Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mark Richard

Arcane
The yearly thread returns once again. For obvious reasons its been slim pickings for new releases this year, but I did get the opportunity to play a few gems I'd missed in the past. List yours however you like (I just like to leave a short summary).
  • Dungeons 3 + DLCs - Replayed from last year's thread. Dungeons 3 remains a lot of fun, though I cannot recommend any of the 7 DLC packs which lean on tired gimmicks to prolong a gameplay loop that was already stretched to the limit in the base campaign.
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Finally, a crowdfunded project that lives up to those late 90s RPGs so casually name-dropped on the Kickstarter page. The recent addition of a turn-based mode reinvigorated interest and changed my approach to combat encounters, expanding my arsenal to include basic items and abilities I'd never touched before.
  • Pathologic 2 - Insert coronavirus joke here. A marked improvement on the original, Pathologic 2 is one of those creative gems where everything from the difficulty to the inventory system is designed to reinforce the setting. Some might argue this is even to its detriment, but personally I love the commitment.
  • Operencia: The Stolen Sun - A dungeon crawler with intrusive dialogue sequences that constantly interrupt exploration, Operencia can be maddening at times. Those who persevere shall find some of the most beautiful and varied tilesets in the subgenre.
  • Blade Runner - Definite contender for the best point & click adventure of all time, not to mention best movie-licensed game. Thank you GOG and the ScummVM community for restoring this classic.
  • Ultimate General: Civil War - An excellent tactical wargame inspired by Sid Meier's Gettysburg. Hour-long battles, persistent units, and the possibility of an occasional draw/loss in the 40 mission campaign produces a thoughtful slow-burn battlefield experience.
  • Lichdom: Battlemage - The only real dud on my list. What could've been a solid mage shooter is hamstrung by a lack of imagination. Poor level design and enemy variety absolutely cripple Lichdom's momentum. Just about the only interesting thing about it is the all-star cast - a rarity for an indi game.
  • The Evil Within + DLCs - Resident Evil with stealth sections. Initially seeming like an uninspired religious-themed zombie outbreak, the story's disjointed weirdness hints something more is afoot. The DLC has less action and more horror by taking guns out of the equation.
  • Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game Series - Released when the GoT television show was in its prime, Telltale's faithful adaption borrows the cast for their voice acting services. It's a companion piece, relying heavily on each character's pre established reputations from the show. As is often the case with Telltale's later works, the limited outcomes make watching a playthrough on Youtube seems preferable to actually buying the game.
  • The Talos Principle + DLCs - A relaxing first-person puzzle-platformer. The music and environments harmonize to produce a feeling akin to having your toes nibbled by goldfish shoals. and there's a layer of philosophy to the world that elevates the game to a potential classic.
  • Mirror's Edge - No GPS, health bars, or HUD markers. There's nothing to separate the artist from her canvas in this beautiful dystopian world of pristine white rooftops, which is something the sequel doesn't really understand.
  • Suzerain - The only game on this list released in 2020. Suzerain is a political CYOA that plays to its strengths with excellent writing and worldbuilding. I grew increasingly paranoid about my closest advisors and clung to power with broken fingernails.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 4
Fallout
Fallout 3
Deus Ex
Might & Magic IV-V: World of Xeen
Age of Decadence
Dishonored
Thief Gold
Prey (2017)
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra
Thief II: The Metal Age
Dishonored 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Alpha Protocol
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
System Shock 2
Portal 2
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Styx: Master of Shadows
Half-Life
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Geneforge

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
KotC1
ToEE

I think that might be it. I've played quite a few games this year (and almost zero League of Legends), good games actually, but have not finished most of them. Yet.

EDIT: I forgot about Rayman 2.

Last edited:

Jonnaz

Educated
Gothic
Gothic II
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Quake
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II
Inmost
Gris

Lagi

Savant
I completed Fantasy General 2 demo,
and heretic (every 5 episode) like 2x each, and ep1 City of the Dammed like 18x.

im a loser

Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Konquest mode)
Mortal Kombat Unchained (Konquest mode)
Fighters Megamix
Virtua Fighter Kids
God of War: Chain of Olympus
Persona 5
Tekken 4
Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challangers
Injustice 2 (Story mode)
Digital Devil Saga 1
Digital Devil Saga 2
Drakengard 3 (replay with all DLC and stuff except for true boss rythm gaem and 3 hardest Accord requests)
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (CPS2)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
War Gods
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Strett Fighter EX 3
Battle Arena Toshinden 2

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Love these annual topics :love:
upload_2020-12-31_19-7-7.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
Replayed:
  • Fallout 1-2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Daikatana
  • Quake 2
  • Alien Isolation

Completed for the first time:
  • The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time :4/5: just wanted to check this game because western gamejournos kept calling it the best thing since sliced bread. Didn't expect it to be so good.
  • The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask :5/5: enjoyed it even more than Ocarina. Travel back in time in a groundhog day loop while trying to save the world from the fall of The Moon. Very unique game.
  • The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker :2/5: decent game with too much padding and filler content.
  • The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess :3/5: good game, but the story and setting are basically a rehash of Ocarina.
  • The Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword :1/5: insultingly easy and boring.
  • Fallout 1.5 (Resurrection) :4/5: a good fan-made Fallout 2 engine conversion.
  • Fallout Nevada :5/5: a masterpiece of quest design. I haven't played anything with the same level of character's skills use, intricate scripting and outside of box thinking before.
  • Fallout Sonora :4/5: second game from Nevada's developer. Shorter and less ambitious, but has a tighter and better realized story.
  • Olympus 2207 :1/5: "modders gonna mod" of Fallout 2 engine. Great assets and beautiful background art, shit story and really bad gamedesign.
  • I am Alive :3/5: The Last of Us meets Prince of Persia, a grimdark post-apocalyptic climber simulator where you occasionally need to fight cannibals.
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance :5/5:
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories :3/5: a walking simulator, but a pretty good one at that. Also the only good SH game made by western devs.
  • Amnesia Rebirth :1/5: huge disappointment, i expected better from Frictional games. Railroaded walking simulator with lame cringy story and modern days politics shoved in.
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake :2/5: another disappointment. Very short and dumbed down when compared to the original game.
  • Dishonored - Death of the Outsider :3/5: this isn't really a new game, more like Dishonored 2 season pass made stand-alone. The story is horrible even by Arkane standards, but gameplay and level design are still somewhat good.
  • Atom RPG :3/5: decent Fallout clone set in Russia. Good quest design and exploration, but the weak writing and overabundance of pop-culture references worsen the overall impression.
  • Ultima Underworld :5/5: enjoyed it immensely. Blew my mind with the amount of stuff devs managed to achieve even before Wolfenstein 3D - textured walls, geometrical verticality, interactivity, even simplistic physics system.
  • Quake 2 expansion packs (Reckoning and Ground Zero) :3/5: liked them more than the base game. Original Q2 is too easy even on harder difficulties, expansions significantly crank up the challenge making things more interesting.
  • Doom 2016 :2/5: wasn't a fan of arenas and glory-kills, but you gotta respect devs for not making some bland halo/call of duty clone and coming up with a rather unique FPS/character action hybrid.
  • Martian Gothic Unification :3/5: Resident Evil clone set on Mars. Check it out if you liked RE-Zero, MG features similar character switching mechanic.
  • The Surge 2 :3/5: a massive step up from the first Surge.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Hitman: Codename 47
Everspace
Police Quest: SWAT
Police Quest: SWAT 2
Oblivion
Dead Space
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Fallout: New Vegas
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Darkness
Anvil of Dawn
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Krush Kill N' Destroy (Survivors campaign)
Magic Carpet 2
Ground Control II
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder 2
Eye of the Beholder 3
Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Price of Loyalty
The Quest
Age of Empires (original)
X: Beyond the Frontier
Victoria (Swedish campaign)
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Xenonauts
Elven Legacy
Crusader Kings (Swedish campaign)
Lords of Xulima
X3: Reunion
Baldur's Gate (original)

Bloodborne
God of War
Yakuza 6
Nier Automata
AC Origins
AC Odyssey
nuDoom
Sekiro
Ghost of Tsushima
Control

i was this year in full console decline mode :lol: i usually play one game a month, finish it then move to the next one. thanks to fucking corona and lockdowns in 3rd Reich i had enough time to finish slogs like Odyssey which are not really my type of games. overall i had good :4/5: fun with above titles.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I expected to have less time for vidya this year; boy, how wrong have I been.

Completed for the first time:

Xanadu Next - a solid Diablo 1-esque dungeon crawler with some light puzzles. It's alright.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth - great for Digimon fanservice, mediocre otherwise. Enjoyed it for what it is, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is not already a fan of the franchise.

Super Metroid - It's good. I don't really have anything to say about this that hasn't been said a million times before.

Digital Devil Saga - party customization is a step down from typical Megami Tensei, but the combat and atmosphere are still top notch.

Final Fantasy III - it's not bad, but 5 pretty much makes it obsolete.

Ys VIII - great music, solid gameplay, story is intriguing for the most part but kinda goes off the rails with the cosmic bullshit by the end. Still, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Blade Runner - it nails the atmosphere, but I'm not that fond of the gameplay. Got stuck a couple of times only to discover that the NPC I had to talk to would only spawn some times you enter their screen.

Final Fantasy IV - kinda sets the blueprint for the (stereo)typical jRPG but is not particularly outstanding.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided - second best Deus Ex. I didn't pay much attention to the story, but the gameplay is top notch. It doesn't compare favorably to the original, but then again pretty much nothing does.

Trails from Zero - a good entry in the series and a fantastic fan translation.

Shadow Hearts - a very interesting setting, but the combat is as standard jRPG as it gets.

Underrail - it took me a couple tries to get into it over the years, but once it clicked it turn out to be every bit as good as the Codex makes it out to be.

Final Fantasy V - polishes the job system for 3 into something much more enjoyable, and has the best music track in the franchise. Very good.

Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey - an excellent turn-based blobber. Great party customization, sadistic dungeon design and one of the best difficulty curves I've seen in an RPG.

Mafia - great story, decent shooting and several hours of tedious driving to and from missions.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - pretty much more of Valkyria Chronicles 1 - a mix of turn-based tactics and third person movement I'd love to see more games try to copy. Found it to be a slight improvement in most areas over the original.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - the title and the occult cyberpunk setting are the best parts of the game. The dungeons are however mediocre and the mechanics are more refined in later Megami Tensei titles.

Dragon's Dogma - finally got around to playing this. It's a fun open world action RPG, if a bit underwhelming considering how much praise it tends to get.

Thief 2: The Metal Age - I don't know why I waited till now considering how much I enjoyed the first game. A masterpiece.

Ys 1 - simplistic but for the most part fun, but has some of the most bullshit bosses I've ever seen in a game.

Phantasy Star - amazing graphics for an 8-bit title. Exploration/puzzle aspects are mostly great, but the combat and the party (you get four non-customizable characters) leave a lot to be desired.

Doom (2016) - I liked it. Found it to be a fun, challenging shooter. All the various progression mechanics turned out to be less intrusive than I feared they would be.

Persona 3 - some interesting plot beats separated by hours upon hours of nothing interesting. Tartarus is a terrible dungeon, even worse than the (similarly randomly generated) dungeons of Persona 4, as those at least had a theme and a connection to the plot, while Tartarus is, until the very end, a glorified grinding spot (this holds true even in-universe - "hey perhaps we should go to Tartarus to train"). Didn't like it. Surprisingly, only controlling one character didn't bother me much.

Wasteland 3 - a cRPG with all the elements a cRPG should have. It's alright, good even, but really really plays it safe. Nothing about it stands out in any way, which doesn't make it bad necessarily, but it does bar it from greatness.

Devil Survivor Overclocked - Great story and mechanics, some catchy music, the only real flaw are the human character designs, which I'm not a fan of.

Ys 2 - an improvement over the first game IMO. The bosses are less bullshit on the average, the exploration aspect is improved, and I like the addition of magic.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - competently transitioned from a brawler into a turn-based RPG. Yakuza continues to be one of my favourite franchises, and this is among the best entries.

As for replays, I unfortunately don't keep that data in a .txt, but I can remember a couple:

Final Fantasy VI - it's good, if not the best RPG ever as some folks would have to believe. Still, it's the first entry in the series to truly feel like a blockbuster, and the mid-story plot twist is still great.

Gothic 2 - when I first played this I played as a melee character and found late game to be a really miserable experience. This time, I played as a mage/archer, which made hundreds of enemies you have to fight in the second half much more bearable, and I thus found the game more enjoyable than I initially did.

Dark Souls - this was also an enjoyable replay. The first playthrough was mostly spent gitting gud, with variable results; this time, I mostly knew what I was doing, and seeing how much I improved since the last playthrough was immensely satisfying.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Betrayal at Krondor
Dead Space
Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds
Quantum Conundrum
Chrome
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Prey (2017)
Another World
Super Mario World (96 exit)
IGI 2: Covert Strike
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
The Ultimate Doom
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest
RAGE
Superhot

Looking back, the games I enjoyed playing the most this year were Prey and Betrayal at Krondor. Doing a 96 exit run of Super Mario World for the first time made me very happy.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Two years ago I said:

You people play lots of games... I finished Vampyr, and replayed Warhammed 40K DOW (plus Winter Assault, Dark Crusade, Soulstorm). That's it. Dropped DOW III after playing for less than 10 hours.

And now I will say that, yes again, you people play lots of games. :argh:

I've finished Homeworld (Classic) and The Outer Worlds this year, so I guess I finished 1 more game that I had not played before in 2020 than in 2018.

I've also played Exiled Kingdoms for more than 70 hours currently, but I am yet to finish it (late-game seems to require a lot of grind).

Games I tried and soon after dropped: Far Cry 2, Homeworld Cataclysm.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Posting this moments before I get shitfaced. There were some other smaller games I won't post entire reviews for so these are from bigger ones. Also, I've failed in my efforts to play more RPGs than last year.

Stories: The Path of Destinies
Mechanically-enforced narrative skeleton of the game is quite strong and its main feature yet also its Achilles' heel depending on your tolerance for grinding necessary in order to consume more story. I like those written and brilliantly voice acted parts, but limited scope leading to asset recycling gets in the way of showing those very same stories leading up to such impressively varied endings. Beneath endlessly replaying very few levels to tell a story you want, you also have a simple albeit competent action RPG-lite with all the trappings you're familiar with like leveling up, basic crafting, etc bolted on top of Batman Arkham's series free-flowing combat. Once you get your feet wet and unlock some ground level moves you're pretty much set to go. Expanding this idea further would make for a great sequel.

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Criminally overlooked if not underrated game that may have given people the wrong impression before release. Come for the cards and the Witcher tie-in, but stay for the story that puts many RPGs to shame and outstanding soundtrack. This leads to some failings like lower difficulty putting a damper on actually tweaking your decks and strategies alike, though. A 25+ hour narrative that manages to shine a light on how a certain Witcher got his title and what a barely name-dropped queen did to restore her kingdom presented in an absolutely worthwhile package as you take adventuring steps through plentiful CYOA scenarios and puzzles galore in place of traditional Gwent matches. Potentially even guide you to standalone Gwent itself? Makes you wish we could get more Witcher Tales in the future...

The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
A remake too basic for its own good with some blatant problems derived from a much maligned translation, but also presumably in the process of making it easier for the new audiences or adapting an old game in new style. With pacing that lends itself to arc-based structure and rarely building up to a grand story until the last quarter before things ramp up I'd be hard pressed to recommend Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch unless you really want an average JRPG to pass some time. As an additional note it has no ties to more widely known The Legend of Heroes games which could discourage few people interested in the complete experience. My desire to play the entirety of Gagharv trilogy has certainly been paused even if the remaining two games are supposedly much better overall.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
If you ever needed proof to that show remakes can, in fact, be worthwhile efforts and not mere cash grabs for creatively bankrupt companies I believe this may be the one you were looking for. Ability to switch from original's to remake's presentation puts that faithfulness on display with this action platformer and diminishes none of its strengths. Defeat evil Dragons, acquire more shapeshifting forms and slash your way to become Hu-man once again as you pile on fighting equipment on top of unique form properties. Outstanding production values at every step steal the show and tight, throwback design make Wonder Boy imminently playable. It could have benefited from somewhat longer play time seeing I clocked out at four hours or so, though.

Metro 2033 Redux
Odd balancing act of approachable modern shooter tempered by inclusion of just-short-of survival elements and story demanding your attention, if only because you're not clear as to what's going on, Metro 2033 Redux is definitely a worthwhile package. Possibly even a genre standout in recent memory. Oppressively somber atmosphere opposing what it means to be human makes for a good story angle. With still strong presentation I have to say gameplay manages to impress by sheer variety put on display. Occasional bugs and jank can almost be ignored for 4A Games's first effort if this was what they managed to develop. Some clarity in Metro 2033's storytelling maybe could have been a welcome addition, but being in the dark and confused as Artyom on your first playthrough works as intended.

Devil's Hunt
Plagued with performance issues and crashes in my case I can't say I recommend Devil's Hunt. In fact, you may quote me saying the exact OPPOSITE. Disappointment permeates this brawler with RPG elements following a hell-bound protagonist as he assumes the role of an Executor in Lucifer's service, but finds out it's not exactly as exclusive he imagined it to be. A highly flawed game employing limp storytelling that mostly misses key narrative beats with rather basic gameplay... yet I can't help but sympathize with the developer's very first outing. If there was one point of praise it would be rather impressive visuals until animations kick in. I just wish more of the production budget spilled beyond mere presentation. Give this one a wide berth unless you accept high levels of jank.

Divide
A twin-stick shooter largely in name only, Divide leans significantly more on the adventure side of things, sans puzzles you'd expect. Maybe outright turning it into a P&C adventure game could have resulted in more development time and avoided this blatantly unfinished storyline with repetitive underground complexes for you to wade through. Narrative concerning a dystopian future paired with cumbersome combat system in service of collecting points so you can unlock doors and progress don't endear this to me. Not even with impressive atmosphere and show stealing soundtrack taken into consideration. It's simply unfinished, or somewhat basic if you're being generous, in both of these departments with an abrupt ending promising a sequel more than likely missing in action.

Skyhill
As you set out on a 100 floor descent in order to escape from hotel's VIP suite as the entire place is now infested with mutants of unknown origin, you quickly discover Skyhill is quite lacking in the variety department. No matter how many weapons dependent on upgradable stats you find, or how much food you gobble and cook to stay satiated, each floor is exactly the same with two rooms and stairway there for you to scavenge through. Taking turns with the uglies in combat is on the simple side as well. There's nothing really WRONG with the game so I can't fault it, but keep in mind there's little here after those initial few runs are behind you and you have a tighter grip on how to build your protagonist. This is one of those titles where you are expected to die and learn from experience.

The Walking Dead: The Final Season
Seeing that belated conclusion to something you like can be a coin toss, but The Walking Dead: The Final Season landed with decent scores if you ask me. There are hints of resurrected Telltale finally making technical advances some have clamored for a long time now yet familiar characters reaching their deserved endings is the main draw here. If you've played their games so far and enjoyed them this isn't really a difficult sell. At times incongruous logic and inability to translate layered morality into more than binary outcomes have always been Telltale's Achilles' heel. Both are present and accounted for. Overtly echoing the very first game, with addition of a weak antagonist, has also resulted in somewhat forgettable overall story. Very much like other offerings this final outcome is also fixed.

Wandersong
Part-platformer, part-rhythm game, but wholesome adventure all the way through I have nothing but praise for Wandersong. Is it complicated mechanically? Not at all and even bits you would classify as challenging, such as platforming segments, can be re-tried with no penalty. Real deal is how our bard handles the prophecy pinpointing him as the hero to save his world against impending destruction... by singing the Earthsong and uniting the people along the way with only his eight-directional tunes as tools of the trade. Despite the predictable initial premise, story certainly takes some turns and delves deeply into character development you wouldn't expect from a lighthearted title such as this one. Inviting presentation and stellar soundtrack speak for themselves in a largely overlooked game.

Dragon Quest Heroes
Odd pairing of Musou aka Warriors and light tower defense formulae, Dragon Quest Heroes is certainly something worth checking out yet it is a kind of amalgam that always plays “in the middle” rather than committing to ether strain of its DNA. Clearing out fields of endless enemies has been deepened with inclusion of characters development more akin to RPGs and approachable story about Light defeating Darkness is an evergreen. Limited character roster and frustrating late game tower defense sections can chafe if you were lead to expect more [or less] of either, but this is Dragon Quest fan service done right for aficionados of the franchise. Not being one in the first place shouldn't stop you from trying this one out given it is entirely self-contained, though.

HansDampf

Arcane
A year of Doom. Normally I don't start games unless I'm convinced I'm going to like them enough to finish them. This year I've been "experimenting" a bit more only to get disappointed again and again, and then always fell back on an evergrowing list of Doom WADs instead. It began with Eviternity last year and now I'm addicted.
Won't include games I've dropped in under an hour.
* = replay, favorites in bold
  • *Half-Life 2 + Episodes with MMod - Meh.
  • Untitled Goose Game - Not finished because it's boring and I don't like the humor.
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Starts off promising, but the more I played it the less I liked it. Lazy design.
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Short but nice. Not much else to say.
  • *CrossCode - NG+ with some options to raise difficulty. Best JRPG ever. DLC is going to be d1p.
  • Pathologic 2: Marble Nest - Played this DLC during first lockdown in March to get in the right mood.
    edgy.png
  • Rain World - A unique hardcore survival Metroidvania. Didn't finish because of a long linear slog in the second half. The first half was pretty cool.
  • The Messenger - Decent 2D Platformer with lots of meta-humor.
  • *AM2R - Also beat it with the new Fusion mode. With recent updates this is the most complete and maybe even the best 2D Metroid game.
  • Metroid Fusion - Samus talks too much. Reminded me of that Other Metroid game which shall not be named.
  • *Super Mario World - Got all dragon coins to force myself not to cape over everything.
  • Super Mario Bros. 3Mix - Good SMB3 romhack that pays homage to all major Mario games from SMB1 to Galaxy.
  • Dishonored 2 - Some good level design with fun gimmicks. I started a second playthrough but lost interest very quickly.
  • MOLEK-SYNTEZ - Worst Zachtronics puzzle game, so far. I've lost hope they will ever top or match SpaceChem's mechanics.
  • Voidspire Tactics - FF Tactics inspired game with low production values but great combat system. Lots of fun developing characters and classes.
  • *Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - Why?
  • *Unreal: Return to Na Pali with Unreal Evolution mod - I forgot how mediocre RtNP is.
  • The Long Journey Home - Interesting concept. Oregon Trail x FTL x Star Control II. But the gameplay parts are often boring, tedious, and/or trivial time wasters. Therefore, didn't finish.
  • A Hat in Time - Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy clone. Looks great. I wanted to like this. But the platforming felt so slow and underdeveloped. Also, way too much talking for this type of game. Maybe I should give it another chance?
  • Factorio - Launched the rocket in freeplay mode. Peak autism.
  • *Bolo - Nobody knows this game.
  • Jamestown - I also tried a couple of other shmups and quickly played through them with infinite continues if possible. But this is the one I'd say I "finished" (Gauntlet on Divine difficulty).
  • UnderRail - I expected a dry min-maxing game. Was surprised how much fun it is. Sadly it gets too easy too quickly on Normal. But another playthrough with Expedition is planned.
  • Doom Eternal + The Ancient Gods Part 1 - It doesn't have much in common with old Doom but it's still a great FPS.

Doom WADs.
  • Ancient Aliens
  • lilith.pk3
  • Paradise
  • Shadows of the Nightmare Realm
  • Skulldash
  • Vanguard
  • Valiant
  • Sunlust
  • Stardate 20X6
  • probably more short ones I don't remember

octavius

Arcane
Patron
#Icewind Dale
#Heart of Winter
Trials of the Luremaster
Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul
#Age of Wonders
, Stormlords campaign
#The Operative: No One Lives Forever
Gothic
Serious Sam: The First Encounter
Wizardry Chronicle
#Heroes Chronicles
, 7 of 8 chapters with "handicap" (choosing the worst skills and let the computer handle combat)
#Dungeon Master

#
means replayed.

Lost of user-made content for FRUA, Thief 1-2 and HoMM 3.

in 2019 I went from October 1999 to June 2000 on my chronological play list, while in 2020 I've reached June 2001, so one year in one year.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pathfinder Kingmaker, Civilization VI, Mass Effect.

I didn't manage to actually get through much this year, spent a lot more time tooling around and then getting busy and dropping whatever I was playing. That and it was just a terrible year all around, for gaming and otherwise.

Ocelot

Learned
On random order, rated according to personal preference:

Crusader Kings 3 :4/5:
Halo MCC :4/5:
Dark Souls 3 :4/5:
Naissancee :3/5:
Spec Ops: The Line :5/5:
Superhot: MCD :2/5:
Metro: Exodus :4/5:
Civ 6: :2/5:
Among us :3/5:
Paladins :1/5:
FTL :4/5:
Terraria :2/5:
League of Legends :3/5:

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Might & Magic I through IX
Starcrawlers
King's Bounty: The Legend
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Just Cause
Just Cause 3
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Arx Fatalis
Bard's Tale Remastered and Resnarkled
Bully Scholarship Edition
Grim Dawn
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
Kohan II: Kings of War
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II
Mass Effect 3
Mirror's Edge
Necrovision
Necrovision Lost Company
Postal Redux
Regions of Ruin
Eye of the Beholder
Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon
Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor
Black Moon Chronicles
Tropico 2
Children of the Nile Complete
Stonekeep
The Temple of Elemental Evil
UFO Aftermath
UFO Aftershock
UFO Afterlight
Victor Vran
Xcom Enemy Unknown
Nox
A.I.M. 2 Clan Wars
Genesis Rising
Silent Storm
Silent Storm Sentinels
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Space Pirates and Zombies
Armies of Exigo
Throne of Darkness
World in Conflict Complete Edition
Sacrifice

Probably forgetting a few, but whatever. Most of them were good fun.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
SWAT 4 with Elite Force mod:5/5::5/5:

I love this game so much.

The Coma 2 Vicious Sisters

Korean horror game. A improvement over the first game but still simple gameplay. Really nice art. You play as the girlfriend of the protag of the first game. I don't like the ending because she gets cucked. The guy rans off with a girl he just met!:argh:

Azur Lane Crosswave ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

Chinese bootleg Kantai Collection. Has LOTS of waifus.

Bayonetta 2

As a whole is better than the first game writing is not as cringe, good enemy variety but boss fights aren't as good.

DOOM Eternal

Very good game but seriously overrated. It's a substantial improvement over the first game but some problems remain like the boring music and poor level design.

Persona 4 Golden

Chie is objectively best girl. Jokes aside both the good and the bad things remain from the original PS2 game. Endless talking, endless cutscenes. The new content is very good though.

Total War Warhammer 2

Hot Dark Elf Thots! :bounce:

Phoenix Point

If you only look at the combat is a 10/10 game. The problem is that everything around it sucks balls. Balls and ass. The grinding for resources, repetitive maps, monotonous music, unspired enemies, boring encounter design, awful art direction. That said it's the first Unity game i played with perfect performance from beggining to end. There are good ideas and i get the impression the dev's heart is in the right place but this game is crap. A sequel may actually be great.

Ace Combat 7

CRISP. WHITE. SHEETS!

Project Wingman

The best Ace Combat game after Zero. I recomend it to everyone who likes airplanes games. The full game can be played in VR or monitor.

curds

Magister
Not many, big decline for me from last years list.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Half-Life

Pretty sure that's it. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom