Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM What genre is XCOM?

I'd wager that any definition of genre you could come up with to define XCom would have so many examples of games that fit the definition yet were wholly, completely different such that the definition is useless. Hence, it has to be defined as a XCom clone or XCom-like.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
It's the only genre nobody in the industry has been able to match in over 20 years, other than that lonely Ja2 gem.

...Yea. Xenonauts, UFO Afterlight/Aftermath/Aftershock, UFO Extraterrestrials, and...what's the other one....UFO AI? All fall short some way or another. Man, we needed Genesis.

I need to try JA2, I have it.

It's the only game in 25 years of PC gaming that gave me Xcom vibes and fun. Try it
I played Chaos Gate for the first time 1 month ago, and it strongly gives the same vibe, though it is very unbalanced in your favor so too easy (do like me : don’t use the Terminators except in missions in tight corridors, or even better - at all).

You can Ironman it at your first walkthrough, I - almost -did it and could have done it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom