Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are way too butthurt

You got all that from two sentences?

And yes, we all have our embarrassing times in our lives, but the forum knows I was a drunk, so what else is new? The only reason you're bringing it up it because you obviously don't have a lot of actual arguments, so I guess you're just resorting to personal insults.

Look all trolling aside, I think it's fair to say that the constant parade of politically oriented posts is tiresome. Its's tiresome in shoutbox. It's tiresome in GRPG forums. It's tiresome in General Gaming forums, and it's tiresome in Off Topic threads.

It might be less tiresome if we all took a chill pill and remember that the reason we're here is to discuss video games, with an emphasis in RPGs. And yes, some games have political agendas. I think it's fair to point that out, ok fine. But threads are routinely derailed to just focus on the politics piece.

Again it's tiresome. If anything comes of this thread is to at least voice the opinion that that shit is annoying. That's all.

Look we get it, but you can't turn back the clock. We'd all love to go back to when games and the discussion weren't heavily politicised but that's just life.

It's happened on every game forum and community on the net, it just happens that the Codex tends to be right leaning rather than woke. Every other community discusses politics just as much as us, just from the opposite direction.

Let's say for sake of argument that all the politicised discussion was purged from the Codex, do you really think the place wouldn't slowly slide into the same shit as every other forum on the internet? It might not happen overnight, but slowly you'll get new membership who want this place like every other gaming community online. You think we like "politicising" gaming threads? Just wait till they make everything about the woke agenda.

Also as much as you might find the right leaning people annoying, most of us take free speech seriously. Our eventual replacements would not.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I think it's fair to say that the constant parade of politically oriented posts is tiresome. Its's tiresome in shoutbox. It's tiresome in GRPG forums. It's tiresome in General Gaming forums, and it's tiresome in Off Topic threads.

"Reality is tiresome, let's just ban discussions of reality."

The Codex is popular to a large degree because there are basically no restrictions on what can be discussed.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
You couldn't keep the poldex online. It would be a full time job hopping from domain to domain as you got dropped by each domain host within days or hours of the new site being up. You'd start with poldex.net or .com and before you knew it you'd have poldex.cat, poldex.top, poldex.su etc before eventually giving up and settling for poldex.onion. Also a poldex that bans isms would just get spammed/trolled into oblivion by newly homeless codexers and deservingly so. This is just a website but a lot of people spend a lot of time here and would be pissed if you killed it. I don't think these people would tolerate some safe space normie gaming site being called RPG Codex. Fuck that shit. Also who is this sanitized RPG site supposed to appeal to? Last time I looked at RPG Watch that place looked pretty fucking dead to me. So you'd have two forums where 90% of the activity was just people spamming tubgirl, gore and pictures of lynchings.

Much of the discussion seems to me to muddle the waters as to what is the real dividing issue. The reason some people are dissatisfied with the current state of affairs is not due to politics being discussed per se, or even political discussion occasionally spilling into RPG threads. It is due to the fact that despite separate forums having been created for RPG and Political discussion, in practice some RPG (and General Gaming) threads host discussions simultaneously about a game and game-related politics - resulting in the discussion being incoherent and lacking a unified structure.

But DU doesn't frame the issue in this way. In his last post in the thread (page 20) he suggests that there may be a demand for a political forum that is focused on free discussion of controversial topics, and proposes the creation of a new site as the best way to meet the demand. If this is what he wished to discuss it is unfortunate that this hasn't been clearer, since all discussion in this thread so far has been about a different topic.

mondblut

Arcane
Much of the discussion seems to me to muddle the waters as to what is the real dividing issue. The reason some people are dissatisfied with the current state of affairs is not due to politics being discussed per se, or even political discussion occasionally spilling into RPG threads.

I am sure this issue is bipartisan and inconveniences true conossieurs of keeping game discussions politics-free from all kinds of the spectrum, right? Right? Someone to the right of Pol Pot sick of those problematic sexist anti-SJW bigots? Hello? Anybody home?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
One thing I will say that I think has been missing from the conversation, is whether or not there's a desire / need for a political focused site with Codex rules in today's political climate.

There are few outlets in existence that allow open forums and discussions on political issues. Those that I'm aware of are usually video focused, with limited conversation options (no forums, only commenting on posted video content).

Others are so far left wing that even suggesting the Floyd case might get a not guilty verdict will get you banned for being a terrorist.

Such a forum would have news posts about politics. And allow people to discuss things without waiting 12 months as you do here.

I'd imagine in that case, that political discussion regarding games (oh no this game went woke) would still happen on the Codex. In the context of the game being discussed. But if you wanted to talk about the failing state of Swedenistan, or the second American Civil War, the Poldex would be the place to go.

Hot topics or issues like the Floyd trial could end up with their own forums dedicated to them, to avoid having one mega thread of x 1,000 posts to wade through.

Such a forum would gather attention and potentially have the chance to be larger than the Codex itself. With the Codex continuing to focus on the niche that is RPG games.

You would need to devote your life to keeping this website online and you don't come across as ideologically energized enough to put up with the kind of shit you would face personally for running such a place. The Daily Stormer is such a website. It's a right wing satire site (with attached forums) that says nigger a lot. They've been removed from Google results, banned by cloudflare and dropped by something like 20 domain hosts in the last few years, most of which happened over a couple months. Their site was going down and getting new hosts daily. In between surface web domains they continue to post on a dark web backup of their site, but there is attempted sabotage even to this site. I don't know how it works technically but apparently the community behind TOR isn't down with racism on their service (as opposed to pedophilia, narcotic sales and terrorism) so they have been doing some kind of tech vodoo to slow down the TOR site, despite not actually being able to remove it.

The only way they can accept donations is bitcoin because payment processors won't work with them. Nobody donates, and of course there are no ads. There's no revenue at all so despite only paying their authors $14.88 USD per article they couldn't even afford to pay them that. Andrew Anglin, their editor, has been sued and had his elderly mother harassed by left wing journalists. Nothing posted on the Daily Stormer is any worse than what gets posted on the Codex political subforum. It's edgy, non-pc and racist but calls for violence are banned and explicitly denounced as fedposting. It's not enough.

If you're seriously thinking about running a right wing website then you'd better be fanatically devoted to the cause of free speech and your family had better be equally committed. Don't kid yourself that it wouldn't be a right wing website. "Free speech" is a dog whistle for right wing and everyone knows it. Left wing people don't need free speech platforms because they already have free speech on every platform. You would likely be publicly named as the owner of a far right hate site in the media and you're out of your mind if you think they'd listen to your side of that story. This is something that would become your life's work for no money, it's not something you do just because you think people might dig it. I wouldn't personally join such a site because a lot of what would be posted there would likely be illegal in New Zealand but if you want to take on such a battle then I salute you. Just leave the Codex as it is when you do it. It's not an either/or thing.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Recent global geopolitical events along with our generally more lazy approach to "free speech" (or at least more free speech than other places give you), have resulted in a steady rise of political discussion here on the RPG Codex. To the extent that some have recently expressed concern that the RPG aspect is being lost in the politics.

Statistics show that since 1 Jan 2020, there have been 786,320 new posts made on the Codex. This represents 11% of the total 7,077,829 posts made in the entire 19 year history of the Codex.

Of those 786,320 posts:

262,124 (33%) in the various RPG forums (including News & Content, and Developer / Hosted sub-forums)
222,040 (28%) in Off-Topic Forums (excluding Politics)
184,209 (23%) in Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations and its two sub-forums
116,610 (15%) in the General Gaming forums
1,337 (0%) in Administration which oddly, happened entirely by chance

View attachment 18887

Of note, as a single forum, Politics out performs every other individual forum, including GD. If you include the two sub-forums, it out-performs GD by almost 50,000 posts. This is despite the requirement that to even see the forum, you must have been a member for at least 12 months.

Posts Forum %
136,802 Politics, God & The Wealth of Nations 17%
130,531 General Discussion 17%
95,686 General RPG Discussion 12%
59,765 General Gaming 8%
45,406 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN 6%
34,909 Codex Public Library 4%
29,094 Owlcat Games 4%
27,988 Retardo Land 4%
24,090 Larian Studios 3%
22,820 CD Projekt Red 3%
20,235 jRPG Weeaboo Discussion 3%
16,610 Gaming Drama 2%
15,598 Strategy and Simulation 2%
14,994 News & Content Feedback 2%
10,739 Site Feedback 1%
10,732 SCIENCE!! 1%
10,311 Obsidian Entertainment 1%
7,410 BioWare 1%
7,294 Codex Playground 1%
7,244 MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion 1%
6,809 The Gazebo 1%
5,101 Tactical Gaming 1%
4,937 Underrail 1%
4,850 Bethesda Game Studios 1%
4,357 Choose Your Own Adventure Land 1%
4,217 Adventure Gaming 1%
3,559 inXile Entertainment 0%
3,211 Sports and Fitness 0%
3,162 Iron Tower Studio 0%
3,154 Codex Workshop 0%
2,232 Giftstravaganza 0%
2,006 Prosperium 0%
2,001 No Malarkey! 0%
1,924 The Leisure Zone 0%
1,458 Piranha Bytes 0%
1,123 Golden Era Games 0%
828 Space Games 0%
662 Administration™ 0%
608 MP Gaming 0%
439 Contact Us (RPGCodex)! 0%
353 The Boar Studio 0%
284 ToEE Modding 0%
195 RPG Codex Content 0%
185 Prelude To Darkness 0%
119 Expeditions 0%
79 Prisonscape 0%
58 Ash of Gods 0%
55 Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome 0%
40 The cRPG Player's Handbook 0%
39 The Cabal 0%
14 StarLife 0%
2 TCancer News & Content Comments 0%
1 What Remains 0%
786,320 TOTAL POSTS

We've also been invaded by Poles. Although this is a side issue and in no way relevant to the conversation topic here.

A suggestion has been made that to ensure our RPG focus, we split the politics off into its own site. With political news. Focussed on politics. Entirely separate from the RPG Codex. With its own forum, domain name, and user registration required. Run under similar rules, but probably with a few extra in order to stop it from turning into StormFront Lite.

Political discussion then simply wouldn't exist on the RPG Codex. The forums would be focussed on gaming only. In fact there may not even be a General Discussion, with all of that pushed over to an entirely separate site (or a limited GD with anyone wanting to engage in politics being directed over).
That's just asking for problems with the political site. The only reason the Codex has lasted this long is because of the RPG "front".

If you make a political site, it will have a massive target painted on it. Which might not scare you, until you realize the metric ton of shit other political sites must deal with, like activists posting CP to get them banned by their webhosts or forum raids.

Yep, even if they do split the site, and the other site starts to get raided with illegal stuff and shut down.

The mob would soon turn its attention back to the traditional rpgcodex. Splitting the site would be the end of the rpgcodex.

Yep.

My final say on the matter is this: none of this would be an issue if DarkUnderlord had made that lambchop guy a moderator. :M

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
37ANs2Da.jpeg

Neki

Scholar
Just have a retard filter, If over 35%(which is pretty lenient) of your posts are on politics you get redirected to resetera.

Semiurge

Cipher
It's been proven several times already in this thread that separating politics from Codex would be anathema to both politics and the gaming focussed skeleton Codex. If the reason behind DU's idea was to play it really safe in regards to Codex and its future financing, then the only options would be to limit the amount of hate on Codex or to ban politics altogether. Either option would hurt Codex almost as badly as the separation. I don't endorse either of them, there must be another way. Keeping political threads away from Google's malicious eyes was already a wise move, and it may be enough.

It's also possible that the real agenda is is to turn Codex woke and attract new woke members to replace the old, whilst celebrating newfound "security" and a prosperous future. Separating politics into another site would safeguard DU from much of the critique if the poldex gets shut down by feds. "I didn't do this to you, the feds did!" And how then would Codex compete with myriads of similar sites? I doubt even the cute trolls would help.

Making a livelihood (not total dependency, just any monetary gain considered significant enough) out of a politically neutral website is dangerous to the neutrality of the site. Money always has some conditions depending on the source.

Last edited:

A horse of course

One thing I will say that I think has been missing from the conversation, is whether or not there's a desire / need for a political focused site with Codex rules in today's political climate.

There are few outlets in existence that allow open forums and discussions on political issues. Those that I'm aware of are usually video focused, with limited conversation options (no forums, only commenting on posted video content).

Others are so far left wing that even suggesting the Floyd case might get a not guilty verdict will get you banned for being a terrorist.

Such a forum would have news posts about politics. And allow people to discuss things without waiting 12 months as you do here.

I'd imagine in that case, that political discussion regarding games (oh no this game went woke) would still happen on the Codex. In the context of the game being discussed. But if you wanted to talk about the failing state of Swedenistan, or the second American Civil War, the Poldex would be the place to go.

Hot topics or issues like the Floyd trial could end up with their own forums dedicated to them, to avoid having one mega thread of x 1,000 posts to wade through.

Such a forum would gather attention and potentially have the chance to be larger than the Codex itself. With the Codex continuing to focus on the niche that is RPG games.

Whilst I would personally be happy with a compromise like this (split the site, but allow game-related political discussion and no restrictions on salty language), there are a few factors to consider:

1. How would you deal with shoutbox? People use it as a chat box, and naturally topics like the Chopin trial/riots or "hey why is my hometown full of albanians now?" will crop up. Meanwhile, Saint Proverbius will still boast about his anti-government white nationalist militia homestead community, Crispy will still cry about "Zionist Occupied Governments", and so forth.

2. As others have pointed out, having a politically-oriented site will only make it more of a target. To be frank, you seem a little naive about this move, as if just having moderators deal with death threats/harassment etc. is enough for the powers that be. I recommend you look into what happens to other sites that try to make "free speech" zones whilst still trying to stay on the good side of the law. Look at what happened to Parler and the targeting of its owner by corporate behemoths and payment processors. It doesn't matter whether you technically abide by their rules - if they want to fuck you, they'll do so. Similarly, Joshua Moon of Kiwifarms, who has a lot more experience with this than you do, recently shut down the main politically-centered subforums on the site because they accounted for his most pressing legal concerns. Do you really think you have the stomach to spend your life fighting for some shitty little neonazi forum populated by third-worlders who think you're a gay nigger?

3. I don't know anything about your personal politics, but when I first joined the site you seemed to be vaguely lolbertarian-ish, then got pushed more overtly to the political right as the overton window shifted in favour of totalitarian social justice leftoids. So I personally don't believe this a ploy on your part to destroy the free-speech/right-wing faction on RPG Codex and turn it into some pozzed sponsor-friendly shill site. I seriously doubt the site makes you more money than it costs to maintain (financially and in terms of your time), so I think you care about RPG Codex. But if I had to speculate, I think that the Poldex site would eventually become too much of a burden and would either cause you so much grief that you shut it down yourself, or would one day get pulled by whoever was hosting it. So if you took this decision, it would be a lot of drama and hard work for no real gain.

So my personal stance is that you should keep the site as it is, and if worst comes to worst, just shut down the Politics subforum without cracking down on what can be discussed in the gaming forums.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
So my personal stance is that you should keep the site as it is, and if worst comes to worst, just shut down the Politics subforum without cracking down on what can be discussed in the gaming forums.
I agree with this. Regulars who want to chat politics should worst come to worst can move to Telegram (the Russian messenger app), Element (the encrypted messaging app ANTIFA uses) or Discord (the FBI honeypot run by furries).

Corvinus

Arcane
Element (the encrypted messaging app ANTIFA uses)

Unless it was an inside job, it appears that Element is anything but private and will shut you down if you discuss harmless topics that would have been OK up until circa 2019. Source: personal experience. Discord is for globohomo deviants, obviously, but what about Telegram? Is it any good - as in private?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, everything is a honeypot, whether willingly or not.

Here's some primer reading from the snowden material. You'd be silly to think anything you put on the internet isn't being archived somewhere for later "reference" if needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_surveillance_disclosure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program) (this is the one relevant to the US / Australia interactions)

If the laws in your country prevent domestic surveillance, well one of the partner countries will just spy on you then hand the information right back to your government.

That's the short and skinny of it.

Gregz

Arcane

Here's some primer reading from the snowden material. You'd be silly to think anything you put on the internet isn't being archived somewhere for later "reference" if needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program) (this is the one relevant to the US / Australia interactions)

If the laws in your country prevent domestic surveillance, well one of the partner countries will just spy on you then hand the information right back to your government.

You don't know what you're talking about.

End-to-end encryption works, and you don't have to worry about keyloggers if you're using Linux.

Unless it was an inside job, it appears that Element is anything but private and will shut you down if you discuss harmless topics that would have been OK up until circa 2019. Source: personal experience. Discord is for globohomo deviants, obviously, but what about Telegram? Is it any good - as in private?

https://qtox.github.io/

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

End-to-end encryption works, and you don't have to worry about keyloggers if you're using Linux.

Bro, for most normies, this is relevant.

Not all of us are cyber paranoid.

I'm trying to educate people on a subject. You could have tried to come at this new bit of the discussion in a more monocled fashion.

Gregz

Arcane

Bro, for most normies, this is relevant.

Not all of us are cyber paranoid.

I'm trying to educate people on a subject. You could have tried to come at this new bit of the discussion in a more monocled fashion.

You're just drunkposting about things you only have a rudimentary understanding of. Most of your posts ITT have created more ignorance than they've dispelled.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Ranselknulf

You're just drunkposting about things you only have a rudimentary understanding of. Most of your posts ITT have created more ignorance than they've dispelled.

Please enlighten us, or not.

You don't need to be an expert in a subject to have a conversation about it.

If you have something to add to the discussion then by all means. If you just want to attack the poster though, then I'll just ignore you for the time being.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Ranselknulf

Please enlighten us, or not.

I did, reread my post carefully.

This is a forest and trees argument. I feel you are intentionally being obtuse because you want to argue for some reason.

I'm trying to start a discussion about the topic and ur being an autist. Reread my post if you want to see the intentions behind it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom