Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News What if Shepard dies?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

BioWare <a href="http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/02/05/news-why-you-may-not-be-able-to-import-your-mass-effect-2-save-to-me3.aspx">reveals the harsh (persistent) consequences</a> of Shepard dying at the end of ME2.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Dead is dead. Mass Effect 3, as with the rest of the trilogy, is Shepard’s story. If you have a dead Shepard at the end of Mass Effect 2, that saved game won’t import into Mass Effect 3. You can play Mass Effect 3 if you died in Mass Effect 2 of course, but you’ll have to create a new Shepard. Harsh? Yes. But we wouldn’t be serious about the concept of a suicide mission if you couldn’t die and your death didn’t have serious consequences.</p>
<br>
<br>
So you basically have to create a new Shepard as if you never died. Since you probably miss out on a few space-coins it might be a bit too... harsh and serious.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14340">RPGWatch</A>

Harsh? Yes.

:lol: . If they ant to make it harsh, simply make it so the new shepard doesn't have any of the previous one unlocked achievements. Now THAT is fucking harsh. Almost....extreme.

scream.jpg

Though I suppose the joke's on me if I was expecting them to come up with something else.

hell, even letting you control a party member and change all instances of "Shapard" for his/her name, not changing anything else, would be acceptable.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What kinda sort of stupid logic is that? It could work if you had a system like the late Wizardry games, where if you start a new game you are considered to play a new party of adventurers and the previous episodes were accomplished by other people, but here you still play the same person and are supposed to have accomplished the stuff of the previous episodes. Or I misunderstood something.

Gragt said:
Or I misunderstood something.

nope, all you lose is your levels and previous decisions, in which case the game will select default ones (but apparently 2 doesn't even get saved decisions right, since a poster said Adoring F-...Conrad accused Shep of pointing a gun at him, when that didn't happen in 1). Just like when you create a new Shep for 2 instead of using the save from 1.

Unless you're crazy Pollyana positive and think "new shepard" means a new member of the Shepard family. Spacer shep still has his mom.

But I liked how the writer snuck this in:

So there it is! Just in case you weren't 100 percent certain, now you know just how seriously you should take the end-game consequences in Mass Effect 2

:lol:

IMO death itself is the heaviest and harshest of the consequences ever conceivable if done well, it was already a miracle that they implemented such a penalty in ME2... we should already be thankful. Obviously it has to be prooved HOW exactly it is avoidable, if it's too easy or too hard(the latter i seriously doubt)

And it's the best consequence because it's not "you're dead, plz reload", it's "permanent" death forcing you practically to replay the whole game(or not, and accept it as you accept crying the end of "the Gladiator" or Romeo and Juliet, which would import tragedy in videogames which would be a great evolution for the media), it's the result of MOST of your actions/decisions, that are harshly thrown in your face at the end with a scene of inevitable agony and pain. This points out that you can't just reload the savegame previous of the ONE fatal choice, it must be the consequence of MANY and CAREFULLY hidden choices thruout the game, that in the end are there to even make a final morale(don't follow your instincts. love always brings you to self-destruction, or such similar shakespearean morales)

I repeat IF done correctly, it would PISS THE HELL off of console retards, it would literally push them to suicide, and yet they WILL buy the game, because they don't know of this mechanic. It's the best feature also because of this, because it's great for hardcore adventurers, and it's something the retards can't see at first.

and it's the reason why most new players hate Sierra adventures of the early 90's and why they instead love the lucasarts' style. I dare even say videogamers turned into wusses because they got lucasarsed into the concept of immortality.

DraQ

Arcane
Gragt said:
What kinda sort of stupid logic is that? It could work if you had a system like the late Wizardry games, where if you start a new game you are considered to play a new party of adventurers and the previous episodes were accomplished by other people, but here you still play the same person and are supposed to have accomplished the stuff of the previous episodes. Or I misunderstood something.
This. Or is galaxy full of Shepards, all extreme! to boot?

Choices without consequences, how biowarian. :roll:

DraQ said:
Gragt said:
This. Or is galaxy full of Shepards, all extreme! to boot?

Choices without consequences, how biowarian. :roll:

Naturally i assume that "a new shepard" is meant simply as a new guy-hero, without shepard's memories, personality, attitude and whatever.

Which means that only if you import the prequel's savegame, the character TALKS like shepard, otherwise a new game has a whole other person. Which also means they would rewrite ALL the dialogues.

Uhm.

But c'mon, as unlikely as it sounds, they would appear ridiculous if "new guy" talks and acts like Shepard. And they wouldn't have the buttface to go "before he died, He cloned himself!".

^You're too positive in your interpretation. The canon ending is shepard making it out alive. If you don't import the E2 save into 3 / die in 2, it will follow the canon ending and give you a lvl 1 shepard, a "new" Shepard. Not a "new Shepard".

normally I wouldn't care (sequels follow the canon ending of the prequels, if these have multiple endings), but they made a big deal about the "omg u can die" (ruining any possible surprise), so I was expecting actual consequences (new character, for example), not just losing your fucking skills / levels.

Wulfstand

Prophet
So how can you die at the end of ME2? I read somewhere that if you're renegade by the end, you end up radioactive or some shit and die. True/false?

DraQ said:
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
But c'mon, as unlikely as it sounds, they would appear ridiculous if "new guy" talks and acts like Shepard.
Somehow I don't think the "new Shepard" would be all that different form the old one. Call it a hunch.

Wouldn't they appear foolish? Would the 'zines still dare to support them and ignore the ridicule?

Wulfstand said:
So how can you die at the end of ME2? I read somewhere that if you're renegade by the end, you end up radioactive or some shit and die. True/false?

Exactly, that's what i was wondering earlier.

Say that in a hypothetical score of 500 points you have i'd say above 350 will lead to death, points accumulated by many decisions.

The decisions' relevance to dying mustn't be too easy(or impossible) to decypher and you can't take 'em back at the end. Also a score too low won't lead to death, sure, but you will live as a coward who can't choose sides.

the obscurity of the hints is a question of balancing the challenge like you do for combat, you don't respect it(you as designer) and you fail in making this element any interesting.
Chances are Bioware will please the accessibility morons but you never know.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
DraQ said:
But c'mon, as unlikely as it sounds, they would appear ridiculous if "new guy" talks and acts like Shepard.
Somehow I don't think the "new Shepard" would be all that different form the old one. Call it a hunch.

Wouldn't they appear foolish? Would the 'zines still dare to support them and ignore the ridicule?

lol_cat-12926.jpg

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I'd say this is too childish an issue to discuss morals or anything. As it is, gaming journalism is simply too stupid to become aware of its own reality. All you need to start writing reviews are an internet connection and a pair of opposable thumbs, and even the latter is expendable.

Bioware will keep pulling the crap they've been pulling all along and the gaming media will keep sucking it down because they don't know any better.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
DraQ said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
It would have been cool if you had to play as Garrus.
If Turians didn't look like stylised plastic kitties...

or if Garrus died as someone else. Shepard dies and you have to play as a
surviving teammate.

I hope they include more planets to scan in ME3.

SerratedBiz said:
I'd say this is too childish an issue to discuss morals or anything. As it is, gaming journalism is simply too stupid to become aware of its own reality. All you need to start writing reviews are an internet connection and a pair of opposable thumbs, and even the latter is expendable.

Bioware will keep pulling the crap they've been pulling all along and the gaming media will keep sucking it down because they don't know any better.

I agree. One may argue that morality is also awareness of what sucks, to not reduce them to philosophy. But forget it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh. Makes sense. if your Shepard dies, he dies. Not fuckin' complex so why all the crying? FFS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom