Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Imagine being DarkUnderlord.

Imagine making a poll to split the codex into cucked and uncucked variants.

Imagine switching over 100 votes between 'Yes' and 'No' because you lose so badly. Then losing anyway.

Sad!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm definitely in favor of such a split.

NeoGAF did it and it improved the place and all discussions there tenfold, since discussions about gaming no longer get derailed by barely related political crap.
It was also noticeable how people who never contributed anything of value to gaming discussions other than occasional screeching were suddenly gone - good riddance!

Also, we have such a split here already. It's just a split by subsections of a forum instead of a split by forum itself.
When stuff gets too damn stupid, it is generally thrown into GD, drama or retardoland already.

The ones among us with a life and less of a desire to get assaulted with non-stop stupidity stay clear of the politics forums already and I have no doubt there are some inverse cases where people almost only post there and rarely in the gaming ones.

So, really, the split is already here - why not make it official?
As long as both sites can be accessed with the same account, I fail to see the problem.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So, really, the split is already here - why not make it official?

There's no split. I get all the notification from a central place. Website notification are already a pain in the ass and you want them to get worse.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If there is a split then the new site should have a new admin/mod crew and there should be a DRAFT LOTTERY for who goes where.

Vatnik Wumao
No point to a split as far as I'm concerned. There are already sanitized places for gaming-related topics (such as the one mentioned by thesheeep), so there's no point in turning the 'dex into a copy of it. This forum has its own identity and that's what makes it worthwhile as an alternative to its more mainstream counterparts.

Splitting it into two would probably shrink the audiences of both significantly, the vidya one being just a copy of other more active forums and the political one degenerating into a /pol/ tier place. The way I see it, most GD frequenters aren't interested in the 'dex as a political forum, but rather as a sort of gentlemen's club in which politically incorrect talks are kosher alongside discussions of our common interest in video games. And seriously, I doubt that DU would want to administer a purely political forum of the sort that the 'dexer community would entail anyway.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Imagine how much fun a DRAFT LOTTERY would be.

Let's say you have the RPG representative pull out a name... it's Dorateen! Yay! Great pull, makes sense for the RPG site and will be a contributing member.

Now the Pol rep pulls out a name... Uh oh, Meredoth! How's HE going to do on the political spectrum? Guess we'll find out!

RPG rep pulls again... oh my god, oh my god, it's KALIN?!?! TURN???

I'm so excited thinking about it. I'd love to just, just get a big ol tub of popcorn and watch it all on my 4k big screen as it unfolds.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
The ones among us with a life and less of a desire to get assaulted with non-stop stupidity stay clear of the politics forums already and I have no doubt there are some inverse cases where people almost only post there and rarely in the gaming ones.
Can we just ban games made before 2010 and send them to the polidex? They have aged so much they have become political and gone past the expiry date. Normal people like you and me just want to play as an inclusive and diverse cast of brave American heroes standing up against the white patriarchy and maybe play some shooters where you mass murder Soviet chuds. Nothing political about that. Pre-2010 games are so gross and political and attracts bad apples. They don't even have full LGBTQ+ representation and the dev teams that made them weren't diverse multicultural groups. Atom RPG should also be sent to polidex while Bioware and Ubisoft games can stay because they aren't political.

fork

Can we just ban games made before 2010 and send them to the polidex? They have aged so much they have become political and gone past the expiry date. Normal people like you and me just want to play as an inclusive and diverse cast of brave American heroes standing up against the white patriarchy and maybe play some shooters where you mass murder Soviet chuds. Nothing political about that. Pre-2010 games are so gross and political and attracts bad apples. They don't even have full LGBTQ+ representation and the dev teams that made them weren't diverse multicultural groups. Atom RPG should also be sent to polidex while Bioware and Ubisoft games can stay because they aren't political.

Your sarcasm is lost on much of current year's Codex I'm afraid.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Your sarcasm is lost on much of current year's Codex I'm afraid.
Not really.
It's just the usual "you're not on my end of the horseshoe therefore you are on the other end" mixed with some "everything is political. I'm very smart".

At some point, you just stop reacting to it.
It's_All_So_Tiresome.png

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
RPG posters will continue being racist and homophobic because it is in our blood, but this time there won't be a containment zone for us to spill our stories about blacks and jews.

And the new Stormfront-lite will be quickly swarmed with 4chan retards.
I wouldn't personally mind a split, but the quoted post seems like the realistic outcome of such a decision.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Agreed. You know what Society Man says: You get what you fucking deserve.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
It's just the usual "you're not on my end of the horseshoe therefore you are on the other end"
There is no «horseshoe». I'm just making fun of the temporal and geographical basis of assumed liberal American universalism as well as the polarized American cultural climate in which every game is dragged into the ongoing culture war, which has to be ignored by self-professed «centrists» who have to change their value judgements as often as they change undergarments. That is charitably assuming that «centrists» ever do so. If you want to make the Codex «apolitical» you need to establish some kind of baseline of what this means. Through the eyes of an American grown up on games in the 90's they were seemingly mostly apolitical and have only recently been made vehicles of propaganda. There are countless other views one could have, to a Middle-Eastern person Soldier of Fortune for example might have some strong ties to politics while others may not think of it as such and just silly fun. But since you seem to be under the assumption that it is best to stay in the «center» of an imaginary «horseshoe» placed in current date America that would imply that games from before 2010 or so must be viewed as disgraceful and problematic and not fit for discussion or attention, unless they are torn down for the sins they commit against the current standards. Because that is what the current politically correct line is, which is the same line the liberal vanguard - or «extremists» - had a decade or so back.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
What do we do with games then that solely exist to push a political agenda? Or games that deal about politics a lot (Disco Elysium)? :shittydog:

Kinda hard to split the Codex when everything about games today is political.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Games were always political. Medal of Honor, which was released in 1999 was political. And I'm sure older examples can be found.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
What do we do with games then that solely exist to push a political agenda? Or games that deal about politics a lot (Disco Elysium)? :shittydog:
In the first case, discuss them as what they are, propaganda.
Might even be propaganda with good game design, who knows - doubtful, though, given the focus was most likely not on the game design.
You can also discuss the fact of a game being propaganda without engaging in propaganda yourself, it's not that hard.

The second case has never been and will never be a problem.
There is a continent-sized difference between a game that has politics naturally as part of its world, setting, etc. and a game that is just an excuse for its authors to preach.

Only idiots point at something like Disco Elysium with a smug "see! Games contain politics!" as if that was ever a point of contention.

It's just the usual "you're not on my end of the horseshoe therefore you are on the other end"
There is no «horseshoe». I'm just making fun of the temporal and geographical basis of assumed liberal American universalism as well as the polarized American cultural climate in which every game is dragged into the ongoing culture war, which has to be ignored by self-professed «centrists» who have to change their value judgements as often as they change undergarments. That is charitably assuming that «centrists» ever do so. If you want to make the Codex «apolitical» you need to establish some kind of baseline of what this means. Through the eyes of an American grown up on games in the 90's they were seemingly mostly apolitical and have only recently been made vehicles of propaganda. There are countless other views one could have, to a Middle-Eastern person Soldier of Fortune for example might have some strong ties to politics while others may not think of it as such and just silly fun. But since you seem to be under the assumption that it is best to stay in the «center» of an imaginary «horseshoe» placed in current date America that would imply that games from before 2010 or so must be viewed as disgraceful and problematic and not fit for discussion or attention, unless they are torn down for the sins they commit against the current standards. Because that is what the current politically correct line is, which is the same line the liberal vanguard - or «extremists» - had a decade or so back.
You could have used WAY less words to say you have no idea what you are talking about.
Would've been a lot friendlier on the eyes, too.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
You could have used WAY less words to say you have no idea what you are talking about.
I bow to your expertise in this matter, a scant few of your words were enough to brand you an imbecile after all.
You can also discuss the fact of a game being propaganda without engaging in propaganda yourself, it's not that hard.
Is that so? We are not living in the 90's anymore. There is no hard border between what is perceived as propaganda and inquiry today. Currently on the Codex many posts of this nature are removed and quarantined. Who gets to decide who is and who is not a propagandist? What is and is not propaganda? Are you not yourself an political actor in this thread and perhaps even perceivable as a propagandist with some agenda in mind? You also don't seem to be able to actually describe what politics being removed from the Codex would look like.
There is a continent-sized difference between a game that has politics naturally as part of its world, setting, etc. and a game that is just an excuse for its authors to preach.
Here too there is not much of a barrier between the two and much of it is in the eye of the beholder. Is LotR Christian propaganda or is it simply an extension of a Christian writer? I could write quite a lot on this matter but since you have urged for brevity so I will summarize it in short so you can understand it. What you conceive of as propaganda and political messaging and authentic and normal depends on your baseline. Do not all writers preach in a sense, willingly or not? It is not something new, I know, but it means it is what you make of it. You want to stifle some discussion and you want to label it «political» when you're being no less «political». By your unironic use of the term «horseshoe» I could dismiss you as an extremist if I wanted to, because who else than an extremist would assume his political position is the center that the entire universe revolves around? The Codex is no place for extremist like you.

Gastrick

Cipher
Instead of that, just make it so you don't have to wait 12 months before you can use the hidden boards and buttons. Make the site instantly available like it used to be. The Codex becomes much better to use with all the extra boards and buttons and shoutbox, especially the "best of" archive, retardoland. For most of time there is almost nothing interesting going on in the games forums, now with Covid and no big titles being released. It got worse with shoutbox being hidden. With very few new users joining and the Codex's low alexa rank (used to be 60,000), these changes would improve the site.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
s that so? We are not living in the 90's anymore. There is no hard border between what is perceived as propaganda and inquiry today
Perception does not determine what is or isn't propaganda.
Just like perception does not determine if 2+2 = 4 or not.
Perception is for subjective issues, good or bad, "fun", etc.

Someone not perceiving propaganda as such simply means they are wrong and should be taught better, if possible.
Same thing the other way around.

I can quote the definition of propaganda, if you'd like, but I fully believe in your capacity to utilize the internet.

You can try and convince me with arguments if a given game is or isn't propaganda.
But if you seriously try to argue that if something is or isn't propaganda is "up to the perceiver", you must be on some good shit.

Currently on the Codex many posts of this nature are removed and quarantined.
Good.
I've got an idea: How about we split off the politics forum into a separate site, just for those idiotic posts that now have to be manually quarantined?
Maybe it will mean a bit lesser of a moderation need, maybe some people will take the hint? Though, admittedly, that might be
clear.png
"fabulously optimistic" as others have pointed out.

Are you not yourself an political actor in this thread and perhaps even perceivable as a propagandist with some agenda in mind?
I thought it was pretty obvious this was about politics in the sense of left-right, SJWs, alt-right, BLM, DRUMPF, yadda, yadda. Not "forum politics" such as this very topic.
I'm not going to do the "but first we need to define what is politics" dance with you, you'll have to look for another partner for that.

You also don't seem to be able to actually describe what politics being removed from the Codex would look like.
I wasn't aware that I needed to. It's not like I'm running the place and have to draw you some pretty, visionary outlines.
I'm just saying it would be a good move, based on other places doing the same thing - all better off for it (at least from the perspective of people there to discuss games and not politics).

Do not all writers preach in a sense, willingly or not?
No, they don't.
They either preach willingly or they are not preaching. You do not preach "by accident" or "unknowingly" if you are working on a game for months/years on end.
You either put political messaging in your games with the clear purpose of either convincing whoever consumes the product or to state that those are the "correct" opinions. Or you don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom