were the first two RPGs I really got into "as" RPGs. Where I started larping and really honing in the loser sides of my personality, sharpening all the quirks and oddities that make one detestable to their fellow man and, especially, the fairer sex.

Naturally, I consider these two games my first true explorations into the genre.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Bloodeyes Magister

Bloodeyes
    Summoner I think. I remember loving that game as a kid but I got stuck and couldn't finish it. Didn't have a computer so looking up a walkthrough wasn't possible. I've got it in my Steam library now and had a go at it not too long ago. Didn't have the patience to play it for long as an adult. It hasn't aged well.

^ Top  
  25. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Cube of Zoth....

[​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.