Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Apr 14, 2021.

?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

1. Over my dead body

97 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

105 vote(s)
    37.4%
  3. kingcomrade

79 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Eirinjas Cipher Patron

Eirinjas
    RPG Wokedex
    They should name it: YTPIPO.COM

Tagline: Doesn't scale to your ethnicity

• feels good man feels good man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ravielsk Educated

Ravielsk
    Reading through this thread and others like it I noticed that they all seem to be based around the same misconception that whatever changes happened to codex are entirely external. A.k.a its not the world of 2005 and 2021 are two different worlds with different sets of relevant discussion, its those filthy GG refuges/pol/acks or some other nebulous group that just sorta spontaneously showed up on the site. Its not that topics that used to have 0 overlap now have a massive overlap, nope its just angry shit posters and nazis. If only we could get rid of them all then time would reset and it would be all like it was back in "the good year of choice".

The sad part is that this is not only wrong for obvious reasons but also because it historically never actually worked. Not for forums, not for image boards, not for news websites.
    Oneangrygamer.net was infamous for its "edgy"(read 2005 libertarian) content yet while it was this edgefest of a site it had massive success and plenty of traffic each day, with sometime hundreds of comments under the more popular articles. Then it was sold off and despite a complete re-brand nobody cares. The site is effectively dead with comment sections gone and basically 0 traffic.
    Similar thing occurred with Neogaf where despite all the concessions made the site was hard booted of the net after the owner was accused of sexual misconduct(accused proved to have committed, keep that in mind). The only reason why the site did not disapear into the memory hole is because the management momentarily understood that getting good boy points from journos might warm their hearts but it leaves their sites empty and balance at 0.
    Same thing actually happened with 8kun.top. Where the moderation got the bright idea to first kick out the GG crowd because "they were shitting up every thread" but then also pushed out anything to do with politics to promote its custom brew "news" board and as a finishing blow even managed to chase out the l*li degenerates. That place is currently a ghost town with the most active boards being a Qanon larp board and hypno-sissification board. Also no one bothered to exonerate it for all its valiant effort in any way shape or form and its to this day considered and unclean site.

Point being chipping away at your community for any reason will never bring you anything. The media and developers will not just flock to you for being a good boy and nobody will be exactly giddy about joining a forum/site where they face the risk of being removed en masse whenever they become slightly inconvenient.

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Semiurge Arbiter

Semiurge
    You are not puur prutswerk.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I've seen this happen over and over again on Internet communities. A small band of posters or group is blamed for all the problems. Of course if they are banned, then they are quickly forgotten and people immediately start complaining about something else as the source of all their issues.

What this effectively is is the fable The animals and the plague. It's always easier to blame a few unpopular people who can't defend themselves than to admit that the problem is not what they were complaining about, but themselves.

http://read.gov/aesop/130.html

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    I am also not Muty.

• Informative x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kruno Arcane Shitposter

Kruno
    ud like dat wuldnt ya?

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Are we still alive?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Boleskine Arcane

Boleskine
    Are you the pot or the kettle?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kruno Arcane Shitposter

Kruno
    All my posts are in RPG forums.

• FAKE NEWS x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zibniyat Arcane

Zibniyat
    This forum has existed for some 2 decades, and whilst people who have posted primarily or exclusively in Pol/GD part were always somewhat ridiculed or shunned, it is only now that, for some mysterious reason (no, it is probably not Infinitron, leave the Jew alone), that is seen as "problematic" (as modern leftist journalists would say).

Now, I have some 50% of my posts in Politics alone, but that translates to around 2500 posts over the period of some 7 years, which is less than 365 posts per year, that is - less than a single post per day. That is not called "only discussing politics", it is called "occasionally leaving a comment about politics". Of course, there are worse posters out there, but also many more who are better, but the point is that the post distribution is really misleading.

Moreover, in my example, I simply don't play games as much. I finish up to 5 games a year tops, and frankly am never invested that much in order to discuss them at length. Meanwhile, Skyrim and other garbage games can have megathreads which according to idea behind this thread is a far more preferable thing to having political-oriented discussion, which is frankly absurd. And, at the end, many of the threads in Politics and GD have offered a lot of entertainment and amusement, even from outright crazy posters, I'd argue that the amount of entertainment that I have extracted from some of discussions there is greater than from many of the games I've played.

Of course this should be a gaming forum first, but why force anyone to post or not post about something? Moderation is there to remove posts deemed unnecessary or "problematic" and to keep discussions in gaming threads focused and productive. Those bothered by Politics are free to ignore it. And the political forum is overrated. There are maybe 50 regular posters in Politics which post more than those 1 post per day like I do, who could be said to keep that part of the forum alive, and they are from all over the world. This site can be hardly said to be a breeding ground of extremists, we are too much a disparate group for that. If 50 posters fr all over the world is too much for a forum... then any topic or member can be seen as "problematic" and this idea of splitting would simply be the beginning of something much worse.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    I mean it's just pathetic. You're 38 years old, you're married with kids, and these people act like you're a loser for not playing and discussing 25 games a year. You literally can't make this shit up. I don't give a shit about post ratios.

Maybe realize that if you're still arguing against Bethesda all day at 40 years old, you're the loser? At the end of the day, how much Bethesda games have declined really doesn't matter all that much in comparison to things like the rise of China, or what happens after death.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    This community is being torn apart. DarkUnderlord it's time to admit the joke has gone too far, and apologize (and go on a diet).

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Equip the Ring x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. NJClaw I'm single now, looking for a new forum boyfriend Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    So, once you're 38 years old and married with kids, you should stop playing and discussing videogames and start to obsess pathologically about homosexuality? Got it.

• Funny x 13
    • Yes x 3
    • feels good man x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sweeper Arcane Zionist Agent

Sweeper
    It's part of growing up.

• incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • It's a matter of time x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kruno Arcane Shitposter

Kruno
    stop marrying kids, this isn't saudi arabia

• Funny x 21
    • Absolutely Haram x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Saint_Proverbius Administrator Patron

Saint_Proverbius
    This. 100%.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jacinda Arnhem Arcane

Jacinda Arnhem
    I voted Leave simply because I like change and drama.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Are you fucking kidding me? Because people didn't "obsess about it" starting 40 years ago to instead "live and let live" for 40 years straight without doing ANYTHING, THIS is where we are today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Doggy x 4
    • Disgusting! x 4
    • Someone has issues x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kruno Arcane Shitposter

Kruno
    Stop posting your gay fetish shit. Go to a gay forum or something. RPG Codex isn't a gay fetish site.

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 3
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. gabel Learned

gabel

It's not?
    Well, I'm sure it soon enough will be.

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 4
    • decline decline x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Split it into Hetero Codex and Gay Codex.

• Funny x 11
    • Yes x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Lemme think, General Dicksuction, Codex Gayfield, Codex Pubic Library...

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik

Hóngwèibīng
    And Humanity has risen! as administrator.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. gabel Learned

gabel
    Well, Hetero will be a ghost town, so no need to split in the first place. :3

• Funny Funny x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Achilles Arcane

Achilles
    So this is what it has come to.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.